Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ordering wheel replacement (bent wheel)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-20, 10:13 AM
clarkems

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently had someone try to steal my bike and the rear wheel was bent badly. I suspect there is little to be done for lateral truing in this case. I have been looking at online ordering of a replacement wheel and tires and am bewildered by the different options and sizes. I could use some help determining the spec for a wheel and probably tire replacement.

I bought a bike from Canadian Tire (yeah, I know) but it seems like a decent enough bike to repair or perhaps upgrade. It is a Schwin Merano 700c.

So here are the specs of the existing bike. The tires say 28 x 1 5/8 x 1 3/8, which seems to be an odd Canadian size, probably a Canadian Tire spec. The brakes are side pull calipers.

I see a lot of options when shopping for the French size 700 x 35c, which seems close, and the online spec says that is what usually comes with this bike. I am leaning towards an aluminum or alloy wheel but what I see online are a lot of disc brake options with a new tire style. I suspect it would be difficult to fit a new 700 x 35 wheel to the existing brakes, assuming I can find one that fits, but not sure if I need to upgrade to disc brakes and what that entails.

The other consideration is the fit for the gears on the rear axle. I am not sure about the terminology but I have fairly decent gears on the bike now, Shimano 24. I am not sure if there is a spec for the rear axle that I need to match.

Any advise for ordering a new wheel?

They also damaged the handle bar and I need to replace that too, but I think I've got that.

Last edited by clarkems; 04-01-20 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-01-20, 10:59 AM
onsay99

Bikes: 3 road steelys, 3 alu, 1 mtb, 1cx

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
1. If you give a call to Canadian Tire customer service with your bikes serial number, they may be able to give you the rear wheel spec.

2. There may be a data tag on the bike frame with a toll free number. Often times, calling that number and giving the bike serial number
can get you an answer, and sometimes they will ship you a replacement wheel to spec.
Old 04-01-20, 11:43 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
You need a 622mm rim. AKA 700c, 29'r.
8 cogs in back? Likely a cassette, but make sure it's not a Free Wheel. The hubs are different.
The only reference I can find indicates 7 speed though??
Spacing "should" be 135mm.

IF the metal isn't kinked/stretched, possibly a simple retruing/tensioning will make the wheel "whole".
I've had a rear wheel go horribly out of true by just dropping the back of the bike 3'. It was simply a poor wheel build and it was on a bike that cost 3X what yours did.
I was able to save it with no problem.
Freewheel or Cassette?
Old 04-01-20, 12:03 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
If you can, see what a local bike shop recommends if they are still able to be open. Some offer mobile service and that may be okay in places that have been required to close shops. You still will have to remove the cassette on existing wheel and put on the new wheel. That requires a tools you probably don't have.

Bike shops around me don't charge a lot to get new wheels and put them on. So it might be worth it not to have to buy a tool or two you may never use again.
Old 04-01-20, 12:28 PM
clarkems

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I have contacted Schwin. When I research this more I find that it has an aluminum frame and alloy wheels, which is more than expected. I will update when they respond. They say that their staff is working from home and the response may be slower than normal.
Old 04-01-20, 12:34 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Look at the tire again. Probably has a number on it like 35-622 or 37-622

It's a 700c size by roughly 37.

Bike tire size - Tabel of tires sizes for bicycle wheels

More importantly how many gears in the back and is it a freewheel or cassette.

You also need to know the OLD.
https://www.moruyabicycles.com.au/co...68_O.L.D..html

Then things like quick release or solid axle, how many spokes, what level of quality for the hub. All questions that need to be asked before buying a wheel.

Last edited by dedhed; 04-01-20 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-01-20, 12:37 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

See if the HUB has a brand & model such as-
Shimano FH-RM30.
Actually count the cogs to see if they are 7 or 8 of them. (r other?)
That info may be very helpful.
Old 04-01-20, 01:51 PM
clarkems

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, this is very educational. Just for info, it is a Shimano with 8 rows of cogs. From what I heard in the video it is a cassette.

The tire also has 37-622 on it, and the wheel has 34 spokes. The name of the hub is Joy Tech and seems to be a cassette. I googled that, and it seems to be common with Raleigh and Norco bikes.

