Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Most versitile modern hybrid?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 07-21-20, 11:50 AM
phogi

Bikes: Specialized Singlecross, Trek 720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a 90's era Trek 720 to use as a recreational bike for taking my 3 year old out into the woods and around town. It's a little big (21", I'm 5'8"), and I've had to do a bit of work on it to get it rolling right. Nice and solid, and I cut my teeth on a bridgestone MB in the 90's so I like the similar handling.

I put a shotgun seat on it so that my son can ride along with me. We love it! We ride almost every day for about 2 hours.

As time goes by I'm seeing that this is a perfectly workable bike, but find myself tempted towards disk brakes since they offer more control on downhill descents (which I take very slow on account of my son being in a front seat). I see it as a safety bonus if I have more control, and also this would allow me to take a wider variety of terrain. Right now we do sidewalks, roads, paved paths, gravel, and the occasional mild singletrack. Eventually I'd like to do bikepacking as well.

Long story short, I'm thinking to upgrade, and am looking for a bike with maximum versatility. In my heart something like the 720 but with a more modern frame, disk brakes, and perhaps 1x or 2x drivetrain. Max mounts for racks and such.

So, if you were me, what bikes would you be looking at?
Old 07-21-20, 12:46 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
By the way, I don't think most people "do sidewalks" on a bike. lol
The 720 is a well-known touring bike and after almost completing my Nashbar touring bike build, I realized I have toe-overlap. It's not the end of the work but had contemplated buying the 720 frameset made for V-brakes. I've tried a bike with mechanical disc brakes and had the almost exact experience going down a hill as when I use V-brakes. So I wasn't totally impressed. That and the fact that it seems more complicated to mount a rear rack and fenders at the same time with disc brakes. Anyway, maybe in several weeks after more experience with that bike, I might make a thread about it. I have lots to say.

In any case, if you want to go with larger tires, some 650b bikes like the Norco Indie 2 are interesting. Some hybrids just won't allow for larger tires (especially with fenders). The Specialized Roll have V-brakes and 2.3" tires but it's a cruiser. I was thinking of buying one and "converting" it to make it more like a hybrid. (I think I've seen a black hybrid cruiser on one site with 2.8" tires, 8 speed Nexus gearing and disc brakes but I can't find it right now.)
Old 07-21-20, 12:46 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I looked very hard at Salsa Journeyman Flatbar and Surly Bridge Club 700c

I think the Trek is just fine, BTW. Just keep it running. The Multitracks were great and have a lot of fans

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 07-21-20 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-21-20, 02:27 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by phogi
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a 90's era Trek 720 to use as a recreational bike for taking my 3 year old out into the woods and around town. It's a little big (21", I'm 5'8"), and I've had to do a bit of work on it to get it rolling right. Nice and solid, and I cut my teeth on a bridgestone MB in the 90's so I like the similar handling.

I put a shotgun seat on it so that my son can ride along with me. We love it! We ride almost every day for about 2 hours.

As time goes by I'm seeing that this is a perfectly workable bike, but find myself tempted towards disk brakes since they offer more control on downhill descents (which I take very slow on account of my son being in a front seat). I see it as a safety bonus if I have more control, and also this would allow me to take a wider variety of terrain. Right now we do sidewalks, roads, paved paths, gravel, and the occasional mild singletrack. Eventually I'd like to do bikepacking as well.

Long story short, I'm thinking to upgrade, and am looking for a bike with maximum versatility. In my heart something like the 720 but with a more modern frame, disk brakes, and perhaps 1x or 2x drivetrain. Max mounts for racks and such.

So, if you were me, what bikes would you be looking at?
Coming from a 90s steel background, I really like the Marin Muirwoods. It has the comfy steel ride, versatile mounts on frame + fork, large tire clearance, modern geometry, and hydraulic brakes.
Old 07-21-20, 02:34 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
The Muirwoods is a good option, as is the Jamis Coda and Jamis Sequel if considering steel bikes. Also look at the Breezer Radar Cafe. The Surly Bridge Club noted earlier would be a great bikepacking bike.

