Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1972 Bianchi build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1972 Bianchi build

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-20, 07:17 AM
sparrish

Bikes: Novara Verita, Trek 4500 MTB, 72 Bianchi Rekord, 1987? Ciocc, 2010 Merckx LXM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1972 Bianchi build

Found this on FB Marketplace locally. After some research, I believe this is a 1972 Bianchi Rekord, although it may be a Corsa.
Disassembled and cleaned. Frame is being blasted and powder coated. Components appear to be a mix of original Campagnolo and "added later". These pics are from the FB ad. I'll post as work progresses.

Old 04-18-20, 07:29 AM
artclone

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Suberbe, '92 (German) Centurion Equipe, '85 Schwinn Peloton, 1983ish Zunow Road Racer project, '69 Squanch Super Tourer, 1980 Bianchi Super Corsa, '82 Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, '89 Miyata 914 project, 1982ish Bianchi Rallye

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Love it. Why are you stripping paint? It looks to be in good condition.

How will you protect the chrome on fork crown from blasting?

(Asking because I have a frame needing powdercoat but has chrome areas I want to save.)
Old 04-18-20, 07:34 AM
sparrish

Bikes: Novara Verita, Trek 4500 MTB, 72 Bianchi Rekord, 1987? Ciocc, 2010 Merckx LXM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by artclone
Love it. Why are you stripping paint, looks to be in good condition? How will you protect the chrome from blasting?

(Asking because I have a frame needing powdercoat but has chrome areas I want to save.)
Stripping because it appeared to be over-sprayed with a "close to original" color. I cleaned up the fork by hand with a chemical paint stripper. There is no chrome on the frame. Powder Coating guy did tell me he can mask to protect chrome as needed.
Old 04-18-20, 07:38 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3813 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

from what may be seen in photos some of the remaining original bits include:

headset

3TTT Tourist stem and bar

wheels

Sheffield pedals

Campag Valentino gear ensemble

Universal brake levers

---

frame tubing is high tensile

if model Rekord original chainset was NERVAR Sport cottered

-----
Old 04-18-20, 08:28 AM
sparrish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! The rear derailleur is a Shimano Crane. Not original to the build, I think. Seat may be original, although there is no marking on it. Seat Post is Campagnolo, and I believe original to the build.
Old 04-18-20, 09:06 AM
juvela

-----

thank you for this additional information

pillar definitely not original

original pillar plain steel

forum has had a number of threads on the Rekord model of the early 1970's; you could browse them to see original kitting

-----
Old 04-18-20, 09:28 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
Do you have any pics of the dropouts? This is a bit older than I am familiar with but I doubt the CampI seatpin is OEM. From wjhat I can see I do kind of agree with the HiTen frame quality. I don't understand your desire to remove tyhe paint because it isn't original, for the quality level of bike we are talking about looks good. Unless you intend to keep this forever you'll never recoup the cost of powder coating.

BTW this does fit you yes? Have to ridden it 100+ miles? What if you put lots of money into this making it better and you don't like the fit or ride?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-18-20, 10:20 AM
sparrish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Do you have any pics of the dropouts? This is a bit older than I am familiar with but I doubt the CampI seatpin is OEM. From wjhat I can see I do kind of agree with the HiTen frame quality. I don't understand your desire to remove tyhe paint because it isn't original, for the quality level of bike we are talking about looks good. Unless you intend to keep this forever you'll never recoup the cost of powder coating.

BTW this does fit you yes? Have to ridden it 100+ miles? What if you put lots of money into this making it better and you don't like the fit or ride?
Pics of dropouts attached. Good points on the level of spending on this bike. Frame is my size. Blasting and coating is $100. Bike was next to nothing. Literally. The wild card for spending will be the wheels. Not sure the rims are usable. I need to decide if I am widening the frame to accommodate a more modern rear hub, then using 700c wheels that I have laying around. Could buy rims and spokes and use the existing hubs and freewheel. I have a set of correct Universal brakes in a parts bin. I think a pair of new lever hoods is $27. I may splurge and get repro decals for $50. Next on the bench is an 80s Ciocc, also in my size, that may ride better than this Bianchi. We'll see.