Last edited by clarkems; 04-01-20 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-01-20, 02:08 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Master-...reation&sr=1-7

You still didn't say how your rim was damaged. As I mentioned, a simple truing/tensioning may give you a better wheel than a cheap one off the internet.
It'll just be another "machine built" wheel with uneven spoke tension.
Old 04-01-20, 02:57 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
You still didn't say how your rim was damaged.n.
Theft attempt. That generally doesn't bode well for a simple truing. Usually means they didn't get the bike so they kick it in.
Old 04-01-20, 03:08 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by dedhed
Theft attempt. That generally doesn't bode well for a simple truing. Usually means they didn't get the bike so they kick it in.
Have you seen the wheel? Your guess doesn't mean much.
It could have been extra terrestrials, but that doesn't describe the TYPE of damage.
Old 04-01-20, 03:13 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Originally Posted by clarkems
Thanks, this is very educational. Just for info, it is a Shimano with 8 rows of cogs. From what I heard in the video it is a cassette.

The tire also has 37-622 on it, and the wheel has 34 spokes. The name of the hub is Joy Tech and seems to be a cassette. I googled that, and it seems to be common with Raleigh and Norco bikes.

Still need to know the OLD as it could be a 130mm or 135mm.

At this point you need a 700C, 8-9-10 speed shimano/SRAM compatible cassette hub, 34 or 36 hole, likely quick release, non-tubeless, rim brake??, rear wheel.
Either 130mm or 135mm OLD which you need to find out, as well as rim/disc brake.
Don't get hung up on spoke count. At this point you're likely going to be fine with 28-36 hole and let price decide which.
Also need a cassette lock ring tool to move the cassette over or pay someone to do it.

My guesses from the type of bike is it's 135mm OLD and rim brakes.
Old 04-01-20, 03:20 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Have you seen the wheel? Your guess doesn't mean much.
It could have been extra terrestrials, but that doesn't describe the TYPE of damage.
You're absolutely right!
But from the OP, my experience with bike thieves and low end hybrid wheels, I made an educated guess."I recently had someone try to steal my bike and the rear wheel was bent badly. I suspect there is little to be done for lateral truing in this case"
Old 04-01-20, 03:52 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by dedhed
You're absolutely right!
But from the OP, my experience with bike thieves and low end hybrid wheels, I made an educated guess."I recently had someone try to steal my bike and the rear wheel was bent badly. I suspect there is little to be done for lateral truing in this case"
I've personally put an extensive wobble in a rear wheel when I did a nose stand on my new to me then, Globe. I put the rear wheel "high" in the air and kind of stepped off to the left.
I'm was then holding 1/2 of a large hinge and the r wheel came slamming down with the bike leaned over about 1/2 way. Bad enough I had to release the brake to make it home.
It was simply a matter of a poorly tensioned, machine built wheel on an entry level hybrid. That incident was the trigger to buying my tension meter.

BTW. OP's wheel does not have 34 spokes. 32 or 36 most likely.
Old 04-09-20, 09:54 AM
coatseast

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
replacement wheel for K2 Alturas 3.0 Hybrid Bike

My 19 yr old son borrowed his mom's bike and completely jacked up the rear wheel... bent to the heavens with 6-8 broken spokes. Derailleur bent as well. It has pretty cheap Alex wheels, I think they are i19. The bike has rim brakes. It was an entry level bike and is in very good shape but clearly I don't want to pump too much $ into this bike. I may buy front and rear so I can fit wider rims and tires. It has 32C tires now... would love to go 38C or even more. I just bought a nice gravel bike with 47C tires and LOVE them.

K2 Alturas 3.0 purchased from REI (2006 model - time flies!)

Question 1: It has this SRAM PG-830 cassette. Does that mean I order a freewheel hub? What tool do I need to buy to change this (have alot of bikes and tools... no prob buying a new tool).

Question 2: Looking for suggestions on where to order a wheel set.

One option I like is ordering a complete set of front and rear wheels with tires from BikesDirect. They have 700C wheels (but of course, don't tell you the width or the tires - hate their website). This would allow me to get wider wheels front and rear.
Who else can I order a wheelset from? The BD price for both wheels with tubes and tires is 109... free shipping. Sounds good to me if they aren't complete s**t wheels

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by coatseast; 04-09-20 at 10:03 AM. Reason: added detail