Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 04-09-20, 10:44 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj View Post
I remember having the '86 and '87 catalogs. fleslider Do you know if there was an '88 and '89?
If i recall back then i had a 1988 Catalog, it was the same style cover as the 1987 but it was white not black... but not that i have it anymore . but yes i do believe there are 88 and 89 catalogs out there somewhere

hoping to find them someday..
Old 04-10-20, 07:13 AM
eugew23

Bikes: '78 Centurion LeMans, '89 Centurion Ironman Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post
Another cool color that seems to be hard to find. Love it! I am about done building a 50cm 87 Expert for my daughter. Nothing original on it since I bought it as a bare frame & fork with a stuck seat post.
I'd love to see a picture of that!
Old 04-10-20, 07:58 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by eugew23 View Post
I'd love to see a picture of that!
As soon as she rides it a little so we can see how she wants the brake levers and we get some bar tape on it I'll take some & post them. She is pretty busy homeschooling her 5 girls and still working some. She just got her midwife certification. I am thinking she will be a lot busier in about 9 months.
Likes For TXsailor:
Old 04-10-20, 10:29 AM
N2motorsports

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Who built this? Hope it was somebody here, just wanna give credit as itll be my inspiration build
Old 04-10-20, 11:44 AM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by N2motorsports View Post
Who built this? Hope it was somebody here, just wanna give credit as itll be my inspiration build
that would the infamous IronGent RobbieTunes
Old 04-10-20, 01:37 PM
N2motorsports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fleslider View Post
that would the infamous IronGent RobbieTunes
Of course! Nice bike, i finally got a reply on Offerup regarding a miami vice colorway. Kind of fishy, been bugging him for weeks and finally he responds with an "ok" at 1am....hmmm, better meet in a public place

just picked it up. Very rough with mismatch components and only rides in 4 gears since he literally shoved 9speed campagnolo wheelset in there

Last edited by N2motorsports; 04-11-20 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-11-20, 04:29 PM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 872 Times in 552 Posts
Need anything for it?
Of course! Nice bike, i finally got a reply on Offerup regarding a miami vice colorway. Kind of fishy, been bugging him for weeks and finally he responds with an "ok" at 1am....hmmm, better meet in a public place
just picked it up. Very rough with mismatch components and only rides in 4 gears since he literally shoved 9speed campagnolo wheelset in there

Old 04-11-20, 04:58 PM
N2motorsports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
Need anything for it?
Yes, indeed I do. Check your PM
Old 04-11-20, 06:21 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 1356 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 181 Posts
Yes, indeed I do. Check your PM
RT to the rescue.
Old 04-11-20, 07:29 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

RT to the rescue.
Why am I not surprised in the least? Seypat and some more are the same way!
Old 04-11-20, 08:08 PM
texaspandj

Why am I not surprised in the least? Seypat and some more are the same way!
Its a Ironkids thang, but it started with R.T.
Old 04-11-20, 09:06 PM
TXsailor

Originally Posted by ddeand View Post
I finally hit the wall with my Ironman frame touch-up project. My initial goal was to get it looking OK from 10 feet - I told myself not to go totally anal on the project. Just get it ready to ride. Yeah . . . right! After about a month of mixing paint, I feel I got the color at about 98% - you can tell the spots when youíre at 2 feet. Every time I did a spot, my wet sanding (800 grit) would take it down to the primer. I tried airbrushing, but my skills were suspect, at best. Eventually, I returned to the airbrush and got a much better result. I havenít been able to get out and find the appropriate color to mix for the yellow, yet, but that will be less of a hassle. I just needed to get this bike put together! Today, I installed the bottom bracket, the headset, the brakes, rear axle stops, and handlebars. The cables and housing should be here tomorrow (white braided). Iíll start out with the white saddle and maybe switch to the yellow one once I figure out how to get the leather to wrap around the difficult curves. Bar tape will be yellow/gold. I will likely go back and retouch a few spots, but for now, I just want to get out and ride!

How about a tutorial showing how you recovered the saddle?
Old 04-11-20, 09:15 PM
TXsailor

My daughter's 87

My daughter picked her bike up this morning for a test ride. The saddle is a sort of raggedy one that came on my m/v. I have a lot better one for it that Seypat sent. She is pretty picky about saddles so this one is just for testing, I'm sure she will change it. We haven't picked out bar tape yet we wanted to see how it fit. So far she says it feels good. It got rainy before she had a chance to ride it much. We had to repaint part of the green and the parts store didn't get it matched very well. She said she sort of likes it, I am wishing we had painted the whole seat tube, but it looked a lot closer until it dried. We also repainted some of the white and I think it came out good. I don't really like the black chain rings but that's what I had. They are 30/39/50 with a 11-28 10 speed cassette. She wanted something that would climb hills and I think it will fit the bill.

