Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Specialized Crosstrail owners thread

Old 08-21-19, 06:56 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Unfortunately, this is somewhat common. I have a 2015 Trek Verve with a two-tone black and metallic blue paint scheme, and they could tell me the black was "standard Pantone black" or similar, but they couldn't tell me what the blue was. It would be nice if they would divulge colors to customers -- with them changing nearly every year, I hardly think theft of their intellectual property is a big risk.
I really don't know of any brand or shop that offers touch-up paint the way you can get it for a car, at least partly because most people other than those with high-end road bikes really don't pay much attention to the finish. This is especially true in the case of bikes intended for off-pavement use such as a MTB or even Crosstrail-type hybrids. Those are expected to take some hard knocks and over the years it is bound to show.

That said, I understand how you feel after your brand new purchase ends up with obvious damage after such a minor mishap early on. If you've had bodywork done on your car at a shop where they might remember you, it's possible that they could help you with matching the color. I had some ugly paint damage on a BMW motorcycle that I owned many years ago, and it was going to be particularly tough to refinish since it was a metallic gray with black "smoke" highlighting faded into it. I ended up going to a local guy that builds Harley-based "chopper" style custom bikes and even though a BMW tank and I were entirely out of our element in that crowd, he did a great job of repainting it for me!
Likes For DougG:
Old 08-21-19, 08:03 AM
Bob4southern

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Greetings
I also emailed Specialized about touch up paint and they replied with a canned answer of no but suggested using nail polish...? I'm sure Walgreens would not be amused by my pedaling down their cosmetics aisle trying to match my frame colors...

On another note, is there a way to adjust the hydraulic brakes contact point to lessen some of the free travel before the brakes engage? I know about the reach adjustment but that doesn't quite do it...YMMV
Bob
Likes For Bob4southern:
Old 08-21-19, 08:31 AM
wyd

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roll Elite

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
A few pics from my last ride with my Crosstrail.
This isn't when my bike fell over. That was after this picture was taken at another area.

This is a small creek that runs into the Susquehanna River here in PA.
Likes For wyd:
Old 08-21-19, 08:35 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob4southern
Greetings
I also emailed Specialized about touch up paint and they replied with a canned answer of no but suggested using nail polish...? I'm sure Walgreens would not be amused by my pedaling down their cosmetics aisle trying to match my frame colors...

On another note, is there a way to adjust the hydraulic brakes contact point to lessen some of the free travel before the brakes engage? I know about the reach adjustment but that doesn't quite do it...YMMV
Bob
Two different things: (lever) reach adjust and bite-point adjust. They are independent. Most hydros have the former, but the latter tends to come only on upper-mid/high-end brakes.

AFAIK there is no real way to adjust bite-point on hydraulic discs that don't have the adjustment: essentially, the travel from pad to rotor is 'set' by the distance the seals will retract the pads.
Likes For badger1:
Old 09-03-19, 11:47 AM
wyd

Just ordered some new handlebars to try out and a new top tube phone holder. Can't wait to everything is here this week and I can put the new stuff on and try it all out. Just added a new Serfas Airlift seat as I was lucky enough to find a brand new one (They been discontinued for a few years now) and wow do I really like riding with it. It's so much more comfortable and makes riding my bike even more enjoyable.

Last edited by wyd; 09-04-19 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-04-19, 01:37 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
Few weeks ago, I complained that Specialized only sold the 2 Crosstrails. They now have numerous Crosstrails ranging from the Elite down to many levels below.

Hmmmm, wonder if I complain enough if they will bring back the Lighter alum or carbon Crosstrails, maybe MAYBE with an air shock rather
than coil**********?

Come on Specialized! Canyon Bikes are doing it! (Trek, you could do the same with your DS as well!)

Last edited by travbikeman; 09-04-19 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-23-19, 11:48 AM
wyd

Had my CrossTrail on a really rail trail setup in Jim Thorpe Pa this weekend with a few friends. We did the 25 mile ride along the Lehigh Gorge. Really a nice groomed cinder rail trail. Was really happy with my CrossTrail riding this area as it rode great on that surface. Just an overall really nice ride. If your around the area and have a chance check it out as you won't be disappointed.
Here's just a few pics of the area.

Old 09-24-19, 08:32 AM
Bob4southern

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Squeaks and creaks...

About a week ago my 500 mile old purchased new Crosstrail started to squeak and creak. Seems like it is from the rear but I can't replicate the sound on my bike stand. The sound is there when I pedal or coast...sort of a dull rhythmic metallic rubbing...

I've checked the brake clearances and those are fine...Also pulled both axles and lubed the spokes where they cross each other as well as at the chain guard. Front and back derailleur both are clean and ok as is the chain.

Trying to eliminate possible causes before I take it back to my LBS dealer...I'm thinking maybe hubs and/or bearings but I'm not comfortable pulling those myself out of a reasonably new bike.

