Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Any one from Long Island?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Any one from Long Island?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-08, 09:23 AM
gfrance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankieV
While I have all you Long islanders here....a question.
Can I ride along the belt parkway path all the way out to Lynbrook?
I'll be starting out in Sheepshead bay and have never ventured further than Rockaway Parkway on that path.
I'm not certain, but I don't believe you can. Last I rode that Belt Parkway route, it stopped near that big mall out there. There may be off the path routes that I don't know about though.
Old 04-04-08, 06:04 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,174 Posts
Here 'ya go:

Southern Queens to the 5 Towns and Southern Nassau

The route starts at the southern end of the Marine Parkway Bridge at the intersection with the bike path coming off the bridge at Beach 169th Street. It ends at the intersection with Lakeview Ave. and Hempstead Ave. in Lynbrook, north of Sunrise Hwy.

To get to the southern end of the bridge, take the Belt Parkway Bike Path east from Knapp Street at Emmons Ave. At Flatbush Ave. either cross over Flatbush to take the "new" bike path south to the bridge, or simply stay on the sidewalk - "Old" bike path to the bridge, then ride the path over the bridge - ignore the signs that says "Walk Bikes On Bridge" - nobody walks the bikes over the bridge. Then follow the directions below. Distance from Knapp at Emmons to the southern end of the bridge is abour 4.5 miled

Note:
L - Left
R - Right
BR - Bear Right
X = Cross
S = Straight

Start 0 Head east on Rockaway Beach Blvd.

BR .1 Beach Channel Dr. - Sign says " Rockaway -
Riis Park"

BR .2 Into Jacob Riis Park
This is a road marked for "Do Not Enter -
official vehicles only" , It's OK to use.

BL .6 In access road to Jacob Riis Park

S .9 Rockaway Beach Blvd.

X 2.8 Beach 116th St.
Major shopping district

R 3.1 Beach 108th St.

ER 3.2 Shore Front Parkway
Go right around traffic circle and then east (left) on
SFP

X 4.1 Beach 94th St.

EL 4.9 Beach 73rd. St
Note that construction of the Ardmere Housing in this area can result in some detours

R 5.1 Rockaway Beach Blvd.

S 5.8 At Beach 56th. St., RBB becomes
Edgemere Ave.

BR 6.9 Beach 35th St.

S 7.0 Edgemere becomes Seagirt Blvd. at Beach 32nd. St.

L 8.2 Beach 9th St., use left turn lane

X 8.6 Cornaga Ave.

BR 8.7 Empire Ave.

X 9.0 Nassau Expressway - Rt. 878
Empire becomes Broadway

R 11.5 Brower Ave.

L 11.8 East Broadway

R 12.0 Meadowview Ave.

ER 12.7 Everitt Ave.

BL 12.9 On Everitt at intersection with Seawane Dr. (straight)

L 13.4 Auerbach Ave.

EL 13.5 East Rockaway Rd.

QR 13.5 Union Ave.

S 13.8 Prospect Ave.

X 14.3 Scranton Ave.

EL 14.6 Atlantic Ave. - Union becomes Atlantic Ave.

X 14.7 Sunrise Hwy.

X 14.9 Merrick Ave.

X 15.0 Peninsula Ave. - Atlantic becomes Hempstead Ave.

R 15.5 Lakeview Ave. - One way street for eastbound users

End At this intersection

Last edited by Steve B.; 04-04-08 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-05-08, 11:04 AM
FrankieV

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2007 Specialized Sequoia Elte

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here 'ya go:
Thank you.
First warm day I'll give it a shot.
Old 04-05-08, 06:43 PM
Eureka
Not so Senior Member

Bikes: Simoncini SS, Trek Al/CA, Jamis HT, Cannondale Rush 5Z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Air
...I'll post the route if anyone's interested.
Interested!
Old 04-05-08, 11:23 PM
Scorer75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Here 'ya go:

The route starts at the southern end of the Marine Parkway Bridge at the intersection with the bike path coming off the bridge at Beach 169th Street. It ends at the intersection with Lakeview Ave. and Hempstead Ave. in Lynbrook, north of Sunrise Hwy.