Last edited by TXsailor; 04-11-20 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-11-20, 09:16 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
How about a tutorial showing how you recovered the saddle?
I basically read through this old thread a couple times: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ur-saddle.html

The problem with this saddle is that it has a some fairly sharp angles to deal with, and I donít want to have the leather bunch up. I may have to do some darts in the leather or maybe even have a separate piece cover the backside of the seat. Iíll have talk with my daughter (a seamstress) about that. I want it to look good. When I get going again on it, Iíll take some pictures and do a little addendum to the above thread.
Old 04-11-20, 09:22 PM
texaspandj

TXsailor here's a pic I took from the bay of the original white cover for your '87 expert. You had the OEM saddle then Seypat sent you another one. But the vetta suede saddle originally came with a white synthetic cover.
Old 04-11-20, 10:25 PM
TXsailor

TXsailor here's a pic I took from the bay of the original white cover for your '87 expert. You had the OEM saddle then Seypat sent you another one. But the vetta suede saddle originally came with a white synthetic cover.
My wife is a pretty accomplished seamstress. She has done car interiors, boat canvas, doll clothes, kid clothes you name it. She is mostly self taught. I have a small fortune tied up in her sewing stuff. That's why she doesn't mind when I buy bike parts I think if I could find out what material these covers were made of I could convince her to make some. Right now she is making COVID masks for friends & family that need them. She also has a embroidery machine that she might could put the Centurion on with. It wouldn't be the same as original but I think she could make it look nice. I'm not making promises as she can be a bit stubborn at times but maybe.....
Likes For TXsailor:
Old 04-11-20, 11:31 PM
texaspandj

As I remember, it had a rubbery texture. Here's a better picture.
Old 04-12-20, 09:05 AM
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 872 Times in 552 Posts
Its a Ironkids thang, but it started with R.T.
ďand the kids are alrightĒ
-Pete Townsend (The Who)

Old 04-12-20, 10:43 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 263 Posts

My daughter picked her bike up this morning for a test ride. The saddle is a sort of raggedy one that came on my m/v. I have a lot better one for it that Seypat sent. She is pretty picky about saddles so this one is just for testing, I'm sure she will change it. We haven't picked out bar tape yet we wanted to see how it fit. So far she says it feels good. It got rainy before she had a chance to ride it much. We had to repaint part of the green and the parts store didn't get it matched very well. She said she sort of likes it, I am wishing we had painted the whole seat tube, but it looked a lot closer until it dried. We also repainted some of the white and I think it came out good. I don't really like the black chain rings but that's what I had. They are 30/39/50 with a 11-28 10 speed cassette. She wanted something that would climb hills and I think it will fit the bill.
Nice looking bike! If you have any experience with Avocet touring saddles, they made Women's specific models. You might look for one of those.
Old 04-12-20, 11:28 AM
CenturionII

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have enjoyed reading all of the great information on this thread. I donít have the Ironman, but an 86 Elite RS that my brother left me back in the early 90ís. I still love the ride.

Likes For CenturionII:
Old 04-12-20, 11:58 AM
TXsailor

Originally Posted by CenturionII View Post
I have enjoyed reading all of the great information on this thread. I donít have the Ironman, but an 86 Elite RS that my brother left me back in the early 90ís. I still love the ride.

Don't tell anyone but the people who follow this thread like all things Centurion.
Likes For TXsailor:
Old 04-12-20, 05:14 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: Paramounts, PX-10s, Mondias, Motobecane Grand Record, Specialized Allez Carbon, and Nishiki Tri-A

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 173 Posts
I finally hit the wall with my Ironman frame touch-up project. My initial goal was to get it looking OK from 10 feet - I told myself not to go totally anal on the project. Just get it ready to ride. Yeah . . . right! After about a month of mixing paint, I feel I got the color at about 98% - you can tell the spots when youíre at 2 feet. Every time I did a spot, my wet sanding (800 grit) would take it down to the primer. I tried airbrushing, but my skills were suspect, at best. Eventually, I returned to the airbrush and got a much better result. I havenít been able to get out and find the appropriate color to mix for the yellow, yet, but that will be less of a hassle. I just needed to get this bike put together! Today, I installed the bottom bracket, the headset, the brakes, rear axle stops, and handlebars. The cables and housing should be here tomorrow (white braided). Iíll start out with the white saddle and maybe switch to the yellow one once I figure out how to get the leather to wrap around the difficult curves. Bar tape will be yellow/gold. I will likely go back and retouch a few spots, but for now, I just want to get out and ride!

