Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

A Stupidly Expensive Lesson Of Stupidity

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

A Stupidly Expensive Lesson Of Stupidity

Old 03-14-20, 05:37 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what kind of pannier was it that fell off?
Old 03-14-20, 06:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
I have Ortlieb panniers, and they are the universe's easiest-to-remove panniers. I heard from a friend that a friend of hers got her pannier snatched while waiting at a red light. It can happen! After I heard that story, I ran a bungie through the handles to make removing them slower.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 03-14-20, 07:08 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I commuted with front LowRiders for many years. I'd space and not push the panniers down past the "click". Falling off happened. But there is no way a front pannier is falling off and you not knowing! (I worried about the pannier getting tangled with the bike but they have always fallen well clear and never been an issue at any speed.

I carry my wallet and personals on me for a completely different reason. If I am ever separated from my bike, I want them on me! I don't care how safe the bike is. Could make a real difference in hospital choices, especially if I am not conscious. Phone in my pocket means I might be able to get a call out after a crash on a solo ride.
Old 03-14-20, 07:10 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I was having a terribly pessimistic moment. Sorry, and I hope you understand. We are in a time of fear and doubt. I've hereby lifted my chin back up. Carry on.
I've got nothing to add for the OP...But I feel compelled to compliment you. It's rare that anyone on the internet ever acknowledges a weakness, a mistake - even though we all make them.

Keep you chin up, Tom.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-14-20, 10:03 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Did you ever set up the find-my-phone app?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-15-20, 08:31 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Did you ever set up the find-my-phone app?
good question, and if it's android and set up with Google you don't even need an app
https://www.google.com/android/find?hl=en&u=0 to locate the phone, at least to the point where the battery is drained, and you can also lock or erase it,
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 03-15-20, 10:10 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Years ago, I had noticed on my panniers that after or during rides, one of the hooks would always bounce off the rack.

So one year I splurged and got an Arkel with cams that grip onto the back rack. Even then, I would secure it more with a carabiner.
Old 03-16-20, 02:30 PM
JayKay3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
I'd be mad and upset too. I lost my phone a few months ago after I thought I dropped it on a ride. It turned out I dropped it at home and I eventually found it, but it really threw me through a loop as my life is on my phone. I now carry a cheap simple phone on the bike for emergencies.

I've thought about investing in a front mounted bag to put things like keys or phone in.

It's not really losing the stuff I would worry about. If a scumbag finds your keys and ID, then can they work out where you live. Do you then have to change your home locks and quickly cancel the cards so someone doesn't try to use them and if they manage to get into your phone, then what do they get to there. Suddenly you have to change all your account passwords for all the things it might be logged into.

Monetary is secondary. It's what else they can find out. Not fun.
Old 03-16-20, 07:24 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Luckily, my stupidity has only cost me about $22 in the past two years. Both cases, didn't secure items in trunk bag. Pair of gloves merely ran over (deteriorated, not destroyed) and a lost "johnny saddle". Still, lesson learned....
Old 03-16-20, 09:42 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Steely Dan Sorry to hear about your mishap. Is it possible you DID affix the pannier properly, but a part broke while you rode, or it "bounced off".

So much of my routes are away from heavy traffic, and I only listen to spoken word podcasts in one ear, so I usually hear when I roll over things, or when a tail-light falls off (twice), or my first helmet cam. However, fast heavy traffic is very loud, and I know you ride up between Evanston and the near north side of Chicago. That is a noisy commute, so I can understand why you wouldn't hear a pannier fall.

I think the idea of a bunger either behind or through a handle is a good idea.

Last edited by BobbyG; 03-17-20 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-17-20, 12:05 AM
Azfotog

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My worst fear!!!
Old 03-17-20, 07:52 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I have inexplicably dropped my phone on my commute, twice. On both occasions it somehow got out of my messenger bag and fell on the street. On both occasions I noticed its absence as soon as I got off the bike and used the Android feature to see where it was, and on both occasions this allowed me to actually find my phone more or less where it had fallen, though it took a while, and car tires had found it first.
Old 03-17-20, 10:33 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Steely Dan, my condolences. I've pulled a couple of dumber stunts, and been fortunate enough not to suffer for them.
Old 03-17-20, 12:00 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 5896 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
My pannier was apparently not properly affixed to my rear rack. It fell off somewhere along my route without my knowing. Wallet, phone, and keys, gone.
I'm sorry for you, but it tells something about the importance of bike weight.

