Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Help Me Buy My Riv-Ish Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-20, 07:11 AM
reluctantsuburb

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Guys like this might make the market better though if you are a seller. So there is always that.
Hmm, good point--thanks for the silver lining

Originally Posted by Clang
But you can see what other forum members are riding here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...bikes-282.html
This thread is a gold mine! Haha, after going through a few pages, one really sticks out to me as the exact concept of what I would be trying to do: a really long wheelbase, Reynolds 531 Dawes Ranger set up as a city bike

I ended up following that poster's history to see it from the beginning over at theVintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions thread here, which is another great spot for inspiration. That Dawes though...
Old 03-27-20, 04:33 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,254 Times in 1,311 Posts
More photos for inspiration. Blue Lug is a Japanese shop that builds up a lot of Riv and Riv-ish bikes. https://www.flickr.com/photos/bluelug/
Old 03-31-20, 08:31 AM
reluctantsuburb

Originally Posted by Clang
More photos for inspiration. Blue Lug is a Japanese shop that builds up a lot of Riv and Riv-ish bikes. https://www.flickr.com/photos/bluelug/
Yes, I follow them on instagram--thanks for pointing them out!
Old 04-08-20, 02:17 PM
visusest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reluctantsuburb
I also own a Marin Nicasio RC (all road bike, steel, disc brakes and IGH) but it is a bit too small for me.
Is it a 58? Any interest in selling?
Old 04-08-20, 05:18 PM
reluctantsuburb

Originally Posted by visusest
Is it a 58? Any interest in selling?
It's a 56cm but since it's too small for me I ended up putting a Jones h bar on it with 2.5" of rise. Let me know if you'd be interested
Old 04-10-20, 06:43 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by reluctantsuburb
It's funny you mention top tube length; after reading these posts yesterday and looking at some articles on frame geometry, I couldn't shake the feeling that something was off with my top tube length, so I went out and measured the mid-90s MTB (a Novara) I had previously tried to convert to find that the TT was almost 2 inches longer than the seat tube. I assume that is contributing pretty significantly to what feels like a more forward/aggressive posture than I'd otherwise want?

Thats the trick with converting older MTBs. Usually better off with the mid 1980s than the 1990s. Top tubes over the years got longer and longer, making a conversion less viable. Always measure TT first. I find HUGE variation. Picking the RIGHT project is key.

Fortunately older rigid frame MTBs are so plentiful, that it is relatively easy to find one with the right TT for you.

I have my drop bar Cimarron set up right now, where the distance from the saddle to the handlebars is EXACTLY identical to my Schwinn Prologue. Saddle to bar height difference is the same too.
Old 04-10-20, 06:46 AM
reluctantsuburb

Originally Posted by wrk101
Thats the trick with converting older MTBs. Usually better off with the mid 1980s than the 1990s. Top tubes over the years got longer and longer, making a conversion less viable. Always measure TT first. I find HUGE variation. Picking the RIGHT project is key.

Fortunately older rigid frame MTBs are so plentiful, that it is relatively easy to find one with the right TT for you.

I have my drop bar Cimarron set up right now, where the distance from the saddle to the handlebars is EXACTLY identical to my Schwinn Prologue. Saddle to bar height difference is the same too.
I can't remember if I already posted it here, but I started a new thread to document building up a Cimarron myself! Link here.

Would welcome any advice you have.
Old 04-27-20, 10:13 AM
reluctantsuburb

Well to anyone that was following this thread, here is where I landed: https://www.bikeforums.net/21441687-post57.html

Built up a Schwinn Cimarron (with a little bit of help!) from the frame. Haven't had much time with it yet, but so far the fit is way better than my current ride!