Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Swiss Army MO-93....legit?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-17, 09:28 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts

Saw new old stock, 90’s era Swiss MO-93 advertised bike for sale. Claims Shimano 7 speeds, hydraulic rim brakes, leather saddle and some badass racks and od bags. Built by Condor Cycles of London.

Does anyone have any input/experience with these? Is it legit? Looks like a very cool ride....its over $1200 bucks and Ive never heard of it before. Anyone?
Old 11-20-17, 10:29 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
An old friend had both a '44 MO-5 and -93. The 93 was pretty much as you described, in olive drab and heavy as all get out.

Don't know about value, but they're pretty rare on our shores, and you don't just have to compete with bike people but also military buffs when trying to find and acquire them.

DD
Old 11-21-17, 02:03 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
If it‘s legit it‘s built by Condor SA out of Courfaivre in Switzerland. Don‘t know about the hydraulic brakes but the rest sounds ok. Also don‘t know if the 93 model was built by condor only. The older model was built by several manufacturers (condor and cosmos were among them).
Old 11-21-17, 04:58 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Nice video about M05 and M93 Swiss Army Bicycles

Chas. ;-)

Old 11-21-17, 03:10 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Here's a good shot of my buddy's loaded 93:

And yeah, not Condor Cycles in the UK but the Swiss Condor Cycles. My buddy has done a lot of research on both his MO-5 and 93 . Apparently there were over half a million 5s built but only around 5500 93s, so they are definitely rarer, tho newer. The one above is a '94.

DD
Old 10-08-19, 01:25 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 260 Posts
https://www.campfirecycling.com/blog...-that-and-more

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_army_bicycle

Several large military surplus catalog houses and websellers routinely carry both the SWISS MILITARY MO-93 (the 7 speed from the early 1990's) and the SWISS MILITARY MO-05 (that was a single speed, and was military issue from the early 1900's until the end of the 1980's).
here are some current examples but this is not a complete list and I have no idea whether the condition and current state of such bicycles are actually operational as is....You'd have to inquire with each military surplus seller. Pricing varies some, but these are probably extremely overpriced unless I am misinformed because I don't believe that they have the collectible dollar value of for example popular art-deco American made cruisers from circa 1935 to the sixties. For the collector that just wants one and doesn't care about wildly overpaying, to just have a unique bicycle that is more like an oddball vehicle like a Trabant, YUGO, or Sherman tank for there is no practical reason because all mass produced post WWII American bicycles and most English/Italian/French/Austrian/Belgian/German bicycles from about after 1965 are far superior and everything ever imported from Japan from the late sixties onward is massively superior to these SWISS MILITARY BICYCLES.
Your $129 Wallyworld and Tar-Jay cruisers and geared cruisers from China are so much better than these Swiss beauties that it is almost a joke!
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...used?a=1847491

https://majorsurplus.com/swiss-army-...ike-15149.html

https://majorsurplus.com/swiss-army-...nger-bike.html

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...used?a=1781366

https://www.keepshooting.com/swiss-m...ycle-mo-5.html

Old 10-08-19, 05:21 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts

^^ Maybe mechanically better& lighter, but still not Swiss. It just has a certain panache. 😎 I have a Swiss Military watch, that I picked up at a swap meet a couple months ago. The owner had a few nice military-grade watches, including a cool titanium one, U. S. I think, but when I asked how much, he got embarrased and said, " Sorry, that one's not for sale". 🙁

I was a little disappointed, but not overly so. Plus I got a great deal, I think, on the Swiss one. 😎

EDIT: Added a pic. I bent a pin, while customizing an old band. It works great, waterproof to 200 meters, and has glow-in-the-dark hands. 👌

Last edited by stardognine; 10-08-19 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-08-19, 06:54 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
There are two "Swiss Army Watch" brands (exactly as with the knives). Victorinox and Wenger. All the Wenger watches, that I have changed the battery in, have non Swiss quartz movements- often unjeweled Myota movements. They keep time well for the first 8 to 12 years of their life. The Victorinox, however, have a Swiss made movement, usually ETA, but sometimes Harley Ronda. These are usually jeweled and have a considerably better life span. I would recommend Victorinox over the Wenger, if someone is choosing between the two brands.
Old 10-08-19, 08:04 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by elcraft
There are two "Swiss Army Watch" brands (exactly as with the knives). Victorinox and Wenger. All the Wenger watches, that I have changed the battery in, have non Swiss quartz movements- often unjeweled Myota movements. They keep time well for the first 8 to 12 years of their life. The Victorinox, however, have a Swiss made movement, usually ETA, but sometimes Harley Ronda. These are usually jeweled and have a considerably better life span. I would recommend Victorinox over the Wenger, if someone is choosing between the two brands.
Good info, thanks. 👍 I didn't research it at all, before buying it, just another impulse buy. 😉
Old 10-09-19, 01:06 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,386 Times in 3,671 Posts
Originally Posted by elcraft
No expert by any stretch, but ditto on the knives IMO.
Old 10-09-19, 01:50 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts
https://www.bensbikes.nl/Fiets/Swiss...-Bicycles.html

Enjoy!

And now I want one

Old 10-09-19, 12:57 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by merziac
No expert by any stretch, but ditto on the knives IMO.
I should have guessed as much, on the watches. I kinda knew people prefer the Victorinox knives. I only have a really small Victorinox knife, that I use mostly the little file of. For a blade, I have a much larger Gerber. 😎
Old 10-09-19, 01:13 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,386 Times in 3,671 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
I should have guessed as much, on the watches. I kinda knew people prefer the Victorinox knives. I only have a really small Victorinox knife, that I use mostly the little file of. For a blade, I have a much larger Gerber. 😎
Same here, that file is indispensable, great little knife, they all are. I have a few knives, a friend with a big collection recently gave me a Benchmade Crooked river to carry after a guy was knocked down, dragged and had his Colnago stolen from him on a path I ride to work everyday.

Now that's a knife!

Also have a Buck folder and a Benchmade Bali Song in my small collection, need to get another Victorinox Tinker or similar for everyday use.

Noting really wrong with the Wenger's per say but......
Old 04-22-24, 04:16 AM
Mad Dan Eccles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I currently have an M-05 bicycle '45 dated however its missing the nut for holding on the front mudguard, does anybody happen to know what size nut I'd need to replace it? As I'm drawing a blank searching for anything with this information.