Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

12 Monkeys "prequel" rolling out?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 04-07-20, 04:28 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Trek 1120, Santa Cruz Tallboy 3CC, Fandango DC-9 MTB tandem, Jamis Renegade Expert, Bike Friday Pocket Llama, Santana Arriva tandem, Bridgestone RB-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts

It was a random thought that appeared in my head from nowhere: The virus that precipitated the civilization ending story of the Bruce Willis/ Brad Pitt movie of that name could have been an engineered virus that mutated into the global pandemic. I don't know why I thought about that movie. Smarter people: your thoughts?
Old 04-07-20, 11:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 3491 Post(s)
Liked 973 Times in 649 Posts
Probably seems that way. But look back over the long history of folklore and myths derived from natural disasters, some of which were mistaken for edicts from gods. Entire Biblical "lessons" are conflated with natural disasters -- assuming the anecdotes were even remotely accurate to begin with and not merely regurgitated from myths borrowed from earlier cultures.

While it's tempting to believe *this* pandemic, or *that* natural disaster, is The Big One, that's an example of what I call the arrogance of experience. We humans live short lives, insignificant in the grand scheme of things. But to each of us our lives feel very significant. So we mistake our heightened senses and reactions for statistical significance or something important in terms of history or impact. That's rarely the case.

The problem is that occasionally this arrogance of experience leads people to inappropriate conclusions about signs and wonders, and consequent ill-advised actions, including cults indulging in destructive or self destructive behaviors: the mass forced suicides/murders of Jim Jones and the Peoples Temple cult in Jonestown, Guyana; Marshall Applewhite and the Heaven's Gate cult group suicide; the Branch Davidians in Waco, Texas; the Maccabees hopeless opposition to Rome; the Ghost Dancers, among the last gasps of Native American opposition against the encroachments of white and non-Native settlers.

The entire Book of Revelation was generally considered apocryphal, while not omitted from most bibles, only occasionally considered seriously by a few cults over the centuries, but finally becoming mainstream mostly as a result of Hal Lindsey's recklessly speculative works emphasizing mystery over sound gospel. Lindsey came across as sane, sensible and reasonable, which gave readers and audiences the mistaken impression that the material was actually significant to their lives. It wasn't. But it inflamed far more radical false prophets, con artists and tent show magicians who eventually managed to turn "end times prophecy" into a cash cow by bilking more and more mainstream Christians.

Stephen King has made a career out of fictionalizing "what if" scenarios involving science gone awry: The Stand, The Mist, and in others infusing ordinary technology with ghosts in the machines. Nobody conflates these with edicts from gods. But who knows, centuries from now perhaps they will.

L Ron Hubbard figured out a way to turn his inept writing about science fiction and the occult into a mind control system disguised as a quasi-religion/life coaching cult. Ditto his grifter love child "Werner Erhard" with "est".

Carlos Castaneda was a classic example of failure to heed Nietzsche's warning about the abyss: “Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”

Castaneda had a good scam going with his books about the mythical Yaqui brujo Don Juan Matus and the Sonoran desert culture. If he had made clear from the start these were fictionalized, based on conversations and composites of many characters, he still would have had some fascinating novels. But he insisted on presenting these as anthropological research.

Even after his writings were debunked as anthropology, he still would have enjoyed some fame and respect from fans, including me. I didn't care whether they were true. I just thought they were fascinating stories and they *felt true*, perhaps in the same sense as the epic writings of many great novelists from Melville to Cormac McCarthy, and Ron Hansen's "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford," which invents dialogues and scenarios based loosely on actual letters and biographies to flesh out an American icon.

But Castaneda went on to create Tensegrity, a slight twist on Crowley's occult "magick", right down to the usual sexual obsessions. Seems like those cults always become obsessed with sex in some way, whether repressing it or turning it into some sort of glorified ritual. It ended with some of his female followers basically sacrificing themselves in the desert in some still unresolved death pact.

