Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ham radio on tour

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Ham radio on tour

Old 10-19-18, 12:32 PM
b_young
Support JDRF

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Ham radio on tour

I am currently studying for my ham radio license. I have already purchased a Yaesu FT2DR so I suppose I should make sure to get my license now. Just curious if any ham operators take them on tour and what antenna setup would work the best.
Old 10-19-18, 01:19 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
I don't tour & I don't have a license (I got the book & started reading & watching youtube videos but got distracted by other interests), I just listen in from time to time when I travel

I have a BaoFeng BF-UV-5RE (+extra battery +HyparioŽ uv5r Two-way Radio Battery Case [which takes AAs]) & a 15" Hypario 2015 (Updated) DUAL BAND 144/430Mhz SMA-F UV Ham Radio Antenna

I programmed in some channels & frequencies so I can scan & usually find someone, or some thing to listen to, GRS, weather, popular repeaters in my travel areas & of course the common simplex frequencies (just in case)

seems to work pretty well
Old 10-19-18, 01:45 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
N7FSM. Extra class, but I don't tour. I suppose theres no harm in carrying a simple 2m ht with you. 146.52 is always a handy resource. I would use it to flag down a motorist if I was in any location that didn't have cell coverage. Paired with a repeater book, emergency services would be readily available most anywhere on the continent. So, yeah. A smart move but I wouldn't carry it for recreational purposes or use. Batteries, cables, broken antennas etc add to equipment overhead a tour already has.

For recreational use though, (provided you are licensed) An Elecraft KX3 & a straight key (or bug if that's how you roll) would be a sweet option. Put the 144 module in there and you wouldn't even need the ht I mentioned above. You have all of the world at your finger tips on a simple dual use solar panel.

Last edited by base2; 10-19-18 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-19-18, 02:26 PM
b_young
Support JDRF

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
That KX3 is nice but I don't want to spend that much on it. I was just planning on the handheld that I have and maybe something better than the rubber duck it comes with. Mainly just wanting it for when there is no cell service and if I get bored at night some.
Old 10-19-18, 02:28 PM
b_young
Support JDRF

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I was supposed to take the test last night but work interfered with it. I may have to wait til next month unless I can get one of the club members to give it early.
Old 10-19-18, 02:41 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Me? , No, But there are hand-held transceivers to buy , that work in that band.
Old 10-19-18, 06:35 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
The KX3 is someting of a holy-grail radio. It's also the only radio I can think of that is especially designed to do everything you could ever ask as a portable backpacking/hiking/touring radio. It's especially popular and capable among mountain toppers and mobile DX operations.

In any case, a low cost (read disposable) handy-talkie would still be a smart take-along. I've seen light weight collapsible 5 element beam antennas built with balsa wood and piano or magnet wire. You're in for an interesting world of resourceful engineering.

Last edited by base2; 10-19-18 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-19-18, 07:44 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I don't tour & I don't have a license (I got the book & started reading & watching youtube videos but got distracted by other interests), I just listen in from time to time when I travel

I have a BaoFeng BF-UV-5RE (+extra battery +HyparioŽ uv5r Two-way Radio Battery Case [which takes AAs]) & a 15" Hypario 2015 (Updated) DUAL BAND 144/430Mhz SMA-F UV Ham Radio Antenna

I programmed in some channels & frequencies so I can scan & usually find someone, or some thing to listen to, GRS, weather, popular repeaters in my travel areas & of course the common simplex frequencies (just in case)

seems to work pretty well
Test is easy, especially since they provide the questions on the test and the answers. I don't really endorse memorization of the Q & A. You should understand it and be able to wing the test on real practical knowledge. It's really easy. I'm out of the hobby right now, I kind of go in phases. Last Phase I got my WAS (Worked All States) and about 96 countries. Almost made 100. Did all that with a half wave dipole in an attic of a 3 story apartment. Stealth antenna!
Old 10-19-18, 07:57 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by b_young
I am currently studying for my ham radio license. I have already purchased a Yaesu FT2DR so I suppose I should make sure to get my license now. Just curious if any ham operators take them on tour and what antenna setup would work the best.
Continue to study and pass the exam. Good for you to purchase the rig. You have to PASS the test now, or else you just have an expensive paperweight. No, I do not take a radio on tour. I've had a couple periods where I have got into the hobby, got bored. I'm out of the hobby right now. That HT must have many bells and whistles. I'm sure you are familiar with repeaters. Most of my operations were simplex on mountaintops across the country while on vacations camping, etc. when I had my technicians license. It was a blast. I have a General license now.

You've probably already located some amateur radio forums. You mentioned antenna setup. The one thing I would do is to figure out a portable antenna for your HT that will perform much better than the one that comes with the HT. Plenty of folks that backpack, mountaintop, etc. with radios that carry portable antennas for use with a radio like yours. They will perform much better than your rubber duck. It's more complicated on your unless you are 2M all the time. Just 2M requires simple antenna.

Nice rig by the way, probably fairly complicated. RTM. I noticed you are in Arkansas, I have operated from Mount Magazine which is the high point in your state.

