Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Is anyone rethinking or changing their touring plans because of COVID-19?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Is anyone rethinking or changing their touring plans because of COVID-19?

Old 03-15-20, 06:30 PM
djb

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1548 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus View Post
On a lighter note, here in Maine, we pulled out our tandem bike for the first time this season today. The roads were unusually quiet for the entire ride with very light traffic. A sad benefit.
hey there PW, that certainly looks like a Jones?
The guy I bought my wifes Troll from had one, pretty snazzy front ends.
Old 03-15-20, 06:34 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Comotion Divide, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Dandelion Dream Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
no it is not Jones. I like to drink his coolaid but the price to value ratio is out of whack. The bike and fork came from Carver in Bath Maine. I was inspired by Jones and asked about such fork when I visited Carver and they were able to source the frame and fork from their 'people'

I bought the frame raw and had it painted... the idea was ... I did not want to pay the retail from Co-Motion so I ended up getting a Ti frame and ended up paying about the same as a brand new Co-Motion...so I got a deal, I suppose if one believes in material advantage but money wise it was all the same and maybe, just maybe the co-motion rides better but I will never know :-)

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 03-15-20 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-15-20, 06:48 PM
djb

well, pretty cool bike nonetheless. As you have figured out by now, I love all stuff bike, so its a pretty neat looking bike.
cheers
happy spring riding
Old 03-15-20, 06:51 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Comotion Divide, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Dandelion Dream Tandem

I love Your posts. If we ever come closer to Your province I'll send a note ... maybe we'll meet one day and have quick beer or ride.

Originally Posted by djb View Post
well, pretty cool bike nonetheless. As you have figured out by now, I love all stuff bike, so its a pretty neat looking bike.
cheers
happy spring riding
Old 03-15-20, 09:36 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 143 Posts
On a lighter note, here in Maine, we pulled out our tandem bike for the first time this season today. The roads were unusually quiet for the entire ride with very light traffic. A sad benefit.
Trying to figure out how you shift the bike, it was not obvious in the photos. I have a Hubbub adapter to put the shifter on the right side handle bar end on my Rohloff drop bar bike.
Old 03-16-20, 04:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10811 Post(s)
Liked 2,311 Times in 1,305 Posts
Rode around downtown Philly yesterday. Way less car and foot traffic than usual for a nice Sunday.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-16-20, 05:37 AM
PedalingWalrus

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
Trying to figure out how you shift the bike, it was not obvious in the photos. I have a Hubbub adapter to put the shifter on the right side handle bar end on my Rohloff drop bar bike.

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 03-16-20 at 05:44 AM. Reason: oops. looks like my focus was off but you get the idea
Old 03-16-20, 06:20 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

That looks like the Van Nicholas handlebar with the Rohloff shifter. I considered that but decided to put my shifter on the bar end. I have bar end shifters on several other bikes, so I am used to reaching down there to shift. And if I am on gravel or other difficult terrain and am riding slow up a hill, i wanted to get the shifter out to the end of the handlebar for more leverage steering while also being able to shift. That way I can have both hands on the bar for steering with some leverage and be able to shift at the same time.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 03-16-20, 08:50 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Thank goodness for the Surly TV Tray Rack.

Old 03-16-20, 09:24 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1618 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet View Post
I feel confident in our health system response but a little sad at the displays of panic behavior. I believe we can cope with most things if we just keep our cool and the weird behaviors doesn't help anyone. I wish people could remember it's times of stress like this that demonstrate our character or lack thereof. Perhaps it's been too long since we've had to pull together instead of tear each other down.

The border situation has developed quickly! We have been told now that cross border to the US is a no go. I live 5 minutes from a major crossing and remember this happening just after 9/11 for a bit while we figured out where the threat was coming from.

It looks like domestic travel is a good bet for this up coming travel season.
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
EDITED: I misunderstood someones post, I removed the text that I wrote here to avoid causing any confusion.
Originally Posted by axolotl View Post
Border crossings between Canada & the USA are not closed at this time. But BC health officials are urging British Columbians to not travel internationally including the USA because of the significant outbreak in Washington.
Yes, I believe this is more accurate. Sorry for any confusion.

The warning was in two parts: a.) That we cannot verify the preventative measures being taken internationally (they consider the US international) and b.) that should that country, or ours, change the border crossing policy you may find yourself stuck in place until a quarantine period is over. That has some ramifications in regard to health care should you fall ill while visiting.

It's a little confused still so they have strongly suggested don't cross for now. I would be more concerned about b. from a rapidly developing policy perspective than a.
Old 03-16-20, 10:14 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Looks like my Cape York (Queensland, Australia) tour is on hold for July because of border closures in Australia. While it is 4 months away, I doubt that the border restrictions and quarantines will be stopped by then. Scarey stuff...
Old 03-16-20, 11:02 AM
Tourist in MSN

The warning was in two parts: a.) That we cannot verify the preventative measures being taken internationally (they consider the US international) and b.) that should that country, or ours, change the border crossing policy you may find yourself stuck in place until a quarantine period is over. That has some ramifications in regard to health care should you fall ill while visiting.
Yeah, the people in DC often forget that land borders are quite different and need different procedures, especially the northern border because there are people that live on one side of the border and work on the other side, etc. I have been on many camping trips in Northern Minnesota near or on the border. There the border sometimes looks like the photo.

One of my bicycles, I bought the frame and fork used from someone in Canada. He wanted X number of dollars plus shipping cost. I was concerned about shipping cost from Canada to USA, he said not a problem, he would drive across the border and ship it from USA to avoid that. And he accepted payment in USD which also simplified it.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 03-16-20 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-16-20, 11:52 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1618 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 329 Posts
Talk about timing. PM currently giving a press conference on TV saying non residents banned from entry to Canada. US status still being considered.
Old 03-16-20, 12:04 PM
indyfabz

A guy on the large FB group I am a member of posted asking for advice. He's currently touring and is in Barcelona. As you may have read, Spain is banning/has banned all RECREATIONAL for the nonce. He was asking if anyone knows a place where he might be able to camp. He's currently staying in some flat, but the permanent resident is returning and needs the space back. He was leaning toward going to the police for written permission to move about on his bike once he finds a potential place he can move to.

Doesn't sound like a good situation to be in.
Old 03-16-20, 12:22 PM
djb

Talk about timing. PM currently giving a press conference on TV saying non residents banned from entry to Canada. US status still being considered.
quoted from the CBC:Canada is barring entry to all travellers who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced today one of a set of extraordinary new measures being introduced to stop the spread of COVID-19.

There will be exceptions for air crew, diplomats, immediate family members of citizens and, "at this time," U.S. citizens, Trudeau said.

The prime minister also said no one who is displaying symptoms will be permitted to board a flight to Canada, and that air operators will be required to complete a basic health assessment of every passenger based on guidelines from the Public Health Agency of Canada.

"I know this news will spark concern among Canadians travelling abroad. I want to assure you that our government will not leave you unsupported," he said.

"To help asymptomatic Canadians to return home, our government will set up a support program for Canadians who need to get on a plane. Canadian travellers will be able to get financial assistance to help them with the costs of returning home or temporarily covering basic needs while they wait to come back to Canada."

Trudeau also said as of March 18, international flights will be permitted to land only at the international airports in Montreal, Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver, in order to enhance screening.
Old 03-16-20, 12:37 PM
PedalingWalrus

Morocco is not on the ban list. You can (theoretically) fly from there to the US

of course, Morocco is a fine destination to bicycle by itself and (in theory) the further south you go in Africa the 'safer' you are from Covid.

Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
A guy on the large FB group I am a member of posted asking for advice. He's currently touring and is in Barcelona. As you may have read, Spain is banning/has banned all RECREATIONAL for the nonce. He was asking if anyone knows a place where he might be able to camp. He's currently staying in some flat, but the permanent resident is returning and needs the space back. He was leaning toward going to the police for written permission to move about on his bike once he finds a potential place he can move to.

