Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment
Reload this Page >

Rate the last movie you watched

Notices
Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

Rate the last movie you watched

Old 03-17-20, 08:28 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: Norco CityGlide, Schwinn "Speedster" Willy

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 464 Posts
Just finished watching Green Book in a hotel on another work trip.

Maybe because I don't have to sit through ads or interruptions like I do at home, the movie may seem better than it would otherwise. Regardless, it's a good movie. 9 out of 10 stars.

Last edited by FiftySix; 03-17-20 at 08:35 PM. Reason: link fixin'
Old 03-19-20, 01:21 PM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: B-Twin Triban100 (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Defy, Verenti Technique, Cougar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts

'Crimson Peak' (2015) starring Mia Wasikowska, Jessica Chastain and Tom Hiddleston.

My daughter is a fan of director Guillermo del Toro and Tom Hiddleston so was keen to recommend this better than average Gothic horror flick. Mia Wasikowska plays Edith Cushing a young American girl and heiress who falls in love with Thomas Sharpe (Hiddleston) a mysterious Englishman. Following the death of her father she marries Thomas who takes her home to Allerdale Hall - the spookiest Gothic stately home you can possibly imagine except that this one is partially derelict and with ghosts literally coming out of the woodwork. Mia Wasikowska is excellent in this, as is Jessica Chastain as the sexy sister of Thomas Sharpe. Creepy from the word boo! 8/10.
Old 03-20-20, 12:39 PM
colorider
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 110 Posts
Saw Ford v Ferrari last night 9/10 excellent. Great cast and well done.
Likes For colorider:
Old 03-23-20, 12:53 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 58 Posts
I watched The Adventures of Tintin. It is a Speilberg 3D animated movie. It was okay. Too much video game type action sequences for me. 6/10
Old 03-25-20, 01:17 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2704 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate View Post
I watched The Adventures of Tintin. It is a Speilberg 3D animated movie. It was okay. Too much video game type action sequences for me. 6/10
I grew up with TinTin and I don't like computer animation and CGI in general, I thought it was strange he combined 3 books into one movie because most of the books are like a complete storyboard in it itself, and the shots are already in the book because Herge often used a cinematographic 'camera' angle. So it was to my surprise that I enjoyed the movie. But I agree it's a bit too dense, also on action.
Old 03-30-20, 05:55 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: B-Twin Triban100 (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Defy, Verenti Technique, Cougar

'The Postman' (1997) starring Kevin Costner, Olivia Williams, Larenz Tate and Will Patton.

Two years after 'Waterworld' another Kevin Costner project was released and also gained a similar 'Marmite' status (the IMDB reviews are either 10's or 1's). Like 'Waterworld' it's also a post-apocalyptic tale but instead of water we're in the dry and dusty wild west where a nameless drifter (Costner) crosses the path of General Bethlehem (Patton) a brutal, tyrannical warlord but escapes and adopts the identity of a US postman after finding a dead postie and his mailbag full of letters. Seeking food and temporary shelter he uses this identity to bluff his way into a remote town and quickly wins over the locals with his tales of a new US Government in the east. He then becomes a symbol of hope to the townspeople and just before he moves on he recruits a young and idealistic dreamer (Tate) who creates a new postal service mainly using teenagers on horseback who establish communications with other settlements, spreading hope across the west. However, General Bethleham has other ideas and targets the young posties and 'The Postman' himself. At just under three hours long this is a very long film and really needed pruning. But, after recording it on TCM a few weeks ago, I watched it in to two chunks and really quite enjoyed it. 7/10.
Likes For Welshboy:
Old 03-30-20, 06:31 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1910 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 206 Posts
I was so excited to see "The Postman" come out because I'd loved the book by David Brin (I think) when I was in high school. As with many movies based on books (especially those based on books I loved and had read multiple times before seeing the movie), I found it rather disappointing (on the other hand, the Daniel Day-Lewis Last of the Mohicans is way better than the book IMHO). I wouldn't have given "The Postman" a 1, but there was no way it could live up to the version that played in my head while I read the book. I could see liking it better without the baggage of having read the superior book. Surprised you didn't give Tom Petty "starring" credit.
Old 03-30-20, 07:25 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Originally Posted by himespau View Post
Surprised you didn't give Tom Petty "starring" credit.
Oh. I knew exactly what I was doing there!
Likes For Welshboy:
Old 03-30-20, 08:47 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 3479 Post(s)
Liked 944 Times in 629 Posts
Yeah, The Postman and Waterworld are movies I kinda like but tend to nitpick over some weaknesses. Partly because Will Patton wasn't a convincing warlord. He's more of a shrewd, backstabbing behind-the-throne sorta character, a bit too high strung to be a leader who inspires loyalty. He was in his element in roles in No Way Out and Mothman Prophecies.

