Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Don't Ride in the Middle to Left Side of the Lane

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-12, 02:43 PM
jwible
Draught

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm sick of seeing weekend warriors on the roads I frequent doing 15mph tucked into their aerobars and staying a foot or two to the right of the double yellow on 55mph roads.

Stay to the right of the lane for your own safety and respect for other users of the roads -- cars, bikes, MCs, farm equipment, I don't care. If you are not the fastest vehicle on the road then move to the right. Hogging the lane to 'protect your right' may be legal, but it's just damn rude to vehicle traffic. A driver that gets stuck behind some asshat in the middle of the lane is going to remember that inconvenience for a long time. Move to the right so they can pass you safely with minimal intrusion into the other traffic lane.

Try to keep your view of the white line between your front wheel and shifter. If it's outside your shifter you are too far over.

Stay to the right. Even if the road is rough riding on the white line itself can be smoother than the middle of the lane.
Old 06-17-12, 02:49 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I've never seen anyone riding in the middle of the road for no reason. I occasionally do for short periods if the lane is too narrow for someone to pass safely. This occurs on short wooden bridges, construction zones, narrow residential streets etc. We also ride two up on rural roads and cars have to pass in the other lane. They don't seem to mind.
Old 06-17-12, 03:02 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83:14368584
I've never seen anyone riding in the middle of the road for no reason. I occasionally do for short periods if the lane is too narrow for someone to pass safely. This occurs on short wooden bridges, construction zones, narrow residential streets etc. We also ride two up on rural roads and cars have to pass in the other lane. They don't seem to mind.
+1
Old 06-17-12, 03:09 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
On lightly travel roads I ride down the middle of the lane. It make me a lot more conspicuous and the road is smoother with less debris. I move to the right if/when vehicles approach from the rear.
Old 06-17-12, 03:16 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
You are also from Ga, so given that I know what you deal with every time you ride. It doesn't matter WHERE you are on the road in many places in Ga there is going to be some asshat come along and cuss, beep, throw something, smoke you out, air horn (etc). Case in point. Riding down a completely deserted, straight stretch of country road with visibility for a quarter mile both ways. Some jerkoff comes down the road blaring the horn and squealing brakes and flipping my riding partner and I off as he passes as if we were the biggest inconvenience this fellow had yet come across in his driving career. Completely out of pure spite cause there was certainly no other reason for it.

Often times in busy areas I will see people do exactly what you are describing in order to avoid getting buzzed by drivers who are not aware, or don't care that cyclists have a right to the road. In the end, it might have taken 60 seconds out of your day to give the other cyclist some room and get around safely. I certainly don't see a point in harboring that anger and allowing it to pay rent in your head over something that as a cyclist you should be able to easily understand.
Old 06-17-12, 03:18 PM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride at least 2-3 ft off the left to give me room to swerve over for cars that pass too close and debris on the side of the road.
Old 06-17-12, 03:19 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jwible
I'm sick of seeing weekend warriors on the roads I frequent doing 15mph tucked into their aerobars and staying a foot or two to the right of the double yellow on 55mph roads.

Stay to the right of the lane for your own safety and respect for other users of the roads -- cars, bikes, MCs, farm equipment, I don't care. If you are not the fastest vehicle on the road then move to the right. Hogging the lane to 'protect your right' may be legal, but it's just damn rude to vehicle traffic. A driver that gets stuck behind some asshat in the middle of the lane is going to remember that inconvenience for a long time. Move to the right so they can pass you safely with minimal intrusion into the other traffic lane.

Try to keep your view of the white line between your front wheel and shifter. If it's outside your shifter you are too far over.

Stay to the right. Even if the road is rough riding on the white line itself can be smoother than the middle of the lane.

i prefer not to.
Old 06-17-12, 03:21 PM
RecceDG
Token Canadian

Bikes: Cervelo S1, Norco Faze 1 SL, Surly Big Dummy, Moose Fatbike

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's MY lane. I ride where *I* think it is safest to do so.

If that is on the left hand side, then I will be there.

If it is dead centre in the lane - not uncommon on roads with broken pavement - then that is where I will be.

If I am in the centre of the lane and a car comes up behind me, I will move left as soon as it is safely practicable for *ME*. Your impatience does not trump my safety.

DG
Old 06-17-12, 03:29 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
I don't believe I made you my boss.
Old 06-17-12, 03:48 PM
fishymamba

Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I'm with this guy, I see too many people riding in the middle of the lane going 15mph, it's annoys me and it annoys drivers even more. And these are the same people that get angry when someone honks or yells at them, what do you expect when you are blocking the whole lane going 15mph on a 30mph+ road?? I don't have a problem with riding on the edge of the road, why do you guys have to take the lane? I hate all the "it's our right to take the lane" c**p, your rights are not going to help you if you get hit by a car and get killed.
Old 06-17-12, 03:58 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by fishymamba
I hate all the "it's our right to take the lane" c**p, your rights are not going to help you if you get hit by a car and get killed.
I think the point of most folks argument is the fact that in a situation where you take the lane you force the driver to pass only when safe to do so, like they should. When you ride to the far side of a lane the apparent path is to pass whether there is actually room or not like many drivers do when you leave lane.
Old 06-17-12, 04:03 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RecceDG
If I am in the centre of the lane and a car comes up behind me, I will move left as soon as it is safely practicable for *ME*. Your impatience does not trump my safety.

