Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Allez v Old Roubaix

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Allez v Old Roubaix

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-19, 06:27 PM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 26 Posts
New Allez v Old Roubaix

I am riding a hybrid and looking at getting a more aggressive bike, strictly for road use. I just started riding again after many years away and am doing just under 100 miles a week now, and since I am retired I expect to do far more as I build a base.

I tested fitness bikes earlier this week and now I will take some test rides on a couple of road bikes this weekend. I going to ride the Specialized Allez, probably the Sport, and it will be somewhere around $1,000. Today I learned of a Roubaix at another LBS for a few hundred less, but it is a 2015 SL4 Sport. The LBS claims it was never ridden. I am no expert so I am sure I could be fooled but I will take a very close look at it and ask a lot of questions.

If I like the ride of one more than the other that will settle it, but if I like them both I have a question. Would you go for the like new Roubaix or the new Allez?

A new bike has obvious merits because it is new, but the Roubaix had a much higher price when new and has better components, especially the 105 package, and an all carbon frame. Which way would you lean?
Old 07-31-19, 06:36 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If the Roubaix is in fact in new condition, then Roubaix all the way. By a lot.
Old 07-31-19, 06:50 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
The bikes are different enough that I bet you'll have no trouble decide which you prefer. If it's the Roubaix, I wouldn't worry that it's a few years old -- it's a great bike.
Old 08-01-19, 06:12 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I think you'll find that the roubaix does magic things to rough roads, especially with 28mm tires. The allez will be a little racier. (meaning shorter head tube, probably a little quicker turning/less stable)

The SL4 roubaix overshot a bit and is stiffer then older models, which they compensated for by adding that GOBLR seat post (the bent looking thing). I'm still riding my 2012 roubaix.

Allez is aluminum and Roubaix is carbon, if that's something you care about.
Old 08-02-19, 06:03 AM
spinconn

I couldn't wait for the weekend so I tested both bikes yesterday. You guys were right, they were very different rides but I liked them both.

I rode the Allez first in a busy downtown part of Savannah, then I rode the Roubaix in a quiet residential area. The Allez was so quick and nimble. The Roubaix was actually a lighter bike but it felt heavier and smoother while riding. Both were fast.

I bought the Roubaix and immediately took it for a short 35 minute ride. It felt like I have gone from a truck to a Ferrari. I only have time for a short ride today but I have big plans for tomorrow.

Thank you guys for your comments, which I found very helpful.
Likes For spinconn:
Old 08-02-19, 05:29 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by spinconn
I couldn't wait for the weekend so I tested both bikes yesterday. You guys were right, they were very different rides but I liked them both.

I rode the Allez first in a busy downtown part of Savannah, then I rode the Roubaix in a quiet residential area. The Allez was so quick and nimble. The Roubaix was actually a lighter bike but it felt heavier and smoother while riding. Both were fast.

I bought the Roubaix and immediately took it for a short 35 minute ride. It felt like I have gone from a truck to a Ferrari. I only have time for a short ride today but I have big plans for tomorrow.

Thank you guys for your comments, which I found very helpful.
Pictures are required to properly close out this thread. Congrats on your new bike!
Old 08-02-19, 05:32 PM
spinconn

No sunshine in my life today, and according to the weather reports not for a few days, but as soon as I get some sunshine I shall post pictures.
Old 08-02-19, 09:26 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Happy New Bike Day! Congratulations
Old 08-03-19, 08:24 AM
spinconn

The end of the quest; ta daa:

Old 08-03-19, 08:56 AM
Weakbikr

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts
Man that's an awesome bike, your gonna love it. Congrats!
Old 08-03-19, 03:37 PM
Sillyak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sexy bike. Those pedals though...
Old 08-04-19, 06:40 AM
spinconn

Yeah, the pedals are temporary but that brings up another question. It had new pedals but flat ones that I replaced with old, beat up, cheap clip pedals. I am trying to decide what to get.

Maybe I should start another thread but I need a suggestion for good clip pedals.

Also, I never used the cleat type and I don't really want to buy new cycling shoes, but even though I am just an old recreational cyclist I do love to go fast. Are the lock in pedals something I should look at seriously?
Old 08-04-19, 10:11 AM
BluFalconActual

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
It’s probably been covered 1000 different ways by countless threads but I simply would not ride nearly as much if it weren’t for modern clipless pedals.
I strongly advise investing in some shoes, pedals and cleats and making the switch.
Old 08-04-19, 02:45 PM
spinconn

Thanks BluFalcon, I will look for those threads but I think you may have already convinced me.
Old 08-04-19, 07:10 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Oh thank god a bike with some color. Good job!

