Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for a first road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-20, 02:17 PM
Aquila58

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am 15, and looking for a first road bike to get for this summer. I’ve been looking at a few bikes on Craigslist for around $400-$450. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice for what to look for, as well as if someone knows about the Felt F95 and if it would be a good bike. Thanks for your help
Old 04-08-20, 02:32 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
If they fit you properly and are made for the type of riding and road conditions you'll be on, then all bikes are good bikes.

You can get a brand new bike for just under 500 dollars and have a warranty and probably free service and tuneup during the break-in period of a few months.

A used bike might be a deal, but can also be a waste of money if you have to fix up stuff on it. Unless you have money to blow, you don't need to get your ultimate bike till you get your body in ultimate riding shape.
Old 04-08-20, 02:45 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
I'll play devil's advocate. Buy a nicer used bike and learn how to work on it through YouTube videos. Before you go look at a used bike, buy a chain stretch gauge. If the chain is way stretched, that means the cassette, chainrings, and derailleur pulleys may need replacing (expensive), and you should look elsewhere.
Old 04-08-20, 02:59 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
In order to buy a second hand bike with confidence you have to know a few things: First, you have to have a good idea about bike fit. The best deal in the world on a bike that doesn't fit you is a very bad deal. Next, condition. Second hand bikes have been used, sometimes a lot. Some components wear faster than others, tires, chains, cassettes, brake pads, and cables. They have to be changed at regular intervals. Various bearings (wheels, bottom brackets, headsets, pedals) need to be serviced. A careful inspection can reveal deficiencies if you know what to look for. Quality of components can be assessed with a bit of research and general mechanical knowledge. From what I could find out, a Felt F95 would be close to 10 years old built with components several grades below racing level. Bike sold originally in the $800-$900 range. I wouldn't pay much over $200 for one in almost perfect condition. NB, I am a Canadian. Canadian dollars are worth about 70 cents US
Old 04-08-20, 03:14 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
I'll add:

Don't let someone pressure you into paying a lot for a bike just because "it cost $2000 15 years ago". Bikes depreciate like mad, and just like alcjphil said, a brand new 10-year old bike isn't worth squat today. It may not seem like it, but a lot of technological and design advancements have been made in the last 10 years on road bikes. A bike that cost $3000 new ten years ago is the tech equivalent of a new $900 bike now.
Old 04-09-20, 03:03 PM
lcdel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If they fit you properly and are made for the type of riding and road conditions you'll be on, then all bikes are good bikes.

You can get a brand new bike for just under 500 dollars and have a warranty and probably free service and tuneup during the break-in period of a few months.

A used bike might be a deal, but can also be a waste of money if you have to fix up stuff on it. Unless you have money to blow, you don't need to get your ultimate bike till you get your body in ultimate riding shape.
LBS could also be a good middle option.
Old 04-09-20, 04:54 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
When I began cycling I bought a used bike from a consignment store for $65. There was nothing wrong mechanically with the bike but as I found out eventually, it was the wrong size and very uncomfortable. The longer the ride, the more uncomfortable. If you purchase your bike from a bike shop, they will see to it you get the right size. If you are more inclined to buy used, then you have to have a pretty good idea of the size before you buy. I suggest you look and ride plenty of bikes to close in on the right size. Good luck.