Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you record?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Do you record?

Old 03-04-20, 01:36 AM
denada

Bikes: '07 jamis venture race, '19 trek fx sport 4

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Do you record?

i got a gopro session. it's a gopro hero 4 in a 1.5 inch cube. it cost me almost nothing. i record everything. 1080, 30fps. i'm not 100 percent sure why. in case of an accident to some extent, but that's not the real reason. the video is amazing. especially cutting through downtown chicago at night. i find it beautiful. i'm not sure what to do with the footage yet. it's quickly filling up terabytes of external storage. i'm a photographer -- with a focus on street -- so it's some sort of instinct. i'll make a project out of it. i don't have direction yet.

do you record? if so, why? with what?

Last edited by denada; 03-04-20 at 01:44 AM.
Likes For denada:
Old 03-04-20, 02:52 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I've never done it. Always wanted to see what it was like to look at one of my rides later...
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 03-04-20, 04:22 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
I always love footage of bike rides through cities at night. Record it and put it on Youtube or Vimeo.
Old 03-04-20, 07:25 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
I've got helmet and under-the-saddle cam going on my commute. Usually don't bother saving them unless there's something worth saving. Sometimes I'll pull a few video captures from it, but that's about it. Been doing it for the last three years, and by my calculations, that would be about 7.50 TBs of storage.
Old 03-04-20, 07:34 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 491 Posts
No but I would if it "cost me almost nothing". How to get a free gopro?
How much time to transfer to external storage?
Watching would also be more time.
All this extra time takes away from more biking
Old 03-04-20, 07:56 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by denada
i got a gopro session. it's a gopro hero 4 in a 1.5 inch cube. it cost me almost nothing. i record everything. 1080, 30fps. i'm not 100 percent sure why. in case of an accident to some extent, but that's not the real reason. the video is amazing. especially cutting through downtown chicago at night. i find it beautiful. i'm not sure what to do with the footage yet. it's quickly filling up terabytes of external storage. i'm a photographer -- with a focus on street -- so it's some sort of instinct. i'll make a project out of it. i don't have direction yet.

do you record? if so, why? with what?
I've been recording my rides for almost 6 years now. It's mostly in case something bad happens. Initially I wanted to save everything, but I quickly decided that if nothing remarkable happened to just wipe the card.

At first I was excited to be able to record close calls and instances where drivers were "less than courteous". What I learned was that many times the camera and I "remembered" things differently. What I thought was close, was not so close...and that's not a function of the lens' fish-eye distortion, it's a function of adrenaline-fueled distortion.

I also learned my reaction to events and drivers was not so pretty, and I have learned to not over-react and vent so much.

But another thing I found was that I had a way to capture, edit and save and share all the beauty and excitement of my rides. Granted, the commute routes can get a little stale, but I have enough routes and variations of routes and weather to always find something new every few weeks. The first time I sent my parents a link to some commute videos they were relieved. I had been riding to work for almost 25 years at that point, and they, spending most of their nearly 80 years in Chicago had always assumed the worst when imagining my rides. Of course, I had grown up riding my bike in Chicago in the most irresponsible and dangeroous ways, so I guess that didn't help their imagination any.

WIth social media and the internet, I can also share rides with friends and family here, and across the globe. Itherwise, all my wife knows about my riding is the neon geek who leaves the house, and the sweaty, greasy mess that shows up afterwards.

And then there's me. I like to go back and look at some of the rides and remember the joy of the experiences. I supose without a camera, I'd journal about my rides. I work in audio and video production, so I have a library of music to pick and edit the rides to. I usually erase the source files after editing, so the storage needs aren't great.

In almost six years, I have used my helmet cam video less than 5 times to record a license plate. And I've only reported it to the cops twice. Usually if there's a dangerous driver I call it in on the cellphone right then.

Editing is the key. It is difficult to sit through un-edited ride video, except that year I was off the bike. It was before I started recording and when I was able to get back on the treadmill I watched other peoples unedited commute footage while I walked and eventually ran. It felt a little like riding, except the videos from countries where they drive on the left...that just hurt my brain.

