Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Attach Topside light to POC Crane?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-20, 12:44 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts

I am putting a flip visor on the Helm, so light (s) must go on top of the dome. I really like theTopside but am unsure of the pictured mount. You cannot go through the vents in the POC... so I am thinking one of those 3M pads. Or, is there a ready made clip/attachment that will accept the Topside?
https://www.amazon.com/Topside-Rechargeable-Lights-Perfect-Commuter/dp/B01M3YP1FO#​​​​​​

Last edited by Digger Goreman; 02-14-20 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-14-20, 03:03 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
According to the listing at Amazon you get two different helmet mounts. Maybe one of the two will work with a longer ziptie.
Pardon me for being skeptical about this light (another Kickstarter project). There is a lot of conflicting information on the light. If you compare the listing at Amazon with the Brightside company website things don't match. There are four different values for the weight between the Amazon listing and the company site. Amazon gives the run time as 43 hours (no lumen count given) while the company website says 18 hours in the specifications list. I have several 100 lumen bike taillights. None of them ever come close to the run times listed for this light IF THEY ARE RUN ON THE 100 LUMEN FLASHING MODE. You just can't put a "massive battery" in 66 grams and still have something left over for rest of the light and mount. Wish they wouldn't treat battery capacity as classified information. It shouldn't be. Finally when I went to the ordering page more information showed up about run times. Under the heading "Run Times and Performance"
Alternating ends: 43 hours 15 Lumen
Double flash: 18 hours 30 Lumen
Constant both: 2 hours 30 mins 30 Lumen each
Constant white, red flash: 14 hours 15 mins 15+30 Lumen
Constant white 5 hours 50 Lumen
Constant red white flash: 6 hours 15+100 Lumen
Constant red: 3 hours 30 mins 30 Lumen
Suddenly the 43 hour run time only happens with 15 lumens alternating front and rear. That's way more realistic. It might be OK at night but probably not worth much in bright sunlight.
Lastly, the Amazon seller lied about how often the battery in this light can be recharged. When asked if the battery can be replaced or the light has to be discarded when the battery goes bad here is the answer, "The lights are sealed and not designed to be taken apart. The battery manufacturers state that the cells should be able to take 20,000 charge cycles. We've not been able to test that statement but hopefully the light will continue to work for as long as you need it to. The lights have a 2 year warranty." If you look up the same question at battery manufacture websites or at the Department of Energy website, the universal answer is that lithium batteries can be recharged about 500 times before they drop to 80% recharge capacity. That's when these batteries are considered to be needing replacement. For most people that's not bad unless you use the light every day and recharge it often. It still means this $39 light will become useless since you can't swap batteries.
Brightside website main page https://brightside.bike/topside-bike-helmet-light/ Click on "order now" to see the real lumen count.
Amazon listing by Brightside https://www.amazon.com/Topside-Bike-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 02-14-20, 07:13 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
3M VHB tape. It's the most common double sided foam tape for permanently attaching mounts to helmets, and other uses. It's what Drift uses to attach mounts to helmets for their video cameras.

However you may need to rig up a base to set the light at the desired angle.

The 3M VHB tape can also be used with heavy duty Velcro fasteners. So the light or other item can be detached and reattached as needed, without affecting the tape mount. These heavy duty hook and loop fasteners are usually all plastic, no fabric, and designed to hold electronics and other objects on vehicles, boats, etc. Check automotive supply stores or online departments.

If you want to experiment first with something easier to remove yet still holds securely, try Blu Tack gum or Scotch mounting putty. I've used both to secure the plastic clip-in helmet mounts to my bike helmets (Bell Formula MIPS, POC Omne Air Spin). I used the putty to build up a foundation to put the mounts at the desired angle, based on my usual head position. No problems. The Drift Ghost X camera weighs about the same as my 500 lumen NiteRider and Light & Motion headlights, and the putty held securely for months.

