Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Is anyone rethinking or changing their touring plans because of COVID-19?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Is anyone rethinking or changing their touring plans because of COVID-19?

Old 03-12-20, 02:42 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s View Post
Any country with government-controlled media and healthcare is suspect, and those that depend heavily on tourism are even more questionable. They have a strong self-interest to minimize or cover up. Thailand fits into that category.
"Government-controlled healthcare"? That sounds like a political statement to me. There are numerous countries with "government-controlled healthcare" which are probably among the most trustworthy concerning the coronavirus information they've released.
Old 03-12-20, 03:40 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 143 Posts
I prefer bike forums to be free of politics. I have strong political views as I am sure that many of you do too, I work very hard at keeping politics out of my posts and I thank others that also do the same.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 03-13-20, 05:25 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Comotion Divide, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Dandelion Dream Tandem

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
Another twist: my spouse is a healthcare worker. 2 days ago they instituted a new policy: do not leave the state (Maine) and do not interact with people who arrived from another state. In case of contact - 14 days self quarantine. They locked down the doors and do not let anyone into the senior facility unless fully checked and vetted.
This also means that I can not travel outside of the state because once I return home she would have to self quarantine and thus impact her employment or vacation time.
Old 03-13-20, 05:29 AM
djb

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1548 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus View Post
Another twist: my spouse is a healthcare worker. 2 days ago they instituted a new policy: do not leave the state (Maine) and do not interact with people who arrived from another state. In case of contact - 14 days self quarantine. They locked down the doors and do not let anyone into the senior facility unless fully checked and vetted.
This also means that I can not travel outside of the state because once I return home she would have to self quarantine and thus impact her employment or vacation time.
hear you there PW. I work in elder care and this certainly adds in another wrench into things re plans, specifically wanting to visit my family in Scotland and combine it with a bike trip....
Old 03-13-20, 07:53 AM
Lanesplitter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I guess it goes without saying how all touring --worldwide--is now affected and will be for at least a few months. I suppose most will either cancel anything before at least June, or do a modest tour close to home, which is what I might do, soon as it warms up just a little more. If I start to feel ill, I'll head home. That, or if the US becomes as Italy is, which is our apparent trajectory. Then it might be untenable to tour, as one can only carry a few days of food on a bike, and there might not be supplies available in small towns. Campgrounds might be closed too.

Last edited by Lanesplitter; 03-13-20 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-13-20, 08:09 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
I have a summer trip to the UK planned. When I booked the flight it cost me $700 - the same return flight to day costs $400. But as it stands today there are no restrictions for me flying between the US and the UK and maybe things will have calmed down by the time Iím scheduled to fly. So Iím just waiting right now.
Old 03-13-20, 01:10 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: Miele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno SL, Miele MTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 291 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
I prefer bike forums to be free of politics. I have strong political views as I am sure that many of you do too, I work very hard at keeping politics out of my posts and I thank others that also do the same.
Yes and I try to do the same. Besides, politics or religion in posts will get the entire thread moved to Politics & Religion.

Back to the topic at hand.

I get a family member to drive me to the start of my tour if I don't start from home. I'm thereafter self-supported on my tour and I camp but don't use public campgrounds. I ask a farmer if I can camp overnight at the edge of one of their fields and I offer to pay them for that. I also tell them that I practice "Leave no trace" camping. Therefore, so far, this virus hasn't affected my touring plans for this year.

Cheers
Old 03-15-20, 04:13 AM
ricrunner

Bikes: Malvern Star Oppy S1 Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ricrunner View Post
No one is wearing masks in my area except for one person I met today whom has a flu and chest infection. She can't get tested because the government, says only people that can be tested are those whom have been overseas or has been near someone whom has been overseas, or near someone that has the virus. But I am considering going to an out of the way bush camp, for an unspecified extended time, until this blows over. It is a days ride from home and 10km from a town in the bush , that I can resupply from. It is on a clean flowing river, that has fish. It is upstream of any town, so no pollution. This is what I think I will do. will not see any people there so will be safe for dog and I. I wont be doing any other touring other than bush camping. Will be extra careful going in for resupply..
Went to bush camp, today Sunday 15 Mar, to leave 6 weeks worth of food. The camp, has a pit toilet, a fireplace ( which I am less likely to use, as have plenty of gas), left fishing gear. As I only eat two meals a day when not cycling, and sometimes only one meal, I can push this cache out a fair bit. Have enough food for two month's for the dog as well. Am actually looking forward to it, but it will only be in the tent, and do have late Autumn and early winter to look forward to. Here's hoping the people in the know get on top of this before I need to leave in 10 days time.
Old 03-15-20, 06:27 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 43 Posts
update from the semi-epicenter: hainan is coming up on 3 weeks with no new
cases. holding steady at 168, with only 2 remaining in hospital.

