Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Bike travel case

Old 01-03-17, 01:52 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
just because you remove the bars doesn't mean you have to re-cable everything.

i use di2 (another advantage), but i don't disconnect brake cables. i think you'd likely just have to disconnect the RD cable since it is best/safest to remove the RD & hanger from the frame for transport.

still, a cable should survive at least a few disconnects/reconnects.

it's the price you pay for saving possibly hundreds of $ per r/t.
Originally Posted by Da Reef
I dont disconnect any cables. I can fit the bars in the triangle with he cables still attached. Seat and post go in the rear triangle. Took several tries to get it down.
Ah, cool. From the picture it seemed like they had to be disconnected.
Old 01-03-17, 06:19 PM
Da Reef

Bikes: Tarmac, Allez Sprint, Nashbar beater

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tyrell
I bought a Ritchey Breakaway earlier this year as I found myself travelling quite a bit for work. Used it on 5 trips so far and coming up on another trip to Chile end of this week. No charges so far and have been asked once what was in it..."bicycle parts."
Nice!
Old 01-04-17, 05:57 AM
jdms mvp

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Pretty cool, but looks like you need to completely disassemble and re-assemble the bike every time you fly. Which means replacing cables, and re-adjusting derailleurs.
nope

the stem comes off (depending on bar setup, might need to angle the bars in a certain way, but i dont)
the RD is unbolted
Front brake cable stay connected
Rear brake cable i un bolt
RD and FD i un-bolt
seatpost off
pedals off
fork pull out

it's more than, a bigger bag for sure. But i'll rebuild my bike > paying 150$ round trip fees per trip, anyday.

when asked about contents i usually say physical therapy equipment. Never had an issue with damage (outside my own doing) with any hardcase or softcase .... knock on wood. In side of my soft case i usually have some stiff cardboard, cut up pool noodles over the tubes of bikes) and random towels anyways.

Last edited by jdms mvp; 01-06-17 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-05-17, 08:22 PM
Tyrell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
This Ninja case has me interested and second-guessing my Breakaway. Disassembly seems to be on par with Breakaway - difference is Breakaway takes frame apart whereas Ninja requires fork removal. Considering selling my Breakaway and using my aluminum CX bike for travel with the Ninja case instead now...
Old 01-05-17, 11:06 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tyrell
This Ninja case has me interested and second-guessing my Breakaway. Disassembly seems to be on par with Breakaway - difference is Breakaway takes frame apart whereas Ninja requires fork removal. Considering selling my Breakaway and using my aluminum CX bike for travel with the Ninja case instead now...
since this is a racing forum....

one of these things allows a racer to bring their race bike; the other is a breakaway. ;-)

seriously, though: fork removal is pretty trivial. in fact, it is better/faster/easier than removing bars. when you drop the fork you can leave stem & bars attached to one another.

IME, the bags that allow you to leave the fork & stem in place but remove the bars (a) wind up costing you more as it is much harder to escape fees and (b) requires fiddling with an interface that is much more likely to slip, esp as more and more people have carbon bars.

it's frustrating to travel to a race and have your bars rotate from hitting a pothole.

with the ninja, if your bars were set up properly at home, they're set up perfectly when you land.
Old 01-05-17, 11:40 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
...seriously, though: fork removal is pretty trivial...
Well nutcase me considered that when routing the Di2 through the stem (using that cool single cable you suggested) and into the top tube. A stem removal without 1st dealing with the PIA routing would sever that. I was/may do the same with brakes. Anyway, I decided the MASI is for the car trunk and Venge/Felt for the aeroplane.

This is an issue with the Trek's and Look Bikes. I see it becoming more of one.

Last edited by Doge; 01-05-17 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-06-17, 04:28 AM
Da Reef

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finally got hit with a bag fee using the Ninja case. Lucky I was on SW and it was $75 and not $200. Once in ~20 legs isn't bad.
Old 01-06-17, 07:05 AM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's bogus, SW specifically says bikes are allowed if under the size limits. Did they measure it?
Old 01-06-17, 10:09 AM
Da Reef

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rankin116
That's bogus, SW specifically says bikes are allowed if under the size limits. Did they measure it?
Yep, over by 3", 65" vs 62". Given the odd size of the bag I tried to explain that measuring from the longest/tallest/widest point to point wasn't really fair. She wasn't having it.
Old 01-06-17, 12:12 PM
Tyrell

