Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 09:14 PM
VinceXE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What is this?

So this was in my Ebay recommendations and it caught my eye.

Now of course I was not thinking of purchasing it, but it did make me think a bit. My knowledge on bikes/BSOs are not as vast as other people here so I wanted to ask what makes this bike specifically bad/a BSO? To the layman it looks like a great deal. It says it has Shimano Tourney derailleurs and mechanical disc breaks and at 270 that looks like a great deal, right? Even some 400$ bikes don't have mechanical disk breaks. I think its obvious that this bike's main point is style and its point is that it looks like all those fancy expensive road bikes, but if somebody who was just getting into bikes asked me "Why shouldn't I buy this bike", I would not be able to answer them.

Thanks
Old 04-08-20, 04:40 AM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts

Last edited by krecik; 09-18-23 at 01:30 AM.
Likes For krecik:
Old 04-08-20, 05:32 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
It's something I wouldn't put my 159 pounds on.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 04-08-20, 05:51 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Some of the Amazon reviews are absolutely brutal. Appears to be its own brand name.
Run, don't walk away.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 04-08-20, 08:59 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
But, it says "High Quality."
Old 04-10-20, 06:58 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Among the other pieces of info gleaned from the Amazon reviews: it weighs 33.5 pounds! Looks like crap.
Old 04-11-20, 07:58 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Misspellings of simple words like "dual" make me immediately suspicious of the product. If the ad is off, what must the product be like?
Old 04-11-20, 08:08 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
What are "daul" disc brakes?

This has been posted and beaten to death before.
Old 04-11-20, 08:22 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
This has been...beaten to death before.
Apparently not.
Old 04-12-20, 06:56 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Steel frame (steel is real?), 1x7 drive train, stem shifters, chainring guard on the whopping 42T chainring, and those wheels, which are probably where the extra 6 or 8 pounds come from? Stay FAR away!
Old 04-12-20, 06:51 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
It is an abomination that gives Walmart BSO's instant credibility.
Old 04-12-20, 07:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
If you see tourney and modern mag wheels made of aluminum or steel it is good idea to run far away. I would rather have higher quality mechanical rim brakes then whatever that bike uses to stop. Typically those cheap brakes have dime size pads which give new meaning to stopping on a dime except you are "stopping" with a dime.
Old 04-12-20, 08:25 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
If somebody who was just getting into bikes asked you "Why shouldn't I buy this bike?" you could tell them a bunch of things:

-It's heavy. Like really heavy. If you are using cheap materials, to make them durable you just use more of them, increasing the weight. No thought has been put into lightening anything on the bike.

-The wheels are solid discs of magnesium and will give any rider the impression that they're riding through a deep puddle of treacle or peanut butter. Paired with heavy inner tubes and tires (low thread counts with lots of rubber for puncture protection), the wheels probably weigh a few kilograms on their own. The wheels most directly affect experienced ride quality, so the rider will need to work hard to get the wheels up to speed, and once moving in a direction, they will resist being turned; those bad boys will want to keep just going straight. Think of what a bike with Schwalbe Marathon green guard tires on it feels like and then multiply that.

-The Chinese crap bike makers like to trumpet their use of Shimano products from the rooftops, because it's a recognizable brand. Tourney is the absolute bottom of the barrel, though, and depending on what parts they use from the cheap stuff range, the bike would probably have a freewheel (the bearings are in the cog cluster as a unit) which is a generation older than the freehub technology that most new bikes have. It's not the end of the world, but again, that range uses the cheapest materials, breaks more frequently and wears out more quickly than other Shimano ranges. It's designed for a few hundred kilometers of lifetime use; like kids riding to the corner store and back. It's not designed to be ridden long and hard.

The parts and things look right, but they mimic more expensive versions that are made of far superior materials. Think of handlebars in general. Some manufacturers will have a lower model and a higher model. Both of them have the same degree of strength, it's just that the higher model is made with superior metal, using a more expensive forming technique and costs more money. It's just as strong as the cheaper version, but it's significantly lighter. Now look at this bike. To have sufficient strength in the handlebars etc, they need to be really heavy. They look the same as higher end versions on the surface, but as soon as you analyze the material, or weight them on scales, you realize that they're just cheap imitations of inferior quality.
Old 04-12-20, 08:39 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Buy it. Put it on the GCN "Hot or Not" upload. And also post a pic of it here next to some water. What could possibly go wrong?