Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Keep getting flat tire

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Keep getting flat tire

Old 04-03-20, 03:15 PM
  #1  
boggy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
boggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 132

Bikes: 2007 Novara Aspen, 2011 Fuji SST 2.0, 2018 Electra Townie Commute GO! 8i

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Keep getting flat tire

Well, its one of those things that you learn to deal with, but for some reason my tube gets hole on the underside, where it faces the rim, and it happened for the third time in a month... Each time I checked the rim and the tape that covers the spokes - it looks totally fine. Also, I find holes on the underside, but different location each time (relative to the nipple). What could this be? I am using the correctly sized tubes, the tube is 700 35/43, and my tires are 700x38. Maybe I should use different brand tubes?
boggy is offline  
Old 04-03-20, 03:21 PM
  #2  
Unca_Sam
The dropped
 
Unca_Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,135

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 238 Posts
If you have holes on the rim side, it's likely your rim tape is failing, regardless of how it looks when you remove the tire. Is your rim a double wall rim?
Are you using a cloth tape, rubber strip, or something else for your rim strip?
Unca_Sam is offline  
Old 04-03-20, 03:28 PM
  #3  
boggy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
boggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 132

Bikes: 2007 Novara Aspen, 2011 Fuji SST 2.0, 2018 Electra Townie Commute GO! 8i

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam View Post
If you have holes on the rim side, it's likely your rim tape is failing, regardless of how it looks when you remove the tire. Is your rim a double wall rim?
Are you using a cloth tape, rubber strip, or something else for your rim strip?
I am pretty sure its double wall rim, the tape is factory one, looks like some rubberized cloth.
boggy is offline  
Old 04-03-20, 03:30 PM
  #4  
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Posts: 29,779

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1396 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 167 Posts
I agree it's probably a rim strip issue.

Are you by chance using those stretchy plastic strips? If so, examine the location of that strip very carefully. If the slightest little arc of a spoke hole in the rim is exposed, your tire air pressure will push your inner tube into that arc and cause it to get cut on the spoke hole edge.
__________________
My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.
Retro Grouch is offline  
Likes For Retro Grouch:
Old 04-03-20, 03:44 PM
  #5  
bikeaddiction1
Senior Member
 
bikeaddiction1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Calgary Alberta
Posts: 231

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Are the holes in the center where the spoke nipples are, or our at the rim edge? If they are at the edge of the rim it could be a pinch flat, but typically it will happen at both edges and look like a snake bite (two holes). If this is the case you may be running your tire pressure too low.
If they are at the centre then disregard what I have said.
bikeaddiction1 is offline  
Old 04-03-20, 06:37 PM
  #6  
50PlusCycling
Senior Member
 
50PlusCycling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Replace the rim strip or tape. I you have nothing else handy, black electrical tape works in a pinch, but apply it over the top of your existing rim strip or tape.
50PlusCycling is offline  
Old 04-03-20, 09:13 PM
  #7  
ramzilla
Senior Member
 
ramzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Fernandina Beach FL
Posts: 3,058

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 117 Posts
https://www.schwalbetires.com/access...m_tape_singles
ramzilla is offline  
Old 04-04-20, 06:21 AM
  #8  
bobwysiwyg
Senior Member
 
bobwysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: 961' 42.28° N, 83.78° W (A2)
Posts: 2,252

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by boggy View Post
Well, its one of those things that you learn to deal with, but for some reason my tube gets hole on the underside, where it faces the rim, and it happened for the third time in a month... Each time I checked the rim and the tape that covers the spokes - it looks totally fine. Also, I find holes on the underside, but different location each time (relative to the nipple). What could this be? I am using the correctly sized tubes, the tube is 700 35/43, and my tires are 700x38. Maybe I should use different brand tubes?
Was the hole visible?
Could it be just a bad tube? My niece called yesterday, wanted to go for bike ride on her new (bought last fall) bike. She had noticed a tire flat several weeks ago, took it in to the place where she bought it. They said it was fine aired it up and she took it home. A few weeks later now, tire flat again.
She brought the bike over, took off the wheel, put about 70# in it, submerged it and found tiny bubbles emerging from beneath the rim at one place. Marked that, took the tire off and inspected the tube there. Nothing at all visible. Tried submerging the tube but couldn't inflate it enough to cause the suspect area to stretch, what I think is defective material, to recreate the leak.
Out tire sizes are the same, but mine use Presta valves her's are Schrader. They had given her a small tire repair kit at purchase, that contained a spare tube. Installed that and she was on her way. I'm a little skeptical since I couldn't replicate the problem. So, since her backup tube is the same brand (Kenda) can't be sure her problem is solved.

Last edited by bobwysiwyg; 04-04-20 at 07:04 AM.
bobwysiwyg is offline  
Old 04-04-20, 08:53 AM
  #9  
VegasTriker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sin City, Nevada
Posts: 2,260

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
I never came across a tube I couldn't inflate enough to find a hole if there is one. You can inflate it to much larger than the deflated tube without damaging it. Have you checked for a slow leak at the valve If it is deflating over a couple of weeks, the hole may be very small or the valve could be leaking a bit.

As to the OP. Do you mean the holes in the tube are at different places relative to the valve opening in the rim? If that is the case it is more of a mystery. If the cause was a bad point in the rim liner the hole should always be at one point on the tube equidistant from the valve. In a pinch you can cover the existing liner with narrow electrical tape. I've done that for years and it works fine.
Have you run your hand around the inside of the rim looking for burrs? It's easy to file down them if you find one. That could be your source of the holes but it still would be located around the same distance from the valve on all of the tubes.
VegasTriker is offline  
Old 04-04-20, 11:34 AM
  #10  
Unca_Sam
The dropped
 
Unca_Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,135

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker View Post
I never came across a tube I couldn't inflate enough to find a hole if there is one. You can inflate it to much larger than the deflated tube without damaging it. Have you checked for a slow leak at the valve If it is deflating over a couple of weeks, the hole may be very small or the valve could be leaking a bit.