If I am ever trying to do a touch-up of paint that has chipped off, I never sand or feather the edges first.
I clean the chip as best as I can first and then thin the paint as much as possible...just thin enough to leave a decent amount of color in the chipped area (going out to the edges of the chip) and let it dry before applying another coat of color. The lack of feathering leave and edge that the new paint can fill to....I never try to fill in with one complete coat but use several to build up the paint so that it is just slightly above the "original" surface...then try to sand "only" the smallest amount of area where the touch-up is in order to get it level. use a 1200 wet dry to do this and follow with a fine polishing compound.
Another trick that I have found useful is to position the frame so that the chip is as parallel to the ground as possible...this is done so that I don't get that blob or pooling of paint that always occurs when the paint flows downwards...you know what I mean, and I never sand through to the primer unless I am going to use an airbrush or spray gun to paint with.
It would be nice to see how your method turned out..it looks good from 2 ft.
JM2C's
Ben
Old 04-12-20, 06:34 PM
ddeand 

Originally Posted by xiaoman1 View Post
If I am ever trying to do a touch-up of paint that has chipped off, I never sand or feather the edges first.
I clean the chip as best as I can first and then thin the paint as much as possible...just thin enough to leave a decent amount of color in the chipped area (going out to the edges of the chip) and let it dry before applying another coat of color. The lack of feathering leave and edge that the new paint can fill to....I never try to fill in with one complete coat but use several to build up the paint so that it is just slightly above the "original" surface...then try to sand "only" the smallest amount of area where the touch-up is in order to get it level. use a 1200 wet dry to do this and follow with a fine polishing compound.
Another trick that I have found useful is to position the frame so that the chip is as parallel to the ground as possible...this is done so that I don't get that blob or pooling of paint that always occurs when the paint flows downwards...you know what I mean, and I never sand through to the primer unless I am going to use an airbrush or spray gun to paint with.
It would be nice to see how your method turned out..it looks good from 2 ft.
JM2C's
Ben
Thanks for the tips, Ben. I think you might have described your process earlier somewhere, because I tried some if those techniques. I was probably a little heavy-handed with the sanding, though. My biggest challenge was getting the paint mixed closely enough to the original - that purple/magenta is a bear to match up. With your method, you can focus specifically on the spot. I ended up covering a larger area to get a smooth (mostly) coating. I was able to finish without using any sandpaper - I used 3M Perfect It II followed by 3M Finesse It and then Zymol Spray Wax. The result is an acceptable finish from about 8 feet, but when you get the magnifying glass out, you can tell where the work was done. Still, itís better that when I got it it. Thanks again for the tips - Iíll try that on one of my other bikes.
Old 04-12-20, 08:44 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: Paramounts, PX-10s, Mondias, Motobecane Grand Record, Specialized Allez Carbon, and Nishiki Tri-A

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 173 Posts
Thanks for the tips, Ben. I think you might have described your process earlier somewhere, because I tried some if those techniques. I was probably a little heavy-handed with the sanding, though. My biggest challenge was getting the paint mixed closely enough to the original - that purple/magenta is a bear to match up. With your method, you can focus specifically on the spot. I ended up covering a larger area to get a smooth (mostly) coating. I was able to finish without using any sandpaper - I used 3M Perfect It II followed by 3M Finesse It and then Zymol Spray Wax. The result is an acceptable finish from about 8 feet, but when you get the magnifying glass out, you can tell where the work was done. Still, itís better that when I got it it. Thanks again for the tips - Iíll try that on one of my other bikes.
Looks better than an 8 footer! What did you do to the seat, it looks great....
Best, Ben
Old 04-12-20, 09:14 PM
ddeand 

Originally Posted by xiaoman1 View Post
Looks better than an 8 footer! What did you do to the seat, it looks great....
Best, Ben
I have to start over on the seat - it had too many compound, tight curves in the back to get the leather to lay flat. I may have to splice in a rear section like the original WTB cover. Iíll have get my daughter to help with proper stitching for that. But for the top and sides, it looked pretty good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.