Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Are you still bike riding during coronavirus? What are options for people?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Are you still bike riding during coronavirus? What are options for people?

Old 03-24-20, 01:38 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 96 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts
I ride when it's not raining.
Old 03-24-20, 02:55 PM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1718 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 204 Posts
I am still commuting to work and riding recreationally on the weekends...There is a lot less traffic because all the non-essential businesses and services were ordered to shut down.
Old 03-24-20, 05:15 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 75 Posts
I live and ride in a rural area, so I'm not impacted at all. My riding is all solo, but my house is on a great riding road and I'm still seeing group rides pass by. Although I think the numbers may be smaller.
Old 03-24-20, 09:53 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 5775 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 277 Posts
I went for a ride this evening, and as I came up to one of the few lights where I wanted to turn, I realized how few cars I had seen---Just as I had that thought, a car blew by sort of close at high speed with a long, loud honk of the horn. So even if there are fewer cars, some of them still contain Darwin Award contenders.

Still .... I try not to design routes with left turns because often left turns require crossing multiple lanes of traffic, and drivers can be pretty oblivious, mega-bright bike lights nonwithstanding. At three left-turn lights tonight i had no problem .... there just weren't many people out driving.

Enjoy it while we can, I figure. Eventually this virus will be gone and roads will be the domain of automobiles once again.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-24-20, 10:38 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 32 Posts
Occasionally, daytime traffic is starting to get annoying.

N.Y.C. looks like a great place to ride , or at least it was last Saturday night.

Old 03-25-20, 04:48 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
i am riding as often as time and wearher permits. NWNJ area i rarelg come across people on road. the trails....rail trails are packed with zombie families...
most here are packed. safer on road. just lonely...miss my nyc rides

empty space
Old 03-25-20, 08:11 AM
cabledawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Still ride to work and still ride for groceries. Well when the weather is decent. I've learned to deal with the cold, but I still don't like the rain and I wont ride in the snow. And when I'm not riding, I get my exercise by hiking the park trails around where I live.
Old 03-25-20, 08:12 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: Norco CityGlide, Schwinn "Speedster" Willy

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 474 Posts
One thing for sure is more fully kitted roadies are out during the weekdays than usual. I saw several in the industrial areas I was driving through for work yesterday. Usually that doesn't happen until Sundays around here due to all the heavy truck traffic and regular vehicles. But traffic is very, very light.

Anyway, today's the first day of my county being "locked down". I'm kinda working at home, but will be taking a spin soon on one of the bikes.

For some reason these light traffic roadways are bringing out the crazy drivers. 90mph in a 60. 50mph in a 35. Wreckless maneuvering to go around other cars. They won't be able to stop if they have to. Plenty of car wrecks here as a result. Perhaps out of proportion to the amount of people actually on the road.

Watch yourselves out there.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 03-25-20, 09:07 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

[QUOTE=FiftySix;21382777] For some reason these light traffic roadways are bringing out the crazy drivers. 90mph in a 60. 50mph in a 35. Wreckless maneuvering to go around other cars. {/quote} Well, so long as they stay wreck-less i guess it is okay.

Just kidding. My wife (who is essential personnel and forced to drive to work) remarked on the same thing. People see the wide-open roads and forget that speed limits are established based on how fast a crazy person can safely drive that section. A whole lot of speeders .... also a whole lot of happy cops writing huge tickets.

But I agree .... assuming that we are safe because there are fewer cars is not in itself safe.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-25-20, 10:17 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3576 Post(s)
Liked 2,302 Times in 1,318 Posts
[QUOTE=Maelochs;21382846]
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
For some reason these light traffic roadways are bringing out the crazy drivers. 90mph in a 60. 50mph in a 35. Wreckless maneuvering to go around other cars. {/quote} Well, so long as they stay wreck-less i guess it is okay.

That whole "almost an antonym" thing is why "wreckless" is one of my favorite common misspellings.

Spell check doesn't catch it because "wreckless" and "reckless" are both legitimate words. People need to be more reckful about which one they choose.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-25-20, 10:18 AM
kuroba

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm still riding to work and for the occasional grocery run. I haven't got out on recreational rides because a niple broke on my front wheel and it took me ages to find a LBS to fix it (finally tracked down a guy working from his home, conveniently close to my workplace, to have it repaired today, yay).
Old 03-26-20, 08:33 AM
Sentionc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I donít ride, Iím already paranoid, I donít want to take risks. I think for me a warning about the dangers of health means a lot more than a ride
Old 03-26-20, 09:52 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 189 Posts
[QUOTE=livedarklions;21382958]
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

That whole "almost an antonym" thing is why "wreckless" is one of my favorite common misspellings.

Spell check doesn't catch it because "wreckless" and "reckless" are both legitimate words. People need to be more reckful about which one they choose.
Have a wreckless day!
Likes For curbtender:
Old 03-26-20, 10:42 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Sentionc View Post
No, I donít ride, Iím already paranoid, I donít want to take risks. I think for me a warning about the dangers of health means a lot more than a ride
My 2011 bike crash resulted in a little broken neck and right clavicle and some other stuff, things still bothering me, so went out at 10:32pm last night for a little night ride. Had a total of 12 vehicles pass by. Hoping for my 70th birthday in July with a 140 mile birthday ride but have cancer and there ain't gonna be riding after I'm dead so here's today's Ride stats >>>

Distance

111.13 mi
Distance

Calories

6,824 C
Calories

Timing

6:28:54
Time
6:26:07
Moving Time
7:31:53
Elapsed Time
17.1 mph
Avg Speed
17.3 mph
Avg Moving Speed
24.9 mph
Max Speed

Elevation

115 ft
Elev Gain
131 ft
Elev Loss
33 ft
Min Elev
82 ft
Max Elev
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 03-26-20, 10:54 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '18 Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 691 Times in 367 Posts
[QUOTE=livedarklions;21382958]

I wreckon so!

Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 03-26-20, 11:19 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

[QUOTE=curbtender;21384546]
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Have a wreckless day!

Reckless is one of those great words where the adjective survives after the root word has gone extinct.

"Once seemingly invincible, the word 'reck' has been thoroughly vinced."
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-26-20, 12:25 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
here's today's Ride stats >>>

Distance

111.13 mi
My hat's off to you, OTG. Keep riding while you can.
Old 03-26-20, 12:31 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 41 Posts
I am riding every day, since I'm not working from home. I usually don't start my riding season this early, still chilly in Mass., so I consider these rides as bonus miles in building the base. I see other riders and far more walking folk than usual.
Old 03-26-20, 02:36 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 32 Posts
CHICAGO (CBS) — Visibly frustrated with reports of gatherings throughout Chicago, Mayor Lori Lightfoot delivered a stern warning to those who continue to get together during the COVID-19 pandemic: We will shut it down and you may be arrested.

“Stay at home. Only go out for essentials. You have to readjust your thinking. Be smart,” Lightfoot said. “Not only will our police be deployed to shut them down if you are not abiding by these orders we will be forced to shut down the parks and lakefront. The situation Is deadly serious and we need you take it deadly seriously.”

Lightfoot added that spending long periods of time outdoors, anywhere, is not allowed. And neither is going into closed spaces, like playgrounds.

You cannot go on long bike rides. Playgrounds are shut down. You must abide by the order. Outside, is for a brief respite, not for 5Ks. I can’t emphasize enough that we abide the rules.”
Old 03-26-20, 06:36 PM
Maelochs

Put panniers on your bike or wear a knapsack. Say you are going shopping. Unless the cops track you, they cannot know how far you are going.

The constitutionality of the rule is questionable anyway .... does the law define "long"? Lots of posters here call 25 miles a short ride. How far can you legally ride? And what basis is there for prohibiting long rides, walks, or runs? You don't get more exposed or expose more people just because you are outside for longer.

The ACLU needs a test case. Step up, and ride on!
Old 03-26-20, 06:57 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 85 Posts
Put panniers on your bike or wear a knapsack. Say you are going shopping. Unless the cops track you, they cannot know how far you are going.

The constitutionality of the rule is questionable anyway .... does the law define "long"? Lots of posters here call 25 miles a short ride. How far can you legally ride? And what basis is there for prohibiting long rides, walks, or runs? You don't get more exposed or expose more people just because you are outside for longer.

The ACLU needs a test case. Step up, and ride on!
For once Iím glad I left Chicago! In Michigan there seems to be no impediment to me restarting my long distance life. Been doing four mile walks with Mrs Road Fan about three times a week, getting ready to get out on two wheels!
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 03-27-20, 04:53 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Originally Posted by grizzly59 View Post
CHICAGO (CBS) — Visibly frustrated with reports of gatherings throughout Chicago, Mayor Lori Lightfoot delivered a stern warning to those who continue to get together during the COVID-19 pandemic: We will shut it down and you may be arrested.

“Stay at home. Only go out for essentials. You have to readjust your thinking. Be smart,” Lightfoot said. “Not only will our police be deployed to shut them down if you are not abiding by these orders we will be forced to shut down the parks and lakefront. The situation Is deadly serious and we need you take it deadly seriously.”

Lightfoot added that spending long periods of time outdoors, anywhere, is not allowed. And neither is going into closed spaces, like playgrounds.

You cannot go on long bike rides. Playgrounds are shut down. You must abide by the order. Outside, is for a brief respite, not for 5Ks. I can’t emphasize enough that we abide the rules.”

I think the probability issue is quite different in Chicago than where I ride. Also Maelochs got it right, 25 miles is my after work short ride. No idea how long the mayor meant.
Old 03-27-20, 05:13 AM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I think the probability issue is quite different in Chicago than where I ride. Also Maelochs got it right, 25 miles is my after work short ride. No idea how long the mayor meant.
Chicago has shut down the lakefront.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/coron...ed~curatedpage
Old 03-27-20, 06:22 AM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post
Chicago has shut down the lakefront.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/coron...ed~curatedpage
Bummer! I'm originally from the Chicago area, but I've been fortunate enough to be living in a rural area a few hours north of Chicago, and other than being a bit chilly, the riding has been incredible! On a normal day I typically see about a dozen cars on the roads I ride, but lately it's been about two or three. Pretty quiet! Hopefully Wisconsin won't tighten the restrictions on cycling, for IMO, this is the ultimate form of social distancing.
Old 03-27-20, 07:46 AM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
I only recently started riding again. I live near a large, rural park and started biking trails I've often hiked. The park has gotten busy lately, however. Besides the need for distancing, riding through curvy, wooded trails risks surprising those on foot and their dogs, especially if they can't hear me over their earbuds/headphones. So if the parking lot has a lot of vehicles--which is anytime after early morning lately--I'll head to a rail trail a bit further away. I feel silly riding a mountain bike on a paved rail trail, but I can keep much more distance there.

I did attempt a mountain bike trail a few days ago. I got through much of it, although it was far muddier than expected, but I'm not nearly confident enough yet to attempt a narrow, banked, curving boardwalk over a nasty-looking drop--especially as hospitals are overwhelmed--so I chickened out. Maybe I should have gotten a commuter or gravel bike instead.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.