Old 03-17-20, 05:27 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2770 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
My personal theory and it's 100% conjecture is... Assuming equal strength of immune systems (i.e. take out of equation), how hard you get hit relative to the next guy is dependent on how much exposure you get before your immune system learns to fight the virus and begins mounting a defense. So if you get briefly exposed, by the time your body mounts a defense the viral load is moderate and the symptoms mild. But if someone is taking care of you and continuously exposed then the viral load will be much higher when their body's defense kicks in, and the symptoms will be more severe.

So yes... holding your breath and avoiding multiple contacts with the virus may be a good idea even if it's inevitable that you eventually get it.
Maybe. Stimulating antibodies, but I wouldn't say there is any specific data that this would work with COVID-19.
Old 03-17-20, 05:37 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2770 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 119 Posts
I was out riding yesterday BTW, my regular commute as always, and nothing changed in how I rode. Nobody else out to speak of.

On thing that hasn't been brought up yet - so I'm sure to get "neurotic and bizarre" from somewhere but here it is anyway. While strenuous exercise is known to improve our immune systems, sometimes there is a period of 2-3 hours post-exercise of depressed immune system. In light of that we don't want to avoid cycling, but immediately afterwards probably be more cautious than usual. Immediate shower, clean clothes, disinfect things, avoid people that sort of thing. Post-ride Starbucks is probably out. (Not saying that Starbucks is a good idea normally)
Old 03-17-20, 07:17 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3549 Post(s)
Liked 2,234 Times in 1,289 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster View Post
The best way to practice social distancing is to stay home as much as possible. Period. No cycling, no solo walks in the woods, etc...
That being said, I plan on doing a lot of solo riding while this is going on but I am not kidding myself that I am doing what is best during a pandemic and I find it pretty comical that anyone would try to justify it for reasons such as fitness or mental health lol.

Why don't you actually read what I wrote? I said "activity". Yes, if you live in a crowded city, being outside probably means you'll be in close proximity to other people, but many of us do not. I can easily maintain the recommended social distance on a bicycle, far more easily than I can confined to a sidewalk on foot or indoors at the grocery store.

I sincerely believe that IF I am going outdoors, bicycling is probably the most isolating physical activity I can engage in. So far, there has been no "stay inside" order or recommendation issued where I am, and when or if there is, I intend to obey it as well as possible.

I find it comical that you think "I can't justify it but I'm doing it" is a respectable position, btw. Obviously, you have your reasons why you think it's ok, so the fact you don't happen to like mine is not terribly interesting. Your usual insulting trolling.
Old 03-17-20, 07:28 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
Maybe. Stimulating antibodies, but I wouldn't say there is any specific data that this would work with COVID-19.

What he's saying is basically true of most viruses--the "viral load" of the exposure matters. Basically, all other things being equal, the more viruses you get from the outside, the faster it will spread in your body as each virus reproduces by latching onto a cell in your body and taking it over. Each cell taken over becomes a "factory", making copies of the virus, each of which, in turn, latches onto another cell and turns that cell into a factory. Essentially, once the initial infection occurs, that starts a race between the reproduction of the virus and your immune system's development of antibodies to attack the virus.

Totally made-up numbers, but there's a huge difference in the rate of reproduction if the virus initially inhabits 100 cells vs. 1000.

Fair warning--I have just enough medical knowledge and biology background to make myself dangerous, and I will be happy to be corrected by any medical experts if I got anything wrong here. I do know it's grossly simplified.

That said--load of the exposure is probably more of a factor in determining the severity in a person that is otherwise not especially vulnerable to the disease than it is with a vulnerable person.
Old 03-17-20, 08:27 AM
2old

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 75 Posts
From my perspective, and in an unhappy age group, unless there is a demand for quarantine, I'll ride off road since there are many places nearby where I can distance myself. To me, that doesn't need to be justified in any way since I can't envision any negative aspects. Only problem is it's been raining in socal a lot this month after none last month.
Likes For 2old:
Old 03-17-20, 08:31 AM
run50