I love my '90s 750. I've thought to myself that the perfect bike would be one of those with hydraulic disc brakes.
Old 07-21-20, 06:20 PM
hicks

Bikes: 2019 Jamis Sequel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Jamis Sequel has lots of mounts and hydraulic disc brakes, thru-axles. Reynolds 520!
Old 07-21-20, 10:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Whats in your Local Bike Shop?
Old 07-22-20, 11:00 AM
phogi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
By the way, I don't think most people "do sidewalks" on a bike. lol
The 720 is a well-known touring bike and after almost completing my Nashbar touring bike build, I realized I have toe-overlap. It's not the end of the work but had contemplated buying the 720 frameset made for V-brakes. I've tried a bike with mechanical disc brakes and had the almost exact experience going down a hill as when I use V-brakes. So I wasn't totally impressed. That and the fact that it seems more complicated to mount a rear rack and fenders at the same time with disc brakes. Anyway, maybe in several weeks after more experience with that bike, I might make a thread about it. I have lots to say.

In any case, if you want to go with larger tires, some 650b bikes like the Norco Indie 2 are interesting. Some hybrids just won't allow for larger tires (especially with fenders). The Specialized Roll have V-brakes and 2.3" tires but it's a cruiser. I was thinking of buying one and "converting" it to make it more like a hybrid. (I think I've seen a black hybrid cruiser on one site with 2.8" tires, 8 speed Nexus gearing and disc brakes but I can't find it right now.)
Well maybe that is true in the city in Montreal but in the Chicago Suburbs most do do sidewalks as riding in the road is for folks with a death wish. A kid was killed riding in the road just last week a few miles from my house. Here, you ride in the bike lane when it exists, on bike-only paths, sidewalks (where almost nobody walks), and when you have to ride in the road you pedal like hell and watch your back. Maybe I'd take the risk before I had kids but there's not much that would convince me to ride in the streets when there is a safer option. Sometimes I'll even ride in the grass next to the road, been buzzed by too many cars to feel safe when I've got a kid on my bike.

Thanks for the input on the bikes though! I'll check out the Norco, and keep an eye out for your review. I am curious though, what is toe-overlap? Is that when your toe can brush against the tire during a turn? I noticed that happened on a road bike a built some years ago.

Last edited by phogi; 07-22-20 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-22-20, 11:02 AM
phogi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I looked very hard at Salsa Journeyman Flatbar and Surly Bridge Club 700c

I think the Trek is just fine, BTW. Just keep it running. The Multitracks were great and have a lot of fans
Yeah I am thinking I might just look for another 700-ish 90's era Trek. Hoping I could snag a lugged 750 for nostalgia reasons, then rebuild the thing to suit whatever my current purpose would be.
Old 07-22-20, 11:04 AM
phogi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
The Muirwoods is a good option, as is the Jamis Coda and Jamis Sequel if considering steel bikes. Also look at the Breezer Radar Cafe. The Surly Bridge Club noted earlier would be a great bikepacking bike.

I love my '90s 750. I've thought to myself that the perfect bike would be one of those with hydraulic disc brakes.
Yeah the 700's are pretty boss. Just put a racing seat on mine and it feels like a new bike!

Is it possible to retrofit disc brakes to an old bike? I know this can be done on the front by replacing the fork, but not familiar if this can be done in the rear.
Old 07-22-20, 11:38 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Is it possible to retrofit disc brakes to an old bike? I know this can be done on the front by replacing the fork, but not familiar if this can be done in the rear.
There are adapters that will work for the rear, but they're sort of a kludge. Here's a representative video:

Old 07-22-20, 01:58 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
The nice thing of steel is its workability; its possible to on weld/braze ISO tabs and a brace. Many have done it on vintage MTBs; if you really like the frame, its worth a shot. Ask your Local Frame Builder (LFB). For the fork, you're better off with a new fork as disk brakes add more stress in different areas.

So: weld and paint, new wheels, new fork. And you'll still have the bosses sticking out unless you remove those. IMO not worth it on a Multitrack, V's are fine and modern steel bikes with disk brakes are available.
Old 07-23-20, 01:03 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Well maybe that is true in the city in Montreal but in the Chicago Suburbs most do do sidewalks as riding in the road is for folks with a death wish. A kid was killed riding in the road just last week a few miles from my house. Here, you ride in the bike lane when it exists, on bike-only paths, sidewalks (where almost nobody walks), and when you have to ride in the road you pedal like hell and watch your back. Maybe I'd take the risk before I had kids but there's not much that would convince me to ride in the streets when there is a safer option. Sometimes I'll even ride in the grass next to the road, been buzzed by too many cars to feel safe when I've got a kid on my bike.

Thanks for the input on the bikes though! I'll check out the Norco, and keep an eye out for your review. I am curious though, what is toe-overlap? Is that when your toe can brush against the tire during a turn? I noticed that happened on a road bike a built some years ago.
Yeah toe overlap when you turn and pedal at the same time you touch your shoes on the fender or tire.