Old 04-18-20, 10:47 AM
juvela

-----

thank you for the new photos

frame ends -

dropouts are Agrati Nr. 000.8002

fork ends are Agrati Nr. 000.8010

IIRC the Rekord model of this time came with the Agrati stamped dropouts which have an integral gear hanger

of course the 1972 date puts it at the height of the boom and substituions of often required to keep production wheels turning...

---

original brake calipers for the Rekord model were Universal Extra model 51

if saddle original it will likely be marked on the underside with something such as "S. Marco, Made In Italy"

cycle's Sheffield pedals look to be the Corsa Nr. 655 model. toe clips appear to be AFA brand from France.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 04-18-20 at 01:32 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-18-20, 11:25 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
I'd have it powder coated in Celeste. It is Bianchi's traditional color and "could" make the bike more desirable if/when you sell it.
Old 04-18-20, 03:30 PM
aquiver

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
goodluck!
Old 04-18-20, 08:12 PM
sparrish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

-----
Thanks for the list of original parts. Very helpful! I am surprised the brakes were not either Model 61 Center pull or Model 68 Side pull.
Old 04-18-20, 08:25 PM
juvela

-----

here is an image of the NERVAR Sport cottered chainset on a REKORD model cycle of 1971. note also the Sheffield Corsa Nr. 655 pedals, Campag Valentino front mech, NISI wheel rims, frame pump and Campag cable guide combination pump holder.

the Campag combination cable guide and pump holder on your bicycle is part number 630 and is shown here in the catalogue of 1960 -

-----

Last edited by juvela; 04-19-20 at 07:37 AM. Reason: addition
Old 04-19-20, 06:33 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

thank you for the new photos

frame ends -

dropouts are Agrati Nr. 000.8002

fork ends are Agrati Nr. 000.8010

IIRC the Rekord model of this time came with the Agrati stamped dropouts which have an integral gear hanger

of course the 1972 date puts it at the height of the boom and substituions of often required to keep production wheels turning...

---

if saddle original it will likely be marked on the underside with something such as "S. Marco, Made In Italy"

cycle's Sheffield pedals look to be the Corsa Nr. 655 model. toe clips appear to be AFA brand from France.

-----
So you're saying they would have put a lower end dropout on the bike without a hanger on a run of frames? Or is possible this is a lower end model that somewhere in the last 40 years got spruced up a bit?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-19-20, 06:35 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by sparrish
Pics of dropouts attached. Good points on the level of spending on this bike. Frame is my size. Blasting and coating is $100. Bike was next to nothing. Literally. The wild card for spending will be the wheels. Not sure the rims are usable. I need to decide if I am widening the frame to accommodate a more modern rear hub, then using 700c wheels that I have laying around. Could buy rims and spokes and use the existing hubs and freewheel. I have a set of correct Universal brakes in a parts bin. I think a pair of new lever hoods is $27. I may splurge and get repro decals for $50. Next on the bench is an 80s Ciocc, also in my size, that may ride better than this Bianchi. We'll see.

OK This will look fabuous in Celeste with Super Leggera style decal set.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-19-20, 09:21 AM
sparrish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
So you're saying they would have put a lower end dropout on the bike without a hanger on a run of frames? Or is possible this is a lower end model that somewhere in the last 40 years got spruced up a bit?
Here is a pic from another thread that seems to show a similar hanger on a similar bike.
Old 04-19-20, 03:56 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by sparrish
Here is a pic from another thread that seems to show a similar hanger on a similar bike.
-----

thank you for finding and posting this image

must be that me poor memory misserved me once again

either that or they came through both ways...

note that pedals on cycle in image have been changed

the Sheffield model 655 is rather narrow between its inner an outer spurs so that many riders find they cannot get their shoe in

have nicknamed it "the ballerina pedal"

note that your frame is constructed with a true three-piece head while the cycle in this image is built with a bulge-formed head

a three-piece head is stronger/preferable and costs slightly more

-----
Old 05-01-20, 04:40 AM
sparrish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picture is a bit more saturated than it should be, but frame is back from Powder Coating