Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Main Benefit of a Professional Fit?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Main Benefit of a Professional Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-20, 04:28 PM
rami_arna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I recently had my first professional bike fit which was a retul done in my LBS. Took an appointment that was 5 days away due to being full booked. The sales executive told me it would take two to three hours.

On the day of the fit the whole thing took 30 minutes. They did nothing drastic that I couldn’t do myself. Not to mention the fitter trying to just sell me more things like oval chainrings.
The only benefit I got was they suggested a wider saddle which was more comfortable than my current saddle. Other than that, in my opinion, unless you are a very inexperienced rider you can figure out most of the measurements with trial and error and using some basic methods and formulas.
Old 04-09-20, 04:53 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Try reading some of Steve Hogg's articles. You may learn what your fit problems are and be able to fix them yourself. I have never found that a few millimeters has ever made much of a difference in power, comfort or endurance. A 10mm change in reach or saddle fore/aft position can be felt, but it still should't make any night and day difference. One of the most common mistakes is a saddle that's too far forward. That will place too much weight on your hands and it's the most frequent cause of flipped up stems and small saddle to bar drops. Using the old KOP method of setting the saddle fore/aft will often place the saddle too far forward.

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/articles/

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...=239036&page=2
Hmm, I just read the paceline article, and the original Dave Kirk blog post from 11 years ago, and I'm going to try that experiment with lifting the hands later today. My saddle position is currently essentially KOPS, at a decent height, and I've generally been satisfied with my self-performed fit, but I'll give it a try and see if that shows me I need to re-think. I've read quite a bit about fitting issues in the past and thought I could self-fit well enough, so I've never considered a professional fit. With no physical symptoms I'd link to improper fit I haven't questioned the wisdom of this approach, but I'm wide open to new ideas. I'll also have to pay attention later on to see if I'm arcing my knees at all. I don't think I am, but I've never paid attention to it, so I may be surprised. I do have quite a bit of weight on my hands when I'm riding, but I've always chalked that up to me just being a very heavy clydesdale of a rider. If I can reduce this by some seat adjustment that might be just the ticket. Anyhow, thanks for those links!