Costner is fine in roles playing sorta-heroes/anti-heroes who aren't entirely admirable or likable. He's generally worse in roles where he takes himself too seriously, although the his portrayal of Eliot Ness as excessively earnest worked for The Untouchables. Not accurate, but hilarious when Ness says "C'mon, men, let's do some good!"
Old 03-30-20, 09:32 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 83 Posts
Bombshell. 7.5/10

I thought the three main actors - Kidman, Theron, and Robbie - did great. The person who really stole the show for me was John Lithgow as Roger Ailes. The movie did, what I think anyway, a good job of portraying the sexism in the new industry and specifically at Fox News. I do recommend the movie.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 03-31-20, 10:26 AM
colorider
smorenivore

JoJo Rabbit 9/10 Thought it was great. Story, cast, cinematography, all of it.

Wall Street - 7/10 I had never seen it before and although it's a bit dated I still felt it was just okay. I'm surprised Michael Douglas won an Oscar over Robin Williams (Good Morning Vietnam) and William Hurt (Broadcast News) for the role. While he was good I didn't think he was as good as the other two.
Likes For colorider:
Old 03-31-20, 12:28 PM
bikecrate

I watched Pee Wee Herman's Big Holiday on Netflix. It is pretty much what you would expect from Pee Wee Herman. I'm going to be kind and say 7/10.
Old 04-02-20, 09:20 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 97 Posts
I saw Spenser Confidential as well recently

-- like others have said - not high cinema. but for me it was fun as I am a fan of Robert PArkers books -- MArky Mark physically seems too small to play Spenser , and the Hawk character is not on point compared to the books either, ---- but I had to switch those comparisons off and just enjoy a decent movie

but that was a complaint about fans of the JAck Reacher book series -- they said Tom Cruise just physically didn't fit the part as Reacher was supposed to be a big guy in the books ----- but those movies worked nonetheless
Old 04-03-20, 08:23 AM
bikecrate

I watched Annihilation last night. Not bad. 7/10.
Old 04-03-20, 02:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

You Can't Kill Stephen King -- 6/10
Harmless, goofy, with a few really good bits. Pretty good acting and production values for a low budget starter film project. Stephen King themed sorta spoof of the teen slasher drama. Not as clever as the Scary Movie franchise, but a bit of fun for King fans. Not a bad background/party movie.
Old 04-05-20, 01:57 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by Welshboy View Post

'The Postman' (1997) starring Kevin Costner, Olivia Williams, Larenz Tate and Will Patton.

Two years after 'Waterworld' another Kevin Costner project was released and also gained a similar 'Marmite' status (the IMDB reviews are either 10's or 1's). Like 'Waterworld' it's also a post-apocalyptic tale but instead of water we're in the dry and dusty wild west where a nameless drifter (Costner) crosses the path of General Bethlehem (Patton) a brutal, tyrannical warlord but escapes and adopts the identity of a US postman after finding a dead postie and his mailbag full of letters. Seeking food and temporary shelter he uses this identity to bluff his way into a remote town and quickly wins over the locals with his tales of a new US Government in the east. He then becomes a symbol of hope to the townspeople and just before he moves on he recruits a young and idealistic dreamer (Tate) who creates a new postal service mainly using teenagers on horseback who establish communications with other settlements, spreading hope across the west. However, General Bethleham has other ideas and targets the young posties and 'The Postman' himself. At just under three hours long this is a very long film and really needed pruning. But, after recording it on TCM a few weeks ago, I watched it in to two chunks and really quite enjoyed it. 7/10.
Hard to go wrong with Tom Petty and Ford Lincoln Mercury.