To get to the southern end of the bridge, take the Belt Parkway Bike Path east from Knapp Street at Emmons Ave. At Flatbush Ave. either cross over Flatbush to take the "new" bike path south to the bridge, or simply stay on the sidewalk - "Old" bike path to the bridge, then ride the path over the bridge - ignore the signs that says "Walk Bikes On Bridge" - nobody walks the bikes over the bridge. Then follow the directions below. Distance from Knapp at Emmons to the southern end of the bridge is abour 4.5 miled

Note:
L - Left
R - Right
BR - Bear Right
X = Cross
S = Straight

Start 0 Head east on Rockaway Beach Blvd.

BR .1 Beach Channel Dr. - Sign says " Rockaway -
Riis Park"

BR .2 Into Jacob Riis Park
This is a road marked for "Do Not Enter -
official vehicles only" , It's OK to use.

BL .6 In access road to Jacob Riis Park

S .9 Rockaway Beach Blvd.

X 2.8 Beach 116th St.
Major shopping district

R 3.1 Beach 108th St.

ER 3.2 Shore Front Parkway
Go right around traffic circle and then east (left) on
SFP

X 4.1 Beach 94th St.

EL 4.9 Beach 73rd. St
Note that construction of the Ardmere Housing in this area can result in some detours

R 5.1 Rockaway Beach Blvd.

S 5.8 At Beach 56th. St., RBB becomes
Edgemere Ave.

BR 6.9 Beach 35th St.

S 7.0 Edgemere becomes Seagirt Blvd. at Beach 32nd. St.

L 8.2 Beach 9th St., use left turn lane

X 8.6 Cornaga Ave.

BR 8.7 Empire Ave.

X 9.0 Nassau Expressway - Rt. 878
Empire becomes Broadway

R 11.5 Brower Ave.

L 11.8 East Broadway

R 12.0 Meadowview Ave.

ER 12.7 Everitt Ave.

BL 12.9 On Everitt at intersection with Seawane Dr. (straight)

L 13.4 Auerbach Ave.

EL 13.5 East Rockaway Rd.

QR 13.5 Union Ave.

S 13.8 Prospect Ave.

X 14.3 Scranton Ave.

EL 14.6 Atlantic Ave. - Union becomes Atlantic Ave.

X 14.7 Sunrise Hwy.

X 14.9 Merrick Ave.

X 15.0 Peninsula Ave. - Atlantic becomes Hempstead Ave.

R 15.5 Lakeview Ave. - One way street for eastbound users

End At this intersection
Wow, this is the majority of my daily commute. It's nice to know others ride out here!!! Steve, do you ride this route?

There are other ways to do this, but this is probably the route with the lightest traffic.

To answer someone else's question, the bike path on the belt goes all the was East to Cross Bay Blvd.
Old 04-07-08, 05:35 AM
Lightingguy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scorer75
Wow, this is the majority of my daily commute. It's nice to know others ride out here!!! Steve, do you ride this route?

There are other ways to do this, but this is probably the route with the lightest traffic.

To answer someone else's question, the bike path on the belt goes all the was East to Cross Bay Blvd.
Hello Scorer

Yes, I commute this route from Freeport to Brooklyn College and this is part of the ride. Been doing this for 10 years ?, with assorted variations. The route described is part of a routing "book" I've been attempting to put together for a few years for Nassau County and parts of western Suffolk. Currently stumped on finding a mapping program on-line that's 1) Free and in the public domain, 2) Able to print out in a 8.5 x 11 format. I have all the roads (or most) measured and described in the same format, just need a companion map.....

When the Marine Parkway bridge was closed for renovations, I found a route thru East NY, then Howard Beach, Aqueduct Racetrack, then into the service roads of JFK, before dumping me out at Farmers Blvd. to 147th Ave. then assorted sections of the 5 Towns. THAT was different !.

SB
Old 04-07-08, 10:28 AM
Scorer75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightingguy
Hello Scorer

Yes, I commute this route from Freeport to Brooklyn College and this is part of the ride. Been doing this for 10 years ?, with assorted variations. The route described is part of a routing "book" I've been attempting to put together for a few years for Nassau County and parts of western Suffolk. Currently stumped on finding a mapping program on-line that's 1) Free and in the public domain, 2) Able to print out in a 8.5 x 11 format. I have all the roads (or most) measured and described in the same format, just need a companion map.....

When the Marine Parkway bridge was closed for renovations, I found a route thru East NY, then Howard Beach, Aqueduct Racetrack, then into the service roads of JFK, before dumping me out at Farmers Blvd. to 147th Ave. then assorted sections of the 5 Towns. THAT was different !.