All because these con artists, charlatans and shamans conflate perfectly ordinary natural disasters, pandemics, wars and rumors of wars, and pendulum swings in cultures and governments, for something "significant" because they all suffered from the arrogance of experience, rather than looking at the lessons of history for perspective.
Old 04-08-20, 01:04 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 8175 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 519 Posts
^^^ Wow, heavy, man.
Likes For genec:
Old 04-08-20, 02:07 PM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 304 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
look back over the long history of folklore and myths derived from natural disasters, some of which were mistaken for edicts from gods.
I find it very wrong that those religious leaders who have endangered their followers by continuing the holding of services and by claiming the virus can be defeated by faith in a God rather than solid healthcare policy are putting even more people at risk. In times like these the struggling to stay true to a faith can just be loving people to death.
Likes For clemsongirl:
Old 04-08-20, 06:48 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10906 Post(s)
Liked 2,444 Times in 1,378 Posts
Filmed in my home (and current) town of Philadelphia. Never could get through the film.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-08-20, 08:16 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 526 Posts

All I wanted was a Pepsi just one Pepsi but she wouldn’t give it to me! Just a Pepsi. Doesn’t matter I will probably drink the Jim Jones Koolaid anyways.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 04-08-20, 09:29 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Probably seems that way. But look back over the long history of folklore and myths derived from natural disasters, some of which were mistaken for edicts from gods. Entire Biblical "lessons" are conflated with natural disasters -- assuming the anecdotes were even remotely accurate to begin with and not merely regurgitated from myths borrowed from earlier cultures.

While it's tempting to believe *this* pandemic, or *that* natural disaster, is The Big One, that's an example of what I call the arrogance of experience. We humans live short lives, insignificant in the grand scheme of things. But to each of us our lives feel very significant. So we mistake our heightened senses and reactions for statistical significance or something important in terms of history or impact. That's rarely the case.

The problem is that occasionally this arrogance of experience leads people to inappropriate conclusions about signs and wonders, and consequent ill-advised actions, including cults indulging in destructive or self destructive behaviors: the mass forced suicides/murders of Jim Jones and the Peoples Temple cult in Jonestown, Guyana; Marshall Applewhite and the Heaven's Gate cult group suicide; the Branch Davidians in Waco, Texas; the Maccabees hopeless opposition to Rome; the Ghost Dancers, among the last gasps of Native American opposition against the encroachments of white and non-Native settlers.

The entire Book of Revelation was generally considered apocryphal, while not omitted from most bibles, only occasionally considered seriously by a few cults over the centuries, but finally becoming mainstream mostly as a result of Hal Lindsey's recklessly speculative works emphasizing mystery over sound gospel. Lindsey came across as sane, sensible and reasonable, which gave readers and audiences the mistaken impression that the material was actually significant to their lives. It wasn't. But it inflamed far more radical false prophets, con artists and tent show magicians who eventually managed to turn "end times prophecy" into a cash cow by bilking more and more mainstream Christians.

Stephen King has made a career out of fictionalizing "what if" scenarios involving science gone awry: The Stand, The Mist, and in others infusing ordinary technology with ghosts in the machines. Nobody conflates these with edicts from gods. But who knows, centuries from now perhaps they will.

L Ron Hubbard figured out a way to turn his inept writing about science fiction and the occult into a mind control system disguised as a quasi-religion/life coaching cult. Ditto his grifter love child "Werner Erhard" with "est".

Carlos Castaneda was a classic example of failure to heed Nietzsche's warning about the abyss: “Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”

Castaneda had a good scam going with his books about the mythical Yaqui brujo Don Juan Matus and the Sonoran desert culture. If he had made clear from the start these were fictionalized, based on conversations and composites of many characters, he still would have had some fascinating novels. But he insisted on presenting these as anthropological research.

Even after his writings were debunked as anthropology, he still would have enjoyed some fame and respect from fans, including me. I didn't care whether they were true. I just thought they were fascinating stories and they *felt true*, perhaps in the same sense as the epic writings of many great novelists from Melville to Cormac McCarthy, and Ron Hansen's "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford," which invents dialogues and scenarios based loosely on actual letters and biographies to flesh out an American icon.

