Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help in choosing a bike please! A newbie!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-20, 11:32 PM
vimal85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all. I am completely new to the world of biking and I am looking to purchase a bike just for casual biking on weekends along paved biked paths. I am a 34 year old male and almost 5.8. I just started researching and saw that there are road bikes, hybrids, mountain, etc and with the COVID thing, it is becoming virtually impossible to find any bike, forget a low cost one. However, I did find a couple of budget bikes and I have to choose between the two. The first one is a Schwinn Al Comp mountain bike 27.5 from Walmart and the other is a Schwinn Signature Men's Standpoint 27.5 from Dick's sporting goods. Links are below.
Not able to post links because of the awesomely logical rule of having to post 10 posts first ( limit of 5 per day ). Brilliant job moderators!!! Would love to have more draconian rules.

The AL comp from Walmart is $224 and the Standpoint from Dick's is $399. I tried to compare the specs and found some similarities and differences but I have absolutely no idea which bike is better for me as I do not understand all the technicalities. As I said before, I am a complete beginner and I don't want to spend too much for my first bike. At the same time, I do not want to spend money on a junk bike and end up spending more money on repairs if any. So kindly request you all to help out here and help me choose between the two! Why is the stand point priced almost $200 more than the AL comp? At face value, the obvious choice seems as if I should go for the AL comp but is the extra $200 for the standpoint really worth it? What am I missing here? Kindly help out !! I have ordered both and I have to cancel one of the two ASAP.
Old 07-21-20, 04:14 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
These are crazy times - both of those bikes are kind of pretender mountain bikes that no one would normally recommend for actual mountain biking. For paved riding, they are heavy and the shock forks are just added weight. Also, Walmart bike building is often pretty bad.

All that said, biking is better than not biking. If those are your only alternatives, (caveat: I have ridden neither of these bikes, just looked at the specs) I don't think you gain much for the $200 extra for the Standpoint, the components are nearly identical and not much difference wheel-wise.

One caveat: there is apparently a blue Comp AL with rear rim brake and a kind of funky derailleur hanger; and a silver model that has a disc brake in the rear and a "normal" derailleur hanger. Neither is really a deal breaker at that price but if you had a choice, go with the silver one.
Old 07-21-20, 05:09 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
HOnestly for your purposes I'd be looking at hybrid bikes not mountain bikes

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...nshkmntb15xfbb
Old 07-21-20, 05:23 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
A used hybrid on Facebook Marketplace or Craiglist would serve you better than either of those two selections.
Old 07-21-20, 05:23 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
A used hybrid on Facebook Marketplace or Craiglist would serve you better than either of those two selections.
Old 07-21-20, 07:42 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
I'd agree normally - but here the used market prices are completely wacky. Used bikes of this ilk are going for the same as new.

The Al Comp looks fine, honestly. Get a few tools if you don't have them and use the Park Tools website videos to do adjustments. At least it has threadless headset, isn't 1 piece cranks, so you can likely find replacement parts when needed. Make sure you bed in the brakes (drag them lightly before full stops - again, check out Park Tool), and don't pull the brake lever when the rotor isn't in the caliper...... you'll figure it out.
Old 07-21-20, 12:01 PM
vimal85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you!
Old 07-21-20, 12:15 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Originally Posted by Viich
I'd agree normally - but here the used market prices are completely wacky. Used bikes of this ilk are going for the same as new..
Depends on your market.
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik...163348752.html