Last edited by FiftySix; 04-08-20 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-05-20, 02:09 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

I watched Haywire last night. The lead of the movie is a former MMA fighter, which explains why the movie has plenty of fight-to-the-death scenes. Call her Jasmine Bourne, or the 21st century Chuck Norris. It's well filmed, has a big name supporting cast, and has a decent score, but the story is hidden way too much from the viewer until the last 10 minutes. Which makes the movie essentially have no plot.

It could've been a great movie, instead it's just okay. 5.5 out of 10 stars.

Last edited by FiftySix; 04-08-20 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-06-20, 04:38 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2704 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Costner is fine in roles playing sorta-heroes/anti-heroes who aren't entirely admirable or likable. He's generally worse in roles where he takes himself too seriously, although the his portrayal of Eliot Ness as excessively earnest worked for The Untouchables. Not accurate, but hilarious when Ness says "C'mon, men, let's do some good!"
It's a bit the same with Demi Moore. I believe she's very credible in movies like Margin Call and Disclosure, but if she plays someone that's nice or otherwise remotely likeable it doesn't work for me. Costner works as a character that is usually a bit too boring for the main part, but in movies like JFK or The Untouchables there is such a part.
Old 04-06-20, 09:28 AM
colorider
smorenivore

Got on a bit of an 80's music kick Saturday that started with watching several Live Aid performances and ended with watching Stop Making Sense.
Old 04-07-20, 09:26 AM
VinceXE

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I finished the Lighthouse yesterday. I really liked the scenery and cinematography, though it was one of those movies with an ending thats meant to be pondered upon. 8/10
Old 04-08-20, 04:20 AM
classic1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Wow. This thread is still going. Without doubt this is my greatest contribution to humanity.
Likes For classic1:
Old 04-08-20, 08:19 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

'The Hunt' (2012) starring Mads Mikkelsen, Thomas Bo Larsen and Annika Wedderkopp.

Second time I've seen this one and it's just as compelling as the first viewing - in fact, I'm going one mark higher with my score. Mads Mikkelsen plays Lucas, a small-town kindergarten teacher who is going through a divorce and a custody dispute over his teenage son. Lucas is popular with the children but one confused little girl, Klara, lets her imagination run away with her and then feels rejected when Lucas explains to her that her quite innocent actions are inappropriate. Klara then concocts a lie about Lucas and, thanks to an overly cautious/suspicious headmistress, Lucas then gets suspended and the rumours soon make him an outcast in the village. An unflinching movie where you really do care for the characters. 9/10.
Old 04-08-20, 11:32 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Last night I watched the uncensored version of Airplane for the first time in many, many years.

Best drama of 1980, in my opinion. 10 out of 10 stars.

Of course, to get that rating you have to be up to speed on the pop culture references from back then and a few beers in the belly help, too.

Old 04-12-20, 04:11 AM
Clyde1820

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 87 Posts
The 1997 docudrama The Arrow.

Every once in a while, I go back to watch this film again. It's about the A.V. Roe (AVRO) development of the Arrow supersonic interceptor, back in the 1950s ... and the axing of it by "the powers that be." A little "sappy" here and there, but fairly well done. Interesting, the behind-the-scenes politics and strong-arming that went on as the Cold War was heating up and the military-industrial complex was flexing its muscles over business deals and political direction. Worth seeing.

Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 04-13-20, 12:48 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Cool Hand Luke -- 10/10, among the few perfect movies. And appropriate for Easter weekend.

Suspicion (1941) -- 7/10. It's so well done I hate to like it and like to hate it. Over the years of watching this movie, and watching it more carefully this weekend, it finally occurred to me it should have been named "Gaslight." The foreshadowing is so heavy handed you finally realize the director was gaslighting the audience in two ways: first, duping us into agreeing with Lina that perhaps Johnnie really is capable of murder to get what he wants; and then gaslighting us into forgiving him and thinking, ah, ol' foolish Beaky was right, Johnnie's not such a bad chap after all. Except he's still bipolar, a liar and degenerate gambler and he and Lina have zero future together. In some respects it's an example of an even more destructive relationship than Gaslight was.
Likes For canklecat:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.