As to the OP. Do you mean the holes in the tube are at different places relative to the valve opening in the rim? If that is the case it is more of a mystery. If the cause was a bad point in the rim liner the hole should always be at one point on the tube equidistant from the valve. In a pinch you can cover the existing liner with narrow electrical tape. I've done that for years and it works fine.
Have you run your hand around the inside of the rim looking for burrs? It's easy to file down them if you find one. That could be your source of the holes but it still would be located around the same distance from the valve on all of the tubes.
Butyl rim strips or strips that aren't tight enough to prevent movement or sliding on the rim can be pushed out of position by unmounting and remounting the tire to patch the leak. I ended up with two flats on a tour once. One from a glass shard, and one miles later from an exposed spoke hole. If the strip needs to be replaced, it's possible to expose new spoke holes to cut the tube.
Unca_Sam is offline  
Old 04-04-20, 03:10 PM
  #11  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 12,069

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5775 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 277 Posts
When i have a tube that won't hold enough air to let me search for the hole (or holes, usually) I either fold, clamp, or tie the tube into segments. That way i can localize the hole---and often, I can work my way around the tube, folding over a section and inflating the rest, then folding over the next section, until I have narrowed down the hole's location pretty well. Then I fold that section, clamp it (with anything---two small pieces of wood and a vice grip?) and get the rest of the tube really puffed up. So far, every time, I have been able to slowly open up the clamped part and find the holes----and by every time, I mean, 'in more than fifty years of doing this" so I at least, have faith in the method.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 04-07-20, 12:44 AM
  #12  
boggy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
boggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 132

Bikes: 2007 Novara Aspen, 2011 Fuji SST 2.0, 2018 Electra Townie Commute GO! 8i

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I figured it must be bad/cheap rim tape, so I ordered beefy Velox cotton rim tape. I just got it. Do I tape it over the flimsy rubber rim tape that is already there, or take it off first? I never put my own rim tape in place, any tips?
boggy is offline  
Old 04-07-20, 06:16 AM
  #13  
Unca_Sam
The dropped
 
Unca_Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,135

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by boggy View Post
I figured it must be bad/cheap rim tape, so I ordered beefy Velox cotton rim tape. I just got it. Do I tape it over the flimsy rubber rim tape that is already there, or take it off first? I never put my own rim tape in place, any tips?
Remove the old rim strip, clean the rim bed, and line up the valve stem holes. I overlap the tape ends a little, maybe 3cm.
Unca_Sam is offline  
Old 04-07-20, 07:16 AM
  #14  
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Posts: 11,415

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 135 Posts
Narrow tape for wide rims, wide tape for narrow rims. This sounds bass-ackwards but it's because wide rims have a center trough that's narrower than narrow rims. The concern is to completely cover all the spoke holes, not the entire rim bed. You only want one layer of rim strip; just make sure it's an effective layer! You might also want to examine the rim for a rough spot somewhere else on the inside, not just at a hole.

It's not valid to submerge the wheel - tire, rim, and all - and determine where the hole is. Air will leak out of any random spoke hole. And if the hole so big it's preventing you from inflating the tube, then its location should be obvious. Pump while someone else visually examines the tube more closely.
BlazingPedals is offline  
Old 04-07-20, 01:31 PM
  #15  
boggy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
boggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 132

Bikes: 2007 Novara Aspen, 2011 Fuji SST 2.0, 2018 Electra Townie Commute GO! 8i

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Thank you guys, I have replaced the rim tape. The thick cotton 22mm Velox tape nicely filled the rim wall to wall. The thin and narrow flimsy plastic band that was there before was a total joke in comparison. Hopefully this will put a stop to tube failures on the side facing the rim.

Last edited by boggy; 04-07-20 at 01:45 PM.
boggy is offline  
Old 04-07-20, 04:13 PM
  #16  
Unca_Sam
The dropped
 
Unca_Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,135

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by boggy View Post
Thank you guys, I have replaced the rim tape. The thick cotton 22mm Velox tape nicely filled the rim wall to wall. The thin and narrow flimsy plastic band that was there before was a total joke in comparison. Hopefully this will put a stop to tube failures on the side facing the rim.
If you have trouble mounting the tire, the thicker tape can sometimes be to blame. For me, I'll use the thinner strip wall to wall, and the thicker tape just to cover the spoke holes/ heads of the nipples (for vintage single wall rims).

Happy trails!
Unca_Sam is offline  
Old 04-07-20, 06:04 PM
  #17  
boggy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
boggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 132

Bikes: 2007 Novara Aspen, 2011 Fuji SST 2.0, 2018 Electra Townie Commute GO! 8i

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam View Post
If you have trouble mounting the tire, the thicker tape can sometimes be to blame. For me, I'll use the thinner strip wall to wall, and the thicker tape just to cover the spoke holes/ heads of the nipples (for vintage single wall rims).

Happy trails!
Yes, the tire did have a pretty snug fit, I noticed. The tape was thick and taking the entire width of the rim. But it looked like a very reliable set up, so I am going to stick to this arrangement.
boggy is offline  
Old 04-08-20, 10:36 AM
  #18  
Cyclehog93
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Change to tubeless

I finally switched to tubeless and haven’t had a flat since.
Cyclehog93 is offline  
Old 04-10-20, 03:44 PM
  #19  
rowerek
Junior Member
 
rowerek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Palm Beach County
Posts: 22

Bikes: 1985 Centurion Elite RS, 1989 Fuji Ace, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
most likely rim strip issue
rowerek is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.