Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Upgrading a 1989 Schwinn World

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-19, 09:05 AM
WilliamK1974

Bikes: Schwinn World, Haro Flightline Sport, Gitane TdF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

I first posted this in C&V, but it might get more attention here:

Right around 11 years ago, I posted the following thread:
How to upgrade my 1990 Schwinn World

A series of setbacks prevented me from doing everything I wanted to do to the bike mentioned in the thread, which is the 1989 (not 1990) Schwinn World my grandaddy gave me the summer of my fifteenth birthday. I did put a nice set of dual-pivot sidepull brakes, new vintage brake levers, a new alloy drop bar, bar tape and shellac, some good gumwall tires, and did some maintenance, such as giving all the bearings a disassembly, clean, dry, grease, and reassembly, and changed all the cables. It still rides well, but due to the hilly terrain we have around here, I would still like to give it a wider gear range to make the hills less of a struggle.

As it's currently equipped, the front crankset consists of 42/52 chainrings, and the back is a 6-speed Shimano SIS 14/28T. Given the bike's relative modernity compared to older bike boom bikes, I would assume it has a 126mm rear wheel spacing. The wheels are 27", and I would like to keep them that way because the brakes don't appear to have enough room to drop the pads to a 700c wheel, the alloy wheels I currently have are still pretty good and true, and the tires are nice enough and new-ish.

A helpful forum member suggested I get this freewheel: https://thebikeshopstore.com/categor...3-28-freewheel
and this chain: https://thebikeshopstore.com/categor...l-silver-brown
They also suggested a triple MTB crank and derailleurs capable of handling the new parts from Nashbar. Sadly, the links they provided to those parts no longer work. They said the end result would be a friction-shift 21-speed bike for just under $50 worth of new parts. They also said that if I didn't want to change the freewheel, keep the current one and use a 48/38/28 crankset up front, and I would still have an 18-speed with potentially improved lower gearing.

Is that still possible, and if so, what should I buy with regards to the front crank? Would my current toeclip pedals still fit? Also, should I get new shifters?

I don't want to get too complicated. I don't wish to do any internal cables, brifters, bar-end shifters etc.

Thank you,
-William
Old 07-01-19, 09:28 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Here is a current version of 'Nashbar': https://thebikeshopstore.com/categor.../mtb-cranksets
You can rummage around there for similar FD/RD as well. The pedals should be a no problem swap over. If your housings and perhaps
cables are still vintage 1990s, (and brake pads) I would change all those out as well. Keep the freewheel for now if you don't mind the
largish gaps. ATB cranks are your best bet for wide range shifting for cheap. Sq taper cranks are cheap as well. Nothing wrong with
27" wheels and tires are easily found. Your present RD may be fine with the triple, the FD probably not.

To be clear, Nashbar as such still exists but downsized from what it was. Niagra Cycles is a current era equivalent with a much wider
range of options. Sort of the retail equivalent of what bike shops wholesale from.

Last edited by sch; 07-01-19 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-01-19, 09:37 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Rather than an MTB crank which probably has an extra-wide Q factor, I'd suggest a compact crank or a "road triple."

This SunRace compact looks decently classy: https://thebikeshopstore.com/categor...50-34-sq-8s-sl
A road triple from the same brand for a bit more: https://thebikeshopstore.com/categor...42-30-sq-8s-sl

(You will probably need a new bottom bracket for any new crank you buy.)

One thing to note is that while both 6- and 7-speed freewheels ideally work in a 126mm spacing, 7-speed freewheels are often a bit wider, so you end up needing to add a 1-2mm spacer on the drive side of the axle to give it enough clearance. Unless you need higher gears, my vote would be to stick with the tried and true 6-speed 14-28.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-09-19, 08:38 PM
WilliamK1974

Bikes: Schwinn World, Haro Flightline Sport, Gitane TdF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
Here is a current version of 'Nashbar': https://thebikeshopstore.com/categor.../mtb-cranksets
You can rummage around there for similar FD/RD as well. The pedals should be a no problem swap over. If your housings and perhaps
cables are still vintage 1990s, (and brake pads) I would change all those out as well. Keep the freewheel for now if you don't mind the
largish gaps. ATB cranks are your best bet for wide range shifting for cheap. Sq taper cranks are cheap as well. Nothing wrong with
27" wheels and tires are easily found. Your present RD may be fine with the triple, the FD probably not.

To be clear, Nashbar as such still exists but downsized from what it was. Niagra Cycles is a current era equivalent with a much wider
range of options. Sort of the retail equivalent of what bike shops wholesale from.
So, maybe this crankset: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Ace...item26214973fa
Probably dicker with them on the price a bit.
I also saw one that was more like a 50-40-28. Would that be like making all the gears just a little lower?

And then maybe a Shimano Deore FD that will handle a triple?

Thank you,
-William