Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What kind of tires are these?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-22-20, 12:52 PM
Hexar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Hi Guys,
I bought several 26" tires, but I am sure what type of tires they are.

They are Cheng Shin Tire, I guess CST is the brand name, and C-734-1 is the model number? But I cannot google any information related to this model. The tire size is 26x1.25 (32-559).

They are “new", still have the "new tire hair", but there is no tread, they are completely "bald", so I wonder if these are training tires? If yes, are they suitable for regular road use? in summer of course.

Thanks!

Old 02-22-20, 02:27 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Smooth tread is fine for road use, and less rolling resistance than a knobbie tread.
Old 02-22-20, 02:59 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I’m uncertain what the question here is.
Old 02-22-20, 04:24 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
The same company makes Maxxis tires which have a pretty good reputation. I used a sub-$10 city tire version of the CS tire for fixing old bikes for kids and never had a complaint about the tires. If you ride in an area with road debris or thorns such as goatheads you will probably have more flats than using a tire with tread. I rode many thousands of miles using Tioga Comp pools on a trike which are similar in being "bald". Bald is when the tire cord starts to show through.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 02-22-20, 04:38 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Slick, yes, bald, no.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-22-20, 04:41 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,646 Times in 4,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Hexar
Hi Guys,
I bought several 26" tires, but I am sure what type of tires they are.

They are Cheng Shin Tire, I guess CST is the brand name, and C-734-1 is the model number? But I cannot google any information related to this model. The tire size is 26x1.25 (32-559).

They are “new", still have the "new tire hair", but there is no tread, they are completely "bald", so I wonder if these are training tires? If yes, are they suitable for regular road use? in summer of course.
I wouldn't call em training tires, as they look rather heavy, and not many racers train on wire bead tires. More like commuter tires. Or MTB slicks.

Could be the same tires Performance used to market as the Forte Slick City ST

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 02-22-20 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-22-20, 04:45 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
way back in the mid-1980s in Toronto, Canada I had 19mm smooth tread Michelin slicks on my road bike. I was very surprise in winter on hard-packed snow and ice at just how much grip those tires had.

In summer when touring on roads with my MIELE MTB that's converted to a drop handlebar, I run 26" x 1.5" slick tires and i love them. THe switch from knobby to slicks is akin to having a couple more gears as the slicks are so much easier to get up to speed and to keep it there. In fact on one bike i used them on temporarily, I put on a larger chainring as the original large chainring wan't big enough and I'd spin out on it. With the knobby tires spinning out was never a problem. Those slicks simply use a lot less energy than the knobbies do. I don't know about Cheng Shin tires though as I've never used them.

For road use I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised and will love the feel of the tires.

Cheers
Old 02-22-20, 06:04 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Hexar
...The tire size is 26x1.25...there is no tread, they are completely "bald", so I wonder if these are training tires? If yes, are they suitable for regular road use?
Originally Posted by Miele Man
...my MIELE MTB that's converted to a drop handlebar, I run 26" x 1.5" slick tires and i love them...I put on a larger chainring as the original large chainring wan't big enough and I'd spin out on it. ...For road use I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised and will love the feel of the tires.
Way before I discovered bikeforums I bought a 26" MTB to commute on. I quickly replaced the big chainring up front with the largest that would fit (53) because, like Miele Man I was spinning out. I had been running knobbies and then hybrid tires, smooth on the center with knobs on the shouklders. They were much faster than full tread tires, but cornering was squirrly since leaning into a turn put the bike on the knobs and grip decreased dramatically.

Since then I had usually run 26x1.5 to 1.65 smooth street tires until spring 2017 when I tried a pair of 26x1.85 WTB "Slicks". The WTBs have super supple sidewalls and minimal tread...more of a suggestion than tread. They are phenomenally fast and comfortable!

Just this last fall I converted my MTB to drop bars due to hand issues (did it myself for about $80 including interrupter/cross brakes...thanks bike co-op!) Although it is my heaviest bike it absolutely flies!

As far as completely slick tires like Hexar posted, I think a lot of fixie riders like them, especially if they don't use hand-brakes and rely on skid-stops. That's where they pull the back wheel off the ground for a moment and kick back on it. I assume this is easier when clipped in.

A few years ago I was at bike shop and bought a pair of 700x38 completely smooth (and white!) tires to try on my old 12-speed. The casing was very thick, since I imagine they would experience plenty of wear if they were used in the rear of a kick-stopped fixie. The 38s were too big for the fork crown of my 12-speed.
Old 02-22-20, 07:18 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I run 1.95 Specialized Fat Boys on my Cimarron.
Old 02-23-20, 08:38 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
CST = Cheap Shoddy Tires. However they are usable on the road. Many common road tires are a smooth tread to give better contact on the road since anything with knobs won't dig in to hard concrete or asphalt.
Old 02-23-20, 12:01 PM
Hexar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks a lot guys for the replies. I now know.