Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Recumbents For Dummies

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Recumbents For Dummies

Old 01-25-20, 10:19 AM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Recumbents For Dummies

I have gone through the threads here and have spent some time googling, and I could do more online if I must, but I have some very basic questions as someone not familiar with recumbants. I don't understand the references I keep seeing to "DF" bikes, or the advantages of short v. long wheelbase, or 2 v. 3 wheel bikes (other than the obvious balance issue), etc. Most of these posts seem to involve some sort of basic knowledge.

Is there a source, online or in a book, that can give a very basic primer on recumbants; types, purposes of each, comparisons, etc.? I don't need a recumbent for any particular reason but they look like a lot of fun but I don't know where to start.
Old 01-25-20, 10:49 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10957 Post(s)
Liked 4,613 Times in 2,118 Posts
DF means "diamond frame" like in a regular upright bicycle.

As to the other questions like short vs. long or 2 wheel vs. 3, you'll get a lot of differing opinions.

Old 01-25-20, 11:14 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by spinconn
Most of these posts seem to involve some sort of basic knowledge.
I don't need a recumbent for any particular reason but they look like a lot of fun but I don't know where to start.
Recumbents are a developing technology. The technology is changing faster than I can absorb.
FWIW, I suspect there's a lot more data available here than there is understanding.
Old 01-25-20, 01:30 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
There are numerous recumbent overview documents online. Here is just one. I live in a built up urban area I have seen one recumbent trike in 3 years. I've never seen a lowracer. Bicycle Man doesn't even sell lowracers anymore because they all get returned. Trikes and lowracers sit about the same distance off the ground. Very intimidating to ride in heavy traffic. A long wheelbase bent can approach the length of a DF tandem but will only carry one rider. They can only get so light unless made from carbon fiber ($$$). They remain popular because they can have much more predictable handling than the more sporting designs. With fairings and/or bodysocks they can be very fast. Highracers and lowracers are both considered SWB in layout and put the riders feet high and their heads low and this makes for a less intuitive handling paradigm. For those with the innate aptitude or the will to acquire it through practice they offer the reward of high performance and low weight. As always there are exceptions to every generalization.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 01-25-20, 03:08 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Lots of good info in the BicycleMan link above.
Really basic info: If it has 2 wheels, it's a recumbent bike and if it has 3 wheels, it's a recumbent trike.

I ride 2 recumbent bikes, one a short wheelbase and the other a long wheelbase. Pretty easy to tell which is which.

I also share a recumbent tandem with my stoker/spouse.
Old 01-25-20, 05:17 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Heh! Personally I don't get why lowracers are too low but trikes of the same height represent 90% of the current market. Lowracers are awesome and the feet-higher-than-the-seat has never been a problem for me. Recumbents used to be defined by their wheelbase, which put lowracers in limbo between Short and Long wheelbases. But I've always defined them by where the pedals are in relation to the steerer tube - ahead of steerer = short wheelbase, behind steerer = long wheelbase. To be a lowracer, the lowest part of the seat should be at or below the axle of the drive wheel. One of the checkpoints is the ability to put a hand down at a stop. The advantage is that the wheels share the same frontal area as the rider's body; and in fact a rear wheel with spoke covers can act as a tail fairing to help minimize that sucky draft thing going behind most cyclists. The disadvatages (if, like me, you don't consider lowness a problem,) is the less-efficient chain line and the small front tire. Rolling resistances for even the best 20" tires are about double a good 700c tire.

Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 01-26-20, 08:19 AM
spinconn

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Thanks guys. The BicycleMan site helped a lot and I figured out I needed to research recumbent "road" bikes instead of just recumbent bikes, which kept bringing up stationary gym bikes.
Old 01-27-20, 11:36 PM
trestlehed

Bikes: Santa Cruz Heckler, EZ Sport AX, Lightfoot Rambler, Electra Townie 24D "The Holy Grail of Beach Cruisers"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I kinda speed-read thru the replies above, so just in case no one mentioned it,
Bent Rider Online is THE web resource you want to peruse for all things recumbent:

BentRider Online Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Good luck!
Likes For trestlehed:
Old 01-28-20, 08:28 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
FWIW I have a 'Delta' AND a 'Tadpole' trike and an Easy Racer Tour easy LE model, and that one Is a Long Wheel Base recumbent.
Keep In mind LWB means a Long Bike, like 96 Inches long, It handles like a dream and a company called Rans has them perfected IMHO..
BUT Living with and transporting a Long Bike is an adventure In It self..
Be prepared to drive great distances to test ride before you buy.... remember that.
Old 01-29-20, 10:14 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I started with a recumbent bike back in 2011.

