Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Is anyone rethinking or changing their touring plans because of COVID-19?

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Is anyone rethinking or changing their touring plans because of COVID-19?

Old 04-10-20, 02:32 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Its officially a "plandemic".

My plans of traveling to the states this summer, are becoming more of a joke every day.

Old 04-10-20, 03:03 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR View Post
My plans of traveling to the states this summer, are becoming more of a joke every day.
we were planning to return to thailand for the summer, but thailand is locked down.
no foreigners allowed in, only 200 thais per day, if they can find a flight.
if they do open again, we'll have 2 weeks of quarantine each way.

we've decided to extend here another year, so will just have to spend the summer in hainan.
no point in going to the mainland. will take hunny bunny to some scenic sights here on
the island, maybe get a short tour or two in as well, depending on hotel status.
Old 04-10-20, 06:14 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Destination unknown.

Mt. Fuji, August 2018.

Death Valley, 2012.

I'm so tired of the mainland, yet my wife seems to be content almost anywhere there is people.
Likes For SHBR:
Old 04-13-20, 06:52 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
'Interesting to me how my own response to this question keeps changing as the days and weeks go on. Suddenly, a summer without rolling my bike onto Long Island's Cross-Sound Ferry, into a New England hotel, and up to my favorite tourist town cafe is not looking so far-fetched. If the 1918 pandemic is any indication, even when the worst is over, traveling with large groups of people and lodging where strangers have slept will still be a very risky proposition. I am really sad.
Me too. My May trip cancelled. My June trip for a charity event will surely cancel. And I've been avoiding all group rides, and all activity with my cycling buddies, which was a significantly large part of my social life.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-13-20, 07:50 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 32 Posts
[QUOTE=SHBR;21410665]Destination unknown.

Mt. Fuji, August 2018./QUOTE]

That cycle station on Mt Fuji is a nice touch. In re 2020 trip to the States, I wouldn't give up hope yet, things might be pretty clear by June.
Old 04-14-20, 02:11 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Its killing me, figuratively speaking.

The existential question of life, do I take the high road or the valley of death?
Old 04-16-20, 11:04 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Had a plan for the circle route around Niagara area in Canada for mid May for a couple of days. The border is closed to non-essential traffic and I can't see things getting back to anywhere near normal by then, so that's off. I was thinking of rescheduling for mid-September, but haven't made any definitive plans beyond the "thinking" stage. In reality, it probably won't happen until next year.
Old 04-16-20, 08:34 PM
DropBarFan

USA announces re-opening plans today, doesn't look encouraging in re bike touring let alone everyday things like school, work etc. All the closings are a wild over-reaction IMO.
Old 04-16-20, 09:29 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 11275 Post(s)
Liked 2,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
I was going to go to Wuhan to eat bats, but I guess that's off.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-16-20, 09:50 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I was going to go to Wuhan to eat bats, but I guess that's off.
Old 04-18-20, 08:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10811 Post(s)
Liked 2,311 Times in 1,305 Posts
Good news! Delta has extended its change fee waiver for flights through the end of September. Previously, it only applied to flights through May. Now I can push back my planned June Montana/Idaho tour. I can re-book through September of 2022 if I want to.
Old 04-22-20, 04:58 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 919 Times in 461 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
And thus were 28 new strains of Bat-CoV introduced to the human population.
Old 04-22-20, 05:00 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 919 Times in 461 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan View Post
USA announces re-opening plans today, doesn't look encouraging in re bike touring let alone everyday things like school, work etc. All the closings are a wild over-reaction IMO.
And thus was Bat-CoV immortalized in the human population.
Likes For wgscott:
Old 04-23-20, 07:57 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 163 Posts
Yea ... COVID has messed up my touring plans. I haven't done a tour in years, and I planned to do another leg of the Cycle America X-country ride this year. It was canceled and rescheduled for 2020.

At this rate, I'm really going to be an old fart when I finish.
Old 04-23-20, 07:00 PM
DropBarFan

2019 it rained constantly in the eastern US, didn't stop all touring but certainly, err, put a damper on it. Now 2020 is a total mess.
Old 04-25-20, 12:40 AM
MikeyS

Bikes: Specialized

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Putting together a list of companies trying to fly under the radar with a non-essenti

I posted earlier about a bicycle tour company that was finishing up week-long tours here in Arizona - while the pandemic was/is raging. PAC Tour was the company, and many found their behavior and decision to run tours indefensible - what could go wrong with bringing groups of people together from across the country to ride through local communities?! With a virus that can be carried by someone while not showing symptoms, not a smart move. Of course, riders that can't put off a non-essential trip until a more appropriate time share some responsibility - no matter who the company is. I'd encourage everyone to support those businesses (cycling or otherwise) that do the right thing, depending on regional situations, with cancelling trips for now. If you know of other companies that should be called out, please let all of us know.
Old 04-25-20, 10:10 AM
pfunk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reporter looking for folks who biked their quarantine.

