Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Nature Boy Build/Compatibility Questions

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-20, 12:39 AM
somepetalhead

Bikes: CROSS CHECK SZ 52 / MEDICI GT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts

Ok so I am coming from another All-City build (The dropout) mainly for the tire clearance and just being a straight tank!

I'm a newbie but I'm no rookie to biking I've just don't know the technical ish and you guys seem to be ruthless and spot on with all the advice so come with it.

The Bike is in Miami so its flat and full of ****ty side roads and curbs and train tracks etc.
I don't mash out or care too but i also I don't have a problem going 20-40 miles a day usually about 31.
I don't do drop bars or bullhorns anymore I prefer risers with 3-4 inches of rise (if you have some options lmk).
I'm chillin' when i ride, paying attention to traffic (F riding down Biscayne or Collins if you know Mia) I prefer a relaxed scenic ride or some off road dip/sneak routes...

Now all that being said I found the Nature Boy a good fit for me although I hate the color might strip it by hand during the quarantine, its a fine bike amazing ride for Miami thus far.
I have pulled all my extra pieces and stripped my old dropout. I've had some trouble mmmm calibrating or basically getting **** to fit.
Im running a 44/16 SRAM force crank and the all city cross check ring with the chain guard on it and a unknown GXP Bottom bracket (anyway to tell which gxp bracket it is?)
I'd gladly take my bike to the local shop or down in Brikell where they have a All City titty... but i dont drink corona! But seriously though its a testy time for everybody so i appreciate the shop talk if you stiff seat wax in your stash having scalawags will entertain.

im trying to turn my own wrenches and get educated with this new baby putting everything one has educated me a wee bit thus far.

I like how the strong light bosch is smooth and plain and for 44t. and my chain ring is 44t wlil it fit straight up or am i going to need to do something to get it to fit?
also are there specific SRAM crank dust caps? I have some on my sugino's and it completes the crank set just how i like it... would like to do the same with the SRAM. not sure if there are special diameters etc.
Also i have no idea what size of chain im running but my rear cog didn't fit the chain had to pull 3 tires off to find one that did. I've heard measure it but no tape measure any marking or code stamped somewhere?

rocking the Velocity A23s love the 650b compared to my deep v's which seem to be 2x as heavy (could be the sturmey archer coaster break.)
Have some Paul Hhubs 32 spoke. do they make a non silver anchor for them... im trying to go all black on the components. and the sliver is a eye sore for me.

All City Ric Flair in purple.
I kept the drop out fork ****s rugged and gully.
Thomson seat post -I dont need another this one is just fine.
old Concor light saddle - woof this thing tans the hide a bit much I do not recommend it. Switching it up for a old Turbo or a slr flow saddle
Cinelli Pepper Bar- would like a 4" riser bar thats narrow.
Truitiv stem -Would like to have a Thomson x4 50mm 0 degree or thomson BMX that thing is brolic AF , but will i be able to mount on the all city stem?
SRAM force crank set- i like this almost as much as my shinny ass sugino's 75
All-City Cross Check Chainring 44t- this one is good unless there is a better option i dont know about.
crappy no brand 17t rear cog - ill change it for a sugino black one.
ACS crossfire chain (dont know what size or length) nothing wrong with it but want a solid black one... i remeber one that was like blue steel... but its actually black just cant remember the name. solid black chain is all
Velocity A23's with Paul Comp Hhubs 32 just wanna have the skewer bolts and casing to be black like the hubs.
Clement Tires. 35c - the clements are good but i had them on a old crappy cross check for a long while would like some new ones that are ideal for the road abut that i can skrrrrrrt off road no problem in as well... if they dont weigh a ton that's awesome too.
Concor light saddle - fugggg this saddle. swapping to a selle turbo.
crane bell- disappointing design but it does the job.
im riding fixed atm its not my favorite but it helps me test out the bike plan on stripping the bike and then throwing my paul rear brakes on.

im just looking to maximize my bike fun at a leisure pace. so if you can help me out great!

I also would like to know what bottom bracket would go well with the SRAM force ? thanks in advance.

ill add pics in tomorrow.
Old 03-29-20, 10:51 AM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
That’s a lot of text just to say that your chain is too short.

It seems like you already have a bb that works for your cranks (the gxp?), so there should be no issue there unless the back of the crank spider is hitting the frame. If it is, the only solution is a different crankset.

the way you describe how & where you prefer to ride I’d think some 80s-early-90s rigid mtb with a custom fixed/ss rear wheel and some Big Apple/Fat Frank tires would suit better than an sscx frameset limited to medium width 700c tires would.

bullmoose bars ftw.
Old 03-30-20, 12:44 PM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
SRAM just makes one GXP bottom bracket, I think. The crank doesn't need a dust cap since the spindle is hollow. Just the self-extracting bolt on the non-drive side.

For your stem, anything for a 1-1/8" steerer and the right clamp size for your handlebar (probably 31.8mm) will fit.

If you can't measure your chain, but some cogs don't fit, it's probably a 3/32" chain. Cogs and chainrings come in either 3/32" or 1/8". A 1/8" chain will fit both.
Old 04-04-20, 07:37 PM
somepetalhead

Bikes: CROSS CHECK SZ 52 / MEDICI GT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
its not the length of the chain its the size of width perhaps WETF it is. I got a few cogs and found one that fit the chain ill figure out the size here in a bit.
i dont really need huge tires nor do i want a mountain bike but thanks for the advice .
i know it doesn't need dust caps... I just prefer them. wasnt sure if sram has any or if there is a special size for the hollow holes.