Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Help Me Buy My Riv-Ish Bike?

Old 03-23-20, 09:37 PM
reluctantsuburb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime View Post
I read that it was too far to the bars for you so I suggested that you get some bars from Rivendell.

"So my Novarra is a 19" frame, which I believe is too small (likely want a 21" or even 23" frame?). The thing about the geometry that I really dislike though is that the top tube feels very long. I'm now blanking on the measurements, but I want to say it's 23"? It feels like I'm bending over and forward to reach the bars, even with a riser stem."
Yes, I think some Riv bars would fix that part of the problem, but since the bike is too small, I'm not trying to get it super dialed in. My wife rarely rides, and it works for her. Sorry to have gotten my replies split across a few posts now.
Old 03-23-20, 09:39 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by reluctantsuburb View Post
I think this a good suggestion, and based on another post I made, I think an old school, rigid MTB may be my best bet for conversion. The things I see come across my local CL most often are Rock Hoppers and Treks-- anything you'd recommend keeping an eye out for? Most here sell for a steep price bc of their name recognition.
The weird thing is that there seems to be a flipper that concentrates on mtbs in Dallas (this guy: https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bi...097714929.html ) and I think that's driving up the price in your local area. Normally mtbs are a lot cheaper than they are on Dallas CL. Nobody wants to pay $325 for a Bridgestone MB-3. A cool Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue that should normally go under the radar is listed at the dreamland sum of $350. Yuck!

I guess you can always just wait on CL for someone to clean out their garage. It's not like the supply of rigid mtbs are dwindling by that much. Someone else said that if you have a good idea of levels of components, you don't have to have an encyclopedic knowledge of specific makes and models. I'll certainly echo that. But you can see what other forum members are riding here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...bikes-282.html

Yeesh, I missed your guess at a year above. Looks like a very clean 89, no?
Could also be from 1990. It's harder to tell now that the Classic Fuji site is down.
Old 03-24-20, 05:27 AM
reluctantsuburb

Originally Posted by Clang View Post
The weird thing is that there seems to be a flipper that concentrates on mtbs in Dallas (this guy: https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bi...097714929.html ) and I think that's driving up the price in your local area. Normally mtbs are a lot cheaper than they are on Dallas CL. Nobody wants to pay $325 for a Bridgestone MB-3. A cool Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue that should normally go under the radar is listed at the dreamland sum of $350. Yuck!

I guess you can always just wait on CL for someone to clean out their garage. It's not like the supply of rigid mtbs are dwindling by that much. Someone else said that if you have a good idea of levels of components, you don't have to have an encyclopedic knowledge of specific makes and models. I'll certainly echo that. But you can see what other forum members are riding here:

Could also be from 1990. It's harder to tell now that the Classic Fuji site is down.
Haha yes, Robert the Bike Guy. He does seem to have market cornered

Thanks for linking that other thread! Always helpful for me to see other examples. At this point, I don't have a huge parts bin to draw from. My current gameplan is to try to find a frame worth converting. If a rigid MTB then I probably just need slick tires (more want than need), new cockpit, and fenders. If an older tourer I may need to grab another bike I can strip for parts, depending on condition.
Old 03-24-20, 06:10 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 66 Posts
Haha yes, Robert the Bike Guy. He does seem to have market cornered

Thanks for linking that other thread! Always helpful for me to see other examples. At this point, I don't have a huge parts bin to draw from. My current gameplan is to try to find a frame worth converting. If a rigid MTB then I probably just need slick tires (more want than need), new cockpit, and fenders. If an older tourer I may need to grab another bike I can strip for parts, depending on condition.
Guys like this might make the market better though if you are a seller. So there is always that.
Old 03-24-20, 07:11 AM
reluctantsuburb

Originally Posted by TugaDude View Post
Guys like this might make the market better though if you are a seller. So there is always that.
Hmm, good point--thanks for the silver lining

But you can see what other forum members are riding here:
This thread is a gold mine! Haha, after going through a few pages, one really sticks out to me as the exact concept of what I would be trying to do: a really long wheelbase, Reynolds 531 Dawes Ranger set up as a city bike

I ended up following that poster's history to see it from the beginning over at theVintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions thread here, which is another great spot for inspiration. That Dawes though...
Old 03-27-20, 04:33 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 74 Posts
More photos for inspiration. Blue Lug is a Japanese shop that builds up a lot of Riv and Riv-ish bikes. https://www.flickr.com/photos/bluelug/
Old 03-31-20, 08:31 AM
reluctantsuburb

More photos for inspiration. Blue Lug is a Japanese shop that builds up a lot of Riv and Riv-ish bikes. https://www.flickr.com/photos/bluelug/
Yes, I follow them on instagram--thanks for pointing them out!
Old 04-08-20, 02:17 PM
visusest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also own a Marin Nicasio RC (all road bike, steel, disc brakes and IGH) but it is a bit too small for me.
Is it a 58? Any interest in selling?
Old 04-08-20, 05:18 PM
reluctantsuburb

Originally Posted by visusest View Post
Is it a 58? Any interest in selling?
It's a 56cm but since it's too small for me I ended up putting a Jones h bar on it with 2.5" of rise. Let me know if you'd be interested
Old 04-10-20, 06:43 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 216 Posts
It's funny you mention top tube length; after reading these posts yesterday and looking at some articles on frame geometry, I couldn't shake the feeling that something was off with my top tube length, so I went out and measured the mid-90s MTB (a Novara) I had previously tried to convert to find that the TT was almost 2 inches longer than the seat tube. I assume that is contributing pretty significantly to what feels like a more forward/aggressive posture than I'd otherwise want?

Thats the trick with converting older MTBs. Usually better off with the mid 1980s than the 1990s. Top tubes over the years got longer and longer, making a conversion less viable. Always measure TT first. I find HUGE variation. Picking the RIGHT project is key.

Fortunately older rigid frame MTBs are so plentiful, that it is relatively easy to find one with the right TT for you.

I have my drop bar Cimarron set up right now, where the distance from the saddle to the handlebars is EXACTLY identical to my Schwinn Prologue. Saddle to bar height difference is the same too.
Old 04-10-20, 06:46 AM
reluctantsuburb

Originally Posted by wrk101 View Post
Thats the trick with converting older MTBs. Usually better off with the mid 1980s than the 1990s. Top tubes over the years got longer and longer, making a conversion less viable. Always measure TT first. I find HUGE variation. Picking the RIGHT project is key.

Fortunately older rigid frame MTBs are so plentiful, that it is relatively easy to find one with the right TT for you.

I have my drop bar Cimarron set up right now, where the distance from the saddle to the handlebars is EXACTLY identical to my Schwinn Prologue. Saddle to bar height difference is the same too.
I can't remember if I already posted it here, but I started a new thread to document building up a Cimarron myself! Link here.

Would welcome any advice you have.
Old 04-27-20, 10:13 AM
reluctantsuburb

Well to anyone that was following this thread, here is where I landed: https://www.bikeforums.net/21441687-post57.html

Built up a Schwinn Cimarron (with a little bit of help!) from the frame. Haven't had much time with it yet, but so far the fit is way better than my current ride!