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
fork removal is pretty trivial. in fact, it is better/faster/easier than removing bars. when you drop the fork you can leave stem & bars attached to one another.
Agree. I leave stem attached to bars on my Ritchey. I could just as easily remove fork too at that point but not required.
Old 01-06-17, 12:15 PM
Tyrell

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Pretty cool, but looks like you need to completely disassemble and re-assemble the bike every time you fly. Which means replacing cables, and re-adjusting derailleurs.
You also use the brake and derailleur cable quick disconnects that Ritchey uses on their Breakaway bikes rather than having to disconnect from the derailleurs/brakes and fiddle with adjusting once rebuilt at your destination.
Old 01-06-17, 11:33 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Da Reef
Yep, over by 3", 65" vs 62". Given the odd size of the bag I tried to explain that measuring from the longest/tallest/widest point to point wasn't really fair. She wasn't having it.
yep...it's definitely over the limit when properly measured.

they like to sell the unusual dimensions as a positive -- that it is easy to mis-measure (and therefore under-measure).

technically the agent was right. IME, it is rare to even get questioned about it, much less measured. if it happens 5% of the time, you still come out ahead.

it just LOOKS so much smaller than any other bike bag. that makes it easy for people to believe it's not a bike.
Old 01-08-17, 06:04 PM
Doge

Looked interesting - shipping about $100 to USA, but still a nice box: Brand-X EVA Bike Pod | Chain Reaction Cycles
Old 08-31-17, 10:56 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
I just got an email from Oru saying that their 'regular case is 34x28x7" inches, which works out to 69". How come some guys here have it at 65?
Old 10-13-17, 11:15 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
Another vote for the Orucase here. Me and the GF have gotten away with several trips and zero fees.
What size does your Orucase measure up to?

Looking at switching from Pika to this.

Mailed them and they said that the standard was 69", and the 62 has less protection. My wife's is a small bike [50cm], and mine is a 54. What would you suggest?

I really dont want to have to buy the Oru and then still get caught on the sizing, but I dont want to scrounge on the protection either.
Old 10-13-17, 11:23 AM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the regular Orucase, with a 54cm Cannondale. I've flown with it 6 times now, I think, and had one time where someone actually measured it and said something about it being over the limit and that they could charge me, but they would let it go this time.
Old 10-13-17, 02:13 PM
Doge

United (and only United I've seen) has in writing that active military can take up to three oversize (bikes) on a flight, no charge.
That is a huge deal I do not plan on abusing (yea I still buy the airline tickets).

Wife and I are flying United when we can to make up for it.
Old 10-13-17, 08:47 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
What size does your Orucase measure up to?

Looking at switching from Pika to this.

Mailed them and they said that the standard was 69", and the 62 has less protection. My wife's is a small bike [50cm], and mine is a 54. What would you suggest?

I really dont want to have to buy the Oru and then still get caught on the sizing, but I dont want to scrounge on the protection either.
here's the deal:

the guy behind orucase is a former bike racer. he'll make a bike to your specific specs, and if you are riding a smaller frame (50) you have a chance that it may legitimately come in within airline specs. you really have no chance with the 54.

you'll have to drag it out of him, but for all the hand waving, the orucase (normal size) IS oversize if measured properly. by making it non-standard dimensions, his feeling is that reps are likely to mis-measure it, or that there is a point to argue.

however, you are technically oversize and subject to charges.

the thing about the orucase and the gavi BFF is that they are pretty darn compact (even if technically over the size limit) and they don't look like bike cases. i own both and have never been charged for either. i've had a cycling friend pick me up to take me to the airport. we loaded both bags into his car; he knew this was a bike trip, and he asked 'where are your bikes?'

they're fairly inconspicuous.

i've owned the pika and was charged most of the time; i took to shipping it instead of flying with it.

soft frames offer decent protection from normal handling (i've shipped bikes a whole bunch), but what they are not designed for is:
1 - getting run over by a vehicle. a hard case may prevent damage here.
2 - falling out of a plane (yes, i've seen a bike miss the conveyer belt and fall from a 747's cargo bay), but a hard case is not likely to help here because....
3 - TSA rummaging through your stuff and improperly re-packing it.

the last one is the real kicker. if they pack stuff wrong, your bike is much more exposed.

that's why shipping can be great: you KNOW no one will open up the bag, so it arrives as you packed it.

the gavi BFF is very similar, but more compact, than the pika. IME the gavi and orucase are EASIER to travel with. it seems like removing the fork (and leaving stem+bars) is tougher, but it turns out to be a better solution overall than leaving the fork and stem in place and removing only the bars. there are a bunch of reasons for this.

it's possible with a carbon bike and one of these cases to stroll in and make things look so casual/light that there simply could not be a bike in there in the eyes of the agent.

tl;dr, get the gavi (reportedly made by mark @ pika, but gavi from the gavi BFF denies it; they sure LOOK the same) or the orucase.

gavi is easier to do business with, but both products are good.