DG
Yep... me staying alive trumps anyone else's convenience. The only exception is an emergency vehicle with lights and sirens, in which case I will get as far over as humanly possible even if it means stopping completely but even then staying alive takes priority.
Old 06-17-12, 04:19 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Off to the correct forum.
Old 06-17-12, 04:27 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,477 Times in 3,223 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
Off to the correct forum.
Thank You for not stinking up Trollhiem!
Old 06-17-12, 04:49 PM
degnaw

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Man, that opinion is really gonna fly in the good 'ol A&S.
Old 06-17-12, 05:27 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Nope. Not even close.

If you really want to be a safe and courteous rider you will share the lane when it is wide enough and other conditions are appropriate and take it when sharing is unsafe. You will show your choice -- share or take -- by your position.

Riders who follow your unwise advice will find themselves sharing lanes that are not wide enough for safe sharing.
Old 06-17-12, 05:46 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
When I do take the lane, it's either the right tire track or dead center. I stay clear of the left side unless I'm making a left turn, then it's only a short distance from the intersection, since a few motorists seem to "mysteriously" drift over closely to or drive on the center line.
Old 06-17-12, 06:01 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Let me tell you what happened to me yesterday. On a 2 laner when 2 cars coming from the opposite direction decided to pass a slower one. Neither one got around the slower one before we all merged. Luckily, I had some shoulder and was inside the white line as far as I could go. Had I been out there close to the yellow(because it was my right) my kids would be fatherless today on Father's Day! As it was, I just saw my life pass before my eyes! I'm ordering another front blinkie light as I type.
Old 06-17-12, 06:09 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Let me tell you what happened to me yesterday. On a 2 laner when 2 cars coming from the opposite direction decided to pass a slower one. Neither one got around the slower one before we all merged. Luckily, I had some shoulder and was inside the white line as far as I could go. Had I been out there close to the yellow(because it was my right) my kids would be fatherless today on Father's Day! As it was, I just saw my life pass before my eyes! I'm ordering another front blinkie light as I type.
If you'd been IN the lane and visible, the car wouldn't have been there to squeeze you off the road.
Old 06-17-12, 06:13 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,682 Times in 4,077 Posts
Originally Posted by fishymamba
I'm with this guy, I see too many people riding in the middle of the lane going 15mph, it's annoys me and it annoys drivers even more. And these are the same people that get angry when someone honks or yells at them, what do you expect when you are blocking the whole lane going 15mph on a 30mph+ road?? I don't have a problem with riding on the edge of the road, why do you guys have to take the lane? I hate all the "it's our right to take the lane" c**p, your rights are not going to help you if you get hit by a car and get killed.
If I'm on a steep climb approaching a blind hill or corner I'll take the whole lane @ 8mph on a 35 mph road. Keeps cars from bouncing into me after they get into a head-on collision with a UPS truck. YMMV.

I usually try to stick to roads with really big shoulders or bikelanes for the most part, however.
Old 06-17-12, 06:19 PM
kjmillig

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that you should take the lane when needed and share when safe, but I think the OP is referring to those who are only trying to make a point and take the lane just because they can when they really don't need to for safety. To my understanding,in most states that is illegal, as slow moving vehicles must stay as far right as practicable (yes, I fully understand what that means).Riding center or left only because you want to will encourage some drivers to make you move, and will create a bad impression when they encounter other riders.
Old 06-17-12, 06:26 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by kjmillig
I agree that you should take the lane when needed and share when safe, but I think the OP is referring to those who are only trying to make a point and take the lane just because they can when they really don't need to for safety. To my understanding,in most states that is illegal, as slow moving vehicles must stay as far right as practicable (yes, I fully understand what that means).Riding center or left only because you want to will encourage some drivers to make you move, and will create a bad impression when they encounter other riders.
Which brings up something I was thinking about yesterday. How come bicycles are not required to carry some type of slow moving vehicle symbol like tractors, construction equipment, etc. (I'm asking because I don't know the answer)
Old 06-17-12, 06:29 PM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding the white line is suicide. I will take the best position in the lane in accordance with my safety as dictated by the circumstances. Your opinion on the matter is irrelevant. That is all.

Last edited by CommuterRun; 06-17-12 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-17-12, 06:34 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by achoo
If you'd been IN the lane and visible, the car wouldn't have been there to squeeze you off the road.
No, in this particular case the front vehicle did not have the horsepower to make a quick pass. They were moving slightly uphill(me going down) I was doing about 25mph. It took him about 5 seconds to even get in front of the car he was overtaking. I was shouting "come on, come on, faster, faster get around him! GEEEETTTTT OOOVEEER!"
Old 06-17-12, 06:50 PM
fishymamba

Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
Or it would have rammed him at 50mph.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.