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik...161538920.html

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik...161083819.html

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik...137249134.html

https://madison.craigslist.org/bik/d...162879750.html
Old 07-21-20, 12:26 PM
vimal85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started to look for hybrids only. All of these listings are awesome unfortunately there is virtually nothing near my area. I have spent countless hours scourging through Craigslist, Facebook market place, offer up and calling up every bike shop near me and far away from me as well. Nothing . Very few were there and most of them were either old or too small or very expensive. I got fed up and already nearly half of summer is over so I thought I will just go ahead with whatever is available
Old 07-21-20, 01:54 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by vimal85
I started to look for hybrids only. All of these listings are awesome unfortunately there is virtually nothing near my area. I have spent countless hours scourging through Craigslist, Facebook market place, offer up and calling up every bike shop near me and far away from me as well. Nothing . Very few were there and most of them were either old or too small or very expensive. I got fed up and already nearly half of summer is over so I thought I will just go ahead with whatever is available
There is nothing wrong with old bikes, especially if they are maintained. Which major city are you near?
Old 07-21-20, 02:04 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Me personally, I would pick a bike with wheels and pedals and at that price point be happy that they roll. Good luck with whatever you buy. Any day on a bike is almost certain to be a good day.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 07-21-20, 03:41 PM
partyanimal

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 34 Posts
One caveat to buying cheap (wal-mart) bikes - if you're a total newbie to riding bikes and you buy a crappy bike, you may not have a great newbie experience and it may turn you off to biking. Not saying you should go right out and buy the best there is. Obviously you need to buy what you can realistically afford. But I've always found the thought of "i'm not sure if i'll like it so I'll just buy the cheapest one just in case" will more often than not guarantee you will not like it.

Do you live somewhere relatively flat? Might want to look into a single speed - less parts, less points of possible failure and maintenance = more time riding. You can usually find a lot of them used on craigslist fairly cheap and even the cheaper ones will be better than a cheaper, fully-geared bike.
Old 07-21-20, 04:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Perhaps in this order.. # 1 Pick a Proper bike shop you like*, then # 2, get a bike from them..

In My LBS when the Wally opened up, days later the broken bike is brought in, the owner said 'got your sales receipt?'

Get your Money Back..

*service after the sale is what you get, included..

they have a 1 speed/fixie, still low end parts, just not very many of them.

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-21-20 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-21-20, 10:27 PM
Tpsfoto

Bikes: Specialized Vita Limited, Giant Talon 2, Diamondback insight 2, Sepecialized Hardrock women's

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I recently bought a used Specialized on bicyclebluebook.com ....it is kind of similar to a Carmax of bicycles
my purchase was great....fast delivery and a fair price for a quality ride...
think about that. You do have to do a bit of assembly....but you could pay someone to do it if you are not able. The big box store bikes are a waste of money if you start to really like biking
Old 07-22-20, 01:16 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
dont ever buy a bike from any department store , what ever your budget is , as 200 to 500 and thats a true budget bike , there are tons of bikes , take the time and invest in a decent bike with entry level parts like a 9 -11 speed sram or shimano , i would even say go on ebay and start with a frame , once you get a frame set its super easy to build up bike m there is no excuse for buying a wal mart bike in 2020 , you tube will literally force you to learn how to make a custom bike from scratch !
Old 07-22-20, 04:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Perhaps in this order.. # 1 Pick a Proper bike shop you like*, then # 2, get a bike from them..

In My LBS when the Wally opened up, days later the broken bike is brought in, the owner said 'got your sales receipt?'

Get your Money Back..

*service after the sale is what you get, included..

they have a 1 speed/fixie, still low end parts, just not very many of them.

You're missing the point. The LBS everywhere have pretty much run out of stock at that price range. I've gone into a couple around here and I've never seen anything like it.
Old 07-22-20, 04:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

TBH, I think you are buying a bike for half a season and later you will decide whether you want to do more and be able to buy a better bike under normal market conditions. I wonder if you wouldn't be better off buying a cheap one speed for the kind of riding you're describing. A mtb is just so over equipped for it that I think you're just paying money to make the bike heavier.

Between the two, I'd rather buy from Dick's, and the Signature line is supposed to be a bit higher quality than the WM Schwinns. The WM website seems a bit vague on the actual components.
Old 07-22-20, 05:32 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Originally Posted by Toespeas
dont ever buy a bike from any department store , what ever your budget is , as 200 to 500 and thats a true budget bike , there are tons of bikes , take the time and invest in a decent bike with entry level parts like a 9 -11 speed sram or shimano , i would even say go on ebay and start with a frame , once you get a frame set its super easy to build up bike m there is no excuse for buying a wal mart bike in 2020 , you tube will literally force you to learn how to make a custom bike from scratch !
No one looking at Walmart bikes is going to build a bike from a frame.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 07-22-20, 05:37 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Vimal85,

Welcome to the world of biking and BikeForums! Feel free to browse the 1000s of threads where this same question is batted around and around and around! Be careful you don't get whiplash!
Old 07-22-20, 07:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by cubewheels
It actually mentions on the vendor page of WM Schwinn that the bike many not come with Shimano parts due to shortage of Shimanos and might be equipped with something else.

