Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Is it safe to ride with the Coronavirus going around?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Is it safe to ride with the Coronavirus going around?

Old 03-14-20, 02:04 PM
Moishe
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy View Post
This is freakin huge. 320 million people and only 2000 have the virus

just freaking huge
Looks like we have a stable genius here.

And, by the way, you misspelled "yuge"
Old 03-14-20, 02:20 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
We're basically in a situation where it's clear what's going to happen to us in the next few months is going to largely be a matter of luck, and doing stupid stuff like hoarding seems to give people an illusion of control.

I'm most annoyed by not being able to find produce. Why the hell are people hoarding perishables?
Its not totally luck. If you can do the social distancing thing properly your odds are much better. Problem is people have to go to work, take public transport, go grocery shopping, etc.
Old 03-14-20, 02:31 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Moishe View Post
Looks like we have a stable genius here.

And, by the way, you misspelled "yuge"
math speaks for itself

pure mathematics proves this isn’t the problem that the public is being sold
Old 03-14-20, 02:32 PM
Moishe
Banned.

Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Once again, please keep the political commentary to yourselves.
Hey Billy, why not put this thread out of its misery? There hasnít been even a mention of a bicycle in weeks. The least you can do is send it to that Politics and Religion hellhole.
Old 03-14-20, 02:45 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1718 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum View Post
The people that dont contract Coronavirus will get much fatter from hiding out in their houses and eating all that food.
Yes and when coronavirus eventually goes away we will end up with an even bigger obesity epidemic than we already have.
Old 03-14-20, 03:03 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 5775 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
Yes and when coronavirus eventually goes away we will end up with an even bigger obesity epidemic than we already have.
Actually, obese people are among the groups more likely to die from the virus ....

Originally Posted by Moishe View Post
Hey Billy, why not put this thread out of its misery? There hasnít been even a mention of a bicycle in weeks. The least you can do is send it to that Politics and Religion hellhole.
Well .... should we use toe clips, flat pedals, or clipless when riding in the time of the virus?

Tubes, tubeless, or tubular?

(It worked with that other thread .... )
Old 03-14-20, 03:35 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1718 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

Well .... should we use toe clips, flat pedals, or clipless when riding in the time of the virus?
Forget about what pedal we should use, I think we should all start to sanitize our bikes before and after every ride.
Old 03-14-20, 05:02 PM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 2,285 Times in 1,312 Posts
Originally Posted by alanf View Post
So you would rather die than expand your knowledge. Interesting, good luck!
No, I'd rather live than put my fate into the hands of a magical-thinking charlatan.

Whar does the duck say, duck say, duck say? Quack, quack, quack!
Old 03-14-20, 05:13 PM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

math speaks for itself

pure mathematics proves this isnít the problem that the public is being sold

Figures don't lie, but liars figure. As explained to you several times, no one believes the numbers because almost no one is being tested in the US. Also, you are obviously unfamiliar with the concept of exponentials. Every infected person is projected to infect an average of 3 people. Project that math.
Old 03-14-20, 05:33 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Once again, please keep the political commentary to yourselves.
Or just PM them to me ! I think this thread has been hilarious !
Old 03-14-20, 05:33 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 155 Posts
This chart is pretty fascinating. I checked a few minutes ago to see if the U.S. data was still tracking the Italian data. As of today (March 14, 19:30 EDT), the number of cases in the U.S. is 2,836, so we're starting to pull ahead of the Italians. (The rate is holding at about 40% more cases per day.)

Italy compared to the U.S.:
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-14-20, 06:26 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 168 Posts
Common sense does not seem to apply for many.

if it actually did you peeps would shut down everything each flue season with the actual math on flu deaths each winter but instead you conveniently won’t mention the regular flu virus death count
Old 03-14-20, 07:15 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
if it actually did you peeps would shut down everything each flue season with the actual math on flu deaths each winter but instead you conveniently won’t mention the regular flu virus death count
Hi Rajflyboy,
The flu deaths each winter is a bit of stretch of the truth that the drug companies use to sell drugs/vaccines. Here's why;
Every year old folks who are at death's door are shut inside, out of the sun, eating low quality food, breathing institutional air, and being drowned in meds in old folks homes.
The meds combinations and #'s are astounding. I read one survey that said 28 different meds is common. When I visited my aunt they would be passing by periodically to give her a cocktail of crap er ah.... meds. Some PPL might actually refer to it as quackery*** but that's another story.
At some point all of the medical crap builds up in the kidneys/liver etc and conspires to kill them. Naturally the Docs are not interested in taking any blame so on the death certificate they just write "influenza". There is no autopsies/medical reports, blood tests whatsoever, just a completely bogus guess. Typically they actually administer morphine to speed up the process, so most old folks (like yours and mine) die in a stupefied state. Very sad but true, so this is why the sky high ridiculous flu deaths stats. The system is what it is and I realize why it is done, but I don't agree.