My recumbent trike is actually a Strada velomobile that is my go to winter commuter.

I still want a trike for trail and off road riding, but that's going to have to wait until I buy a house with a bigger garage.
Old 01-30-20, 10:11 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
I still want a trike for trail and off road riding, but that's going to have to wait until I buy a house with a bigger garage.
Gee , and I used to think that buying a minivan to go with our tandem bicycle was a pricy accessory.
Old 01-30-20, 11:52 AM
Notso_fastLane

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Gee , and I used to think that buying a minivan to go with our tandem bicycle was a pricy accessory.
LOL. Yeah, currently in my garage: my wife's car
my 2 motorcycles
recumbent bike
velomobile

The minivan won't fit in the garage, so it stays out on the driveway.
Old 01-31-20, 10:45 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
LOL. Yeah, currently in my garage: my wife's car
my 2 motorcycles
recumbent bike
velomobile

The minivan won't fit in the garage, so it stays out on the driveway.
Kids these days... I started riding and building recumbent trikes back in the 1980's. I have 4 recumbents and 4 uprights in my garage and the van and the sedan stay out on the driveway.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 02-01-20, 04:05 PM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Kids these days... I started riding and building recumbent trikes back in the 1980's. I have 4 recumbents and 4 uprights in my garage and the van and the sedan stay out on the driveway.
Yeah, I do the same, all my toys park in the garage, all regular vehicles outside except my wife's car, and it's a 3 car garage with a bit of extra depth !
Old 02-01-20, 09:23 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilbur Bud
Yeah, I do the same, all my toys park in the garage, all regular vehicles outside except my wife's car, and it's a 3 car garage with a bit of extra depth !
Mine is a 2 car garage. If I had a 3 car garage I'd get more bikes!

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 02-03-20, 07:14 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

My third garage bay holds my tractor and 4 bikes. Any excess bikes have to go in the pole barn.
Old 02-09-20, 08:07 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
FWIW a long wheel base bent is the most easy to transition to from a DF bike. A good example would be a RANS Stratus.
Old 02-23-20, 07:48 PM
Schwinnhund
Gearhead

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, Sun EZ-1 Recumbent, Cannondale R-400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by spinconn
I have gone through the threads here and have spent some time googling, and I could do more online if I must, but I have some very basic questions as someone not familiar with recumbants. I don't understand the references I keep seeing to "DF" bikes, or the advantages of short v. long wheelbase, or 2 v. 3 wheel bikes (other than the obvious balance issue), etc. Most of these posts seem to involve some sort of basic knowledge.

Is there a source, online or in a book, that can give a very basic primer on recumbents; types, purposes of each, comparisons, etc.? I don't need a recumbent for any particular reason but they look like a lot of fun but I don't know where to start.

It's not very complicated. I am not sure it is worth a book. But if you really want one, try https://www.amazon.com/Recumbent-Bic.../dp/189259059X. It's the only book on recumbents that I know of. I have never read it myself, but maybe I should. YouTube is another great resource.

DF means Diamond Frame..in other words, a standard bike.

A short wheel-base will result in a more maneuverable bike, maybe even a little skitterish. Good for racing and aggressive riding. A long wheel-base will result in more stable and docile handling and a wider turn radius. Great for carrying loads, and easy leisure riding. 3-wheel bikes are good for those who may have balance issues, or trouble putting their feet down to hold the bike up at stops, such as someone with MS, or leg numbness from diabetes. Other than that, they are just a lot of fun to ride. I love mine. I use it to run errands to Walmart and the grocery stores. I get a lot of positive comments from onlookers. They're just cool.....
Old 02-24-20, 02:30 PM
Notso_fastLane

I prefer to refer to my SWB bent as 'agile'.
Old 03-02-20, 07:41 AM
BlazingPedals

One man's "squirrely" is another man's "responsive." My Nocom (avatar bike) is a handfull at low speeds; but once you get it up to 18-20+ mph, it tracks like it's on rails. As such, it would be a poor choice for commuting - for that my V-Rex would be 'King.' It isn't particularly fast but it handles well at all speeds.
Likes For BlazingPedals: