Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cote d Azure mystery bike

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-17-20, 01:35 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts

Attention Francophiles

I was looking at craigslist recently and saw this bike listed , semi disassembled and needing a chain.

I was intrigued. Never heard of the marque, Cote D Azure. Definitely French with what looked like a TA crank and a leather saddle, offered at $65.

The bike was 50 miles away though and I had my hands full with a couple other projects. I responded to the add and offered $50 if there was any way they could drliver it at least half way. I Emailed some pictures of past resto projects and told them I would love to get my hands on the bike.

Over the next few weeks we corresponded and the owner found someone coming down my way and agreed to drop it off at my house .

Today it finally arrived. This is definitely an interesting machine. It looks like it early 70’s or older. Except for the Hurret front der and levers most of the equipment is new to me.

Here is the bike and its equipment

Frame has no decals on it other than Cote d Azure painted on the down tube and the head badge.

The paint is actually pretty good and should clean up nicely.

Cranks Solida cottered steel

Pedals Lyotard

Front der and levers Hurret

Rear der Schwinn

Wheels Patterned steel Rigida rims and Normandy large flange hubs

Brakes side pull Lam – B te 700 sport

Levers There is a logo cast in the side that looks like a circle with C B inset in it.

Stem APM one side, Bell on the other

Saddle ADGA 28 A leather saddle

The head badge reads

Cycles

Cote D’ Azure

Made in France

Now for the real interesting bit

Weighed on my hanging scale as found it weighs 26.75 lbs. with steel wheels and steel cottered crank. I can't wait to weigh the frame. I thought my scale might be off so I weighed it twice with the same result. Hard to believe it is that light.

O/k Has anyone ever seen this mfg before. Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!

Last edited by capnjonny; 02-17-20 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-17-20, 01:50 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 96 Posts
I can't tell you anything about the bike manufacturer, but the brake levers are CLB, a major French brake brand. Don't try to bend the aluminum, CLB alloy is good and stiff but doesn't bend. Yes, I learned that the hard way.
Old 02-17-20, 02:12 PM
KenNC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 15 Posts
Nice! Really like the paint/artwork, and the crankset!
Old 02-17-20, 02:43 PM
Wulf

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Looks almost exactly like the Mercier I got in 67. Except my bike had Mafac Racer brakes. Typical low-end 10-speed from that era.
Old 02-17-20, 03:41 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 283 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 276 Posts
The discoloration/repaint around the head tube/down tube/top tube junction would concern me that it was crashed and then straightened at some point. Any evidence of wrinkled tubes in that area?
Old 02-17-20, 04:26 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2018 Post(s)
Liked 246 Times in 217 Posts
-----

Hello capnjonny,

I always enjoy your threads as you find the most interesting items!

Cote d'Azur is an economy badge from Mercier.

During the 1960's they were sold in the U.S. from chainstores.

The same bicycles were sold under three differing marques; one of the others was Ency. Formerly knew the name of the third but can no longer recall it.

Two of the distinguishing features of these are the stencil/fade finishes and the inverted U cross section brake bridges. These latter come from NERVEX and were offered in several sizes.

The LAM brand brakes are a product of Maillard and go back all the way into the interwar years.

Have lots of good fun with this new arrival. Have no doubt that you will do it up most proudly!

-----
Old 02-17-20, 04:37 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner View Post
The discoloration/repaint around the head tube/down tube/top tube junction would concern me that it was crashed and then straightened at some point. Any evidence of wrinkled tubes in that area?
Looks like it's there to match the silver/black fade on the seat tube
Old 02-17-20, 04:37 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by nlerner View Post
-----

There be no damage.

This is the stencil/fade paint scheme.

Note similar colour fade on seat tube panel.

-----
Old 02-17-20, 04:38 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 342 Posts
Very pretty bike! No one does entry level as elegantly as the French.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 02-17-20, 11:20 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Wow! Already I have an ID on the bike and some history. I really appreciate all the interest.

The things that caught my attention from the beginning were the cottered cranks and the seat. Both are in great shape. I wonder what the original spec was for the read derailleur. Hurret ? the original brakes may be up gradable with kool stops. If I change them it will be a pair of Mafac's. The bike was probably originally spec ed for 700 c wheels. when I mounted a set instead of the 27 x 1 1/4 s the pads fall square in the middle of their adjustment.

I took lots of pictures today then brought it into the shop and on the stand. Usually at this point I would quickly dismantle everything but today I just wanted to look at it. I feel like I am looking at the bike the day the owner told his son" We'll just keep it there in the attic till next spring". 50 years ago! I am glad I get to rescue this beautiful bike. It feels like a bit of history.
Old 02-18-20, 08:50 AM
juvela

-----

wrt dating -

the Normandy Sport hubs with the small round holes in the flanges ended in 1966 according to our Verktyg

---

other bits -

chainwheels are Cyclo (France)

pedals Lyotard model 36

seat binder ALGI

lug pattern BOCAMA 52/I

shell looks like it might be Gargatte but can no see well eno' for solid ID

---

would have sold new in 1966 for about $70US

---

shall look forward to following along ; ^ ]

-----
Old 02-19-20, 08:11 PM
capnjonny 

I took the bike in to the Bike Exchange today . We have set up a photo studio in one of the rooms to photograph some of our better sale bikes. I thought it would be nice to get a couple of photos of the bike with good lighting before i stripped it down.

Likes For capnjonny:
Old 02-19-20, 08:33 PM
juvela

-----

dating tip forgot to mention earlier -

the machine's Huret Allvit model 1900 rear mech enjoyed an unusually long production life and in that period went through a number of changes

several variations are exhibited at VB

you can check this example against the ones shown there to help narrow the dating

you could also check the writeup on the model at disraeligears

---

Edit:

Oops, my error!

Had not enlarged images sufficiently to see the Schwinn marking on rear mech.

NOW understand your question about it. Yes, it would have been a Freres Huret item; either the Allvit model or the Svelto model.

Your wheel size question -

cycle manufactuered for export to the english speaking world so 27" wheels were used.

with only a four mm difference in wheel radius factory is not going to make separate frames for 700 wheel size and for 27" wheel size in a sport model like this one.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 02-21-20 at 12:30 PM. Reason: correction