Search
Notices
Northeast Rides and Events Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Rhode Island | Vermont

Is NYC open for cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-20, 12:25 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Is NYC open for cycling?

i usually take gwb into nyc on weekends but wondering if with this shut down can we ride in nyc?
Old 03-21-20, 12:53 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
From what I've read - Absolutely!

There are more people riding now than ever because they want to avoid the close quarters of the subway - and to get out of the house..

Re: the GWB specifically - you may want to double-check to make sure that there are no construction interruptions. All construction activities are going 100% - they are exempt from the restrictions in the NYS governor's executive order
Old 03-21-20, 01:25 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
i usually take gwb into nyc on weekends but wondering if with this shut down can we ride in nyc?
My understanding is that legally you could, but it's a bad idea given how crowded the cycling/jogging/walking routes are and will remain on any nice day when people have been stuck inside with nothing else to do.

Lots of people competing for a limited amount of open space on a small island - please be considerate and take your rides in a different direction.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 03-21-20, 07:05 PM
punkinevil

Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Continental, 1970 Schwinn Paramount P-13, 1977 Schwinn Superior, 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1977 Schwinn LeTour II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
It's probably best to pick a crappy day. I was out today and it was pretty desolate on the Greenways and paths, but they got very crowded when it got warm and sunny.
Old 03-21-20, 11:22 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
I rode the Rockaways and they were as crowded today as any time I've seen them in the summer and the water was filled with surfers. Despite the crowding I think the wind was strong enough and with it heading south would have quickly pushed any coughed illness right out into open waters. But I can see riding elsewhere, there's that beautiful old highway that runs along the river in NJ that I think I'd ride before heading into the city. Can't remember the name of the road but they had a nice TT there last year and it was just north of the GWB. Was hoping to do all three TTs there this year but that's out the window unless they reschedule all of them.
Old 04-09-20, 02:31 PM
lcdel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I’d be very careful going out if you’re vulnerable—paths have been absolutely packed on nice days
Old 04-12-20, 10:21 AM
chapito

Bikes: Tern Verge S8i

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
today midtown Manhattan is barren! I live at 42/9ave (times Sq), im heading out now...

Sunday at noon should be a parking lot (and pretty much the rest of the year LOL)
cheers
Old 04-12-20, 10:32 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
The real problem is it goes from being devoid of life to almost business as usual depending on where you are.
So you can go from riding along with all the room in the world to having to negotiate your way around a passel of passerby or fellow cyclists.

Last edited by Rage; 04-12-20 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-12-20, 10:40 AM
chapito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sure, no one is saying anyone should blindly ride along... even with the empty streets im still a proponent of the Bike paths. In my area, Port Authority is 100% "NO GO" 24/7 as the peds are just selfish and mindless when it comes to the lights/curbs/paths, so now's a great time to be able to get out and back.

I bet the East River bridges are crowded. (My favorite spots to ride are the East River bridges and Queens—so much more predictable than midtown and the Hudson River path. (wish the joggers would respect the Bike path and stay out!)

ugh, too much typing must be leaving... cheers

Last edited by chapito; 04-12-20 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-12-20, 10:53 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

The real problem is when it gets nice out.
Then people start multiplying all over the place.
Old 04-12-20, 12:36 PM
chapito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
some things go hand in glove

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by chapito; 04-12-20 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-12-20, 02:40 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
the streets that the mayor had closed weren't used so he opened them up to traffic again. pretty sure bike paths are clear though.
Old 04-12-20, 02:49 PM
chapito

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NYC was beautiful today, rode from Midtown up to GWB via riverside Dr then back down on Broadway. Traffic was light/non-existent, bike paths clear. Hoping to get many more sunny days (rain coming this week) while we're dealing with 'shelter-in-place'.

silver-linings
Stay well!

Last edited by chapito; 04-12-20 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-12-20, 02:58 PM
ridingfool

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
not sure it’s your type of riding but u can ride the jersey side of of 9w rode it last weekend up to nyack from the gwb not as many riders out as usual but there were a good amount out riding. Not to many packs of riders would see 3 or 4 together so they are for the most part trying to practice safe distance too
Old 04-12-20, 02:58 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Thanks for doing the reconnaissance, chapito.
I think I might do that same ride but starting and ending in lower Manhattan. Was debating it all day but Friday’s burst of outdoor activity had me leery of the Westside highway bike path.
If it’s clear out right now, I should probably squeeze in the ride before the anticipated rain tomorrow.
Old 04-13-20, 08:46 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
It's a good time to ride the streets of the boroughs, away from parks and such. Well, not today.

Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 04-14-20, 04:21 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by chapito
NYC was beautiful today, rode from Midtown up to GWB via riverside Dr then back down on Broadway. Traffic was light/non-existent, bike paths clear. Hoping to get many more sunny days (rain coming this week) while we're dealing with 'shelter-in-place'.

silver-linings
Stay well!
omg.
one of my favorite rides.
i usually park in fort lee go down to park.
🤡
Old 03-15-21, 02:33 AM
bikewilltravel

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
No shut down, on the contrary, bike lanes get quite crowded on weekends.