Bikes: Seven Elium SLX, Spot Mountain bike, Surly LHT touring bike, Co-Motion Pangea touring bike,Trek 5500, Argon gravel bike, 1955 Schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I just returned from 3 mo of bike touring SE Asia (as I do every year for past 8 years), in Thailand and Cambodia and Philippines. Things in Cambodia were just fine (although I had to return back to Bangkok to get a new wheel built as the rear wheel on my Co-Motion Pangea completely separated inside the rim), Thailand has
had I think 60-75 cases reported of the virus before I left this past Sat. I wasn't due to return home until end of next month, but my daughter-in-law was at a medical conference with the CDC in Denver about 2 weeks ago and when she got home, she told my son they needed to get me back asap as **** was going to hit the fan in the US (as stated by CDC reps) in 2-3 weeks. I was able to get hold of Delta Thailand and Delta waived the $400 change flight fee and I was able to leave on the 14th, sa e flights, seats and class of seating. The flight had 1 person in Business Class, 3 of us in Premium Economy and 15 people in Economy in an Aerbus 333-900...completely empty. Was a little chaos in Seattle having to meet with reps from Homeland Security and Immigration to answer questions but got home ok Sat night.
Likes For run50:
Old 03-17-20, 09:17 AM
DorkDisk

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 107 Posts
I live and work in Manhattan; I've been told to work from home starting tomorrow, but still have to visit construction sites, which are near my office..... I've been citibiking more to and from work lately. There are very few people out today, and it feels gloomy and spooky.
Old 03-17-20, 10:00 AM
AdkMtnMonster

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 95 Posts
I work in a hospital laboratory. Can’t work from home. Heh. Sooooooooo many viral test specimens every hour of the day, and I live in an area where the entire county population is about 64,000. So far, no positives. All fingers, toes and eyes are crossed. Our population is quite skewed toward the elderly in this region.

I have spent so much time on the indoor trainer this winter. I’m ready to get outside where I can ride for hours and rarely ever see another cyclist, walker or runner. Few cars on most of the roads I ride. Please, send me some warm, sunny days so I can ride outside and take my mind off work and all of the Cov-2 specimens...
Old 03-17-20, 10:03 AM
jskash

Bikes: 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I ride before the sun comes up so I don't come into contact with very many people outside their cars.
Old 03-17-20, 10:07 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 56 Posts
One local club just canceled all their group rides thru the end of the month. Seems overwrought to me, especlally when there is evidence that being outdoors helps kill viruses:

https://medium.com/@ra.hobday/corona...c-509151dc8065

I don't want my club to cancel rides. Seems we could manage "social distancing" well enough. The one problem is that club insurance requires riders to sign in. So we put out a clipboard and a pen. Everyone picks up and uses the same pen. Trying to think of a way to have a non-contact sign-in that satisfies insurance and lawyers. I suppose we could tell everyone to bring a pen, just doubt that would really happen.
Old 03-17-20, 10:17 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Originally Posted by jimincalif View Post
One local club just canceled all their group rides thru the end of the month. Seems overwrought to me, especlally when there is evidence that being outdoors helps kill viruses:

I don't want my club to cancel rides. Seems we could manage "social distancing" well enough. The one problem is that club insurance requires riders to sign in. So we put out a clipboard and a pen. Everyone picks up and uses the same pen. Trying to think of a way to have a non-contact sign-in that satisfies insurance and lawyers. I suppose we could tell everyone to bring a pen, just doubt that would really happen.
Group activity is just going to be pretty much off the table for a while.
Old 03-17-20, 10:18 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif View Post

I personally would say the hell with it and and still ride but if your club has real concerns about minimizing risk I see your point.
No way around using a pen to sign in for a group ride in the 21st century
This amazing thread just keeps on giving!
Old 03-17-20, 10:40 AM
jimincalif

I personally would say the hell with it and and still ride but if your club has real concerns about minimizing risk I see your point.
Yeah, I would also still ride. But as a former club officer (as well as serving on other boards), I understand organizational decisions are sometimes necessarily different from individual ones.
Old 03-17-20, 11:00 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10816 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,309 Posts
Our club has on-line sign in. Has for many years, and lots of people use it. And the new protocol for people who donít is that only the ride leader touches the pen, etc.
Old 03-17-20, 12:02 PM
SayWatt

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My Local hike and bike trial has become a social gathering(or whatever the opposite of social distancing would be callled) spot now lol, before this pandemic social distancing was easy on it. Will be riding roads only for now.
Old 03-17-20, 12:18 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 132 Posts
The way I see it, and I'm sure this has been said already, the real issue with riding is the risk of crashing. If/when hospitals are full of covid-19 cases, going in with a broken collarbone exposes you to the disease, and worse, ties up valuable hospital resources that should be used for treating covid-19 illnesses. Our doctors and nurses are going to be pushed to the brink on this, so lets not make it harder for them. Ride now sure, but if/when things progress to the point where hospitals in your area are struggling to cope (like where they were in Italy a few days ago), stop and play it safe.
Old 03-17-20, 12:41 PM
jimincalif

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Our club has on-line sign in. Has for many years, and lots of people use it. And the new protocol for people who donít is that only the ride leader touches the pen, etc.
Nice. Is the online system something your club developed or is it a service/system that can be purchased or subscribed to?
Old 03-17-20, 12:42 PM
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 272 Posts
Went on a solo ride in the woods yesterday. Did not encounter a single person. Canít see any possible reason not to do this.

