Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Theft

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-20, 05:49 AM
russtopherb

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2019 Jamis Allegro Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
If you weren't aware of this website, take a look at it now.

It might not be super up to date regarding products, since it's a blog, but there's generally great advice there. When I said anyone can open a combo lock, I was talking about the fact that anyone that can watch a video will know that you can apply some tension to the shackle to decode a combo lock pretty quickly (5 minutes, while explaining it to you). Bottom line, brute force is the method of choice because it works 99% of the time; no thief is concerned with the state of the lock once they have your bike.
Thank you SO MUCH for posting this link. I actually need to buy a lock if I want to go on longer rides and this was extremely informative and helpful.
Old 04-11-20, 09:06 AM
gjc2

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I will not leave my bike anywhere unattended. I have been out touring and stop for snack or something and take my bike in with me. If I am asked to leave my bike outside, I find another place to spend my money. Locks don’t work , at all! In California anything valued at $950 or less is a misdemeanor and you would be hard pressed to get an officer to even take a report. They will write a ticket if they catch the thief in the act, but that’s it just a ticket. The bike thieves know this and bikes are being ridden around with rattle can paint jobs , handlebars and all , mostly the homeless with backpacks and or trailers in tow. I was trying to get around one on a bike lane when I noticed a pair of bolt cutters hanging out of his trailer. I don’t use my bike for shopping or anything anymore , I just ride it and put it away.

It's really a shame that things have been allowed to deteriorate to that point. When governments decide they can't enforce the law and de-criminalize theft everyone suffers.
Old 04-11-20, 10:18 AM
gjc2

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Rip off the branding stickers, spray valuable stuff with Plastikote flat black removable paint. Let it get scratched. Stick a couple of random decals on it. I now have trouble convincing accommodation managers that my "beaten up" touring bike is worth $4000 and can't be parked outside.
That’s an interesting idea.

Some guitar manufacturers sell new instruments that are finished to look worn; they refer to the finish as “relic”

Maybe bicycle manufactures should offer new bikes that look distressed to disguise their value.
Old 04-11-20, 03:14 PM
justbike

Bikes: Felt Z85 Road Bike, Trek Mountain Bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive seen people try to steal bikes in front of others in broad daylight. Madness..
Old 04-11-20, 03:16 PM
justbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gjc2
That’s an interesting idea.

Some guitar manufacturers sell new instruments that are finished to look worn; they refer to the finish as “relic”

Maybe bicycle manufactures should offer new bikes that look distressed to disguise their value.
New business venture?
Old 04-11-20, 03:17 PM
justbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I don't ride where I must leave my bike unattended. But if you do, here's something that might work for you. If your bike has quick release wheels, loosen the quick disconnect when you leave it. Chances are, a thief won't check it and will wreck trying to ride it away, possibly leaving the bike at that point. The bike might get scratched, but it might allow you to keep it. Of course, don't forget to tighten the quick release when you go back to ride it!! If they're stealing it and throwing it into a vehicle, this won't stop them, of course.
Has this method ever saved you from a theft?
Old 04-11-20, 05:19 PM
zenmonkey
banana ying yang

Bikes: SC Blur & a Lapierre

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Another vote for the beater bike for shopping - unless you really know the area, don't leave a top notch bike unattended....
Old 04-11-20, 07:46 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
That "Loosen the QR" idea strikes me as kind of silly. Also ... while the guy might get popped for attempted petty theft, you might get get a weapons charge .... because you suggested in public that you were setting a potentially dangerous and possibly deadly trap.

But .... if I didn't have a lock and needed to go inside---say, I had explosive diarrhea and was in an urban area with nowhere to duck out of sight ... I might just leave the frame inverted and take the wheels with me.
Old 04-11-20, 09:21 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
I'm a fan of the old school frame lock as well, with the extra plug in cable/chain, especially for touring. The top end ones of those are harder to get to with an angle grinder or bolt cutters, and a bit hidden, cut the cable/chain and the wheel still doesn't go around.
Old 04-11-20, 10:25 PM
rsn48

Bikes: Ritchey Mountain Bike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I work in Corrections, I had to laugh when I read that along with the assumption your bike will be safe at your workplace. My son is a cop at a force in the Greater Victoria BC area and an avid rider. His bike was stolen while locked up at the police station. He asked the department to cover it and was turned down. He then went to the police union and they recovered his costs for him. When it comes to bike theft, never assume anything.
Old 04-12-20, 04:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Been locking bikes outside in Philadelphia for more than 30 years. Had a bike stolen—from inside my house while I was watching TV. Not talking about beaters. The racks on my LHT are north of $400. I also tour and often camp without locking my bike.
Old 04-12-20, 08:31 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Been locking bikes outside in Philadelphia for more than 30 years. Had a bike stolen—from inside my house while I was watching TV. Not talking about beaters. The racks on my LHT are north of $400. I also tour and often camp without locking my bike.
yeah, but who would ever want to steal that metal lump you ride?
Old 04-12-20, 02:09 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I would like to think this about my old trek 800 sport, yet a member had his stolen recently (?)
Old 04-12-20, 02:40 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Tweakers and junkies will steal anything. Any property entering the public space is fair game. I know only one guy who ever got a stolen bike back, large muscular friend of his saw the distinctive bike after a facebook post asking for help and took it back from the thief who was riding it. We used to joke that every bike is a 30 lb bike, bike + lock = 30 lbs. That was when a $500 bike was pretty expensive.
Old 04-12-20, 05:37 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Maelochs
That’s exactly the make a model of the bike that was stolen from my house, although that one had custom racks that were irreplaceable. And the panniers only fit those racks. I’d let the thief keep the bike if I could get the racks back. They had a lot of sentimental value in addition to their monetary value.

At least the guy left behind the two custom IFs that were near by.
Old 04-12-20, 05:43 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
I would like to think this about my old trek 800 sport, yet a member had his stolen recently (?)
When I’m touring in the middle nowhere of Montana or Idaho I have no fears about leaving this by the side of the road or outside a country store when I take a leak or shop.

If I explained why many people would be challenged.

Last edited by indyfabz; 04-12-20 at 06:12 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-12-20, 06:03 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
If it is an option. Lock your bike in a place that also has a security camera.
Old 04-12-20, 06:14 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by alo
If it is an option. Lock your bike in a place that also has a security camera.
So you can add footage of the theft to your video collection?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-12-20, 06:36 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by indyfabz
That’s exactly the make a model of the bike that was stolen from my house, although that one had custom racks that were irreplaceable. And the panniers only fit those racks. I’d let the thief keep the bike if I could get the racks back. They had a lot of sentimental value in addition to their monetary value.

At least the guy left behind the two custom IFs that were near by.
Sorry, dude. I was trying to goad you into posting more pics of that Elgin, or whatever it is ... the one with the bent seat post ... that llump of pot-metal.

Truly sorry if I opened old wounds.

I trust in karma ... but is still hurts to lose stuff. My sincere apologies.
Old 04-14-20, 09:00 AM
StargazeCyclist

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
That's why I commute using a Walmart BSO. I work at university and I was told any LBS bike parked in campus is going to be stolen in no time, locked or not. Interestingly at the same time there are hundreds, if not thousands of cheap BSO locked at the same place for years and nobody bothers.
Old 04-14-20, 09:04 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by StargazeCyclist
That's why I commute using a Walmart BSO. I work at university and I was told any LBS bike parked in campus is going to be stolen in no time, locked or not. Interestingly at the same time there are hundreds, if not thousands of cheap BSO locked at the same place for years and nobody bothers.
Because it's not worth the hassle and potential charges to try a steal a bike worth $20 aftermarket.