Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chain skip

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-20, 04:49 PM
ironhands

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Chain skip

So, as the title suggests, chain is skipping. I've replaced the front gears a few months ago, hadn't ridden since then (winter, lockdown). Rode monday, no issues. Lubed the chain and gears when I got home, Tuesday, slipping and skipping. Front set had some shark fin going on, but the back looks fine, and it happens on any gear, even though I almost never shift (maybe once every few months). Happens mostly when I'm going up a hill or just getting started, any high-torque situation, but it won't slip when the back wheel is stationary.
any ideas? I figure my chain is either too stretched or my derailleur spring is shot. Both components are original, and this is a crap Dept store bike, gotta be 5 years old now.
Probably best to replace both, that's likely the problem, right?
Edit - 7 years old based on my first post. Time flies!
Old 07-03-20, 05:54 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Well first thing you could do is search the internet for recommended replacement schedule for parts of the drivetrain. What was the reason for installing new chainrings? It would not be effective to only install new chainrings if both the chain and cassette after 7 years old. Usually the chain gets replaced multiple times before the cassette and then the chainrings. If the chain is really old and you install new chainrings then you'll get bad engagement. If you replace the chain and you have very old cassette then you'll also get bad engagement..
Old 07-03-20, 06:13 PM
ironhands

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
Well first thing you could do is search the internet for recommended replacement schedule for parts of the drivetrain. What was the reason for installing new chainrings? It would not be effective to only install new chainrings if both the chain and cassette after 7 years old. Usually the chain gets replaced multiple times before the cassette and then the chainrings. If the chain is really old and you install new chainrings then you'll get bad engagement. If you replace the chain and you have very old cassette then you'll also get bad engagement..
Cassette is about 2 years old (replaced the wheel and the guy at the shop noticed one of the gears was fractured), replaced the chainring because the crank loosened and wouldn't stay in. Just a cheap bike, I'm not putting miles and miles on it a day so it doesn't have to be perfect, especially since cash is an issue right now, just back to work after a 4 month layoff and the wife's out of work waiting on surgery.
I'd replace the whole bike if I could but if a $20 chain and a 20$ derailleur will resolve it for now, that's what I'll need to do. Can't really afford to replace the entire drivetrain, and I expect the rest of the cassette is fine since I practically never use anything but the one in the middle, honestly maybe an hour of use over two years.
Old 07-03-20, 06:37 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Your derailer adjustment may be a bit off, won't cost anything to look. On your derailer housing you should have a barrel adjuster somewhere. Turn the adjuster 1/2 turn counterclockwise, ride around & shift. Better or worse? Try another 1/2 turn. Worse, go back to original plus 1/2 turn clockwise, better or worse? You get the idea. You can turn the bike upside down in the grass, turn the crank, shift, and look how the derailer lines up with the cogs. Cogs have no sideplay with the hub? Best of luck.

Last edited by grizzly59; 07-03-20 at 08:31 PM.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 07-03-20, 06:37 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Reading through the post it sounds to me like you have a chain link binding. I would check each link with my fingers and make certain there aren't any tight links that won't pivot easily between your fingers. That happens to me when I neglect cleaning and re-waxing the chain often enough. Especially if I ride in or shortly after a rain and the tires are kicking up lots of light sand/grit that sticks to everything. If all the links feel fine, then check your tuning adjustments and make sure the chain is centered over each cog that it should be and not being pulled to either side (fine tune it). A very worn chain and gears will still function properly if adjusted correctly. They didn't wear out in a week since the last time you rode. Check the links.

Grizzly and I were typing at the same time. That;s good advice and a great tutorial.

Last edited by Bigbus; 07-03-20 at 06:41 PM.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 07-03-20, 06:41 PM
ironhands

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
On your derailer housing you should have a barrel adjuster somewhere. Your derailer adjustment may be a bit off. Turn the adjuster 1/2 turn counterclock, ride around & shift. Better or worse? Try another 1/2 turn. Worse, go back to original plus 1/2 turn clockwise, better or worse? You get the idea. You can turn the bike upside down in the grass, turn the crank, shift, and look how the derailer lines up with the cogs. Cogs have no sideplay with the hub? Best of luck.
Ill give that a shot, I'm certain it's a little out anyway and needs calibration
Old 07-03-20, 06:45 PM
ironhands

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
Reading through the post it sounds to me like you have a chain link binding. I would check each link with my fingers and make certain there aren't any tight links that won't pivot easily between your fingers. That happens to me when I neglect cleaning and re-waxing the chain often enough. Especially if I ride in or shortly after a rain and the tires are kicking up lots of light sand/grit that sticks to everything. If all the links feel fine, then check your tuning adjustments and make sure the chain is centered over each cog that it should be and not being pulled to either side (fine tune it). A very worn chain and gears will still function properly if adjusted correctly. They didn't wear out in a week since the last time you rode. Check the links.

Grizzly and I were typing at the same time. That;s good advice and a great tutorial.
I do find it strange that it didn't start skipping until after I lubed the chain, but it makes sense that when I'm applying too much pressure, it may be trying to pass over before it's relaxed to the right angle. Thanks for the advice I'll giver a go in the morning, hopefully it's something that I can resolve without spending cash on!