Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Problem or solution?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Problem or solution?

Old 04-09-20, 11:57 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
There is a bit of a difference you can cover a lot of ground in a car.(yes I know bikes can too, but a lot don't) Our government here in Australia doesn't have it's head up it's but and has introduced some sensible rules. You need exercise so you can ride your bike, or go for a jog, but not stupidly far from home. You must socially distance. Groups of unrelated or non households can't exceed 2 people. You can't just drive around randomly, you have to have a reasonable excuse. You can go to the beach, but if the beach gets crowded it gets closed immediately. Some states allow fishing, but again near home and with social distance. Basically if the mob stuff it up, it gets closed down and people get fined or locked up.
Reminds me of the Demotivator:

Since I need to drive for work sometimes I can definitely see way less traffic. The "great" thing for us here is that the USA is a perfect example of how not to deal with CV-19, the government goes "we don't want to end up like the USA" and the population on average goes "nope, that would be a bad idea" and toes the line.
Our president is good for something after all!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 04-09-20, 12:00 PM
russtopherb

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2019 Jamis Allegro Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm also in New England and I'm solo riding as is specifically permitted under the rules in place in the two states I ride in (I live a few miles from the border). Cars and bikes scattered on the road is not a problem outside, groups of people congregating are. If you're riding close to someone else than you're a problem. If you're keeping your distance from everyone, than you're not. I'm not sure anything can be done safely outside in a crowded urban environment, but I don't live in one and I'm avoiding riding to or through them right now.

The big issue with driving is more about where you're going to get out of the car than it is with the actual driving.

Long story short--are you riding somewhere where you are in close proximity with other people? If not, you're not a part of any problem. If so, maybe take a break or change your route.
Same in my part of MA. Very quiet roads, my wife and I will walk through our neighborhood and surrounding area for an hour and only see 1-2 cars.
Likes For russtopherb:
Old 04-09-20, 01:01 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
You're not as bad as they are. You're worse. In a car, the exhaled droplets and aerosols are virtually entirely confined within the passenger compartment. On your bike, you're spewing possibly virus laden material into the atmosphere for others to inhale.
Well, Yes and No. COVID-19 has a very short life in open air and only in close proximity, thus the 6ft. rule. In controlled conditions about half the virus might linger an hour, then disperses. Even during that time there’s only a slight chance of inhaling it. In an open air environment coming out of a fellow or nearby cyclists mouth at 12-15 mph, you would have to be nearby (riding a pace line ?) to inhale or get on your skin. It’s not a good idea to be riding with others is good advice, and when you pass others, don’t be sneezing or coughing. I’ve abandoned bike paths for this reason, too many people in close proximity, even though I’m riding by at 12 mph. And I move away from folks running or walking on sidewalks. The chances of contracting or spreading while you solo rode a bike on the streets is minuscule from all I’ve read.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 04-09-20, 01:32 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Here in Wisconsin, when the Governor announced the "Safer at Home" policy, he also waived the entrance fees at State Parks, so people could do something healthy outside. Unfortunately, some people abused this and used the parks in large groups, vandalized facilities, and dumped trash everywhere. So today, the Governor closed many of the parks (including the one closest to me, through which I routinely ride to get to the nice rural roads on top of the escarpment). This is why we can't have nice things.

https://fox11online.com/news/coronav...reas-shut-down
Old 04-09-20, 03:05 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Here in Wisconsin, when the Governor announced the "Safer at Home" policy, he also waived the entrance fees at State Parks, so people could do something healthy outside. Unfortunately, some people abused this and used the parks in large groups, vandalized facilities, and dumped trash everywhere. So today, the Governor closed many of the parks (including the one closest to me, through which I routinely ride to get to the nice rural roads on top of the escarpment). This is why we can't have nice things.

They could alleviate some of the crowding and gathering by leaving the park open to access but just closing the parking lots. That eliminates anybody that drives to the parks and they would only see folks who walked or biked in. Many fewer folks in that scenario.
Old 04-09-20, 03:14 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
They could alleviate some of the crowding and gathering by leaving the park open to access but just closing the parking lots. That eliminates anybody that drives to the parks and they would only see folks who walked or biked in. Many fewer folks in that scenario.
I suspect people would just park on the side of the road and create even more of a problem.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 04-09-20, 03:47 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I have thought they should close the parking lots in the state forest near here and make parking illegal. But I'm not convinced that isn't just selfishness on my part, since I ride my bike out there and most people are afraid to do that
Old 04-09-20, 06:12 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,271 Times in 7,224 Posts
Originally Posted by krecik
Roads are for vehicles. I don't see the problem...
Actually, many (if not most) states’ laws give cyclists the right to use most roads. So there’s that. Hope you don’t drive.
Old 04-09-20, 06:16 PM
indyfabz

I suspect people would just park on the side of the road and create even more of a problem.
In Philadelphia they are not issuing meter violation tickets. Some people think that gives them license to do anything. There is a popular indoor farmers market type thing in town. You can now order on line for pickup. I was there the other day and saw people leaving there cars in one of the travel lanes because the curb parking was taken. A cop went car to car writing tickets.
Old 04-09-20, 06:19 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Actually, many (if not most) states’ laws give cyclists the right to use most roads. So there’s that. Hope you don’t drive.
The two of you are saying the same thing. Roads are for vehicles and bicycles are vehicles.
Old 04-10-20, 01:47 AM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-14-21 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-10-20, 03:29 AM
krecik

​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-14-21 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-10-20, 04:12 AM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by krecik
Otherwise ride your local sidewalks
Please do not cycle on the sidewalks. These are for pedestrians only.
Old 04-10-20, 07:17 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts

I could see that coming. Went to Pike Lake State park last Sunday, the place was packed, way to many people, kind of like a summer weekend. Also nowhere to throw the trash, and just a single porta-potty to service the main beach area. The exact opposite of what we are trying to do here.
Tim
Old 04-10-20, 07:20 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Isn't there a new forum for this?

