Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Race vs Endurance Geometry - if you had to pick one

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-20, 09:58 AM
OhLylo

Bikes: FX3 Frankenbike, Emonda SL5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Getting close to NBD for me. I'm vacillating between buying a Trek Emonda or Domane of the same spec (SL5). The Domane is more expensive for some reason, but the spec seems to be very similar. Same 105 group, same grade carbon frame. The Emonda is a bit lighter and has skinnier stock tires. Anyways, they seem similar enough that it comes down to the geometry as to which will be better as an all-rounder. Domane has the endurance geometry while Emonda has the H2 geometry. My riding type is a combination of things - I commute, I'm doing Sufferfest, and working towards a fall imperial century after rehabbing a knee surgery.

Thoughts on which is better as the main ride in the stable? I'll probably leave my FX3 on the trainer.
Old 05-08-20, 10:06 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Unless you're competing, I'd favour the Domane as a do-it-al rig. I love climbing but still favour the Domane for its versatility. A significant enough difference is the steering dynamics, the Domane being more stable versus the more agile handling of the emonda - something you might want to experience for yourself before making a final decision.
Old 05-08-20, 10:08 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
True "Race" geometry is H1, H2 is a bit easier on the back.

I have a Emonda SLR H2 and love it. I also vacation every year in Scottsdale in February and rent a Domane SL and don't find it any easier on my body than the Emonda.
Old 05-08-20, 10:11 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
This is going to depend heavily on what’s most comfortable for you - I’m happier with a longer and lower geometry, even for comfort. If you’re coming from an FX though, I suspect you’d prefer the endurance - a race geometry could be quite a shock.

The Trek dealer should let you try them though.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-08-20, 10:14 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
This is going to depend heavily on what’s most comfortable for you - I’m happier with a longer and lower geometry, even for comfort. If you’re coming from an FX though, I suspect you’d prefer the endurance - a race geometry could be quite a shock.

same here, had a more upright geo and I hated it, R3 isn’t super aggressive, but lower than my Z4 and I’m much more comfortable and efficient
Old 05-08-20, 10:37 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
The way I see it, fit is fit. The end goal is to get a fit that lets you ride quickly and comfortably: if you can do that for 60 minutes, you can do that for several hours. On the other hand, a bike that you can only ride for 60-90 minutes or with significant discomfort isnt a good fit (you arent going to be putting out a lot of power if your back/core is hurting, either).

So IMO, Race vs Endurance geometries arent either-or alternatives - they are just shorthand for bike with different fit characteristics. Based on your body type, flexibility, core, etc, one will fit you better than the other. That's the fit to get.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 05-08-20, 10:42 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
The Domane is heavier and more expensive because of the IsoSpeed. IsoSpeed will help take the edge off of cracks and potholes and will generally leave you feeling fresher on longer rides; how important that is to you is up to you to decide.

As far as geometry, are you asking about things from a handling perspective or from a fit perspective? Geometry and weight will leave the Emonda feeling more responsive/twitchy, depending upon your perspective and preferences. Unless you'd be slamming the stem on the Emonda, the stack and reach differences probably aren't terribly significant.
Old 05-08-20, 10:48 AM
OhLylo

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug

To be fair, my FX is a frankenbike with Jones bars and a 1x conversion, so it's not quite as relaxed as the stock FX with flats. I'm hoping they will let me try both this weekend (no guarantees in the time of Corona). Just curious what other people prefer as a daily driver. I'm not going to be competing against anyone except myself so I'm not stressed about buying the most race-ready rig ever, but I don't want to get an endurance bike and wish I'd bought the racier one, or get the racier one and be annoyed at my discomfort after a scant hour's ride.
Old 05-08-20, 10:52 AM
OhLylo

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The Domane is heavier and more expensive because of the IsoSpeed. IsoSpeed will help take the edge off of cracks and potholes and will generally leave you feeling fresher on longer rides; how important that is to you is up to you to decide.

As far as geometry, are you asking about things from a handling perspective or from a fit perspective? Geometry and weight will leave the Emonda feeling more responsive/twitchy, depending upon your perspective and preferences. Unless you'd be slamming the stem on the Emonda, the stack and reach differences probably aren't terribly significant.
Ah, I hadn't considered the IsoSpeed. I've never tried it so I will have to see how that goes. That might be a difference maker, honestly.

I'm strictly worried about fit perspective. I have bad wrists and a bulging disc at C6 so a bad fit/poor position slays me even more than it would for healthy folks.
Old 05-08-20, 11:01 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by OhLylo
I'm strictly worried about fit perspective. I have bad wrists and a bulging disc at C6 so a bad fit/poor position slays me even more than it would for healthy folks.
You're looking at 1-2cm differences in stack and reach between the two models. Unless you can't get low enough on the Domane or can't get upright enough on the Emonda, you should be able to make adequate spacer and stem adjustments.
Old 05-08-20, 11:08 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
When you're talking race geometry, it depends entirely on how tall you are. Head tubes have a more-or-less minimum length. Thus the shorter one's legs are, the less drop will be built into the frame. For endurance work, most folks like ~10cm drop. Go sit on them if you can. Nicer to not have a great stack of spacers under the stem - and have to order the stem uncut, etc.
Old 05-08-20, 11:25 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Originally Posted by OhLylo
Ah, I hadn't considered the IsoSpeed. I've never tried it so I will have to see how that goes. That might be a difference maker, honestly.

This could be an important factor. I haven't ridden a Domane but from what I've read and heard, the ISO speed provides much of the same benefits as the future shock on my Roubaix. I can tell you that it makes a huge difference on really bad pavement and if your wrists or back are bothered by the jarring from hitting cracks and potholes, and you ride a lot of poor pavement, it may be a big benefit assuming the general fit is OK.