Any thoughts about what I could check next?
Old 09-24-19, 10:23 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
How do the bearings feel when you have the wheels out and you spin the axles by hand? They should feel nearly completely smooth. If there's any grittiness, they're probably adjusted too tight. This wouldn't normally create the sound you're hearing, but strange things do sometimes happen. The fact that the sound is there when you coast indicates that it's not in the drivetrain, and has to be something that continues to spin (like brakes or axles).

Can you confirm that the sound doesn't change at all when you transition from power to coasting?
Old 09-25-19, 04:41 AM
Bob4southern

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

The axles felt smooth when I spun them. The squeak and creak sounded the same pedaling and coasting. I've also tried lightly applying the brakes and the sound remained the same.

Not sure what to try next other than a trip to the LBS...
Old 09-26-19, 04:57 AM
hokiefyd 

I guess you may have to have a bike shop check it out. It's very likely not in your drivetrain. I might think something like your freehub (which spins on its bearings when you coast), but the noise is still there when you pedal. You said you're sure it's not in the brakes and you've checked that they're not rubbing. Lightly dragging them to check if the noise is still there is a good check. And it is, so it's probably not that. I don't know what else it could be, other than perhaps a tire. I wouldn't expect a bike tire to make noise like that, but you could dismount the tires complete and swap them front and rear and remount. This would give you an opportunity to inspect the tires for any damage, failed casing, etc. The act of dismounting and remounting them might upset whatever wear pattern had taken place. It's a long shot, but about the only suggestion I have left.

You can also post this in the Bicycle Mechanics subforum. They may have additional ideas.
Old 09-26-19, 05:09 AM
pinsonp2 

Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.1 WSD, 2010 Specialized Amira Elite, 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Is it a thru axle? If so, you might put a tiny bit of grease on the axle and thread. Cured my creaks (or at least the ones on the bike). YMMV

P2
Old 09-27-19, 08:46 AM
Bob4southern

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Two bike friendly neighbors stopped by while I was poking around and one suggested checking the spokes for tightness.

Sure enough, one was loose...a few turns of his spoke wrench and the creak was gone. I should now buy my own wrench.

Thanks for your replies and suggestions....much appreciated...
Likes For Bob4southern:
Old 09-27-19, 08:57 AM
hokiefyd 

I'm glad you found it!
Old 09-28-19, 03:04 PM
HAM5terForever

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thought might be use to people if you have the 2015 specialized Crosstrail fitted with the suntour NCXi fork.

After having the rebound cap flip off thanks to a stray concor. I manage by the help of the suntour site to work out the fork is :

NCX-D-DS-RL 700C TS 255/0

It's in the SBC products variant under NCX

With the exploding diagram being found as :

SF15-SBC-NCX-D-DS-SRL-700-50.pdf

SBC = Specialized Bike Company

Also rebound caps can be sourced from Suntour UK imports for around 4 - 5 quid plus 4 quid postage.

Hopefully it's useful to the community when sourcing parts for likely the 2015 to 2016 pre brain yrs.

Also the exploded diagram should answer air / coil debate.

Have a good one.
Old 04-01-20, 06:48 PM
Bill1227

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Still Rolling My Custom CT

Still Rolling My Custom Crosstrail
Likes For Bill1227:
Old 04-03-20, 01:04 AM
Namyangju

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I remember when I bought the Crosstrail Disc back in 2014. I was so excited about the purchase and loved the bike at the shop that I didn't even realize that I was not getting the bike that I had researched (an Elite or Sport, can't remember). I remember thinking that I was getting a great deal, not realizing I was looking at a lower quality level bike. It took a couple of weeks to realize what I had done, and I was so disappointed. I hadn't gotten a deal at all. Six years later, and I couldn't be happier with what I purchased. That bike has logged many miles and really taken punishment, and has required almost no maintenance. Solid as a rock, bullet-proof.
Likes For Namyangju:
Old 04-03-20, 03:11 PM
travbikeman

I no longer use my Crosstrail, but have set it up so my teenage son now rides it when we're on Rail to Trails or the C&O canal rides. Unfortunately, riding has come to a halt and both of our bikes are now on the trainers until the virus issue is somewhat resolved. But after owning this for 5 years and putting around 3500 miles on it, I have changed a lot to it. Last month the Alivio rear derailleur finally wore out and had to replace. My first picture, I had put the bike back to near stock, with the original suspension and other parts. My son rode it for a while and realized how much better these bikes ride on these trail rather than mountain bikes. He liked going faster. So I've put all the newer parts back on and for now, no longer going to sell it. He likes the RockShox Paragon much better. As well as the saddle that was on my Sub Cross.