Last edited by jonc123; 10-19-18 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-19-18, 08:32 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Originally Posted by jonc123
Stealth antenna!
reminds me I always wanted to get one of these cuz I live in a condo on a hill. only CB but still
Old 10-20-18, 08:24 AM
b_young
Support JDRF

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jonc123
Continue to study and pass the exam. Good for you to purchase the rig. You have to PASS the test now, or else you just have an expensive paperweight. No, I do not take a radio on tour. I've had a couple periods where I have got into the hobby, got bored. I'm out of the hobby right now. That HT must have many bells and whistles. I'm sure you are familiar with repeaters. Most of my operations were simplex on mountaintops across the country while on vacations camping, etc. when I had my technicians license. It was a blast. I have a General license now.

You've probably already located some amateur radio forums. You mentioned antenna setup. The one thing I would do is to figure out a portable antenna for your HT that will perform much better than the one that comes with the HT. Plenty of folks that backpack, mountaintop, etc. with radios that carry portable antennas for use with a radio like yours. They will perform much better than your rubber duck. It's more complicated on your unless you are 2M all the time. Just 2M requires simple antenna.

Nice rig by the way, probably fairly complicated. RTM. I noticed you are in Arkansas, I have operated from Mount Magazine which is the high point in your state.
I ride over Mt Magazine at least once a year to remind me how out of shape I am.
the type of antenna is what i was interested in the most. I have in my head what i think will work. I was just curious if anyone had experimented as to what packs best. I'm planning on a retirement ride on the southern tier in a few years so I'm finding what I want and don't want to take.
thanks.
Old 10-20-18, 11:09 AM
BikePackin

Bikes: Bikes/related gear for bikepacking.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best wishes to you "b-y.." on whenever you find you can take the exam.

While I really, really enjoy all Ham frequencies I do not take any Ham radios with me on tours due to the associated weight and bulk.

Btw .... for years I have heard folks comment on how 'easy' the Technician test was/is ....

Full disclosure: I did not find it to be a simple walk in the park whereby little studying was needed on my part.

Meanwhile ... I do hope you find it to be as easy as many others hold it to be; however, if you over-study you still win because of how much you will learn about your new great hobby.

In fact, I have enjoyed re-reading the Technician and the General manual and the Q & As over a number of times over the years just to keep a re-freshed working knowledge.
Old 10-20-18, 09:01 PM
b_young
Support JDRF

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BikePackin
Best wishes to you "b-y.." on whenever you find you can take the exam.

While I really, really enjoy all Ham frequencies I do not take any Ham radios with me on tours due to the associated weight and bulk.

Btw .... for years I have heard folks comment on how 'easy' the Technician test was/is ....

Full disclosure: I did not find it to be a simple walk in the park whereby little studying was needed on my part.

Meanwhile ... I do hope you find it to be as easy as many others hold it to be; however, if you over-study you still win because of how much you will learn about your new great hobby.

In fact, I have enjoyed re-reading the Technician and the General manual and the Q & As over a number of times over the years just to keep a re-freshed working knowledge.
thanks. The practice test have not been that easy but I think I am finally ready. I hear people say its easy a lot. But I don't feel that's the case with me. But I will get there.
Old 10-22-18, 04:29 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
K3TN here. I've brought various HTs with me bicycling over the years, didn't really end up using them that much. As others mentioned, you can buy cheap HTs now that have all-band capability and you can listen to lots of stuff, but since now bring a smartphone on all rides and tours, don't need it as much for that kind of stuff.

Depends on your route whether you will be within range of any repeaters - you can check Repeaterbook here. Harder to tell if there will be any activity, as there are a lot of barely used repeaters on the air these days. But, if your route goes near major cities you will usually find some one willing to chat.

As far as antennas, I never found trying to operate while riding very useful. I did the gutter mount clip on antenna on my rear rack, a few other antenna arrangements. But I never like wearing earphones, a speaker/mic was unhearable and Push to Talk was always a challenge. So, I only operated at night, occasionally at lunch stops.

Good luck on your test - it is a fantastic hobby.

73 John K3TN
Old 10-23-18, 07:20 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have a pannier rack from the 90s that I made a screw in 1/4 wave 2meter mount. worked pretty well for rail trails but 5watts is hit or miss in the hills of PA. Eventually it would be nice to make a mount for the newer light weight pannier racks, just haven't gotten to it Having a speaker mic was best for my use but they are not all the same. Under-seat bag was the most concise for the radio itself and a velcro to either belt or handle bar was easy enough. Won't be hearing over highway traffic for sure, but over average road use or rail trails should be fine. Yeasu vx-150 and I can't recall what the mic model is. One good idea on some radios is to get a replacable cell holder. When on a long trip and you run out of energy it is nice to stop at a store and get AA or whichever.
Old 10-31-18, 07:18 AM
ricrunner

Bikes: Malvern Star Oppy S1 Gravel

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I am in Australia and carry a similar item which is rechargeable, has 5 watts output Is an handheld GME UHF 2 way radio. It has 80 useable channel including 8 repeater channels. You do not require an license for them. I mainly use channel 40, which is the truckies channel, as they keep you informed of road conditions, and road accidents or other emergencies. Our monitored emergency channel is channel 5 (also a repeater channel) so gives you good range where ever you are. I have approx. a 20 klm range on non repeating channels and up to 350km on repeater channels. It is very useful as our mobile phone system is next to useless especially in the outback.