SB
I believe we met last year on Flatbush Avenue just north of the MPB. You headed West on the path and I stayed North on Flatbush Ave. Unless there is another guy from Freeport going to Brooklyn College, but what are the chances of that? I was riding a red Cannondale Cyclocross with disc brakes.

I do the route you mentioned as well. Going East, I take the path on the belt to Cross Bay, cut through the Aqueduct parking lot into the service road of JFK and then take 147th up into the 5 Towns where I live.
Old 04-07-08, 06:47 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Yup, that was me

I recall that was your first ride of the year, nice bike and I remember the disc brakes, first cross bike I've seen with them. I hope they are less a maintenance headache then the ones I added to my mt. bike.

I have as yet to do a bike commute - bad schedule, weather, laziness - take your pick.

I recently drove down 147th Ave. when the Belt was a zoo, the surface is in even worse shape then I remember - take it easy thru there and be careful, the dollar van drivers will leave you as road kill.

Be well.

Steve B.
Old 04-08-08, 07:15 PM
Scorer75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, that was me

I recall that was your first ride of the year, nice bike and I remember the disc brakes, first cross bike I've seen with them. I hope they are less a maintenance headache then the ones I added to my mt. bike.

I have as yet to do a bike commute - bad schedule, weather, laziness - take your pick.

I recently drove down 147th Ave. when the Belt was a zoo, the surface is in even worse shape then I remember - take it easy thru there and be careful, the dollar van drivers will leave you as road kill.

Be well.

Steve B.
The disc brakes were actually great. They were mechanical, not hydraulic and were easy to maintain and even adjust while you were riding. Unfortunately, my season and that bike's life were ended last June by a Toyota Celica. I'm hoping to get back on the bike in the next week or so.

I'm gonna start slow and fight the urge to crap myself every time a car passes me!!! It's tougher than I thought it would be.

I hope to see you around some time after I start commuting again.

AL
Old 04-20-08, 08:30 AM
Gebrselassie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know the group that meets at the Stony Brook train station parking lot Saturday mornings?
Old 04-20-08, 05:48 PM
Eureka
Not so Senior Member

Bikes: Simoncini SS, Trek Al/CA, Jamis HT, Cannondale Rush 5Z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gebrselassie
Does anyone know the group that meets at the Stony Brook train station parking lot Saturday mornings?
Pretty sure it is Suffolk Bike Riders Association (SBRA). It is one of their standard ride meeting points.
Old 04-20-08, 05:50 PM
na975

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
bronx here.

Old 04-25-08, 06:38 AM
C Law
Too Much Crazy

Bikes: Eriksen 29er, Gunnar Roadie, Niner RLT, Niner RIP 9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Water Mill here. Land of enormohomes.
Old 06-22-20, 01:34 PM
sallii3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey!

From Valley Stream originally, now residing in Freeport. Just got back from living overseas and looking to get back into cycling (for exercise, errands and well exploration). Currently, working on getting a bike (I've been checking CL and will visit the local bike shop) also looking to learn more about bikes (parts, materials, and different models - would like to eventually build my own). If you have knowledge to share would appreciate it! I hope to see some of yall on the road, so far I do not see many riders out (could be covid?)
Old 06-22-20, 02:38 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by sallii3
Hey!

From Valley Stream originally, now residing in Freeport. Just got back from living overseas and looking to get back into cycling (for exercise, errands and well exploration). Currently, working on getting a bike (I've been checking CL and will visit the local bike shop) also looking to learn more about bikes (parts, materials, and different models - would like to eventually build my own). If you have knowledge to share would appreciate it! I hope to see some of yall on the road, so far I do not see many riders out (could be covid?)
I grew up in Valley Stream, Central class of 1974.

Finding a used bike is near impossible due to Covid.
Old 06-22-20, 02:55 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by sallii3
Hey!

I live not far, tend to road bike this time of year. I tend to head west into N Baldwin, RVC and Lynbook or east to Massapequa and then north towards Bethpage. I'm often on Seaman and Lakeview and east on Smith and Grand thru Merrick. Or Demott/Centennial to Camp/Beltagh in Merrick/Bellmore. I completely stay off Sunrise and Merrick Rd. Note as well the bike path to Jones Beach is typically mobbed with riders and runners. Seems the CV crisis has everybody and his 3rd cousin buying and riding bikes.