Originally Posted by Lanesplitter View Post
I'm wondering if it might be smart to literally ride this thing out--go on a tour sooner rather than later, as a way of social distancing. In some regards, I seems like it would be easier to avoid being affected if you're out west or somewhere rural,only interacting with people when you need supplies, since it would only be brief interludes, it wouldn't be hard to be hyper vigilant. Luckily, its spring, so there's options to do a door-to-door bike tour, which is vital. Since I live in New England, I'm considering heading to the Adirondacks.
Hello just looking for some people who opted to be out rather than in as they quarantined. Looking for people who spent some time touring and saw your post. Did you end up doing a tour?
Old 04-25-20, 05:30 PM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lanesplitter View Post
Good luck, hope you get to go. I don't know if you're familiar with the area, but the Hocking Hills are definately worth seeing and are most likely on the way where you're riding to.
Totally go for the hills.
Old 04-26-20, 12:54 PM
Lanesplitter

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by pfunk View Post
Hello just looking for some people who opted to be out rather than in as they quarantined. Looking for people who spent some time touring and saw your post. Did you end up doing a tour?
I'm activity planning a tour for june in Michigan. I'll mostly be on tail trails and will stealth camp, if I go. I hope to take an Amtrak to Toledo and bike north. My sisters, nieces and nephews all live in Michigan, so the focus of the trip is to see them for a few weeks. If all goes as planned, I'll ride for 4-6 weeks.
Old 04-26-20, 07:21 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 30 Posts
I sample/census south bound touring cyclists on US 101 two hours a day (my commute time). Then I developed the estimates based on time of day. Iíve a pretty good sampling routine figured out. Normally, by the end April Iíd see the equivalent of about 100+. So far Iíve estimated ~10. So yeah, COVID-19 taking a bite out of west coast touring. 98% are south bound and starting in Victoria/Vancouver BC or Seattle. ~50% are from Europe. Their destination is Frisco, LA, or San Diego.
Old 04-26-20, 08:25 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 260 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
And thus were 28 new strains of Bat-CoV introduced to the human population.
They aren't too bad, the Flying Fox, only two major known viruses, one sometimes fatal to horses and one to humans, but the latter needs you to have a brawl with the bat. https://environment.des.qld.gov.au/w...-foxes/viruses
They are annoying buggers though, used to have a mango tree outside my bedroom, they'd all fight over who's tree it was, all night. Between the flying foxes and the neighbour up the road I got bugger all mangoes off it. (the neighbour would trick my housemates into letting him take my mangoes when I was away OS for work).
Old 04-26-20, 09:54 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 134 Posts
Currently dealing with the distinct possibility of no tour this year. Part of the trip involved leaving the dogs, I have three, at my parent's place for them to take care of. They live upstate and within three hours of our start and stop by car. Unfortunately my father would not survive getting the virus in all likelihood and my sister lives only 4 miles away and interacts with them; if her family gets it things will be bad. Their 10 yo is on steroids and has a compromised immune system, she's overweight and not very healthy and her husband is worse. So unless it really clears up completely over the summer we have to avoid them and one of my dogs is a rescue with anxiety issues who will bite anyone who attempts to put him in a cage so no boarding. He will stay in my parent's pen with the other dogs but if he gets bored or nervous he'll chew his way through the chain link somehow, he's done it twice. MIL is also expecting a visit since we were supposed to visit following easter so maybe a 2-3 day tour of FL is possible without the kids but not likely.
Really is a wait and analyze as summer fully hits.
Old 04-27-20, 12:55 PM
MikeyS

Bikes: Specialized

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No touring until things settle down ...

A lot of times many of us don't realize how much we interact with others while touring - even on a solo tour. Right now, a lot of folks across this country, and internationally, won't be receptive to strangers - and these interactions are typically a highlight of any trip I take. It's not just about me these days when riding/touring, or "my" protection. It's not a particularly big deal postponing a trip right now. I posted earlier that I wouldn't be participating in any organized tours for awhile because 'what could go wrong with bringing people from across the country to ride through local communities'? This is one of the reasons I was so ticked to see Pac Tour (or is it PacTours?) doing their week-long camps here in Arizona recently ... a good definition of being selfish and greedy.

Last edited by MikeyS; 04-27-20 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-28-20, 12:46 AM
djb

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1548 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyS View Post
A lot of times many of us don't realize how much we interact with others while touring - even on a solo tour. Right now, a lot of folks across this country, and internationally, won't be receptive to strangers - and these interactions are typically a highlight of any trip I take. It's not just about me these days when riding/touring, or "my" protection. It's not a particularly big deal postponing a trip right now. I posted earlier that I wouldn't be participating in any organized tours for awhile because 'what could go wrong with bringing people from across the country to ride through local communities'? This is one of the reasons I was so ticked to see Pac Tour (or is it PacTours?) doing their week-long camps here in Arizona recently ... a good definition of being selfish and greedy.
Others have brought this up, but the point about people being less receptive and wary of strangers is a very valid one.
For me as well, interpersonal interactions have always been a big part of my bike touring good memories, and it is totally realistic that people will be wary, and until clear proven situations arrive with the covid19 issue , like a vaccine or it disappearing, both realistically very unlikely in the short term, people in rural areas will be very cautious with us unknown City folks coming around.
And I don't blame them.