Last edited by travbikeman; 04-03-20 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-04-20, 07:43 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
As I've mentioned before, I bought a Crosstrail Comp in January 2013 when they first came out, and it has been my favorite and longest-lived bike so far. It's outlasted a couple of road bikes, but road bikes are more easily obsoleted by new technology, etc. My Crosstrail has certainly taken me on some fun adventures from riding across Missouri to riding from Pittsburgh to Washington D.C. a couple of times.

Anyway, I'm going to be keeping it for a while, but I finally made some concessions to my age recently when I picked up a new Specialized Vado e-bike. After riding it a few times recently, I've found that -- like the dealer said -- it closely matches the geometry of the Crosstrail. It's like riding a faster and heavier Crosstrail, although there's some things I do with the Crosstrail that I wouldn't take on with the Vado, or at least until I understand some of the differences the added weight makes (it weighs a little over 50lbs).

Yeah, I know, not crazy about the fenders but I'll leave them on for now. Also note that it has the same "Trigger Sport" tires that the Crosstrail comes with, but in 700x47 size.
Old 04-04-20, 08:48 AM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
My 2018 Crosstrail Sport is perfect for this environment being its an old limestone quarry with 14 lakes and ponds carved throughout the hundreds of acres. It's mostly packed limestone and solid limestone trails with some sand rocks and grass mixed in
After this ride on Wednesday they closed the Weekiwachee Preserve NW of Tampa, FL because idiots couldn't follow the separation rules and decided to have 50 plus people beer and swim parties. Swimming was never allowed here anyways. I mean - you really have to work at breaking the self distancing rules here of 6 feet. So not the morons made them to close it to all of us...

Old 04-04-20, 06:58 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by DougG
As I've mentioned before, I bought a Crosstrail Comp in January 2013 when they first came out, and it has been my favorite and longest-lived bike so far. It's outlasted a couple of road bikes, but road bikes are more easily obsoleted by new technology, etc. My Crosstrail has certainly taken me on some fun adventures from riding across Missouri to riding from Pittsburgh to Washington D.C. a couple of times.

Anyway, I'm going to be keeping it for a while, but I finally made some concessions to my age recently when I picked up a new Specialized Vado e-bike. After riding it a few times recently, I've found that -- like the dealer said -- it closely matches the geometry of the Crosstrail. It's like riding a faster and heavier Crosstrail, although there's some things I do with the Crosstrail that I wouldn't take on with the Vado, or at least until I understand some of the differences the added weight makes (it weighs a little over 50lbs).

Yeah, I know, not crazy about the fenders but I'll leave them on for now. Also note that it has the same "Trigger Sport" tires that the Crosstrail comes with, but in 700x47 size.
That's a nice Bike! I've noticed the past two years, Specialized appears to be doing less with updating or selling higher end Crosstrails here in the U.S. Seems to me that they have been putting more money into these new e-hybrids. Most likely a better money making venture. I'm certain when I get older, I will be getting one of these as well just to keep me on the trails. Will admit, it was kind of nice late last year to see an older couple that had ebikes on the C&O canal. They told me they would never have been able to ride the canal if it wasn't for the ebike to help them.
Old 04-05-20, 06:57 AM
hokiefyd 

E-bikes have been completely transformational to my parents. They have four total; two purchased as e-bikes and two converts. My dad rides 3-4k miles a year in hilly St. George, UT.

What surprised me the most is the seat comfort, even after 2-3 hours. When you have the bike assisting you, your bum is far less sore after so many hours on the bike.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 04-07-20, 04:12 PM
metzoid235

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi all! 2017 XL Crosstrail owner here. I'm still riding the stock Trigger 38C tyres, but recently i've been getting into trail riding and I think I need something a bit knobby. Does anyone know if this bike will take a 29x2.1 tyre on the rear? If not i'll look for a 29x1.9. My LBS has some tyres called CST Critter 29x2.1 and there's not much info online about them.
Old 04-08-20, 09:06 AM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by metzoid235
Hi all! 2017 XL Crosstrail owner here. I'm still riding the stock Trigger 38C tyres, but recently i've been getting into trail riding and I think I need something a bit knobby. Does anyone know if this bike will take a 29x2.1 tyre on the rear? If not i'll look for a 29x1.9. My LBS has some tyres called CST Critter 29x2.1 and there's not much info online about them.
Take a look at the pictures here of some mountain bike tires on the Crosstrail:

https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-...der-tyres.html

Doesn't look like you will have much room for anything larger than a 29x2.0 on the rear.

CST supposedly is a large tire manufacturer. I don't have experience with them, but seems as if the tire you are stating is a nice affordable tire. Plenty of sites selling them online, but no real reviews.
Old 04-08-20, 12:58 PM
hokiefyd 

I'm pretty sure CST = Cheng Shin Tire.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheng_Shin_Rubber
Likes For hokiefyd:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.