Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Crank Arm Chain Scuff: Go or No Go?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-09-20, 09:19 AM
BFisher

Bikes: '61 Schwinn Klunker, '68 Hercules Klapprad, '71 Peugeot UO8, '73 Raleigh Super Course, '78 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '79 Motobecane Grand Sprint, '82 Colnago Super, '87 Ironman Expert, '89 Puch Mistral Leader, '92 Trek 930

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 373 Times in 227 Posts

I've got this Sugino Mighty Competition crankset here that I used very briefly in the past, but has been sitting in the bin for years. Thinking about using it again, but this damage to the inner arm gives me pause. I'll defer to the experts. Would you ride these? Note the bike doesn't get the bulk of my mileage, no serious climbing. I'm inclined to think they'll be fine, but am short on experience with this. Pics:

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.
Old 04-09-20, 09:24 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
I am not an expert, but I play one while on the internet.
I would file that off, sand it with emery cloth, polish it and use it.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 04-09-20, 09:36 AM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
In the third photo it appears like there is a crack in line with the "171" stamp. If so, a crack will keep going deeper with load unless you blend it out completely and the only why to ensure it is gone is with a non destructive test (liquid penetrant, ultrasound, etc.) which would likely cost you more than it is worth t salvage an already damaged crank.

I't won't fail immediately, but if it does in the middle of a hard climb 50 miles from home.......I wouldn't use it.
Old 04-09-20, 09:39 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1975 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I've never seen one so bad.

If it's cracked, it's trash.
Old 04-09-20, 09:40 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
I am not an expert, but I play one while on the internet.
I would file that off, sand it with emery cloth, polish it and use it.
Yeah, what he said.
I can't see a crack, but maybe you could verify this in person. Filing/sanding might reveal one way or the other.
Old 04-09-20, 09:52 AM
Glennfordx4 
Holy Spokes it's Batsman!

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I don't see a crack, just clean and ride if I had em.

Glenn
Old 04-09-20, 10:00 AM
BFisher

Bikes: '61 Schwinn Klunker, '68 Hercules Klapprad, '71 Peugeot UO8, '73 Raleigh Super Course, '78 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '79 Motobecane Grand Sprint, '82 Colnago Super, '87 Ironman Expert, '89 Puch Mistral Leader, '92 Trek 930

Originally Posted by bikeaddiction1 View Post
In the third photo it appears like there is a crack in line with the "171" stamp. If so, a crack will keep going deeper with load unless you blend it out completely and the only why to ensure it is gone is with a non destructive test (liquid penetrant, ultrasound, etc.) which would likely cost you more than it is worth t salvage an already damaged crank.

I't won't fail immediately, but if it does in the middle of a hard climb 50 miles from home.......I wouldn't use it.
I do see how it looks that way in the photo, but in person I see no evidence of a crack.
Old 04-09-20, 10:56 AM
scarlson

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b super touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 173 Posts
Yeah just sand it out. No big deal, I've used worse!
Old 04-09-20, 11:15 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '90 De Rosa Professional, '91 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 94 Posts
I don't see a crack. You want to sand and polish it to get rid of any stress risers. Do it a and ride.
Old 04-09-20, 11:49 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 410 Posts
The "Mighty" Sugino Mighty Super/Competition, easily one of if not the best in the business, every bit as tough, strong and beautiful as any.

Sand, polish and ride.
Old 04-09-20, 11:49 AM
bikeaddiction1

Originally Posted by BFisher View Post
I do see how it looks that way in the photo (it blows up quite well), but in person I see no evidence of a crack.
On my big screen the photo is 2-3 times normal and the crack (if it is a crack) appears to be at the back edge propagating both ways from the corner. At a minimum I would do better than the naked eye and either look at it with a magnifying glass or a clear blown up photo image. Maybe clean a few of the burrs away first for a clearer picture.I might be a little anal as my background is in Aeronautical Engineering and cracks are the root of all evil.

If it does break, think of which part of you anatomy hits the top tube first and how important is that to you.