Echo'ing Glenn's comment, good luck on finding a bike. The local shops (in most of the entire USA) are pretty much sold out of the under $1000 bikes. If you want a near top of the line $6,000 Cannondale, Specialized, Trek, maybe the shops like Brands in Wantagh would have one (they didn't sell as well), but good luck getting into the store, and then it's a 2 week wait till they can have it ready. Maybe CL.
Old 06-23-20, 07:58 PM
sallii3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GlennR
I grew up in Valley Stream, Central class of 1974.

Finding a used bike is near impossible due to Covid.
I hear yea, I have a bike I can use, its not that comfortable, so I do not fully enjoy my rides. I graduated Central class of 2009! That's so cool.
Old 06-23-20, 08:01 PM
sallii3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live not far, tend to road bike this time of year. I tend to head west into N Baldwin, RVC and Lynbook or east to Massapequa and then north towards Bethpage. I'm often on Seaman and Lakeview and east on Smith and Grand thru Merrick. Or Demott/Centennial to Camp/Beltagh in Merrick/Bellmore. I completely stay off Sunrise and Merrick Rd. Note as well the bike path to Jones Beach is typically mobbed with riders and runners. Seems the CV crisis has everybody and his 3rd cousin buying and riding bikes.

Echo'ing Glenn's comment, good luck on finding a bike. The local shops (in most of the entire USA) are pretty much sold out of the under $1000 bikes. If you want a near top of the line $6,000 Cannondale, Specialized, Trek, maybe the shops like Brands in Wantagh would have one (they didn't sell as well), but good luck getting into the store, and then it's a 2 week wait till they can have it ready. Maybe CL.
Thanks for the tips, will keep those in mind when I have a bike. I am searching CL right now and will pay the bike shop in Merrick a visit. The thing with CL is that, there are a lot of vintage bikes however due to my lack of knowledge, I am wary of being ripped off. So as I am looking I am also reading up on vintage bikes.
Old 07-04-20, 10:42 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
I am also graduated from Central High School. Class of 1978. I am now living in Baldwin. sallii3 I have an oddball lead for you. Check out Hempstead bicycle. The guy that owns it goes by the name "Moose". His actual name is Mustafa and he used to race bikes in his native Morocco. He doesn't sell new bikes but has (perhaps had) a shop full of used bikes. Most of them are low end, but he knows his stuff and has some higher end bikes. He likes Italian bikes.

He has been good to me and has been great to talk to and get oddball parts from. I never bought a bike from him and have no idea what he charges, especially now. I hate to say it but he does not have a great location on Main st, Hempstead. His hours vary too. You may want to call before you show up to be sure that he is open.

Craigslist has been crazy on bike prices and offerings. It almost seem like all the ads for vintage bikes could be listed here in Wacky Craigslist Ads.

Last edited by Velo Mule; 07-05-20 at 10:07 PM. Reason: I put in the wrong graduating year. I think I'm dyslexic.
Old 07-13-20, 10:26 AM
sallii3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I am also graduated from Central High School. Class of 1978. I am now living in Baldwin. sallii3 I have an oddball lead for you. Check out Hempstead bicycle. The guy that owns it goes by the name "Moose". His actual name is Mustafa and he used to race bikes in his native Morocco. He doesn't sell new bikes but has (perhaps had) a shop full of used bikes. Most of them are low end, but he knows his stuff and has some higher end bikes. He likes Italian bikes.

He has been good to me and has been great to talk to and get oddball parts from. I never bought a bike from him and have no idea what he charges, especially now. I hate to say it but he does not have a great location on Main st, Hempstead. His hours vary too. You may want to call before you show up to be sure that he is open.

Craigslist has been crazy on bike prices and offerings. It almost seem like all the ads for vintage bikes could be listed here in Wacky Craigslist Ads.
Velo Mule thank you for the lead! I googled the shop and it has great reviews and seems to be thriving. One of the reviews mentioned that he raced in the Atlas Mountains, I was just here this past fall pre-covid and its an impression range. Excited to connect and learn from him, I was going to go to the Merrick bike shop but Moose seems to be a better match. Anyways, glad to meet another fellow alum on here, go eagles!
Old 07-13-20, 10:53 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Thanks sallii3 just don't expect a neat organized shop like Merrick.