I've also used these putties to secure wire antennas outside my apartment building wall and fence for shortwave radio listening. The stuff held for months in all weather. But it could be peeled off later.

The putty remains pliable for years, but doesn't change shape easily or deform in summer heat, so once set up it shouldn't be necessary to adjust the mount again. Yet it can be removed later. I've done so with the mount on my Bell helmet -- I peeled off the Blu Tack gum after about six months. It took some effort but didn't damage the helmet.

And I used safety leashes as backups, mostly because the plastic quick release mounting clips can break with repeated use. I wasn't worried about the putty losing grip.
Old 02-14-20, 07:31 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

My use wil be early morning/night and not more than a half dozen times a week. As stated, before, there is zero op, on the helm, to strap/tie wrap the holder. So, warnings accepted, is there a way to adapt this holder to afixing it on the helm via a 3M style pad? Or, is there another, rechargeable, apex lighting option?
Old 02-14-20, 07:44 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Originally Posted by canklecat
3M VHB tape. It's the most common double sided foam tape for permanently attaching mounts to helmets, and other uses. It's what Drift uses to attach mounts to helmets for their video cameras.

However you may need to rig up a base to set the light at the desired angle.

The 3M VHB tape can also be used with heavy duty Velcro fasteners. So the light or other item can be detached and reattached as needed, without affecting the tape mount. These heavy duty hook and loop fasteners are usually all plastic, no fabric, and designed to hold electronics and other objects on vehicles, boats, etc. Check automotive supply stores or online departments.

If you want to experiment first with something easier to remove yet still holds securely, try Blu Tack gum or Scotch mounting putty. I've used both to secure the plastic clip-in helmet mounts to my bike helmets (Bell Formula MIPS, POC Omne Air Spin). I used the putty to build up a foundation to put the mounts at the desired angle, based on my usual head position. No problems. The Drift Ghost X camera weighs about the same as my 500 lumen NiteRider and Light & Motion headlights, and the putty held securely for months.

I've also used these putties to secure wire antennas outside my apartment building wall and fence for shortwave radio listening. The stuff held for months in all weather. But it could be peeled off later.

The putty remains pliable for years, but doesn't change shape easily or deform in summer heat, so once set up it shouldn't be necessary to adjust the mount again. Yet it can be removed later. I've done so with the mount on my Bell helmet -- I peeled off the Blu Tack gum after about six months. It took some effort but didn't damage the helmet.

And I used safety leashes as backups, mostly because the plastic quick release mounting clips can break with repeated use. I wasn't worried about the putty losing grip.
Postings overlapped in time, lol.... Thanks for the alt info, somethings to chew on!
Old 02-15-20, 12:06 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
BTW, Digger Goreman , if you decide the Crane is too hot for summer, check out the POC Omne Air Spin. It's more of a commuter/skater style helmet, but with outstanding ventilation. Better than my Bell helmets. However POC's thicker EPS foam, and sitting lower on the head for more protection, means it protrudes into my sightline just above my brow when I'm in the drops on my road bike, or using aero bars. But it's worth it for the added skull coverage, especially at the back around the occipital region.

But I have seen a few younger roadies, including in races, using the Omne Air Spin because it's the most affordable POC helmet. And the price has dropped to around $75, half what I paid when it first came out.

I mostly wear it when riding my hybrids, or on casual road bike rides where I'm sitting upright. It also has more room for a knit cap in winter to cover my ears. My Bell Formula MIPs doesn't have enough room for anything thicker than a bandana.

And Competitive Cyclist and a couple other discounters have a few other POC models discounted now. I'm assuming that means POC is replacing those models with updates. But crash reports from racers indicate the existing Ventral and Octal helmets do indeed work very well to protect the noggin.
Old 02-15-20, 02:08 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Wore the crane all last summer and sweated no more, or less, than my previous (vented) Trek helmet. Trek was light silver, crane is white.