Someone from my local mtb club is starting up group rides next week. Iíve decided to skip them for now.

Old 03-17-20, 12:42 PM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
The way I see it, and I'm sure this has been said already, the real issue with riding is the risk of crashing. If/when hospitals are full of covid-19 cases, going in with a broken collarbone exposes you to the disease, and worse, ties up valuable hospital resources that should be used for treating covid-19 illnesses. Our doctors and nurses are going to be pushed to the brink on this, so lets not make it harder for them. Ride now sure, but if/when things progress to the point where hospitals in your area are struggling to cope (like where they were in Italy a few days ago), stop and play it safe.

I don't think a blanket "stop all riding" rule would make sense in that situation, and that's not what Spain enacted. Basically, anything you do has a risk of injury, so the question is whether you're increasing that risk unreasonably under the circumstances. That might mean figuring out if you're at greater risk driving or walking to the store than riding or the other way around. I know for me, it will probably mean reduced speed on whatever riding I'm doing if things really are that severe.

Spain still allows what we might call "utility riding", they've just banned the aimless rides of indefinite length that I happen to favor.
Old 03-17-20, 01:00 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I don't think a blanket "stop all riding" rule would make sense in that situation, and that's not what Spain enacted. Basically, anything you do has a risk of injury, so the question is whether you're increasing that risk unreasonably under the circumstances. That might mean figuring out if you're at greater risk driving or walking to the store than riding or the other way around. I know for me, it will probably mean reduced speed on whatever riding I'm doing if things really are that severe.

Spain still allows what we might call "utility riding", they've just banned the aimless rides of indefinite length that I happen to favor.
Sure. If you need to ride somewhere (grocery store, work etc.) that's one thing. But casual rides (including training) are optional and likely should be avoided.
Old 03-17-20, 03:01 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I hope cycling will be allowed. The gyms are closed, cycling is one of the few and best ways to exercise and enjoy life outdoor especially as the weather gets warmer and warmer. That said, it's time for those who have the habit of spitting or blowing nose while riding bike to change that habit. Hope you all agree?
Old 03-17-20, 03:25 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1716 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
I don't do anything stupid or careless during my recreational rides, so I don't see a problem...There are people out there whose jobs are more dangerous than riding a bike, so does that mean that they should stop going to work because of risk of injury ??...I realize that this is a difficult time for everybody and that we all need to be extra cautious but there is no reason to stop doing what we enjoy doing.
Old 03-17-20, 03:32 PM
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter

Bikes: '71 Jeunet 640, '74 Fuji Special Road Racer, '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 259 Posts
I was able to ride today after completing my telework for the day. It was a beautiful 65 degree Spring day in the DC area, and I rode safely. Pretty trees in bloom, light traffic and fantastically calm air made for an enjoyable ride. I passed a few folks (runners, bicyclists at intersections) and we didn't interact. I'm thankful that I was able to ride. Take care, all. Phil
Old 03-17-20, 03:57 PM
Moishe
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 43 Posts
One of the safest things you can do if you go out the front door of your house is ride a bike. Safest for you and for the rest of the human race. The key is to bring enough Gatorade and PB&J sandwiches so you donít have to stop anywhere. If you absolutely MUST stop at a convenience store for a bag of twinkies or whatever, avoid any kind of unprotected sex with the clerk, not even a wet tongue kiss.

Last edited by Moishe; 03-17-20 at 04:03 PM.
Likes For Moishe:
Old 03-17-20, 04:26 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 4473 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by vol View Post
I hope cycling will be allowed. The gyms are closed, cycling is one of the few and best ways to exercise and enjoy life outdoor especially as the weather gets warmer and warmer. That said, it's time for those who have the habit of spitting or blowing nose while riding bike to change that habit. Hope you all agree?
I mean, if you're in the habit of spitting on people, you should probably stop that. I will continue to spit and clear my nose, because in a two hour ride, I might see 15 people not in cars, and not pass within 20 feet of any of them. If I spit on the side of the road and no one is there to see it, did it even happen?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.