*** The term quack goes back to the days of Lincoln. Back then the Allopathic Docs thought that when a patient came in they should right off the bat give them a vial of quicksilver which we know nowadays as mercury, which is well known to be one of the most powerful neurotoxins on the planet. If patients weren't sick before, they sure were afterwards, with some actually being instutuionalized in a sanitorium, like Lincoln himself.

This treatment method which they justified some way or another, eventually drove the works of the rascals out of business because 'quick'silver turned into 'quack' and they were known as quack Doctors. Eventually they changed tactics, but they still put mercury in meds including vaccines. (Thimerisol etc.) They do this with zero science behind it, just "grandfathered) it in. I have heard that Aspirin would not be certifiable by todays standards, but it is "grandfathered in". When they knuckled down under intense pressure they started putting aluminum in. Another neurotoxin scientifically verified to be associated with dementia.
They cleverly label the mercury in some language created by an English major where they say 'other things less than 2%' or some other gobbledigook.

Can you imagine going into a restaurant and reading a legal statement at the bottom of the menu which states "Your meal contains less than 2% of the worst neurotoxin on the planet."

For any of you with the time and training, Robert Kennedy Junior has offered I believe $ 100,000 USD to anyone who can prove that mercury is safe injected into a person. He was appointed by DT to head up a committee to study vaccine safety. https://childrenshealthdefense.org

Last edited by alanf; 03-14-20 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-14-20, 07:33 PM
alanf

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
I don't know where you live in Canada.... I can tell you that here in my area the shopping madness is far worse than Christmass and Black Friday...Being in cheerful mood does not change the fact that people are on edge and panicky and worried about long term consequences of this new virus...This toilet paper hoarding really has me puzzled, I was reading that toilet paper manufacturers are working overtime like never before to keep up with the demand ....This may be a good time to invest in toilet paper stocks.
Hi wolfchild,
I live on the 'wet' coast, Vancouver Island. I was offered a job on Centre Island years ago and I declined basically for the reasons you described. I prefer a slower pace.
I hear you re: the panic. Our uber intellectual Prime Minister has not shut off the airlines. There was a flight in from Italy last night. Passengers were not checked/screened in any way. Apparently he is too busy shuttering businesses all over the country, shutting out investment.

The good news is that the flu season ends in another month or so.
Old 03-14-20, 07:43 PM
alanf

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Figures don't lie, but liars figure. As explained to you several times, no one believes the numbers because almost no one is being tested in the US. Also, you are obviously unfamiliar with the concept of exponentials. Every infected person is projected to infect an average of 3 people. Project that math.
I can just imagine, 330 million folks lined up to get tested. Now that would be a party! If they weren't sick before they would be then. I think a bit of common sense would be more useful than algebra or calculous.
Old 03-14-20, 07:49 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 155 Posts
Actually, obese people are among the groups more likely to die from the virus ....
Since we're all too fat by pro cycling standards, we're all doomed.
Well .... should we use toe clips, flat pedals, or clipless when riding in the time of the virus? Tubes, tubeless, or tubular?
Disc brakes stop the spread of coronavirus better, in both wet and dry conditions.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-14-20, 08:25 PM
AdkMtnMonster

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 99 Posts
To anyone who thinks that a mere <3000 confirmed cases as of 3/14/2020 is "nothing," I'll ask this- which would you choose for a monthly salary: $25,000 for four weeks or work, or a single penny on the first day, but your salary gets doubled every day until the 30th day, when you get paid?

Welcome to Coronavirus and the truth about how pandemics grow.

Everyone, please be careful, considerate, and healthy. We're all on this little rock together, and as fragile as life is, it's far too short to be ended with dirty hands and selfish acts. Look out for yourselves, and those you love, and look out for the rest of us as much as you can.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 03-14-20, 08:38 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2770 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 119 Posts

Speaking of "pure math", fitting these to a parametric equation it's exponential. Projecting it to 6 weeks would predict 8 million people infected.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 03-14-20, 08:43 PM
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 287 Posts

if it actually did you peeps would shut down everything each flue season with the actual math on flu deaths each winter but instead you conveniently wonít mention the regular flu virus death count
If this outbreak goes where the best experts fear it could (and likely will if we donít take more drastic action than we are now) it will be a lot more deaths than any flu outbreak in most of our lifetimes..

And people who are continuing to insist there is no problem are going to deserve a lot of the blame for it.

Last edited by Kapusta; 03-14-20 at 08:51 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-14-20, 09:11 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 132 Posts

if it actually did you peeps would shut down everything each flue season with the actual math on flu deaths each winter but instead you conveniently wonít mention the regular flu virus death count
Perhaps you should consider the possibility that it's you, and not all the disease experts who are advising their governments to shut everything down, that is wrong. Generally it's considered "common sense" to pay attention to what the experts are saying and doing.

