Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

shortening track chains

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-12, 01:20 AM
BlackPowder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shortening track chains

Hey everyone,

I just installed an Izumi Model V track chain on my track bike (new bike, new chain). Obviously its quite a bit too long. My question is, how do I remove links from the chain? I have shortened a regular chain, and have the tools for that, but the track chain is wider and sturdier, so im not sure if shortening a track chain can be done the same way a road chain would be shortened, or if there is anything special you shouldnt do / have to take care of.

Thanks a lot,

BlackPowder
Old 10-09-12, 07:51 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Most chainbreakers can handle 1/8" chains. Some can't. Try it with your tool.
Old 10-09-12, 08:20 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
Most chainbreakers can handle 1/8" chains. Some can't. Try it with your tool.
+1

BlackPowder, if you are concerned, then just take it to a shop. Make sure that you have enough chain to use the largest chainring/cog combination (like 50/15 as opposed to 47/14).
Old 10-09-12, 09:42 AM
xengravity

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's the same with any chain. Use a chain breaker.
Old 10-09-12, 11:20 AM
Pantani98

Bikes: yes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just used a small Park chain breaker on mine. Piece of cake!
Old 10-11-12, 01:26 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Decide where you (not the shop) want your rear wheel to be positioned in the stayends -- definitely not hanging out the back and definitely not all the way at the front (because then you can't loosen it and slip it forward a bit to unseat the chain and then pull the rear wheel off for a tire change). Pick the best chain length and use a simple chain tool. The Park CT-3 for 1/8" is one of the nicest out there and not expensive. Izumi chains can survive just about any chain tool, but if you change them often (for racing or just to change gearing) you should have a good tool.

Do you change gearing (if you're racing on a velodrome, or plan to, you better assume you will)? It's likely that, unless you have very long slots in your stay ends, you'll need to work with a couple chains. If you're lucky and your bottom bracket to stayend length is just right, your stay end slots are long, and your preferred gears are in a narrow range, you can get away with one chain (I typically use 46/47/48 and 13/14/15/16 in combinations that almost always amount to just about the same amount of chain). If you don't (and I'm thinking of those who like to ride a 48x14 and then a 53x15) you just swap chains when you change gears.
Old 10-11-12, 05:30 PM
crewdoglm

Bikes: De Rosa Idol, Felt TK-2, Pinarello Paris, Williams Gemini alloy, Basso Astra, Basso Laguna, Bottecchia Leggendaria, Cinelli SSCX, Argon 18 Electron track, 60-70 wheels

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's actually easier with 1/8 chain because the tolerance is not as critical as with a narrow road chain. About 5 half-turns with a park chain braker.