Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Doing a Newport (NJ) to Elizabeth ride via SI

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 07-01-20, 04:45 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts

I plan on doing a ride from Jersey City/Newport through Bayonne and across both the Bayonne and Goethals bridges to Elizabeth and back tomorrow. Any advice on what to avoid? I mapped the route with RidewithGPS but I have no idea if the roads are any good where it put me. It put me on Kennedy Blvd through Bayonne, and through Liberty St Park.

The full route is here: RidewithGPS Route

The approach to the Goethals bridge is incorrect as Gulf St is one way and it wouldn't trace that. The sidewalk is marked as the bike route. The return route is correct and I would do it both ways.

I'm not doing this expecting great riding conditions, I just want to ride the two bridges. I've never been to Newport or Bayonne even though I've lived in Brooklyn almost my entire life.

As I checked out how this came out after posting I saw that it may be possible to complete the loop? I know there was a long thread about riding to Newark, would it take some of the same roads?

On second thought, never mind about looping back. I know this could be some of the worst roads in the country.

Last edited by zacster; 07-01-20 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-02-20, 07:39 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
Well I gave it a try today but it was just to hot. First off, parking in Jersey City is impossible, it is all 2 hour parking. I gave up there and went to Liberty State Park. I got up to the top of the Bayonne Bridge and decided that it was enough. The bridge is about a 5% incline, much greater than any other bridge I've been on in NYC. It also was never clear whether all of the paths that were chosen with RidewithGPS actually went through in Liberty Park, but now that I look at the map I guess they did. I'll try again in the fall when it is cooler.