our small town (250k in city, 500k in admin district) is still looking like the
tail end of lunar new year.

our apartment complex has loosened access rules! we can now finally go out
together, every day, multiple trips! we still have to update our QR-code every
three days, and there are constant temperature checks.

so tonight we hit the ice cream parlour (no other customers), and the burger
master (4 customers dining in). stopped off at a local college to walk a few
laps around the track, then picked up some cakes from a bakery. two city
bus lines are running at reduced schedule, with few riders. traffic is picking
up and more shops and restaurants are open. one small group of dancing
grannies in the park next door with their ultrasonic boom box.

schools still don't have permission to open. students will be having
online classes, probably until the end of april. otherwise semesters
would be extended into the summer. 14-day quarantine is still
being enforced on anyone arriving from the mainland.

don't understand what's going on with the folks stateside - runs on
toilet paper and ammunition? outside of wuhan, there was no panic.
there were no shortages of anything - other than the usual running
out of perishables because of the lunar new year shutdown. only
worry we had was bottled water, as the delivery guys stayed home
an extra couple weeks. 1.5l bottles still available in stores though.

there was a shortage of (useless) masks the first week, but quickly
resolved. some of the tech factories with clean rooms were
repurposed to produce masks and other sterile items. guess
central planning authority has rare advantages.

if you can enforce the quarantines, you'll get through it and life
can start to return to normal. our main concern is what happens
when thousands of students return to the local colleges. many
will be coming from the mainland, to be stuffed into dorms 8
to a room, and packed into crowded dining halls.

anyhoo, i'm planning on going to a nearby college to use the
running track this evening, and if the rain stops, maybe a bike
ride into the countryside (steal some papayas!) tomorrow.
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 03-15-20, 06:47 AM
djb

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1548 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 189 Posts
Thanks for the update Mr sores,
here in Canada eh we are just getting into the closing of everything stage, and rightfully so to keep the numbers low to avoid over taxing health system. "Flatten the curve"
so closed schools, old folks homes, libraries, arenas, pools etc etc.

looking more and more unlikely for any UK traveling for now.
Old 03-15-20, 06:58 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by saddlesores View Post
don't understand what's going on with the folks stateside - runs on
toilet paper and ammunition? ....
Toilet paper:
According to an article in Financial Times dated February 17, thieves held up a store to steal a delivery of toilet paper in Hong Kong. There were concerns that supplies from Mainland China would be disrupted for a long time, thus the panic buying.
A March 2 article in Nikkei Asian Review described shortages in Tokyo of toilet paper in stores.
And a March 3 article in Financial Times described hoarding toilet paper in Japan.
Apparently it is human nature to buy it when panic buying, not just in USA but elsewhere. There has been panic buying of toilet paper in USA too, plus some other odd things.

Ammo:
I have not heard that, but there are people that see more ammo as the solution to all problems, real or perceived, so if there is panic buying of that it does not surprise me.

When I see things on very good sale prices that have a long or infinite shelf life, I stock up. Have not bought any toilet paper for over a year, still have a good supply from those two 60 roll packages I got for $10 each over a year ago.

A lot of people here in USA are stocking up on canned goods, many of which have way too much sodium and sugars. So, if there is any large scale quarantines, the population will probably have more high blood pressure problems.
Old 03-15-20, 07:51 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: Early 90's Ochsner road, 2006 Schwinn SS DBX, 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 1989? Fuji Ace, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 169 Posts
I drive a school bus in south-coastal Delaware, Public schools are closed for the next 2 weeks. Time will tell if it is to last longer. I had been planning on some cred-card touring the Natchez Trace area over spring break, 4/10-4/20. I would not be surprised to see a revision of that time off, and the end date of the school year. State of emergency is in effect, and by law, the lost school days are not required to be made up. But, the option to do that is open. Traveling will probably be a problem at that point, anyway. While I am off, I will be getting in longer rides, here locally, carrying my supplies with me, and spend nights at home. I have plenty to do to keep me occupied around the homestead.