Here's a link to my Youtube playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/user/bgvideo62/playlists
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 03-04-20, 10:10 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Our local bike club had a special on their annual century a few years back, so I picked up Cycliq front and rear cameras. I'll run them, mostly during my commute, if (a) they're charged and (b) I remember. My wife worries about me, so it's a chance to record any incidents or accidents. But she won't sit through 5 minutes (the default file length) without getting bored and walking off. I honestly can't blame her. The view is much better from 3-4 feet higher, and there's honestly a lot of boring riding from a visual point of view in between the good stuff.
Old 03-04-20, 11:20 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
My wife got me an action cam for Christmas a year ago. I've treated it more like a toy, I haven't wanted to continuously record. I guess I'm not going to get the dash cam meteor strikes or anything like that

And yes, EDITING
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-04-20, 11:32 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I use a GoPro Hero 7 Black currently mounted on the front of my helmet. I don't record the whole ride (batteries don't last long enough) but take 10 to 45 second clips when I see something or record the time, mileage, average speed, and riding time. I then join them to together and upload to Youtube. The best ones are when I am on rides with other cyclists.
Old 03-04-20, 12:54 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I do, watching them helps me fall asleep from boredom. after a ride, I'll edit a a cpl minutes together & throw them up on youtube, then delete them from my camera card. no need to save stuff I'll never watch

but seriously
I turn my cam on & off as I ride. better to edit in the camera rather than have enormous single files to deal with
I try not to turn on the camera when it is in my pocket ... DOH!
I record intersections & areas that are highlights for me, like sections I affectionately label as "kill zones"
other highlights for me are tricky traffic sections
for my own memory sake, it's helpful to edit a final cut that represents the entire commute
I do sometimes upload to youtube single clips of a particular highlight because the rest of the ride had nothing to offer, or because I wanted to share that highlight on one of the threads here
I have found it useful to review my riding behavior to be safer
if you don't mind getting flamed, share them on a thread & see if anyone has anything to offer. I had a particular hill I was riding too recklessly & it was good to get a kick in the pants here
I have decided that 1-4 minutes is tolerable where the connected clips are 5-30 seconds long
it's more interesting to add titles & captions
I don't load the files onto any computer for editing, I just connect the camera & let the program suck it in for the editing session. I save the final movie to a computer then upload it. when it's working I delete the final cut from my computer

this is my 22 mile commute home. I don't recommend watching it

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-04-20 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-04-20, 02:33 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I have recorded occasionally. I don't record everything as I could do nothing with 5h+ of footage every week.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 03-04-20, 02:49 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I got a Fly12. Not so much for me, as for my heirs and estate.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-04-20, 03:04 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,912 Times in 1,781 Posts
I got a gopro clone for like $25 several years ago. It's old enough that it maxes out at a 32 gb card. I have a mount for it under my computer but I've never gotten around to actually putting it on there. Sometimes I think I should, but I know I'm too lazy to edit/do anything with the footage. Probably make my wife happier to know I have it on there though.
Likes For himespau:
Old 03-04-20, 04:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
I haven't recorded because I haven't wanted to spend the money on the equipment. Now a friend just gave me her old GoPro 3+. I haven't tried it yet. If I do record my commute and show it to you folks, you will vomit. The conditions here are horrendous.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-05-20, 04:59 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Do you record?
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I do, watching them helps me fall asleep from boredom. …but seriously…

for my own memory sake, it's helpful to edit a final cut that represents the entire commute
I do sometimes upload to youtube single clips of a particular highlight because the rest of the ride had nothing to offer, or because I wanted to share that highlight on one of the threads here
if you don't mind getting flamed, share them on a thread & see if anyone has anything to offer. I had a particular hill I was riding too recklessly & it was good to get a kick in the pants here
I have decided that 1-4 minutes is tolerable where the connected clips are 5-30 seconds long
it's more interesting to add titles & captions
I don't load the files onto any computer for editing, I just connect the camera & let the program suck it in for the editing session. I save the final movie to a computer then upload it. when it's working I delete the final cut from my computer

this is my 22 mile commute home [summer rush hour 6 28 19]. I don't recommend watching it
https://youtu.be/6DD5NP-xROQ
@Hey rumrunn6,

