Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help Identifying Noise

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Help Identifying Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-20, 12:47 PM
Shemmy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Help Identifying Noise

I heard this noise all day commuting on my Trek Emonda ALR 5 Disc that I just bought 2 weeks ago. Only 125km so far on the bike, thought it might be the chain and threw some Wet Lube on before riding home and did not solve the issue. Help?

Post video of noise to YouTube
Old 04-21-20, 12:54 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
It's basically impossible to help you only relying on this video... Where is the noise coming from? Is the chain rubbing on the FD (front derailleur)?
Old 04-21-20, 12:57 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
If the noise only occurs when the pedals are turning, check that the excess cable (the part sticking out from the pinch bolt) that operates your front derailleur isn’t being rubbed by your shoe with each pedal revolution. You will not hear this noise while working the gears while the bike I on a work stand.