Oh, it's also not really "common sense" to compare the number of deaths from a disease that has run it's entire life cycle to one that is just getting started.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 03-14-20, 09:15 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 132 Posts
Hi Rajflyboy,
The flu deaths each winter is a bit of stretch of the truth that the drug companies use to sell drugs/vaccines. Here's why;
Every year old folks who are at death's door are shut inside, out of the sun, eating low quality food, breathing institutional air, and being drowned in meds in old folks homes.
The meds combinations and #'s are astounding. I read one survey that said 28 different meds is common. When I visited my aunt they would be passing by periodically to give her a cocktail of crap er ah.... meds. Some PPL might actually refer to it as quackery*** but that's another story.
At some point all of the medical crap builds up in the kidneys/liver etc and conspires to kill them. Naturally the Docs are not interested in taking any blame so on the death certificate they just write "influenza". There is no autopsies/medical reports, blood tests whatsoever, just a completely bogus guess. Typically they actually administer morphine to speed up the process, so most old folks (like yours and mine) die in a stupefied state. Very sad but true, so this is why the sky high ridiculous flu deaths stats. The system is what it is and I realize why it is done, but I don't agree.

*** The term quack goes back to the days of Lincoln. Back then the Allopathic Docs thought that when a patient came in they should right off the bat give them a vial of quicksilver which we know nowadays as mercury, which is well known to be one of the most powerful neurotoxins on the planet. If patients weren't sick before, they sure were afterwards, with some actually being instutuionalized in a sanitorium, like Lincoln himself.

This treatment method which they justified some way or another, eventually drove the works of the rascals out of business because 'quick'silver turned into 'quack' and they were known as quack Doctors. Eventually they changed tactics, but they still put mercury in meds including vaccines. (Thimerisol etc.) They do this with zero science behind it, just "grandfathered) it in. I have heard that Aspirin would not be certifiable by todays standards, but it is "grandfathered in". When they knuckled down under intense pressure they started putting aluminum in. Another neurotoxin scientifically verified to be associated with dementia.
They cleverly label the mercury in some language created by an English major where they say 'other things less than 2%' or some other gobbledigook.

Can you imagine going into a restaurant and reading a legal statement at the bottom of the menu which states "Your meal contains less than 2% of the worst neurotoxin on the planet."

For any of you with the time and training, Robert Kennedy Junior has offered I believe $ 100,000 USD to anyone who can prove that mercury is safe injected into a person. He was appointed by DT to head up a committee to study vaccine safety. https://childrenshealthdefense.org
The last thing we need now is anti-vaxx BS like this. Go away.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 03-14-20, 10:45 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 5775 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 277 Posts
Vaccines are so deadly they killed smallpox, polio, measles, and German measles ... and poor, poor, tetanus. We hardly know ye.

Oh, and for the people who still think 2+2=5 .... look at how many flu deaths we have every year .... 80,000 in 2018, I believe. That is a Lot.

Now figure that the flue has a 0.1 percent mortality rate, as in one in one thousand die from it. (possibly because we are constantly working on vaccines for it .... or it might kill a lot more.)

Wuhan flu, on the other hand has a three percent mortality rate. Three in one hundred die from it. And there is no vaccine for it.

Which is bigger, a tenth of a percent or three percent (in your world)?

In the world the rest of us inhabit, Wuhan flu is a Lot more deadly ... which might be a good reason not to let it spread, eh?

I think I am about done here. Some folks are happy living on Flat Earth. Why should I disturb them?

They will be disturbed enough when people start dying around them.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-15-20, 05:54 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

I can just imagine, 330 million folks lined up to get tested. Now that would be a party! If they weren't sick before they would be then. I think a bit of common sense would be more useful than algebra or calculous.

Obviously, you haven't been vaccinated from Strawmanitis. There's a lot of room between testing almost no one and testing everyone.

You developing a test for qi deficiency? Should we all be panic buying herbs?

I don't know why mods allow people to pitch snake oil in a cycling forum.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-15-20, 06:16 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

This thread has degenerated into people posting mathematically illiterate denialism and/or arguing that coronavirus should be treated with twigs and bark. Both of those are so dangerous in the current environment that they have to be answered.

Mods, please shut this down.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-15-20, 06:36 AM
Moishe
Banned.

This thread has degenerated into people posting mathematically illiterate denialism and/or arguing that coronavirus should be treated with twigs and bark. Both of those are so dangerous in the current environment that they have to be answered.

Mods, please shut this down.
Yes. And we need not be deprived. There are many internet venues entirely devoted to an exchange of dumbass political opinions. And most of them also rarely mention bicycles.

Last edited by Moishe; 03-15-20 at 06:40 AM.
Likes For Moishe:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.