Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Michelin 650x35a World Tour tires

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-20, 03:15 PM
brianhamp

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 81 Posts

Last week I picked up an old bike that had Michelin World Tour's 650x35a on it. I really liked the tread on them so I checked to see if they were still available and I found some around.
My question is... Has anyone used these tires and what are your thoughts on them? Worth getting them. They look very nice on the older Raleigh's...
Old 03-26-20, 03:27 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Although World Tour is a very inexpensive, heavy and very low-performing tire, other than that they're great!

There used to be a folding version (Hi-Lite Tour) having the same tread pattern and with a finer, "woven", belted casing. I raced CX on those since they were a very wide 27" tire that fit my 27" Mod4 rims.

The modern ones with wire beads have a coarse casing thread count and with extra rubber on the sidewalls, so they feel very different, slower.

Last edited by dddd; 03-26-20 at 03:31 PM.
Likes For dddd:
Old 03-26-20, 03:44 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
And they flatted pretty easy as well.
Old 03-27-20, 07:37 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by brianhamp
Did you get alot of flat tires with these? I ride paved path ways and paved streets 99% of the time so I hope I dont get alot of flat tires...
i was commuting to work and back on some pretty suspect alleys and streets in the poor end of town so there is that. I think I'd have had better luck on better roads.
Likes For 52telecaster: