Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Windsor Super Carrera; general value?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-19, 09:59 AM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Windsor Super Carrera; general value?

I have an opportunity to purchase what looks like an 80s Windsor Super Carrera in my size for under $100 (still working on exact price)
It looks like it has some Suntour Cyclone & Shimano Arabesque components and Sugino Apex cranks. So, a mixed group set. I don't know much about Windsors. Definately some goodies among the components.
Would a price of $80-100 be a decent acquisition price?

Old 06-23-19, 10:25 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,767 Times in 635 Posts
If everything is in good working order except for the bad tires and the need for full servicing. The price very good for a nice mid level framed bike with cyclone components. In most markets your not going to do any better at this price.
Old 06-23-19, 12:52 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

The Apex chainset is by Sakae Ringyo and is likely original.

1978 model year catalogue page for the two Carrera variants current at that time:

Inspection tip -

Note that fork is red whilst frame silver.

This tells us fork a replacement.

Whenever fork has been replaced it is wise to carefully examine balance of machine for any impact damage.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 06-23-19 at 01:01 PM. Reason: addition
Old 06-23-19, 08:38 PM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Inspection tip -

Note that fork is red whilst frame silver.

This tells us fork a replacement.

Whenever fork has been replaced it is wise to carefully examine balance of machine for any impact damage.

-----
I missed your post b/c I was driving and picking up the bike at the time.
I did noticed it once I got there. Heres an odd story: the forks not a replacement, but the frame is. So, the seller tells this story: he cracked the seat tube 2 yrs into owning the bike. He went back to the shop; shop owner says there is a warranty. The owner of the bike returns the frame only to the shop. (I guess he kept the fork at home) So, he returns to the shop some time later and the replacement frame is silver not red like the original. For some reason, the bike owner accepts the silver frame and returns home and pairs it with the red original fork. So, thats the story I got. Who knows if its true, but there is absolutely no evidence the bike was ever damaged; original front wheel and hub. No damage to down tube or top tube.
Old 06-24-19, 04:23 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,288 Times in 1,278 Posts
Great Story!! I would get the bike just for the history. I have a Windsor Pro that I ride regularly. It is one of my favorites, even though there are some stories of questionable build quality out there . As my good friend told me about mine, if it hasn't broken by now, you are most certainly OK! Mine rides very well and is the quickest bike I own. I did 40 miles on it yesterday . Also the frame easily takes 28 mm tires. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 06-24-19, 04:32 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

Should you wish to determine a specific birth date for the machine you can check the component date codes with the help of this chart -

Date of Manufacture of Bicycle Components can be used to date a bike: component dating

-----
Old 07-01-19, 09:29 AM
Nathanael47
StumblingNewb

Bikes: Windsor Carrera Special?, Taga Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fwiw - I bought a Windsor a few years back (just the frame, headset and brakes) for $250 - of course I had no idea what I was doing. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-id-frame.html I've really enjoyed it over the past 6 years - enough that I decided to strip it down, and fix it up top to bottom.
So from that perspective you made out like a bandit!
It looks like you have an eyelet on your seatstay, near the cogs - mine didn't have that (mine also has different lugs and chroming pattern) - different year and models.
Are those the original wheels? I had to stretch my dropouts to accommodate modern axles.
Old 07-23-20, 06:55 PM
Nashrambler

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
70's era Windsor Super Carrera available

Hello
I am the original owner of a Windsor Super Carrera with all original gear still attached. The frame has suffered some rust and the paint has taken a beating. But I'd like to sell this bike and I'd be grateful for suggestions of its value.
This was bought sometime in the mid-late 70's in NYC for about $450.00. I am the only owner and rider and kept it in good shape until the past ten years or so, when it was kept unused in a shed in Nashville.
Photos to follow. The frame needs love, but the bike has never been in an accident.
thanks for any suggestions, or offers!
Old 07-23-20, 07:33 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,767 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Nashrambler
Hello
I am the original owner of a Windsor Super Carrera with all original gear still attached. The frame has suffered some rust and the paint has taken a beating. But I'd like to sell this bike and I'd be grateful for suggestions of its value.
This was bought sometime in the mid-late 70's in NYC for about $450.00. I am the only owner and rider and kept it in good shape until the past ten years or so, when it was kept unused in a shed in Nashville.
Photos to follow. The frame needs love, but the bike has never been in an accident.
thanks for any suggestions, or offers!
You really need to start a new thread

Last edited by zukahn1; 07-23-20 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-24-20, 05:19 PM
Pedal303

Bikes: LOOK 595, Univega Viva Sport, Peugeot PSV, Trek 1400, Stranger BMX Custom

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
80-100 sounds pretty fair to me.