Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Toilet paper wars?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Toilet paper wars?

Old 03-14-20, 11:23 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10916 Post(s)
Liked 685 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by Jseis View Post
Costco got cleaned out yesterday of ... most food that has a remotely longer shelf life.
Twinkies?
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-14-20, 11:28 AM
cb400bill
Model Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1, Schwinn Voyageur, Cannondale Synapse, Raleigh C50, Trek 710, Raleigh Granada, Legnano Pista, Viscount Aerospace Pro

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 569 Posts
Old 03-14-20, 01:14 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 96 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 103 Posts
My wife and I needed a few items from the store. And my neighbor (just had pancreatic cancer tumor removed and still being treated) mentioned if we were out, to pick up some TP. Guess what--NO paper towels or toilet paper, no eggs, no milk, very little meat to be found. Many canned goods were completely sold out as well. While in the store, got to talking to another shopper how ridiculous it was-he was in there for just a few things also, while we watched overflowing carts go by. He mentioned that police had to be called to one grocery store over people fighting. When will people come to their senses so we can get back to some sense of normal! We didn't binge buy, no need, as my wife always keeps plenty of food around, even before the virus. Guess I'm a lucky guy.

Last edited by freeranger; 03-14-20 at 01:22 PM.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 03-14-20, 07:37 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 490 Posts
Yup I usually keep a good stock of food as well so I don’t have to go to the store that much. People around here are being sane so far but I’m in the boondocks about 8 miles outside of a town of about 10,000.. now if beer is sold out there will be a problem
Old 03-14-20, 08:26 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 306 Posts
I got everything I need.

Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-14-20, 10:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 11241 Post(s)
Liked 2,410 Times in 1,416 Posts
This has me really wiped out. 😂
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 03-15-20, 02:42 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 197 Posts
Old 03-15-20, 02:59 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 50 Posts
Deja Vu All Over Again....
From the week just before Christmas 1973 to the Miami Dolphins destroying the Minnesota Vikings in the Super Bowl in mid January 1974, there was a shortage of Toilet Paper in the USA. ....................Anyone 63 or older today (at least 16 years old in 1973) would remember the OIL CRISIS of 1973 and the gas lines, rationing, and shortages of gasoline at many stations. ...................Well, all the folks with the 8 mpg land yachts that couldn't get enough gasoline to travel as much for ordinary errands got so nervous that they were expecting to do more Number 2 than usual so guess what..................................and Johnny Carson's 12-19-73 monologue
comments on the subject about the shortage of toilet paper just sent many nervewracked, stressed-out folks chasing toilet paper and causing a shortage.

https://www.priceonomics.com/the-gre...scare-of-1973/
Likes For Vintage Schwinn:
Old 03-15-20, 07:20 AM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 92 Posts
Enough with the toilet paper, can anyone explain to me why there's a rush on hand sanitizer? Doesn't anyone use good ol' soap and water to clean their hands any more?
Likes For skidder:
Old 03-15-20, 07:28 AM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn View Post
Deja Vu All Over Again....
From the week just before Christmas 1973 to the Miami Dolphins destroying the Minnesota Vikings in the Super Bowl in mid January 1974, there was a shortage of Toilet Paper in the USA. ....................Anyone 63 or older today (at least 16 years old in 1973) would remember the OIL CRISIS of 1973 and the gas lines, rationing, and shortages of gasoline at many stations. ...................Well, all the folks with the 8 mpg land yachts that couldn't get enough gasoline to travel as much for ordinary errands got so nervous that they were expecting to do more Number 2 than usual so guess what..................................and Johnny Carson's 12-19-73 monologue
comments on the subject about the shortage of toilet paper just sent many nervewracked, stressed-out folks chasing toilet paper and causing a shortage.

/
I missed the 1973 gasoline shortage, but there was another one in 1979(?) due to the Iranian Revolution when the hard-line muslims took over Iran and cut off deliveries to the USA. That was more severe, but didn't last as long since Saudi Arabia ramped up production and shipments to the USA and Europe. Lucky for me my car got totaled a week before that one happened, and all I needed was my bicycle and a bus pass to get to/from work and school.
Old 03-15-20, 07:39 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 719 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
I got everything I need.

That's the spirit. I love both WR and MM. Picked up some EH Taylor just last night.
Old 03-15-20, 08:17 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 59 Posts
I can't find toilet paper. I have 1.5 rolls left. I usually buy more when I have just 1 roll remaining. I learned my lesson, buy a pack when I only have 4 rolls remaining.

I use the recycled toilet paper for everything, from cleaning the bathroom and windows, to wiping surfaces. It's cheaper than paper towels and wet wipes.
Old 03-15-20, 08:19 AM
02Giant 
Home School Valedictorian

Bikes: 13 Orbea Orca 02 Giant Cypress 88 Mongoose ATB 79 frame-built to 80 spec. Schwinn Traveller

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 159 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder View Post
Enough with the toilet paper, can anyone explain to me why there's a rush on hand sanitizer? Doesn't anyone use good ol' soap and water to clean their hands any more?
Disinfecting when hand washing isn't available.