I have a project to finally get started on. I now have everything on hand to build a NIB Soma Smoothie, Smoothie CF fork. I am using a new 105 7000 complete group set, which just arrived. I have an assortment of new or lightly used components and accessories. And a new set of wheels, Pro-Lite Bortola.
Old 03-15-20, 10:23 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1618 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 329 Posts
I feel confident in our health system response but a little sad at the displays of panic behavior. I believe we can cope with most things if we just keep our cool and the weird behaviors doesn't help anyone. I wish people could remember it's times of stress like this that demonstrate our character or lack thereof. Perhaps it's been too long since we've had to pull together instead of tear each other down.

The border situation has developed quickly! We have been told now that cross border to the US is a no go. I live 5 minutes from a major crossing and remember this happening just after 9/11 for a bit while we figured out where the threat was coming from.

It looks like domestic travel is a good bet for this up coming travel season.
Old 03-15-20, 12:13 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by Happy Feet View Post
The border situation has developed quickly! We have been told now that cross border to the US is a no go. I live 5 minutes from a major crossing and remember this happening just after 9/11 for a bit while we figured out where the threat was coming from.
EDITED: I misunderstood someones post, I removed the text that I wrote here to avoid causing any confusion.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 03-15-20 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-15-20, 01:27 PM
axolotl

I had not heard that land border(s) to USA were closed. I am surprised that the word did not get out.
Border crossings between Canada & the USA are not closed at this time. But BC health officials are urging British Columbians to not travel internationally including the USA because of the significant outbreak in Washington.
Old 03-15-20, 02:55 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: Miele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno SL, Miele MTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, VeloSport Adamas AX

Spain is banning all bicycling there.

Cheers
Old 03-15-20, 03:14 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Toilet paper...
It's because of people like this that you can't find things you need to purchase in a responsible manner:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/t...n-sellers.html

All NYT Covid news is free to read with email or google logon.
Old 03-15-20, 03:42 PM
axolotl

Originally Posted by Miele Man View Post

Cheers
To be clear, Spain & Italy have banned recreational cycling due to the coronavirus outbreak and the resultant current restrictions in both countries on freedom of movement.

https://www.brujulabike.com/cycling-...n-Coronavirus/
Likes For axolotl:
Old 03-15-20, 03:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10811 Post(s)
Liked 2,311 Times in 1,305 Posts

Cheers
Stop. Itís banning recreational cycling. Read your own darn link you posted in your thread in General.
Old 03-15-20, 03:56 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Stop. Itís banning recreational cycling. Read your own darn link you posted in your thread in General.
And all t he bicyclists riding will have to be able to prove they're doing it for a non-recreational reason.

Cheers
Old 03-15-20, 04:30 PM
indyfabz

And all t he bicyclists riding will have to be able to prove they're doing it for a non-recreational reason.

Cheers
What does that have to do with you posting a falsehood?
Old 03-15-20, 04:54 PM
Miele Man

What does that have to do with you posting a falsehood?
Okay, so I forgot to include the word "recreational" in my post. Sorry about that mistake. I'm trying to get in touch with a number of friends and relatives and am unable to do so. Thus, my concentration isn't the best at this time.

Stay safe.

Cheers
Old 03-15-20, 05:18 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Comotion Divide, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Dandelion Dream Tandem

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
I just heard on Czech Radio news the government is restricting any nonessential movement out and about. You can go buy groceries as long as You observe 7 foot distance, You can travel to work but are encouraged to work from home if you can. That is about it.

On a lighter note, here in Maine, we pulled out our tandem bike for the first time this season today. The roads were unusually quiet for the entire ride with very light traffic. A sad benefit.

Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 03-15-20, 05:31 PM
indyfabz

Okay, so I forgot to include the word "recreational" in my post. Sorry about that mistake. I'm trying to get in touch with a number of friends and relatives and am unable to do so. Thus, my concentration isn't the best at this time.

Stay safe.

Cheers
I would believe the above if it had been your first response to my comment. It wasnít.

Adios.
Old 03-15-20, 05:35 PM
Miele Man

I would believe the above if it had been your first response to my comment. It wasnít.

Adios.
That's entirely up to you but frankly I don't care what you believe. It was a simple mistake but some on these forums can't accept that sometimes people make a mistake.

I'm done here.

Cheers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.