Seems like the Trek dealer should be able to take some measurements and advise you on whether one or the other is a better fit for you.
Old 05-08-20, 12:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
For the difference some mfr's have between race and endurance, it's more a matter of marketing than actual significant differences. New bikes that are supposed to be "race" come with plenty of spacers below the stem that put it back toward the endurance side.

So maybe it's more a question if you think you might want to get lower on the bike at some point in the future.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-08-20, 01:20 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Have you test ridden them? Get the one that fits the way you like and has the ride characteristics you prefer.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-08-20, 01:29 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Go with the one that fits you better. Some years back, when I was a Specialized rider, my choice when I was shopping for a fast endurance bike was between a Roubaix and a Tarmac. Unlike most people (at least according to the marketing), I found the Tarmac to be more comfortable than the Roubaix. I went with the Tarmac even though it had a "racier" geometry. The Tarmac geometry just fit me better.

OTOH, I recently downsized from two bikes to one. Both bikes are comfy. Both are fast enough. I went with the gravel bike and sold my road racer. My choice was based on versatility -- and that could likely be a factor between the two bikes you are considering, too.
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 05-08-20, 01:56 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
Unless there's something really extreme about your desired setup, you should be able to get nearly identical fit measurements between these two bikes. The only difference will be the number of spacers under the headset, length of stem, where the seat is positioned, etc.

The reason racers generally don't like endurance bikes is because they are already running slammed stems on race bikes to keep their setup as aero as possible. Unless this is your goal, you should have no problem making either bike fit correctly.

That said, if you're needing to add a bunch of spacers or a high rise stem to an Emonda to make it fit right, you might be better off with something else.
Old 05-08-20, 03:12 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
The way I see it, fit is fit. The end goal is to get a fit that lets you ride quickly and comfortably: if you can do that for 60 minutes, you can do that for several hours. On the other hand, a bike that you can only ride for 60-90 minutes or with significant discomfort isnt a good fit (you arent going to be putting out a lot of power if your back/core is hurting, either).

So IMO, Race vs Endurance geometries arent either-or alternatives - they are just shorthand for bike with different fit characteristics. Based on your body type, flexibility, core, etc, one will fit you better than the other. That's the fit to get.
^^^ This.
And as has also been pointed out there is not a lot of difference between these two bikes if they are both H2 geometry.
So unless your fit as at the extreme limit you should be able to get it on either frame.
I have had both and prefer the Emonda, but the iso speed on the Domane does give it a bit of a more comfortable ride.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 05-08-20, 03:34 PM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
I like the geometry of my TCR and as I'm losing more weight it's getting easier to ride. However in the last week I'm finding I LOVE the geometry of my gravel bike. It's a little more relaxed and thus more comfy to ride. I got a smoking deal on the TCR so I'm not complaining...
Likes For ronin4740:
Old 05-09-20, 06:24 AM
bung

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5, Trek Fuel EX7, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
I have a Spec Roubaix and an Emonda. Honestly the only difference I notice between geometries is that there is toe overlap with the Emonda.
Old 05-09-20, 07:23 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by bung
I have a Spec Roubaix and an Emonda. Honestly the only difference I notice between geometries is there is toe overlap with the Emonda.
Random question comparing these 2 geometries.. and would help me better understand what feeds into a bike's geometry:
An size 58 Emonda has 57.3cm Effective Top Tube, 391mm reach and 596mm stack. A size 58 Roubaix has a 579mm top tube, 392mm reach, and 630mm stack.

The question is how is the over 3cm of additional stack achieved on the Roubaix, given that the Headtube Length for the Emonda is 19cm, while for the Roubaix, it's only 17cm?
Old 05-09-20, 08:34 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Random question comparing these 2 geometries.. and would help me better understand what feeds into a bike's geometry:
An size 58 Emonda has 57.3cm Effective Top Tube, 391mm reach and 596mm stack. A size 58 Roubaix has a 579mm top tube, 392mm reach, and 630mm stack.

The question is how is the over 3cm of additional stack achieved on the Roubaix, given that the Headtube Length for the Emonda is 19cm, while for the Roubaix, it's only 17cm?
Some combo of BB drop and longer fork arms (for greater tire clearance).
Old 05-09-20, 02:31 PM
Bianchi67

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The newer Roubaix have the future shock and that is included in the stack measurement.
Old 05-09-20, 03:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
If you have a significant amount of stopping on your commute, you might consider bb drop. It can make the difference between a comfortable toe down at a light vs floundering around to dismount. As others have mentioned, you should be able to get very similar fit on either bike but you want to avoid a clown stack of spacers under the stem. Tire clearance might also matter but most new bikes will clear at least a 28mm. Trek website was too slow for me to check. Everyone must be shopping
Old 05-10-20, 06:14 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 1,352 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
If you have a significant amount of stopping on your commute, you might consider bb drop. It can make the difference between a comfortable toe down at a light vs floundering around to dismount.
Supporting yourself by your toe is not very stable and adds another complication to picking a bike. A purpose-built commuting bike will let you put more than a toe down (but the OP wasn't talking about that sort of bike).

If you are "floundering around", you have another problem (which you shouldn't be trying to solve with a slightly lower BB).
Old 05-10-20, 06:38 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Some combo of BB drop and longer fork arms (for greater tire clearance).
I checked.. the spesh fork length of 370mm is standard. BB drop of 74.5mm is pretty normal but it is nonetheless about 6mm more than Trek's.

Originally Posted by Bianchi67
The newer Roubaix have the future shock and that is included in the stack measurement.
I think this must be a good part of the 5cm unexplained difference. ie. Most brands' endurance bikes that list 63cm of stack have ~22cm headtubes (not 17). Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.