I ain't broke and I ain't hungry but I'm close enough to care
tp

Old 03-15-20, 08:53 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2703 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
The reality is the batroom hygiene of the future should involve a lot less paper and more hygenic washing.

I read one opinion piece that compared American toilets to bedpans with holes...

The Japanese and Finnish folkks have it right... washing is the future.

Even Kohler had future toilets at CES.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/6/18...oilet-ces-2019

In Finland, every pooper had a wash wand nearby... even the corner gas station. And really, not that difficult to retrofit... if only Americans would learn to wash, rather than wipe... ewwwww.
My neighbour told me that a lot of his Indonesian family members have a garden hose improvisation next to their toilet, but I also know that traditionally Indonesians eat with their right hand only. I don't have room for a bidet, but I have achieved regular digestion which enables me to **** and shower in the right order.
Old 03-15-20, 09:23 AM
Goofball

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
I am a mild-mannered hipster-doofus but if I catch you meddling with my cache of cottenelle I will freak out. Nothing but the best for my little buttercup 🌻
Old 03-15-20, 09:40 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB View Post
See post no. 19?
Might be too late now.
I see toilet paper on the internet, but they're going for 10 times the normal price and also are in bulk quantities only. I also feel bad for wasting a delivery man's time for delivering toilet paper. I'll just go looking again next time I'm out, and if not then I'll buy online. I guess this is one case where "just in time" supply system doesn't always work well.
Old 03-15-20, 09:42 AM
FBOATSB 

Bikes: Old Schwinns

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 52 Posts
Fair enough
Old 03-15-20, 09:59 AM
FBOATSB 

Bikes: Old Schwinns

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123 View Post
I see toilet paper on the internet, but they're going for 10 times the normal price and also are in bulk quantities only. I also feel bad for wasting a delivery man's time for delivering toilet paper. I'll just go looking again next time I'm out, and if not then I'll buy online. I guess this is one case where "just in time" supply system doesn't always work well.
Just in my experience, I have had the same postal carrier for decades and he has no problems with packages, letters, and even junk mail. I have asked him and he agrees it has given him a good career and all the extra package volume is good for the USPS.
He got a chuckle out of the Box 'O Crap thread in C&V when I told him how many years that has been jetting around the US.
Old 03-15-20, 04:32 PM
ahsposo 
Mechanical Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 4162 Post(s)
Liked 856 Times in 532 Posts

Kroger, Sunday 6 PM massive paper towel selection. I bought it all.
Old 03-15-20, 08:01 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Originally Posted by 02Giant View Post
Disinfecting when hand washing isn't available.
True, guess I should have clarified my post: At work last week the mgmt. had the janitorial service put up hand sanitizer dispensers, and that included INSIDE the restrooms and the kitchettes on each floor (all have soap dispensers and sinks with hot & cold water). Crazy, just crazy.
Likes For skidder:
Old 03-16-20, 10:50 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
The reality is the batroom hygiene of the future should involve a lot less paper and more hygenic washing.

I read one opinion piece that compared American toilets to bedpans with holes...

The Japanese and Finnish folkks have it right... washing is the future.

Even Kohler had future toilets at CES.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/6/18...oilet-ces-2019

In Finland, every pooper had a wash wand nearby... even the corner gas station. And really, not that difficult to retrofit... if only Americans would learn to wash, rather than wipe... ewwwww.
There's a standup special on Netflix by English comedian Daniel Sloss with a lengthy bit about anal hygiene. Also in the Canadian season of Comedians of the World, K Trevor Wilson has a lot of intersecting T.P.-related material.
Old 03-16-20, 07:18 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

I can't find toilet paper. I have 1.5 rolls left. I usually buy more when I have just 1 roll remaining. I learned my lesson, buy a pack when I only have 4 rolls remaining.

I use the recycled toilet paper for everything, from cleaning the bathroom and windows, to wiping surfaces. It's cheaper than paper towels and wet wipes.
Have you checked your local CVS? I stopped by one on my way to work about 6:45am this morning and they had it. Limiting it to one 12-pack per customer/family group. FWIW: I stopped to get some throat lozenges, the other three people in line weren't buying TP either.
Old 03-16-20, 07:39 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by skidder View Post
Lack of Toilet Paper?
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-16-20, 07:40 PM
CliffordK

1.5 rolls.... that is about right.

I've gotten about 10 years out of the last roll... And, it is about half left.

So you should be good for 2 or 3 decades...
Old 03-16-20, 10:08 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 132 Posts
I found some TP in a not very busy Walgreens on Thursday night. I got five rolls, leaving some for others. So, my household (two adults, one male and one female) should be good for five weeks!

This was the scene at the grocery store on Friday evening. No TP, and folks were starting to get into the napkins.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.