Between WM Schwinn and Dick's signature, components are almost identical, dirt cheap generic (no brand) by the same Chinese manufacturer, save for the Shimanos. The main difference is the frame design, shifters, and brakes. I have a $100 bike with the same components too, so I know!

Wouldn't surprise me they are all manufactured in the same plant in China, simply stuck with Schwinn stickers!

Either bike would require overhaul, careful inspection, and tuning of the derailleurs and brakes before use. My bike barely had grease in some of the bearings and some of the screws are loose, especially the bottom bracket!

Ironically, the quality of the components are OK except for the pedals. These dirt cheap bikes would have been really good if put together by a reputable mechanic. Hard, few hundred miles now in punishing conditions (going 25 mph over very poor quality roads / melted asphalt) and my bike with the same components is still doing great. OFC, I did take the bike apart the first time, and then put them back together with proper lubrication, tightened components, and tuning (that the pre-overhaul bike lacked)

But the pedals are really terrible. A thin steel spindle in through it without bearings of any kind! Just horrible. In online stores, same pedals only cost $2!! So don't bother with the pedals, replace them ASAP.

The Dick's in-store assembly seems to be a bit better than WM's, which is completely abysmal. Also, the Signature bike identifies the derailleurs as Tourney which, while not great, is at least identifiable. Shimano has non-names below that that often show up on WM bikes.

I have read in seemingly reputable sources that the Signature line actually uses somewhat better components. I'm not sure your statement that they are identical simply because they're no-name is true.

Have you bought a bike from Dick's? My impression from looking at their bikes is they seem to be pretty well put together at my local location, but I've never actually bought one.
Old 07-22-20, 07:40 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I understand your problem finding a decent bike these days with most of the entry level bikes from regular bike shops in very short supply. Just don't expect a whole lot from the Walmart bike. It has cheap nearly useless front suspension. That's a good selling point for the uninitiated but just adds weight and takes away from Pacific Cycles putting better components elsewhere on the bike. Pick it up and see if it is more suitable for weight lifting than for riding. Lots of very heavy bikes out there. Have someone who knows bikes look it over and see if it has been properly assembled. Walmart is so bad that they even sometimes send bikes out with the fork on backwards and the pedals not tightened. I saw that first hand with a boy who's pedals fell off the bike within a couple of miles on a Scout bike ride. I checked the brakes and steering but who would have thought to check the pedals? You might consider buying a second set of tires online. Ones with smoother tread (city tire) will make the ride a lot better if you are mostly riding roads.

Don't sell old bikes short. My two mountain bikes listed in my header are both 30 years old and light years ahead of an entry level bike or they would not have survived this long. Both were bought used. I lucked out and found the Cannondale SM800 for $20 at a local thrift store. There is also a good reason why you can not post pictures until you have 10 posts. That's to keep spammers away. Since you could not post it, here is a picture of the Schwinn.

Old 07-22-20, 12:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You're missing the point. The LBS everywhere have pretty much run out of stock at that price range. I've gone into a couple around here and I've never seen anything like it.
Ours out here has taken deposits and Pre-sales, paid in advance on the next batch of bikes not yet in the container port.
Old 07-22-20, 07:24 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I test rode an old Schwinn 10 spd 27" today at a thriftstore/ They were asking $30.US and it rode, shifted, air in the tires and surprisingly, no rust. All original paint but the badge was missing up front. It was definitely from the 80's. Tempting, but I don't need another road bike at this time. I'm sure it went quick.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 07-25-20, 01:11 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
a good option is recycle a bike they have tons of great old bikes you can buy for extra cheap !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.