Doesn't sound like a good situation to be in.

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 03-16-20 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-16-20, 12:48 PM
indyfabz

Morocco is not on the ban list. You can (theoretically) fly from there to the US
He's not American, and it doesn't sound like he has a helluva a lot of money as he posted that a hotel is out of the question financially. Wonder if he can catch a bus or train to a ferry to Africa. I know you can get to Morocco from Algeciras, but maybe there is a port closer to Barcelona.
Old 03-16-20, 12:54 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 95 Posts
Maybe ride to Portugal or France if the situation is better in either country. Or Andorra. Not recreational if you are traveling to another location, although it may be a challenge to prove.
Old 03-16-20, 02:15 PM
JayKay3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
Have plans, but watching how things turn out.
Old 03-16-20, 05:46 PM
robow

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Well this stinks, the first tour of the season which was to start next weekend has been cancelled by my buddies. Apparently a lot of the state parks and potential Corps of Engineer campgrounds are closed or questionable. Even some of the restaurants along the route will not be open. Much of our planned route was to be very rural and somewhat desolate and dependent on being able to pick up supplies, and soooo we'll see if our April trip will make.
Old 03-16-20, 06:29 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 32 Posts
I'm not sure if a late spring/early summer GAP tour will be possible. The rate things are closing down, I wouldn't be surprised if campgrounds get closed too. Wanted to go to Vermont for season-end ski trip but resorts have closed. DC area bike paths have been quite busy the past week.
Old 03-17-20, 07:01 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by robow View Post
Apparently a lot of the state parks and potential Corps of Engineer campgrounds are closed or questionable.
Looks like I could be in the same boat. Have a four-day scheduled to start Holy Thursday. The first campground I am supposed to stay at is a state forest in NJ. All state parks and forests are open for passive activities only. Campground and bathrooms are closed. There is a private campground near by. I will have to check the status. It may not be open in April.

The second and third nights are booked at a state park in Delaware. As of now, it's fully open. I also need to check a ferry operation.

Edit: Just checked the ferry. Starting tomorrow no foot traffic will be allowed, and passengers must stay in their cars for the duration of the trip except to use the restroom. Time to think about a plan B.

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-17-20 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-17-20, 08:30 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 134 Posts
Gotta update my status, with work slowdowns we're having to conserve a bit which may kill one of the two planned trips, both also rely on campgrounds that may or may not be open. We'll have to see what happens as we get closer. Erie Canal trip was going to be early june, might end up pushing it to kids vacation in Sept for the Jewish holidays. I just bought a C-dale tandem for the purpose of the trip, so it has a small back that with the crank extender will let both older kids fit it while pilling the trail-a-bike.
Old 03-17-20, 06:00 PM
Papa Tom

Bikes: The same GT Outpost Mountain bike I've been riding since 1996, although I modify it throughout the year for commuting, touring, and recreational riding.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 51 Posts
Russ brings up a good point, one that I, perhaps like many others, have been sweeping under the carpet while the debate continues about when the virus will end. What I'm afraid to think about right now is where my finances will be when the last germ finally keels over and dies. I've had the luxury of taking a couple of long weekends on the bike each summer, riding ferries, staying in hotels, and going out to nice dinners after the ride. I work for the local township and we just got sent home for (at least) two weeks (with pay), but who knows what the next step will be. A furlough WITHOUT pay? Layoffs? And meanwhile, my wife and I haven't even dared look at how much we have lost in our retirement plan since last week.

Changing plans due to Coronavirus seemed like a "Nah, what for?" question last week. Now, it seems like the decision might be made for us, not only by the virus, but by the economic hardship it will likely lead to.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 03-17-20, 06:51 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
And meanwhile, my wife and I haven't even dared look at how much we have lost in our retirement plan since last week
Ostrich much? Better hold on to that old underwear. 😀

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.