Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

How to get cars to avoid the street you are on..

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

How to get cars to avoid the street you are on..

Old 02-18-20, 01:19 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
OK, true.

Except the thread wasn't really about a question it was "how to do it" not "how can it be done," so more rhetorical than anything else... and focused on the issue of the "art" mentio ed in the OP.

But, the thread has shifted... and you are correct.

Your application, however is expensive, and requires a constant power source. What my old neighborhood did was pretty cost effective.

So going down that path of bollard protected neighborhoods... I recall the whole central core of Oulu Finland being car free... I don't recall barriers... seems like there must have been something. I also recall two blocks of Rue Cler in Paris, and the Latin quarter as being car free.
I appreciate working with what you got and your personal heroics. I was just trying to point out that the fire code doesn't need to be a problem.

Moving bollards are mostly used in area's where there might be confusion or temptation in drivers. Car free isn't always legally car free but if there are no decent access roads, cars have nowhere to park and have to drive around for hours to get out you won't see many of them.
Old 02-19-20, 08:55 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 188 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I've been told cars with inbuilt GPS navigation systems lose value more quickly, because they're expensive to update. Seattle has been revising traffic (making some roads one way etc) for the past several years and either you buy an overpriced update, or you're in a blind leading the blind situation when you actually need help navigating.

The last time I used a cue sheet on a bike, a gale force wind took it from me, and I had to rely on my own wits. Amazing I made it out alive!
​​​​​​
I got a map holder I can wear on my forearm, or my thigh, whichever is most convenient. It works on my arm for biking (it's made for motorcycles). If you want a paper map, it's nice to have on your arm, although it's a little uncomfortable. Touratech makes one that works on motorcycle handlebars now that could probably be made to work on a bicycle.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 02-19-20, 09:43 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 8177 Post(s)
Liked 743 Times in 521 Posts
Back in my touring days I had a handlebar bag that was rather rectangular, a heavy wire frame over the bars held it in place. On the top of this bag was a clear "window," under which I could place a paper map. It worked pretty well. It did not follow me along like a GPS, and required me to stop to get a good look... but heck, while loaded touring I only moved at about 12-14MPH anyway.
Old 02-19-20, 04:34 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 30 Posts
Not quite a 100 years ago the state of Wa designated significant areas of SW Wa beaches as “state highways” as they were primary routes of access before roads became common. Weather, seasons, clam tides and tides in general tend to limit motor vehicle access. This is pretty typical. My FatBike as a highway bike LOL.

Likes For Jseis:
Old 02-23-20, 09:35 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 242 Posts

That should work.