Not beeing able to keep an eye on the valuables I carry is one of the reasons I and many of my compratiots prefer the front carrier these days.
Old 03-31-20, 01:15 PM
PollyS8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oh, man, really sorry for you. It happens.
Old 03-31-20, 01:42 PM
univega.duder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
I so sorry to hear you lost your pannier and valuables :-(

Last year my rear pannier bounced off my bike while riding from Soho to Brooklyn. I didn't realize until I was back in Brooklyn that it had bounced off and I had no idea where it had happened. The pannier had my wallet and my phone and other valuables. I asked a stranger in a park to borrow their phone to use the "lost my phone" function. They must have seen my desperation and were kind enough to let me use their phone. The app showed a green dot on the corner of Spring and Broadway. I rode faster than I ever have in my life and found my pannier on the side of the Spring st between a sewer grate and a homeless man. Perhaps my ratty old Cannondale pannier wasn't alluring enough to be scooped up. In any case I was very surprised that it sat untouched for over an hour in the middle of Soho. I consider myself very lucky and thankful for the "find my phone" function. I also subsequently purchase a pair of Lone Peak lock on pannier hooks to retrofit my Cannondale panniers. I've been very careful ever since to make sure they are attached properly.
Likes For univega.duder:
Old 04-03-20, 04:30 PM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Android also allows you to add your contact info to your lock screen under system settings > security > lock screen message in case an honest person finds your lost gear.
Old 04-03-20, 05:33 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 545 Posts
Sorry about that Steely Dan. While I didn't lose as much in terms of value, I can commiserate with another lost pannier story. I was coming down a hill about a mile from home on my commute. I hit a metal plate in a spot with road construction. One of my panniers popped off. I see it sitting in the road but off to the side. By the time I slow down and traffic clears for me to turn around, some dirt bag going the other way (who I just waited to let by) jumps out of his pickup truck, throws my pannier into the back, and speeds away. I watched it all from about 125 feet away. I chased with everything I had back up that hill. Another car who'd seen it all caught up behind me. He rolled down his window and I grabbed on to the stranger's car window like it was a team car. Off we sped together in pursuit. Alas, we lost him. At least it wasn't the pannier with my laptop, phone and wallets, but I was out 1/2 a set of panniers, set of clothes and some bike tools. The bag was on the ground maybe 20 seconds at most!
Old 04-09-20, 07:46 AM
ryan786i

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Explore, 2011 Raleigh Cadent FT0

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Did you also report the phone stolen? Blacklisting the IMEI will turn it into at best a tiny tablet, rather than allowing the person a full-featured phone.
Old 04-10-20, 08:40 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Talk about putting all the eggs in one basket ... :-)
Old 04-10-20, 12:12 PM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
Sorry about that Steely Dan. While I didn't lose as much in terms of value, I can commiserate with another lost pannier story. I was coming down a hill about a mile from home on my commute. I hit a metal plate in a spot with road construction. One of my panniers popped off. I see it sitting in the road but off to the side. By the time I slow down and traffic clears for me to turn around, some dirt bag going the other way (who I just waited to let by) jumps out of his pickup truck, throws my pannier into the back, and speeds away. I watched it all from about 125 feet away. I chased with everything I had back up that hill. Another car who'd seen it all caught up behind me. He rolled down his window and I grabbed on to the stranger's car window like it was a team car. Off we sped together in pursuit. Alas, we lost him. At least it wasn't the pannier with my laptop, phone and wallets, but I was out 1/2 a set of panniers, set of clothes and some bike tools. The bag was on the ground maybe 20 seconds at most!
That's such a awful story, you sometimes forget there are people like that in the world!

Same goes for steely dan. I can't imagine what that was like. I thought I lost my phone recently and it's a horrible feeling especially as a lot of us have so much of our lives in our phones and personal information / accounts, even financial information.