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...-forum-bf.html
Old 04-10-20, 09:29 AM
krecik

Last edited by krecik; 09-18-23 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-10-20, 09:39 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Actually if you are in a relatively new car, you are quite safe as most have a cabin filter. Why not go for a nice drive? Just because I bike, I do not hate cars.
Old 04-13-20, 11:58 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
I was out on my bike riding the Burke-Gilman and Sammamish River Trails about two weeks ago on a Wednesday afternoon. This is in the north Seattle area. You would have thought it was a sunny summer Sunday afternoon it was so crowded. A lot of bikes, runners, walkers, rollerbladers, stroller pushers, and many people with their kids and dogs. That's why I avoid this trail on the weekends!
Old 04-13-20, 12:00 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
How are you certain? My car will turn 4 in early July. Just went over 10,200 miles today while I was picking up my cat from the hospital. Drove him there Monday for an emergency and then went to a grocery store.

I think you are just trying to spawn a contentious thread.
You may be one of the few people who drives less than I do.
Old 04-13-20, 01:11 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
You may be one of the few people who drives less than I do.
My mileage would be lower, but at some point this winter or last fall I started having to go to my NJ office a couple of times a week to keep our president happy. About 35 miles round trip. At least because I was officially based in Philly I could put in for mileage and tolls.

Just as the weather was starting to turn and I was planning to resume a bike-train-bike commute there I was first told that I had to stay in Philly all the time to spread out people in the department in case one of us got sick. Then it was "work from home," so I don't even get to do my 2 mile commute into town.
Old 04-13-20, 01:27 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Actually if you are in a relatively new car, you are quite safe as most have a cabin filter. Why not go for a nice drive? Just because I bike, I do not hate cars.
I don't think it matters really - even the slightest breeze will disperse/dilute any virus to pretty much zero in no time. I was out the other day and a truck ahead of me blasted a big gout of black exhaust - don't know if it was a mis-timed "coal roll" or if he was downshifting to climb a hill and his rings were bad - in any case, even though this is only maybe 50 yds ahead of me, it had been completely dispersed by the time I got there. I understand that smoke isn't virus, but it illustrates the dispersal power of the great outdoors. I personally have no concerns driving with the roof down these days. Same with cycling - I ride on country roads avoid crowds, give riders a decently wide berth if I overtake - out on the bike is probably the safest place I can be, COVIDly speaking
Old 04-13-20, 01:28 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
My mileage would be lower, but at some point this winter or last fall I started having to go to my NJ office a couple of times a week to keep our president happy. About 35 miles round trip. At least because I was officially based in Philly I could put in for mileage and tolls.

Just as the weather was starting to turn and I was planning to resume a bike-train-bike commute there I was first told that I had to stay in Philly all the time to spread out people in the department in case one of us got sick. Then it was "work from home," so I don't even get to do my 2 mile commute into town.
I'm under 10k per year, including 4k of driving to Chattanooga and Boulder. But that's going to be much lower this year.
Old 04-13-20, 01:39 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
There's a lot of people in here that "just don't get it" with the "why" and "what" different aspects of the orders are meant to achieve.

Restaurants, theaters, malls, etc..........have what in common? Large crowds close together. Closer than 6' together. What's that got to do with a lone biker on the road or jogger exactly?

Italy and Spain, enough people still rode bikes in groups and went to cafes that the whole "ride alone" thing wasn't working. In the US, we're not a cycling country. So it isn't the same threat to spread.

So of ya'll need to take a seat yo.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 04-13-20, 02:40 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
In the US, we're not a cycling country. So it isn't the same threat to spread.
I went for a ride through center city Philly and other areas on Easter. Plenty of people on bikes. I have even been seeing families with young children riding on streets you would never see them on during normal times. Depends where you live.

The other new sight is a lot of runners in bike lanes so they can avoid people on the narrow sidewalk of my old city. Many of them don’t bother to get back on the sidewalk as you are coming towards them.

Last edited by indyfabz; 04-13-20 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-13-20, 09:14 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
I went for a ride through center city Philly and other areas on Easter. Plenty of people on bikes. I have even been seeing families with young children riding on streets you would never see them on during normal times. Depends where you live.

The other new sight is a lot of runners in bike lanes so they can avoid people on the narrow sidewalk of my old city. Many of them don’t bother to get back on the sidewalk as you are coming towards them.
I end up yelling at one of these morons every time I ride. Get the hell out of the bicycle lane and go run somewhere else.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.