Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Great deal on a small part

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-10-20, 01:58 PM
Badzilla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Not talking major finance, but... There is a 13t fixed/track cog (5 left) on eBay (with international shipping) for $7.47 plus tax... "Redline 13T Threaded Track Cog + Lockring 1/8" Track Bike Fixed Gear Fixie NEW"

Is that a fantastic deal, or what? I ordered one plus a spare. The first one, already here, is a perfect circle to at least within 1/10mm. I think it's the more expensive type of cog, not stamped from cheap metal, the lock ring has the force measurements printed on it (like in the pictures). The cog looks high quality made of some hard steel, maybe CNC or whatever (I'm into some metals, but I'm not a machinist).

The lockring appears to be smaller inner diameter than the cog. The cog measures about 2 mm thickness.

Last edited by Badzilla; 03-11-20 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-10-20, 10:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4250 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
If you were interested in trying a 13t cog then it isn't a bad idea. You can test it before you invest in something really nice. However based on pure looks it doesn't look absolutely terrible. I know at one point long ago Redline was quality stuff but not sure now as they have been bought out twice now so who knows?

My chosen cog would be from EAI, if cheap Deluxe, if mid quality Superstar and if I wanted smooth and quiet with a hint of bling Gold Medal, baby! They are all made right here in 'Merica and are of great quality. If not that I would probably go with another Dura Ace one as it is generally pretty cheap considering it is Dura Ace which is the top of the heap for Shimano (aside from XTR on the mountain bike side). The All City stainless cog seems nice as well.

For a fixed gear drivetrain I am willing to spend a bit more because I only have one gear. I also really love a nice smooth quiet drivetrain so I am willing to shell out a bit more for longer lasting quiet parts. The Gold Medal cog feels really nice in the hand and is certainly super smooth and well made, the wallet wasn't a huge fan but the cog comes in a small wallet like pouch so it forgave me. Plus it was I believe used by Sir Chris Hoy one of the finest modern Track racers out there and while I will never even be one tiny iota near to him in cycling prowess and power, I can at least have a durable high performance cog to emulate his drivertrain a little. A lot cheaper than trying to go full Dura Ace Di2 and less complicated.
Old 03-10-20, 11:04 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Link?
Old 03-11-20, 01:38 AM
Badzilla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth