Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Looking for a flatbar road bike / hybrid in South Korea, no luck so far

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-20, 11:23 PM
Namyangju

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I hope I'm posting this in the correct place. I'm almost desperate for help. I've been looking for a flat bar road bike (or hybrid or fitness, I wish they could settle on a name) for the last year and have come up empty, primarily because I am in South Korea. I first tried to get a Specialized Sirrus, then a Trek FX Sport 4, then a Giant Fastroad, and now a Merida Speeder 400. This is the problem; I'm pretty sure I need a large size. I'm a tweener, and I prefer to go a little larger than a little smaller. No bike shop/ dealer of any of the above brands that I have contacted has a large size, NOR WILL THEY ORDER ONE. I've probably contacted 25 local shops here in Korea, and they ALL say that they don't order large sizes. Which must be a bunch of bull because I've seen many bike riders who are taller than my 5'11" frame. Korea is not the land of short people, many are quite tall now in the under 35 crowd. And its not a language issue either. These bike shops only want to sell $5,000-$10,000 road bikes (of which there are many here). I've even contacted the above companies state-side, and you would not believe how unhelpful those people have been.

I'm just wondering if there is anyone who might have an idea what I can do, what I must do, to buy a bike. I've noticed some people from Korea here, but I can't contact them because I just joined today.
Old 04-03-20, 06:39 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1580 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
I believe Canyon ships to S. Korea, so there's an option. Link (Canyon's Kr. site) to the relevant bike:
https://www.canyon.com/en-kr/fitness...ikes/roadlite/
Old 04-03-20, 09:17 AM
Namyangju

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
To Badger1,
Ah, yes, thanks for mentioning that. The Canyon Roadlite is on my list, but with the additional $200 shipping it becomes my most expensive option. Most expensive, and only, option. I just can't get around the fact that none of the mentioned bike companies wants to sell me a bike outside of Canyon. I even offered to put down a hefty deposit.

Anyway, thanks Badger1. I might end up with the Canyon. Really nice bike.
Old 04-03-20, 09:42 AM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Scott appears to offer their bikes through a range of distributors on your side of the pond though I’m not sure if the Metrix line is available or not.

https://www.scott-sports.com/kr/ko/p...icle=274770025
Old 04-04-20, 03:25 AM
Namyangju

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Batstar, thanks for pointing out the Scott Metrix. I had not considered that one, I will check it out when I get home.
Old 04-05-20, 11:11 AM
shuffle7

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was just recently facing the same problem as you over here, tried to get an XL Frame size but no chance.
But I did end up getting a Large Trek FX3 that they had in Store and I was looking at a Giant Content AR 3 before that was also available in Large. So there seem to be at least some Large Frames around? But yea, might be hopeless if you're after a specific model :/

More importantly tho, the Trek Store said that they could Order an XL Size but it would have taken 4-12 Weeks that's why I settled for the Large.
I would try going to the store with a Friend who's a native and have them talk to the Store. Went the one store on my own before and it felt like I was not being taken serious in the first place :/
But if you can wait that long they should be able to order one.
Old 04-05-20, 07:10 PM
Namyangju

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Reply to shuffle7,

Could you tell me which store told you they could order one? This might be my big break.
Old 04-06-20, 01:12 AM
shuffle7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Trek Store is Trek Bicycle Gangnam (Seoul)

The Giant Store I went to is the one near hapjeong Station (Seoul)

I cannot recommend the Giant Store tho. Staff was downright rude and didn't seem interested in being helpful at all.
I would also bring a Korean native speaker to ask about ordering the Bike. When A Korean Friend asked about ordering a bigger Size at the Giant store, they said its possible but will take quite a while. When I went there again on my own and asked about ordering something they just told me that they cannot Order anything.

Good Luck, hope it works out for you!

edit: I'm not allowed to post links yet. I'll send them via PM
edit2: Hm I'm not allowed to send PMs either :/

Last edited by shuffle7; 04-06-20 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-06-20, 01:15 AM
shuffle7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oops... double post, sorry.
Old 04-06-20, 08:07 AM
Namyangju

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Shuffle7, great information, thanks. My wife will call the Trek Store tomorrow. I think that the Trek dealers in the area are also Merida dealers, so that'll give me a possible option. I have experienced exactly what you are talking about, strange that so many in the bike industry here are so unhelpful. I shouldn't paint with a broad brush, because there was a guy in Uijeongbu who had a great attitude, was good with repairs, he just didn't sell what I was looking for. In Hanam City there was a Specialized store with a guy there that also was great with repairs, and made a few phone calls to see about ordering a new bike, but he came back and said he was told that it is impossible to order a Large size. I can wait for a shipment to arrive because I have a Specialized Crosstrail that is fine on the bike paths. Anyway, thanks for the help.
Old 07-08-20, 05:40 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
OP, did you get your bike? PM me if you're still looking, or just reply to this post as there is a new option for Merida.
Old 07-08-20, 06:49 PM
Namyangju

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
OP, did you get your bike? PM me if you're still looking, or just reply to this post as there is a new option for Merida.
PDKL45, I offered to give a bike shop $200 if they would order a Merida bike for me, and they accepted. They said they would have more information about the bike on July 15, and that it will arrive in September.

Curious about the new option for Merida.
Old 07-08-20, 07:43 PM
PDKL45

Originally Posted by Namyangju
PDKL45, I offered to give a bike shop $200 if they would order a Merida bike for me, and they accepted. They said they would have more information about the bike on July 15, and that it will arrive in September.

Curious about the new option for Merida.
Do you know Mike Noonan? He is a foreign guy who has a bike shop down in Busan, Mike Bike. He's working with OD bike, the Korean importers of Merida bikes, to bring in Meridas which are otherwise unavailable, like large framed speeders. Right now you can contact him, get fitted in Busan, or discuss the frame you need with him, make a downpayment and get your 2021 year model Merida in a month or two when they arrive. He's flexible as well, so I'm sure you could pick up your specific model from OD, or have it shipped to you by them, rather than wait for it to go to Busan and be shipped back. Just join the Korean Cycling Network group on Facebook, or contact the Mike Bike Facebook page. It's a pre-sale, so the OD bike guys are fine with it, because the bikes are already sold, and you can basically get whatever you want from the whole Merida range.

The Giant guys (most of them, I know the dismissive attitude all to well) should be able to bring in a large frame Fastroad. They probably order them anyway, but the 2021 models come in right about now. So, for example, if you're looking for a new bike in spring, all of the previous year's large frame bikes have usually sold out, and you'll be out of luck. Now is the best time to buy a bike, because you can get the model you want in the size you want, especially if you commit to buying and give them a deposit first. They--somewhat understandably in some cases--get sick of guys who order a bike and then back out at the last minute when they decide to buy something else. They just don't want to be stuck with a bike that they ordered specially and now don't have a guaranteed buyer for. Like anywhere, money talks, especially if you go in there with cash and a Korean speaker. If they refuse, there are Giant stores all over the place, just go somewhere else.

Also remember, if you're in a shop talking to some kid who works there, he'll be vague and completely non-committal, as he's terrified of saying or doing something that will get him in trouble with the boss. If you can take a Korean native speaker there, or have one call the store, you can arrange a time to meet the owner, who can make decisions and get things done. The younger guys will say and do anything to make you just go away, because they either don't know anything or can't promise anything, but want to maintain face, and so just tell you that something's impossible. If you can tell them that you have money that you are willing to spend in their store if you can get an answer about a bicycle, then they have good news to tell the boss, that someone's willing to give him some money, and will be inclined to help rather than desperately trying to get rid of you. Dealing with Korean bike shops can be a nightmare, but as soon as you speak to the owner and are ready and willing to give him or her money, then things get done.
Old 07-09-20, 11:04 AM
Namyangju

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Do you know Mike Noonan? He is a foreign guy who has a bike shop down in Busan, Mike Bike. He's working with OD bike, the Korean importers of Merida bikes, to bring in Meridas which are otherwise unavailable, like large framed speeders. Right now you can contact him, get fitted in Busan, or discuss the frame you need with him, make a downpayment and get your 2021 year model Merida in a month or two when they arrive. He's flexible as well, so I'm sure you could pick up your specific model from OD, or have it shipped to you by them, rather than wait for it to go to Busan and be shipped back. Just join the Korean Cycling Network group on Facebook, or contact the Mike Bike Facebook page. It's a pre-sale, so the OD bike guys are fine with it, because the bikes are already sold, and you can basically get whatever you want from the whole Merida range.

The Giant guys (most of them, I know the dismissive attitude all to well) should be able to bring in a large frame Fastroad. They probably order them anyway, but the 2021 models come in right about now. So, for example, if you're looking for a new bike in spring, all of the previous year's large frame bikes have usually sold out, and you'll be out of luck. Now is the best time to buy a bike, because you can get the model you want in the size you want, especially if you commit to buying and give them a deposit first. They--somewhat understandably in some cases--get sick of guys who order a bike and then back out at the last minute when they decide to buy something else. They just don't want to be stuck with a bike that they ordered specially and now don't have a guaranteed buyer for. Like anywhere, money talks, especially if you go in there with cash and a Korean speaker. If they refuse, there are Giant stores all over the place, just go somewhere else.

Also remember, if you're in a shop talking to some kid who works there, he'll be vague and completely non-committal, as he's terrified of saying or doing something that will get him in trouble with the boss. If you can take a Korean native speaker there, or have one call the store, you can arrange a time to meet the owner, who can make decisions and get things done. The younger guys will say and do anything to make you just go away, because they either don't know anything or can't promise anything, but want to maintain face, and so just tell you that something's impossible. If you can tell them that you have money that you are willing to spend in their store if you can get an answer about a bicycle, then they have good news to tell the boss, that someone's willing to give him some money, and will be inclined to help rather than desperately trying to get rid of you. Dealing with Korean bike shops can be a nightmare, but as soon as you speak to the owner and are ready and willing to give him or her money, then things get done.

I really appreciate the information. Wish I had known this going in. Im certain we (my korean spouse) ended up talking to more than two dozen bike shops, and every one said it was impossible to order. The shop we eventually succeeded with (because it was our third visit there and the first time we offered a deposit) admitted to my wife that they were afraid of being stuck with a bike they could not sell. All I can do is shake my head and bite my tongue.
Old 07-09-20, 07:45 PM
PDKL45

The deposit is key, huh? As soon as they see cash and realize that you're genuine, they're just fine with actually doing things. Sometimes, with stuff like that, you have to take a step back and realize that there are cultural or other factors underlying the problem and approach things from a different angle. It takes time and experience with Koreans to get it right, and even after a decade, it's still easy to fall into western patterns of though and immediately get irritated or angry, instead of looking for another way around the problem. Money has a power all of its own, though, and basically any problem in a Korean bike shop can be solved if you offer a deposit and politely request a receipt. More often than not, they're not out to cheat you--Koreans are very good in that respect in my experience--but they're just concerned about being left out of pocket, especially when profit margins are as thin as they often are in the local retail sector.

Also, did you go with a Speeder 400? The Speeder 500 is only 50,000 won more (that will probably change after July 17 when the 2021 bike prices are known, though). Still the Speeder 500 is only slightly more expensive and has a couple of much nicer features than the 400 (seatpost, brakes etc). I have been going back and forth between a Speeder and a Giant Fastroad and was very keen to get a new bike this summer, but I think I'm going to wait until next year.

Lastly, are you in living in Namyangju (your user name)? If so do you ride the paths much? I ride through there semi-regularly on the way back from Chuncheon (wait for a North East wind, take the bike carrying train out there from Sangbong and then scream home on the Bukhangang path, through Namyangju).
Old 07-10-20, 08:11 AM
Namyangju

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The deposit is key, huh? As soon as they see cash and realize that you're genuine, they're just fine with actually doing things. Sometimes, with stuff like that, you have to take a step back and realize that there are cultural or other factors underlying the problem and approach things from a different angle. It takes time and experience with Koreans to get it right, and even after a decade, it's still easy to fall into western patterns of though and immediately get irritated or angry, instead of looking for another way around the problem. Money has a power all of its own, though, and basically any problem in a Korean bike shop can be solved if you offer a deposit and politely request a receipt. More often than not, they're not out to cheat you--Koreans are very good in that respect in my experience--but they're just concerned about being left out of pocket, especially when profit margins are as thin as they often are in the local retail sector.

Also, did you go with a Speeder 400? The Speeder 500 is only 50,000 won more (that will probably change after July 17 when the 2021 bike prices are known, though). Still the Speeder 500 is only slightly more expensive and has a couple of much nicer features than the 400 (seatpost, brakes etc). I have been going back and forth between a Speeder and a Giant Fastroad and was very keen to get a new bike this summer, but I think I'm going to wait until next year.

Lastly, are you in living in Namyangju (your user name)? If so do you ride the paths much? I ride through there semi-regularly on the way back from Chuncheon (wait for a North East wind, take the bike carrying train out there from Sangbong and then scream home on the Bukhangang path, through Namyangju).
I went with the 400 because at that point in my search and research I felr it represented the best value (that is, after I decided to focus on Merida). After reading this, and if it had registered in my tiny brain that 50k won more would get a 500, I would have gone in that direction. However, I've liked the fastroad for a long time and almost bought it last year.

Last year was great for riding, but Ive struggled to get out much in 2020 because of job demands. I'm going to end up making a change so I can ride more, because I'm doing this for my health. Yep, I'm in namyangju. You can ride riverside comfortably with nice scenery, or as an option you can go through the middle of namyangju for a little variety, starting at Guri and coming out along the bukhangang. Either way I'll never get tired of the scenery.
Old 07-10-20, 09:12 PM
PDKL45

I went with the 400 because at that point in my search and research I felr it represented the best value (that is, after I decided to focus on Merida). After reading this, and if it had registered in my tiny brain that 50k won more would get a 500, I would have gone in that direction. However, I've liked the fastroad for a long time and almost bought it last year.

Last year was great for riding, but Ive struggled to get out much in 2020 because of job demands. I'm going to end up making a change so I can ride more, because I'm doing this for my health. Yep, I'm in namyangju. You can ride riverside comfortably with nice scenery, or as an option you can go through the middle of namyangju for a little variety, starting at Guri and coming out along the bukhangang. Either way I'll never get tired of the scenery.
You could change your order easily enough, I'm sure. I don't think those bikes are on the boat/plane yet, because prices for 2021 model Meridas look to be released on July 15, and it would probably just take 50,000 or so more to change the order to the 500. The Speeder 400 is very capable, though, and it does have the 105 crankset, while the 500 has an FSA crankset with an Ultegra drivetrain (the 2020 models do at least, but I don't think they'll change a lot). I'm the same as you were right now, going back and forth between the Fastroad and the Speeder, but realizing that it will probably have to wait for another year until I can get either.

Do you ever ride that as a loop? Namyangju - Bukhangang - Guri - Namyangju? Some riders call it a stingray, with the "tail" from the Han in the middle of Seoul. I love that ride through Namyangju, though, much more than the lower section of the Bukhangang.

Last edited by PDKL45; 07-10-20 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-11-20, 01:25 AM
PDKL45

New 2021 Speeders here (Link to Korean OD Bike website with 2021 listings up now):

MORE BIKE MERIDA

The Speeder 400 has a really nice color scheme, and the specs on both are basically identical to the 2020 models. That 400 is a damn nice bike, I'd be very tempted by it if I was buying this year. Full 105 with an attractive colorway, it's a very cool bike.
Old 07-14-20, 07:10 PM
Namyangju

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You could change your order easily enough, I'm sure. I don't think those bikes are on the boat/plane yet, because prices for 2021 model Meridas look to be released on July 15, and it would probably just take 50,000 or so more to change the order to the 500. The Speeder 400 is very capable, though, and it does have the 105 crankset, while the 500 has an FSA crankset with an Ultegra drivetrain (the 2020 models do at least, but I don't think they'll change a lot). I'm the same as you were right now, going back and forth between the Fastroad and the Speeder, but realizing that it will probably have to wait for another year until I can get either.

Do you ever ride that as a loop? Namyangju - Bukhangang - Guri - Namyangju? Some riders call it a stingray, with the "tail" from the Han in the middle of Seoul. I love that ride through Namyangju, though, much more than the lower section of the Bukhangang.
I've done that loop about a half dozen times in the last two years, but my fitness level is such that it seems to take two days to recover. Two years ago my best day was 120km, and this past weekend 45km was not easy. Just need to get out a lot more. I'm hoping a Merida Speeder will be better on the bike paths than my current Specialized Crosstrail hybrid, as much as I've enjoyed that bike.

I've read that Merida went with some FSA components to cut costs on the Speeder 500, and that influenced my decision to go with the 400. Could be faulty thinking. The upgraded brakes admittedly don't move me that much. The 400 is also slightly lighter than the 500. Both bikes would be great to have, in my opinion.
Old 07-14-20, 09:57 PM
PDKL45

I actually agree with you there, I would prefer to have the 105 crankset on the 400 than the FSA crankset on the 500. It's a hugely common tactic in the cycling industry, releasing a bike with most of a groupset and then an FSA or Praxis crankset with some wackadoodle proprietary bottom bracket standard. Ever tried to get a replacement FSA BB in Korea? I'm serious; it's no easy task. You get that strange Korean thing where the shopkeeper is deeply surprised that you would go to them, a bicycle store, to buy a part for your bicycle. "No, of course we don't have one of those! The very idea..." Later the same guy hangs a sternly worded notice in his shop, warning people against buying from the Internet. Drives me nuts.

I know exactly what you mean about the fitness thing, I was the same before the current pandemic took hold and I started bike commuting to work daily to avoid the subway system. Daily commutes have been a revelation to me, and my fitness has improved dramatically. That loop also used to kick my butt as well, but I have slowly managed to increase my average speed with increased riding.
Old 03-29-21, 08:21 PM
PDKL45

I've done that loop about a half dozen times in the last two years, but my fitness level is such that it seems to take two days to recover. Two years ago my best day was 120km, and this past weekend 45km was not easy. Just need to get out a lot more. I'm hoping a Merida Speeder will be better on the bike paths than my current Specialized Crosstrail hybrid, as much as I've enjoyed that bike.

I've read that Merida went with some FSA components to cut costs on the Speeder 500, and that influenced my decision to go with the 400. Could be faulty thinking. The upgraded brakes admittedly don't move me that much. The 400 is also slightly lighter than the 500. Both bikes would be great to have, in my opinion.
Hey OP, did you ever get the Speeder 400?

I'm about to get my own Speeder later this week. It's paid for, but it's having a few things put on it and changed around before I take it home.

Feel free to PM me if you like and we can get the Speeders out for a ride through Namyangju on the bike path there sometime.
Old 04-04-21, 06:29 PM
dr1445

Bikes: jamis 2002 komodo, univega aplina uno, miele toscana 300, 1972 puch brigadier, Marin Sausalito

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Just curious, I spent sometime in sk in the 90’s. I still have some friends there after 20plus years. Non are bikers. I thought at one time there where some shops that did special frame up builds, not so any more?
Old 04-04-21, 07:30 PM
PDKL45

Originally Posted by dr1445
Just curious, I spent sometime in sk in the 90’s. I still have some friends there after 20plus years. Non are bikers. I thought at one time there where some shops that did special frame up builds, not so any more?
Sure, plenty of bike shops will build a bike from a frame.

Merida don't sell Speeder frames as a frameset, though, and a lot of brands don't sell framesets. If you want Speeder geometry, you need to buy a complete bike.

Building from the frame up is prohibitively expensive at times. A complete bike will always be cheaper, especially after Shimano stopped online sales. The local Shimano distributor is frequently sold out of most things, even in non-covid times. Buying a new bike is often only a few hundred dollars more than its Shimano groupset costs in a bike shop, sold at extortionate retail price.

You're suggesting OP should have gone for a custom build from a frame up?
Old 04-05-21, 04:54 AM
dr1445

Bikes: jamis 2002 komodo, univega aplina uno, miele toscana 300, 1972 puch brigadier, Marin Sausalito

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
years back frame up builds were an option, i was just curious of the situation today. thanks for the update.