Last edited by bikeaddiction1; 04-09-20 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-09-20, 12:12 PM
mrv 
BIKE RIDE

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeaddiction1 View Post
If it does break, think of which part of you anatomy hits the top tube first and how important is that to you.
Thankfully when my crank snapped I missed the top tube all together. Since I was standing on the crank at the time, my foot when right to the ground, and stopped. Unfortunately the rest of me was still going about 16mph. But thankfully the bike when left and I went right (ish).
Unfortunately there was some kids at a play ground near by who saw the whole episode - "DANG! DID YOU SEE THAT?!?!" ... yea.... sort of......
Thankfully I was not in traffic, or near a hard curb. Unfortunately ORIGIN8 would only sell me a crank at cost as a replacement. -- I think I should of sued......

just say "no" to ORIGIN 8's cheap crap

Probably about 2 years of riding. UNGLAUBLICH!!

Last edited by mrv; 04-09-20 at 12:13 PM. Reason: speeling is hard
Old 04-09-20, 12:20 PM
mrv 
BIKE RIDE

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
oh, sorry. to the original post's question - I dunno man. I dunno.
The SUGINO assembled to the bike in the first pic I posted has a slight nick in it from clipping the front derailleur. After hitting the deck once, I keep thinking I'm not going to use it.
Probably for you're mighty mighty SUGINO - I just don't think it's worth the risk and hassle. Maybe if you never stand on them, it'll all be fine. (I've only seen one rider who never stood on her pedals. I asked her why and she almost knocked me in the head with the chip on her shoulder... whatever..)
Heck - even the MIGHTY Grant Peterson says change you're handlebars every 15 years as a matter of safety.
I know SUGINO cranks are pricey. I understand. I just paid a lot for a set of VELO ORANGE cranks for my new GUNNAR. It's a lot of money.

cheers.
Old 04-09-20, 12:24 PM
bikeaddiction1

Originally Posted by mrv View Post
Thankfully when my crank snapped I missed the top tube all together. Since I was standing on the crank at the time, my foot when right to the ground, and stopped. Unfortunately the rest of me was still going about 16mph. But thankfully the bike when left and I went right (ish).
Unfortunately there was some kids at a play ground near by who saw the whole episode - "DANG! DID YOU SEE THAT?!?!" ... yea.... sort of......
Thankfully I was not in traffic, or near a hard curb. Unfortunately ORIGIN8 would only sell me a crank at cost as a replacement. -- I think I should of sued......

just say "no" to ORIGIN 8's cheap crap

Probably about 2 years of riding. UNGLAUBLICH!!
Wow, glad you weren't hurt. Too bad about the witnesses. In the photo of the broken crank arm, the dark flatish area on the outboard side looks like a crack and the jagged area was what was remaining when it snapped. The issue with a crack on the crank is the cyclic loading will help the crack propagate so it is usually not a case of will the crack grow, but how fast will it grow.....if there is a crack.
Old 04-09-20, 12:31 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: CURRENT: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '74 Campania Professional, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '91 Univega Alpina Comp PAST: '72 Puch Bergmeister, '72ish Peugeot UO-8, '86 Univega Gran Premio, '85 Univega Viva Touring

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 143 Posts
I'll add another voice to the sand-polish-assess crowd. I would not ride it as is, but a crack will reveal itself very quickly with a little sanding or filing -- and if it's cracked, set it aside.

I sanded a divot out of a Sugino AT crank that I use daily, but I also had to retire a gorgeous SR Royal crank that was definitely cracked after some light filing.
Old 04-09-20, 02:08 PM
BFisher

Thanks again for all input. Concerns are definitely valid and taken seriously. I took a needle file to the area and then hit it with a Dremel wire brush. The area looks smooth, and most importantly, crack free. Will post a pic later.

Plan is a go, and I've swapped the set in.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 04-09-20, 03:31 PM
BFisher

After some smoothing out:

I have a bit more to do here, but am relieved at the result. Close inspection, including magnification, put me at ease. Thanks again for the responses.

Cell phone shot of its new home:
Likes For BFisher: