Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Bells Bike Shop

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-09, 05:34 PM
amidoinitrite
newb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I placed my order for pedals, clips and a lock on Sunday night and they all shipped this morning. Kilo gets here Friday and the goodies from Bells get here Saturday. I will update again when the packages arrive.
Old 05-20-09, 04:59 PM
rcthomas

Bikes: 2009 Jury track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i went ahead and ordered a wheelset from them, i hope it works out. I sent them an email this morning asking about shipping and they very promptly replied, which is a great sign...and their eBay rating is phenomenal...here's to hoping.
Old 05-21-09, 01:39 PM
teatoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered DP18's as well, and finally, I had to read this thread. I too, hope everything goes well. Also, I'm surprised that they are using USPS to ship them out.
Old 05-21-09, 01:43 PM
howl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matthewlegs
yeah thats why i ordered from them, the prices were good and they had pretty much everything i needed. plus the guy that helped me over there was super cool and helpful.
i ordered some wheels with formula hubs and i was invoiced for origin 8 hubs (he assured me they are EXACTLY the same) and i received no name hubs. they also substituted an alternate no name chainring and no name cages in place of the mks i had on order. kinda strange.
left me with kind of an empty feeling. like i don't even want to deal with returning the stuff. i'll just keep it and use it as back up stuff when i eventually upgrade.
you should get on the phone and start b*tching. if you let them just get away with it they're going to do it to other people.
Old 05-21-09, 06:15 PM
Johnny Nemo

Bikes: A fixed gear, a vintage roadie and a POS.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't let them get away with it. They'll keep doing it to everyone else otherwise. Since they are an actual shop and not just an individual seller, get onto your consumer affairs/fair trading (or whatever it's called over there) department and make a complaint.
Old 05-21-09, 07:32 PM
mooseblend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't comment on their shipping because i'm located in philly, but i bought a set of dp18's from bell's last year and they are still holding up true and strong to this day, i'm actually swinging by their tomorrow to pick up some tires as they have the cheapest prices around.
Old 05-21-09, 07:41 PM
Dam Its Johnny

Bikes: Iro Mark V, Kilo TT-SOLD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had good experience with them I ordered my pedals,clips, and straps on Sunday and they shipped Monday and my package came Wednesday. The clips were mks like there suppose to be and were package well so they wouldn't bend and my pedals and straps came closed in their packaging not problems.
Old 05-21-09, 07:46 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Wait, so ordering stuff online just because it's cheap DOES have risks associated with it?

It would be so cool if I could just walk into a LOCAL SHOP that had BIKES and get exactly what I wanted even if they had to order it and they assume the risk. It would be so cool to be able to take stuff back to said LOCAL BIKE SHOP if there were any issues and have them replace or refund my money over the counter. Oh man! What if they could install and tune stuff there on the spot! It would be like an Apple Genius Bar for Bikes! H*ll, I'd even pay a bit more for such a service.

Call me a dreamer.
Old 07-20-09, 01:07 PM
Raxel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Actually I live in philly now and visited the bell's store a few times... and they have everything I need at the unbeatable price (cheaper than most ebay stuff)
Old 07-20-09, 01:12 PM
time bandit
¡Senor Member!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steve Bell is fine. he does TONS of business and the complaints would represent 1% of all the stuff he sell's. if you come at him like a dick, he's not going to be too interested in helping you resolve the situation. he doesnt have to. he does very well for himself.

You people have to understand that shipping damage is real and probably the reason for most of these complaints.

But im sure like most business' he gets a lot of angry customers and like some business' doesnt seem to take a lot of bs from butthurt hipsters. be nice and civil about your complaint and i'm sure he'd be happy to help you.
Old 07-20-09, 01:23 PM
seedubs1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought a pair of veeps from them. Transaction went perfectly fine.

Anyways.....If something goes wrong on ebay, if you paid with paypal, you can just report it to paypal, and it should get resolved if you are smart about everything. I've done it before with a seller that was very uncooperative about selling me a piece of **** that was broken.
Old 07-20-09, 04:43 PM
robotkiller

Bikes: Turner Czar, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Suboptimal. Shipping was slowish, packaging was below average and communication was poor. I won't order from them again, unless I have no other choice.
Old 07-20-09, 05:09 PM
sygyzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few years ago I went on ebay and was about to roder Deep V's from them so I could build my Soma Rush. Steve asked me what I was doing with the wheels and I told him. He suggested that their shop could build the bike. I said "thanks but no thanks. I spent alot of time checking prices and consolidating to a few vendors to save on shipping. I don't want to debate pricematching with you." He said just send the list over and we'll see. They met or beat every price in the spreadsheet and made it so the build plus shipping was exactly how much i wanted to spend.

He worked with me for about a week going back figuring out what handlebars I wanted, stem size etc. They also sourced the frame, fork, and everything else for me.

The bike arrived in the box and some thigns were off, like the tape was coming loose from one end, and there were some scratches on one of the cranks. They replaced the arm for me. I also didn't like the seatpost so they allowed me to send back the old one and pay the difference for a Thomson.

In the end, I was a difficult customer with the exchanges and returns and I was expecting them to blow up but they were really cool about stuff. Maybe they were cursing me behind my back but to my face, they did a good job.

I am not surprised about the packaging complaints but I am about everything else ...
Old 07-27-09, 06:53 PM
gasian
gimme your bikes!

Bikes: yamaguchi's sakai 2000 sport frame: fixed gear conversion.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I custom order a pair of H Plus Sons, they said it'll be done in about a week and a half. It's over 2 months now... @#**#@$* nothing. They avoided my phone calls and messages, I had to threaten them to finally get them to reply to me. Never order anything from them through email! Sketchyass shop

Everytime I call, it's alway this Steve guy that picks up. I'm starting to think he's the only one running this "business".
Old 07-27-09, 06:57 PM
gasian
gimme your bikes!

Bikes: yamaguchi's sakai 2000 sport frame: fixed gear conversion.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys should start reporting them to the Better Business Bureau.
Old 07-27-09, 07:03 PM
robotkiller

Bikes: Turner Czar, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gasian
I custom order a pair of H Plus Sons, they said it'll be done in about a week and a half. It's over 2 months now... @#**#@$* nothing. They avoided my phone calls and messages, I had to threaten them to finally get them to reply to me. Never order anything from them through email! Sketchyass shop

Everytime I call, it's alway this Steve guy that picks up. I'm starting to think he's the only one running this "business".
Agree with the other dude. File a report online with the BBB. I've done this twice before (not Bell's) and got immediate and complete satisfaction within days. Call your CCC while you are at it.
Old 07-28-09, 10:50 AM
john ransom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ordered some Vittoria Randoneuers & tubes from them. They showed up with in 4 or 5 days in a bag but were fine. Good price.

I also ordered a set of silver Velocity Deep Vs w/ Formula hubs & they showed up in a nice wheel box, still wearing the clear, protective plastic wrapping. Fit right on with no issues. Great price.

About 2.5 weeks ago I ordered 2 Brooks Saddles on a Friday . He said they would ship on Tuesday. Didn't actually ship for at least another week. Also took a while to get a tracking number & even longer to recieve them. Called 3 days in a row & never got a call back. Finally he answered the phone on the 4th day & said one of the seats was on back order & that's why it was taking so long. Then in an email a few days after that he said that the shipping person caught the fact that one of the seats had a bad dye job & it would take a little longer. I recieved them on Saturday in fine condition. Was just REALLY frustrating having to look at my brand new complete (minus seat) bike for a few weeks just wanting me to ride it. Had I know it would take so long, I'd have purchased it elsewhere.

I'd do buisiness with them again but I'll make sure they have it in stack & it will ship the following day. They do have good prices & Steve is a nice enough guy to deal with & seems relatively helpful.

-John
Old 07-28-09, 11:58 AM
Haagenize

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After reading this thread, I went and ordered a mini u lock from them, cheapest price around and free shipping you can't deny. I've bought from them a few times, just a few straps, toe clips and things like that, nothing very expensive, and it has all came with no complaints, shipping was i believe fast or just normal, and everything came unharmed.
Old 07-28-09, 12:21 PM
matthewlegs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by time bandit
Steve Bell is fine. he does TONS of business and the complaints would represent 1% of all the stuff he sell's. if you come at him like a dick, he's not going to be too interested in helping you resolve the situation. he doesnt have to. he does very well for himself.

You people have to understand that shipping damage is real and probably the reason for most of these complaints.

But im sure like most business' he gets a lot of angry customers and like some business' doesnt seem to take a lot of bs from butthurt hipsters. be nice and civil about your complaint and i'm sure he'd be happy to help you.
Steve was definitely helpful once he found out what had happened. My order was taking a while so I checked in, I was told the parts I ordered were on back order. Still nothing, so I call they tell me it shipped that day (coincidence?). I got the invoice finally and they had replaced parts I had ordered with lower grade parts without telling me and it had already left the shop.
To make up for it, Steve threw in a pair of MKS toe clips (which were actually on my original order and had been replaced by a cheap clip/strap combo).
Overall, just not rad business ethics or practices. Will not order from them again. Oh also, after the whole thing, I tried to give neutral ebay feed back, not even negative, and he emailed me asking to change it. Crazy.
PS- am not a butt hurt hipster, guy. I was totally civil and patient.
Old 07-28-09, 01:42 PM
na975

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
all those wheelsets he and other sellers on ebay are all made by some other distributor called wheelmasters and built with crappy spokes and whatnot, good luck on your dealings with this Bellsbikeshop, i would not buy from him ever again.

Old 07-28-09, 01:55 PM
skinnyland
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lesson: buy local.
Old 07-28-09, 02:09 PM
na975

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
^^ i'm willing to pay lil more and have my input on how i want my wheels built.

Old 07-28-09, 02:11 PM
john ransom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Based on some of the reading on this particular thread, I'm now hoping my wheels actually have Formula hubs. Any idea how I'd actually know?

Thanks,
-John
Old 07-28-09, 02:23 PM
bluej7

Bikes: Nishiki olympic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ive ordered pedals clips and straps came in two days and im on the other side of the states packaging was good

my friend ordered a pair of dp18s got them in four days packaging was good everything worked fine
Old 07-28-09, 02:32 PM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by skinnyland
Lesson: buy local.
im torn.

α

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.