But Castaneda went on to create Tensegrity, a slight twist on Crowley's occult "magick", right down to the usual sexual obsessions. Seems like those cults always become obsessed with sex in some way, whether repressing it or turning it into some sort of glorified ritual. It ended with some of his female followers basically sacrificing themselves in the desert in some still unresolved death pact.

All because these con artists, charlatans and shamans conflate perfectly ordinary natural disasters, pandemics, wars and rumors of wars, and pendulum swings in cultures and governments, for something "significant" because they all suffered from the arrogance of experience, rather than looking at the lessons of history for perspective.
I hear ya I go out into nature hiking or biking in nowhere as possible. Stop and listen. Mother Earth? Maybe heck I don’t k know. When I’m searching for possible answers that is what I do.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 04-08-20, 10:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 11536 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,583 Posts
A touch of Night of the Living Dead, too. That we're being chased and killed by this innumerable thing that's somewhere between alive and dead.
Old 04-08-20, 10:42 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

What is the Living Dead stuff? Seriously I’m missing out. Is it a TV show? Books? podcast? is it?
Old 04-09-20, 01:14 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 11536 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,583 Posts
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/101...he_living_dead

1968 zombie movie. One of the first and most influential. Well done.
Old 04-09-20, 01:43 AM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/101...he_living_dead

1968 zombie movie. One of the first and most influential. Well done.

OK . I see what y’all talking about now.
Old 04-13-20, 08:02 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Trek 1120, Santa Cruz Tallboy 3CC, Fandango DC-9 MTB tandem, Jamis Renegade Expert, Bike Friday Pocket Llama, Santana Arriva tandem, Bridgestone RB-1

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zI9ub9AgF0

All I wanted was a Pepsi just one Pepsi but she wouldn’t give it to me! Just a Pepsi. Doesn’t matter I will probably drink the Jim Jones Koolaid anyways.
There's another brand of Kool Aid. Check out the Tom Wolfe narrative about some electric koolaid. If you're into that kind of thing.
Old 04-14-20, 02:59 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa View Post
There's another brand of Kool Aid. Check out the Tom Wolfe narrative about some electric koolaid. If you're into that kind of thing.
Yup! I read it in high school, around 1970. Warped my little mind, as Cartman said in South Park.
Old 04-14-20, 06:06 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1413 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zI9ub9AgF0

An oldie but a goodie. It has definitely lost some impact over the years. It actually seems pretty tame by modern standards, it was once hard core bleeding edge stuff, if you can believe that. But this was the early 80's, a COMPLETELY different era from today. (For additional evidence please refer to, "Ridgemont High, Fast Times At")

Sometimes I try to do things
And it just doesn't work out the way I want it to
And I get real frustrated, and like I try hard to do it
And I take my time, but it just doesn't work out the way I want it to
It's like I concentrate on it real hard
But it just doesn't work out
And everything I do and everything I try
It never turns out, it's like, I need time to figure these things out
there's always someone there going
"Hey Mike, you know, we've been noticing you've been having a lot of problems lately, you know?
You should maybe get away, and like, maybe you should talk about it you'll feel a lot better"
And I go, "No it's okay, you know
I'll figure it out, just leave me alone
I'll figure it out, you know?
I'm just working on myself"
They go, "Well you know, if you want to talk about it
I'll be here, you know
And you'll probably feel a lot better if you talk about it
So why don't you talk about it?"
And I go, "NO I don't want to, I'm okay!
I'll figure it out myself!"
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 04-14-20, 10:52 AM
TankSlapper
Omphaloskeptic

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
I find it very wrong that those religious leaders who have endangered their followers by continuing the holding of services and by claiming the virus can be defeated by faith in a God rather than solid healthcare policy are putting even more people at risk. In times like these the struggling to stay true to a faith can just be loving people to death.
Pastor who defied social distancing rules dies of Covid-19
Old 04-19-20, 07:12 PM
DeadGrandpa

Yeah, I can't say if the church goers were following social distance guidelines, cause I don't attend. I did go to Lowe's a few weeks ago, to get paint for our back deck. The store was slammed. Of course, our mission was "essential", while those religious zealots were just risking life for no particular reason.
Old 04-20-20, 09:32 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 154 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa View Post
Yeah, I can't say if the church goers were following social distance guidelines, cause I don't attend. I did go to Lowe's a few weeks ago, to get paint for our back deck. The store was slammed. Of course, our mission was "essential", while those religious zealots were just risking life for no particular reason.
Yeah, I went to Home Depot on Friday, they were following the recommended protocols VERY seriously. And four out of five customers, like me, were masked and mostly wearing gloves. Were most of us on “essential” missions? Probably not. But from Home Depot’s point of view, if you sell paint, you gotta sell paint. If all you have to sell is religion, you gotta sell religion.

It’s tough out there for a pimp; as the saying goes.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● ● 1984 Nishiki Landau ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Univega Nuovo Sport ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Trek 400 ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●
Old 04-20-20, 09:51 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Hardware and home stores probably are more essential than church services. To most faithful, god is everywhere. Paint, crown molding and vacuum cleaners aren't.

Good opportunity for folks stuck at home to actually do those long overdue spring cleaning chores. I know it motivated me to redo my apartment, which had become sorta dreary after more than a decade in the same place. Management installed nice new wood grain laminate flooring (really does look and feel authentic). And they set a huge dumpster in the parking lot for a month for those of us inclined to discard old furniture and de-clutter our packrat and hoarder inclinations. Sure worked for me.

A friend who works in a Lowe's or Home Depot has posted a bit about some of her daily work adventures, but for the most part it's nothing too dramatic. I think the worst thing she's experienced was as a shopper at a grocery store, rather than at work in the hardware store. She offered to shop for some older neighbors, so her grocery buggy was stuffed to overflowing. She intended this to be her only trip this month for provisions. She's wearing a mask, latex or rubber gloves, minding her own business, waiting in line at the manned checkout register, not the DIY self-checkout.

But some Call-the-manager-Karen or Busybody-Becky with two or three items -- not wearing a mask, etc. -- literally gets in her face and berates her for having the audacity to plan out her shopping instead of making several trips a week to buy only a few items at a time. Accuses my friend of "hoarding" when she's purchasing only one of each essential item for three households, most of it stuff that there's no shortage of (she already had toilet paper, gloves and masks).

Fortunately those are the types who are eaten first or second during the zombie apocalypse. Unfortunately the first is often the black guy who's an engineer and ex-special forces who might have saved everyone else in town, but that would make for a 15 minute movie rather than a 90 minute gorefest.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 04-21-20, 09:04 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 325 Posts
I've been thinking about 12 Monkeys a lot.

Other threads have batted around links pertaining to pro/con on the engineered theory, and it seems like that is probably a hoax.
Old 04-26-20, 09:07 PM
DeadGrandpa

Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
I've been thinking about 12 Monkeys a lot.

Other threads have batted around links pertaining to pro/con on the engineered theory, and it seems like that is probably a hoax.
That it was an "engineered" pandemic or simply a natural occurrence, or something in between, will probably never be known. In an age when we cannot depend on the altruistic nature of journalism from any source whatsoever, I am relegated to riding my bike until I'm exhausted and then opening the wine and enjoying the hot tub.

It could be worse. I might have to go fishing for my supper.
Old 04-27-20, 09:39 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 325 Posts
I think the jury's still out on whether it was accidentally released from the Wuhan Institute of Virology, seems plausible they would be studying weird viruses found in nature.

But mostly I think that because I haven't researched, so don't nobody go taking that as gospel.

I invite well-written articles discussing whether it was certainly from the wet meat market, vs accidental release