Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery dropped seatstays bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-20, 07:30 AM
brunner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys,
I was looking at an ad for this bike, but i can't figure out who built it
The dropped seatstays might help identifying it? Is that a Cinelli logo on the fork?
No other useful pictures in the ad, unfortunately, and no head badge

Old 07-14-20, 09:50 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Wishbone fastback seat stays also, it looks like. Raleigh made a frame like that with the thickish upper portion with a unicrown fork but your bike could have had a fork replacement. Yours is probably not one of these (probably nicer) but just showing what's out there.

Gazelle used internal cable routing but details are different. We need better pix.

Last edited by thumpism; 07-14-20 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-14-20, 06:55 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Whatever is engraved on the forkcrown it sure does NOT look like a Columbus dove or a Cinelli "C" there seems to be some icon with a name in a curve under that icon, too blurry to even count letters. BUT that may be a Hatta Swan headset which makes me ask: are you in Benelux, brunner?
Old 07-14-20, 07:23 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Indented seat tube... watch the max tire size!
Old 07-16-20, 05:20 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Indented seat tube... watch the max tire size!
Good point, that's a really close clearance. Front clearance minimal too. Wonder what the wheelbase is... Doubt the seller knows much, looking at the front skewer.

Last edited by Last ride 76; 07-16-20 at 05:28 PM. Reason: vertical drops.
Old 07-17-20, 03:53 AM
brunner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for your time. Unfortunately the seller didn't reply to my messages asking for more pictures, so i think this will remain a mistery
Old 07-17-20, 06:39 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Just noticed that Gazelle frame also has an indented seat tube, but we may never know. Maybe the seller will join up here and post in the C&V Sales. Hey, it could happen.
Old 07-17-20, 01:17 PM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 192 Posts
Too bad the seller isn't responding; low res picture from the ad makes it hard to make a good ID.

Although I have not come across an exact match to this mystery frame, it reminds me quite a bit of the Biemmezeta Cronostar that came out around mid 80s. There's not a lot of those around but there were at least two different versions, so it's possible that the mystery frame did come out of the BMZ shop at possibly a later date than their original Cronostar.

The only rebadged BMZ Crono-Stars I'm aware of (there may have been others) was sold by Cratoni (a German company more known for helmets nowadays). Cratoni Crono-Stars had two styles of internal cable routing through the top tube, one with grommets on top of the tube and one on the side.

Also, looking at the paint on the bike - aside from the Cinelli and continental stickers, and a few patches of white paint applied to the front of the head tube and the fork - this just might be the original paint.
Some Cratoni bikes had the same pinstripes painted along the three main tubes with the panels on the inside of the triangle. They also had the contrasting fade paint on the head lugs and the seat lug. Here's what I'm talking about on a Cratoni 'Colorado':

Finally, the fork crown, while not really legible, could fit the Cratoni logo (which was just a variation of the original on the BMZ badged bikes), although even some Cratonis came with the generic "Columbus" fork:

The two things that don't match frames I've seen so far are the shifter mounts and the chainstay cable stop (under the stay vs internal exiting up top) - it's not impossible there were more than just two variations of these frames that BMZ put out.
Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 07-17-20, 02:34 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I think you're right, especially if yet another brand was buy frames, they would want there's to be a little different than say Cratoni's.

I thought the one with gold accents was perhaps a show bike, actually I assumed that it was.
Old 07-17-20, 06:07 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
I see enough to be close to convinced, certainly the "Cratoni" clues are strong and am preparing to eat my words about the "blob" above the curved letters NOT being a Columbus dove! More fascinating stuff from Maurice Moss!