Originally Posted by rankin116
I have the regular Orucase, with a 54cm Cannondale. I've flown with it 6 times now, I think, and had one time where someone actually measured it and said something about it being over the limit and that they could charge me, but they would let it go this time.
yep, they are right. as much as the guy from orucase argues, the thing is DEFINITELY over the limit. IME if one is low-key and employs a few other strategies, it is unlikely to get charged.

step 1: don't show up in totally casual gear with cycling logos all over your hat, shirt, pants.
Old 10-14-17, 04:41 PM
Doge

#1 issue.
Old 10-14-17, 04:46 PM
Doge

FWIW the 3 wheel cases are usually technically over the limit. Never been charged.

A lot of the trick is to learn the airline. That is easier said than done. Frontier does not put much in writing, but tends (my experience) to let things go. United has more in writing, I have status, kid has military, so not an issue there. I found many Euro airlines are very by-the-book.
Old 10-14-17, 04:48 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Alaska (repping the SEA town) only charges 25$ for any sports gear. I think that is a price worth paying if your gear gets there in one peice and avoiding the hassle of "faking" it.
Old 10-14-17, 07:58 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Alaska (repping the SEA town) only charges 25$ for any sports gear. I think that is a price worth paying if your gear gets there in one peice and avoiding the hassle of "faking" it.
Really good info. Thanks. For the 2nd time today - got a link for that?
Old 10-14-17, 08:07 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Really good info. Thanks. For the 2nd time today - got a link for that?

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...ipment-update/
Old 10-14-17, 10:09 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
yeah--really love that they did this.

it makes no sense that golf gear goes for free but a light bike does not -- or that someone can take a ski bag + a boot bag as one piece of normal luggage, and the bike gets dinged.

the alaska policy is consistent and clear -- and probably easier to administer.

still, the TSA thing is real and represents the biggest risk.

i don't lie to gate agents; with the 2 bags I mentioned throughout this thread, i never get asked. (well, OK, i got asked once "is that a bike?"; i said no and things moved on immediately, suggesting the agent was not really sure.)

with the pika, i had gate agents eye me from the moment i walked through the doors. "is that a bike?" was not a question -- it was a statement. the agents aren't dumb.

i thought it would be a great thing if USAC struck a deal with an airline to provide 'bikes fly free' (or for $25) for license holders. non-racers and people who might not otherwise deal with USAC might sign up for licenses, which would generate lots of money for USAC (maybe that's bad?), and since bike fees on some airlines are outrageous, even approaching the cost of a ticket, it could actually influence travel decisions and be profitable for airlines.

would be a bit like people who sign up for the divers' associations in order to get emergency medical extraction, even when they are not divers. win-win.
Old 10-15-17, 12:13 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts

soft frames offer decent protection from normal handling (i've shipped bikes a whole bunch), but what they are not designed for is:
1 - getting run over by a vehicle. a hard case may prevent damage here.
2 - falling out of a plane (yes, i've seen a bike miss the conveyer belt and fall from a 747's cargo bay), but a hard case is not likely to help here because....
I like the "BikND" Jetpack I ended up getting, since it's a soft-shell but with a frame, and inflated donuts on both sides to protect the wheels. Not sure about #1, but I'm pretty confident with it around #2 & #3. There's a video of it being dropped from a 2nd story and the bike is fine.

And in the 4-5 times I've used it, TSA has opened it up but they don't need to unpack anything since it's pretty open inside and they can get in to it from both sides.

The downside of course is that it's bigger, hard to get away with the "it's not a bike" thing. Even if you convince them it's "art" it's still obviously oversized. At least it comes in under 50 lbs when packed, so you don't get dinged twice.

The trick is to fly out of smaller airports - 3 out of 4 times at Mobile Regional they just check it like normal baggage, no questions asked. At SFO, ATL, SJC it's a little trickier. Sometimes you can talk them down a bit from the bigger fees though.

I'm just amazed every time I travel with the carbon-everything bike and it comes out on the other end unscathed.

my race videos

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.