Thanks for the video,and I did peruse it. If I may ask where did you ride. I have posted,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...I in turn often ask people where they live, because invariably I have ridden in their neighborhood, and that question usually sparks an engaging conversation.
Your video nicely captures and reminds me of the joys of summer cycling, and I better get my @$$ bike in gear now in the tail of winter and into spring to prepare.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 03-05-20, 05:43 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

where did you ride
awww thanks, I actually added captions for most of the towns on that “metrowest” route Tewksbury, Billerica, Bedford, Concord, West Concord, Acton & Stowish. Yesterday I started seriously considering using a “Park & Pedal” lot approx. 1/2 way between work & home. 2 options are available cutting the ride from 22 miles to 12 or 9. gonna have to do some test runs. one option can include a portion of the unpaved Narrow Gauge trail but since the north end us so soft & rough I made just use Springs Rd, Bedford
Old 03-05-20, 05:52 AM
Jim from Boston

ɅɅɅ
I record intersections & areas that are highlights for me, like sections I affectionately label as "kill zones"
other highlights for me are tricky traffic sections…

I previously posted to this thread:
Originally Posted by Bicycle2Work
"As a Bike Commuter - What kind of video content would you want to see?"

Hi Everyone!

I'm a long-time bike commuter who has started a YouTube channel that's about bike commuting. I'm going to initially be making videos for newbies and beginners who are thinking about bike commuting.

Content such as..
  • what type of bike do I need for bike commuting?
  • is bike commuting safe?
  • Tips for Cleaning Up after Biking to Work
But for you long time commuters...is there any content that you would be genuinely interested in watching that is related to bike commuting? Maybe short interviews of bike commuters and their experience?

Looking for help and suggestions! Thanks
@Paul Barnard asked this question, “Has A&S Changed Your Behavior?" (link).

So in answer to what I think would be sobering yet important messages to commuters would be videos of dangerous situations such as:

"Police urged to charge passenger after cyclist car-doored in CBD"

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...318-34zr2.html

and
Originally Posted by JW Fas
"Cyclist Rear Ended at 55mph"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYMKp71vW-I

A news article also indicated he needed facial reconstructive surgery:

https://www.kyma.com/news/cyclists-r...own/1079075565!
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Terrifying!
Thanks to @JW Fas for posting this video. I have posted about learning safety either by experience or vicariously, and this is the best training video I have seen about “bailing out.”

So as a bailout training video, I have to consider how I would react to a quickly upcoming car, and make the decision to bail, especially with an inhospitable shoulder.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-05-20 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-05-20, 06:22 AM
Jim from Boston

Hey rumrunn6,

Thanks for the video,and I did peruse it. If I may ask where did you ride. I have posted:
...I in turn often ask people where they live, because invariably I have ridden in their neighborhood, and that question usually sparks an engaging conversation.
Your video nicely captures and reminds me of the joys of summer cycling, and I better get my @$$ bike in gear now in the tail of winter and into spring to prepare .
awww thanks, I actually added captions for most of the towns on that “metrowest” route Tewksbury, Billerica, Bedford, Concord, West Concord, Acton & Stowish
Thanks for the reply. FYA, and for those who don’t know Metro Boston, I have posted about that region on my informal Cyclist’s Guide to Metro Boston:
…I think of the area in sectors radiating from downtown and surrounded by a circumferential belt about 10 to 15 miles from Downtown, known as Route 128 ("America's Technology Highway"). ..

I would describe the sectors as (mostly for road riding outside of Rte 128):…

Northern Suburbs: Lynnfield, Reading, Wilmington, Woburn, down through Winchester, etc: Pleasant suburban to rural inland roads.

Western: Lincoln, Lexington, Concord, Wayland, etc: Very ritzy, buccolic and historic; very popular for riding. This area IMO has the steepest hills.

Metrowest: Framingham, Natick; pleasant suburbs though pretty commercial along Rte 9...
though Tewksbury, Billerica, and Stow are outside my usual "sphere on influence" from downtown Boston, especially since most of my commuting and road riding is south of the Olde Towne:
Southwest: Needham, Wellesley, Dover, Medfield, Walpole, Westwood, etc: probably more popular than the western burbs; wealthy exurban to rural, moderately hilly country roads, horse farms, mansions.

South; Norwood, Canton, Randolph, etc: middle class suburbia; rideable

South Shore beyond Quincy and Weymouth and into Hingham, Scituate, Marshfield, etc: Atlantic coastal, nice riding

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-05-20 at 06:50 AM. Reason: added my routes
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 03-05-20, 07:31 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

...this is my 22 mile commute home. I don't recommend watching it
Those weird-angle intersections and junctions are so New England. And the narrow shoulders and roads are typical for older towns and cities. I like how you give a small wave to stopped cross traffic...I find I do that more and more.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 03-05-20, 07:32 AM
BobbyG

Originally Posted by noglider
I haven't recorded because I haven't wanted to spend the money on the equipment. Now a friend just gave me her old GoPro 3+. I haven't tried it yet. If I do record my commute and show it to you folks, you will vomit. The conditions here are horrendous.
I, for one, would love to see your commute!
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 03-05-20, 07:38 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by noglider
a friend just gave me her old GoPro 3+. I haven't tried it yet. If I do record my commute and show it to you folks, you will vomit. The conditions here are horrendous.
lol, well now you're gonna have to
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-05-20, 07:41 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by BobbyG
Those weird-angle intersections and junctions are so New England
oh thanks for picking up on that. I thought I added a caption for the double-reverse-wishbone (but that may be in another vid on another day). it's brutal in a car. I think I get more courtesy on a bike. & waving ..., yeah why not? right?

& taking the lane on Main St as I approach Elm St is important. timing that is tricky tho. the sun can be blinding to me heading West in the evening. even tho the incoming/opposing traffic from Elm St can see me cuz the sun is in my face, it's good to have a strong front strobe there. that plus taking the lane helps make that incoming/opposing traffic from Elm St stop & wait for me to pass

by far the trickiest spot may be going from the shoulder, to taking the lane that cars use to enter a highway entrance ramp as they accelerate & then crossing over again to the thru lane to continue over the highway (Route 3). this illustraion may not be accurate cuz I doing the lane switching before this point, but I wanted to show the interchange situation & didn't want to post a humongous photo

it really helps me to watch how I handle these spots on different days so I can do it better. doesn't change the tough spot, but I think I get better at them after seeing them over & over

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-05-20 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-05-20, 07:46 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by himespau
I got a gopro clone for like $25 several years ago. It's old enough that it maxes out at a 32 gb card. I have a mount for it under my computer but I've never gotten around to actually putting it on there. Sometimes I think I should, but I know I'm too lazy to edit/do anything with the footage. Probably make my wife happier to know I have it on there though.
give to gopro a go! ;-) can you turn it on & off so that you don't have so much to review later? maybe just record the intersections? & re: editing yeah I never wanted to go thru all that. that's what got me started recording just short clips. but then after seeing other ppl here, I have to admit I got a little envious so when I has some time I tried a cpl programs on a cpl computers I have access to. the native windows program "Windows Live Movie Maker" is pretty easy to use. weird thing tho when I use my home computer it drops the audio, so I use my work computer. but lately my favorite routine is using my home MAC w/ an early version of iMovie
Old 03-05-20, 08:07 AM
rumrunn6

metrowest commute
I think someone posted a thread about the Strava golden triangle of inactivity which my commute falls partly into

Old 03-05-20, 08:11 AM
rumrunn6

reminds me of the joys of summer cycling
but don't forget the agony ... don't want to highjack the thread but I did a 90+ degree hot day hill climb home commute tribute. I'm sure it's agonizingly boring, but here it is

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.