Cycling shoes do last for a long time, so there's that and your cleats will cost you 20-40 buxx a year to replace. People do still ride with regular toe clips though, so don't feel pressured.
Old 08-08-19, 11:34 AM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Buy a set of road pedals compatible with SPD (not SPD-SL) cleats and a set of nice fitting mountain bike shoes. You can walk a lot more easily in MTB shoes than road shoes...

I have a set of these (Shimano PD-A600) on my road bike. They work great!
Old 08-08-19, 12:21 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by ronin4740
Buy a set of road pedals compatible with SPD (not SPD-SL) cleats and a set of nice fitting mountain bike shoes. You can walk a lot more easily in MTB shoes than road shoes...

I have a set of these (Shimano PD-A600) on my road bike. They work great!
+1, SPD pedals and MTB shoes all the way. Easy to clip in and out and you can walk in them.
Old 08-08-19, 03:28 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
+1, SPD pedals and MTB shoes all the way. Easy to clip in and out and you can walk in them.
I would disagree with this.
I prefer road pedals / cleats. I think they are better in every way except for walking in.
Old 08-08-19, 03:41 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
^^^THIS^^^^
after all are they cycling shoes, or walking shoes? Buy the correct tool and the job (ride) is more enjoyable. plus the stiff soles and larger cleat help with hot spots, and pressure distribution on road bikes.
Old 08-08-19, 04:41 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
I prefer road pedals / cleats. I think they are better in every way except for walking in.
Agree 100%. Use the correct tools. If you need to do a lot of walking, Bring an extra pair of shoes.
Old 08-08-19, 05:03 PM
spinconn

Well, I have come back to cycling after many years away and when I rode toe clips were what I used but I wanted to give it some thought. My concern about clipless is that I have a history with knee problems and was not sure the twisting motion of getting out of the pedal would be something my knees could take.

After my last post I got caught in a bit of a fix with a car and found I was not quite quick enough to unclip. No major damage but I have now ordered Shimano PD-R540 SPD-SL pedals and Shimano SH-RP1 Road Bike shoes .

I hope my knees are able to handle them. I read about float and these are supposed to have some. I am looking forward to maximum efficiency and fast dismounting when required.

I wear size 12 and is seemed that the shoes I looked at online barely made it to that size and I have read they tend to come small so I am not sure they will fit.
Old 08-11-19, 08:24 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Originally Posted by mgopack42
^^^THIS^^^^
after all are they cycling shoes, or walking shoes? Buy the correct tool and the job (ride) is more enjoyable. plus the stiff soles and larger cleat help with hot spots, and pressure distribution on road bikes.
Originally Posted by MSchott
Agree 100%. Use the correct tools. If you need to do a lot of walking, Bring an extra pair of shoes.
To each their own of course. My road bike has SPD-SLs, and my gravel bike has SPDs. The SPDs are by far easier to clip in and out of, and yes the shoes are more walkable. I'm not talking about walking miles, just the limited walking you do at the shop/cafe/rest stop, let's be honest, just walking to the bathroom in SPD-SLs is no fun. There is a little more float with the SPDs, but I have no problem putting the power down on the road with them. Again, whatever works best for you, but had I known about SPDs when I got my road bike, I would have started with those and never messed with SPD-SLs.
Old 08-11-19, 09:18 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
To each their own of course. My road bike has SPD-SLs, and my gravel bike has SPDs. The SPDs are by far easier to clip in and out of, and yes the shoes are more walkable. I'm not talking about walking miles, just the limited walking you do at the shop/cafe/rest stop, let's be honest, just walking to the bathroom in SPD-SLs is no fun. There is a little more float with the SPDs, but I have no problem putting the power down on the road with them. Again, whatever works best for you, but had I known about SPDs when I got my road bike, I would have started with those and never messed with SPD-SLs.
I should have qualified that I meant with road bikes. I guess I’ve become used to walking in shoes with SPD-SL shoes over the years. The biggest obstacle is slippery floors.
Old 08-11-19, 10:01 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I ride on the road all the time. I have always in the past, and will always into the future use "mountain" pedals with "mountain" shoes.

Anyone who thinks I'm doing it wrong, put your road shoes on and we'll race... to the top of the stairs.